Vinyl

Been wanting to start a vinyl collection. Any recommendations for players? Not looking for one too expensive but I don't want a piece of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Audio-Systeme-Premium-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01BO356A0/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1497739855&sr=1-1&keywords=vinyl player
amazon.com/Reloop-RP-2000-M-Turntable-Quartz-Metallic/dp/B00FJY8LGC
youtu.be/357L0SbUuME
ionaudio.com/products/details/classic-lp
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rule 1: If you care at all about the quality of your records, be sure to purchase a table with a counterweight.

This itself is probably going to run you above $150+ (unless you find a used table), but you'll save money on records in the long run.

amazon.com/Audio-Systeme-Premium-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B01BO356A0/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1497739855&sr=1-1&keywords=vinyl player

It might be for faggots be /r/vinyl has a pretty good wiki for avoiding shitty tables.

I started with a Teac TN 300 and am very satisfied. It would probably benefit from an external pre amp though.

Audio-Technica AT-LP120 is pretty standard but you gotta be prepared to spend a bit of money to get a table that won't treat your records like a nail file

Pro ject has some good entry level tables,

if you're really strapped for cash this is a good option amazon.com/Reloop-RP-2000-M-Turntable-Quartz-Metallic/dp/B00FJY8LGC
I've had mine for a year and it works fine for just listening to your records

Ive had an LP60 for roughly a year and half as a starter turntable. It has no counter weight. Are my records actually being that seriously degraded by play on this device? Im planning on upgrading at some point next year when I get some extra cash, but is there a legit source on how different tables treat your records??

shit, I've been using a basic Steepletone until I found the one I wanted come back into market for a more reasonable price.
are my rec.s fukd? I haven't noticed a degrade of quality.

Do they look anything like this? If so, you'd better stop using it any time.

youtu.be/357L0SbUuME

record players destroying records is a myth

t. Crosley salesman

almost

see Not necessarily immediate destruction, but they will wear your records out much faster than good turntables.

Posting this in case

I got in 2014, so 'tis more modern. Just a shitty belt–driven one.

That doesn't mean anything. Besides, all those cheap-ass players are belt-drive, but not all belt-drives are shit, like the Rega/Pro-Ject turntables

No, you're OK. There is some slim chance that the weight of the arm on that table is a little on the high side, but even then, you'll probably never live to see that table hurt those records. They'll get dusty and fucked up from you moving quicker than the table will hurt them.

Vinyl is really hard to find good resources on because it's feel of below-entry-level shitheels and blowhard freaks who will tell you that you need a $750 dollar preamp, or else you mine as well be listening to Hit Clips.

ANYWAY,
The ATLP120 is an incredibly handsome, strong, and versatile table that could probably be the end of that turntable road for you. It's a great table at an extremely fair price (around $250).

The other tables in its class (Pro-Jects, Regas) are OK, but they lack functionality, are meaningfully more expensive, and this last one is just me--but they're hyper-modern in a way that already looks really silly. I feel like I can look at a Rega and I immediately know just who it's for. Maybe you'll know what I mean, maybe you'll be way into it. I hear they're quality tables.

Now, the main caveat of that ATLP120 is that is has a built-in preamp. Now, with a careful hand, you could wire in a preamp yourself, but for what it's worth, the built-in preamp is more than OK.

I'm really enjoying my AudioEngine A5+ speakers, but they're about $400, and I haven't really done my homework. They've made me extremely happy, though.

The bottom line is, don't let blowhard weirdos jerk you around. You can get a massive bang for your buck, and have a pretty simple set up for like ~$650. And unless you fall down a rabbit hole, that set up could be something you could feel good about forever.

Your ATLP60 is the best table in its price range, bar none. You definitely get a massive quality and functional bump by moving up to the ATLP120, but that's up to you.

Check out Lifehacker and Gizmodo's articles on turntables and speakers, they're incredibly useful. Good luck!

Preciate the non meme response man youve put my mind at ease

saved,
dankje.
the one in this image

The same shit basically, but with a different skin

For a beginner you're good with anything that doesn't have the receiver and god forbid speakers built in.
This was alarmingly low priced but after testing it out, comparing the specs and looking at the design I went with it since my old direct drive table was having issues and it was too ancient to fix. (Plus it took like these little syringe needles that were a huge pain to get and replace)
Hooked it up to my nice receiver and speakers and it honestly sounds better than my old nicer one, granted that may be do to it be used with goofy old needles. Though I miss its ability to stack and autodrop records to create a playlist of album sides

forgot link

ionaudio.com/products/details/classic-lp