Who /ozu/ here?

Who /ozu/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CWHNXJ1K4yA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is this a Japanese west side story?

OP, are you a mizoguchi fan?

I have been watching some old Japanese films, and it seems like the dad from Tokyo Story keeps popping up. He's in Godzilla; he has a cameo in Floating Weeds; he's a monk in one of the stories in Kwaidan; he's in Ikiru... who IS that guy? He's a good actor.

I've only seen Ugetsu and I totally loved it. Pure masterpiece in every way.

I have the same problem with the dude from Rashomon, Seven Samurai etc. I don't like it when a director cast the same people for every film.

Soooo THAT makes you don't like a team of John Wayne & Ford either huh !?

Who is the Ozu of USA?

Oh yea this guy too lmao. I don't want to hate on great films and great directors, and I won't. But I still think it is better when you cast different people in your films. It makes them feel special. When I see the same face again and again, I start associating him with the characters of other films, which I shouldn't.

Nevermind; I looked it up. I confused two different actors - Ryū Chishū and himura Takashi - with each other. They were born within a year of each other and look kind of similar.

The older I get the harder this movie hits home...

No one really... Ozu is unique, prove me wrong

Im not into Ozu already but Im coming. iM starting with the floating weeds. i have already seen the oNly son which is pretty fucking great

>Shimura Takashi
yea I know this guy too, rashomon, ikiru, 7 samurai, the list goes on

I saw Tokyo Story but didn't fall in love instantly. It came later. The realization of how brilliant his directing is. His characters are not doing anything, LITERALLY NOTHING HAPPENS, they don't express much emotions, camera NEVER moves, etc, yet this film is the strongest drama cinema has ever seen.

I'm rooting for this film to hit #1 in Sight & Sound poll in 2022.

>nothing happened
I think things happened actually. It's just all polite and covered up. But slowly and surely it professes to the inevitable conclusion.

I like the modern remake better. It's simply better.

There are more Ozu wannabes in Taiwan and China.

His style and themes are just harder to do in USA.

>It's just all polite and covered up
well that's what I meant
>I like the modern remake better. It's simply better.
seriously?????

Alexander Payne

Prove me wrong.

>Alexander Payne
No idea who that is, I found his most acclaimed movie and saw a trailer. The only similarity is that it's also about a family. The rest is different.
youtube.com/watch?v=CWHNXJ1K4yA

I will never like a remake, with very very very few possible exceptions. This is pointless and just plain bad, when some hack is taking classic masterpiece created by genius and just refilm the same shit but obviously x10 (at least) times worse because he has neither mastery nor inspiration the original director had.

is there a more crushing scene in Ozu-kino?