/criterion-core/

What are some /criterion-core/ films?
And why do we mock people who like films released by this distributor?

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/bfi-top-50-greatest-films.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3wDBHIU_Wno
youtube.com/watch?v=PY1WX2uS34I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Criterion enables people to buy and watch old movies of quality in high definition to the simple man.

Which in turn makes the Sup Forums autist lose a bit of self worth because they believe torrenting an old movie from private trackers and than watching it makes them better than everyone else. That is because they don't have an established position in society or their local community and have no sense of how the real world works.

It makes the Sup Forums autist mad, resentful and he copes with it by mocking and ridiculing the people who are actually above him.

I fucked your mother son of a bitch

you must be 18 to post here. reported.

This was good. It even comes with a creased foldout poster.

I don't relaly understand what i'm supposed to do in this thread? Do i just post criterion movies i like? or movies that are in the same vein as criterion movies?

Recent Criterion's I've watched:

The Steel Helmet:
Surprisingly light-hearted for a war movie. The racism themes were very well approached. Nowhere near as amazing as I was lead to believe, but a very tight film, with great acting, fantastic character development and a real vision.

Rififi:
Was my second time seeing it. i'm a sucker for "perfectly planned heists that have 1 loose end" movies, but this one is much much more than that. Another very tightly written script. Every scene is important and no second of screen time is wasted. Rarely do movies of this era make the city feel so alive and real. Of course the heist scene is simply amazing, but I almost prefer the scenes leading up to it. Plus the ending really sticks with you.
This is such a perfect summary of this website

>Sup Forums hates thing because they don't have an established position in society and have no sense of how the real world works

>mfw people list their favorite comedy movies of all time and they forget to include Jacques Tati
Playtime and Mon Oncle are works of genius OP. But be ready for lots of slow bits where you aren't laughing where Tati is setting up like 20 gags at once that eventually all fall at the same time like dominoes and make you cry with laughter.

Underage, reported.

>what are some Criterion-core films
Uhh... films that say Criterion Collection on them

Playtime has some great cinematography, that I can not deny, but as for comedy, I'm sorry but I cannot laugh at a sounding chair 30 times in a row. As a matter of fact I couldn't even laugh the 1st time. But cinematography is good.

Guys please tell me are these better or worse than Criterion? Or the same?
shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/bfi-top-50-greatest-films.html

not all his jokes make a solid landing but the ones that do are the best in the industry. see: the restaurant scene.

Well they're certainly not as expertly designed. As for the restoration quality, I couldn't tell you.

I saw an entire film and never even smiled. But I admired cinematography so I'm not gonna hate on it. If you want examples of funny classic comedy from me - City Lights. Modern comedy - Meet the Parents trilogy.

that's kinda cold. you didn't even laugh when the doorman accidentally destroys the transparent glass door he's watching and just holds up the doorknob in the air to pretend that the door still exists and people believe him?

>BFI
more like BTFO by Criterion's prints

I never smiled. Maybe I'm satiated with humor, I don't know. But then again, a film from 1931 can make me laugh.

Well that's what I thought. I'm still wondering, what sourced do they use? Many of the Criterion films also start with Janus Films logo, so I suggest they use the same source, but the whole quality of release with bonus materials etc must be inferior to Criterion.

>And why do we mock people who like films released by this distributor
Sup Forums's fragile identity is dented when people are able to see films that might have been somewhat obscure ten years ago somewhat more conveniently
It doesn't matter if they in fact haven't seen the movies they're deriding the other person for watching.

Criterion not only tries to get the highest quality prints that exist, they often also often work with the director/cinematographer to make sure the color/grain etc. is as close to their original vision as possible

youtube.com/watch?v=3wDBHIU_Wno

FUCKING LE SAMOURAI CRITERION RELEASE WHEN?!?!?!?!

I'm still torrenting movies (including Criterion). I'm always trying to get full blu-ray, but I couldn't find some of them in the best quality. Right now I'm like 1 inch away from going ahead and buying some Criterion blu-rays. It was never about me having not enough money, it was always only about laziness. Not only I have to purchase stuff, I have to insert the disk every time I want to watch a film, instead of just opening a folder. And I don't even have optical drive on PC because I don't need it.

>but I couldn't find some of them in the best quality
Join PTP faggot

the year a movie is made means jackshit. Duck Soup is old as fuck but makes me laugh like a hyena. I just don't think you went into Playtime with the right mindset because it's got objectively incredible jokes throughout.

like that guy that's selling an innovative new type of door that's completely silent. Hulot visits his booth at the inventions fair and fucks around with the guy's desk. The guy gets so pissed that leaves by slamming the door with anger to send Hulot a message about how angry he is, but because it's a silent door Hulot doesn't even hear it.

wait until a sale m8. i think barnes and noble does a huge one every year.

Hey I'm working on it. I'm on What already, but that's it so far. Gotta work on my ratio and find some friends, right?

I remember each and every scene you just described, but I guess for each his own taste in humor. And again, not that I'm hating on Playtime, great film.

Damn, just found out PTP no longer offers invites on the PU forum on What
I got into PTP about the same time I became PU on What

Well as I said it's not about money. If I decide to go for it, I will start by purchasing about 20 films right away to create a collection, and then proceed. But I still feel more comfortable settling with my torrents and creating digital collection, even though some of them are 720p rips.

do you at least get that these are mechanically brilliant jokes? whether you laugh is subjective but the logic behind a gag is observable.

I'm saying that if you wait for a sale you can probably get like 2x what you normally would get.

Yea that's right. I'm currently relying more on making some friends rather than becoming elite, as getting upload credits is almost impossible. Or not getting invite ever, not a tragedy after all.

how do I get into collecting criterions? they look nice and have quite a few movies I'd like but $30 per movie is a bit steep

>And I don't even have optical drive on PC
can PC blu ray drives even play movies? I've seen very mixed things.

Alright, if I decide to go for it, I'll wait for sale. What I'm interested in, I think, is this (what I couldn't get in the best quality), and I'm not sure they are all released by Criterion:
The Passion of Joan of Arc
The General
Greed
Ivan the Terrible I-II
Pather Panchali
The Magnificent Ambersons
Les enfants du paradis
Hiroshima mon amour
That's what comes to mind first.

If you are passionate about movies (like I am) you wouldn't mind spending any money for them. Focus on what you want for collection, what you're planning on rewatching several times.

If they can't it's lmao, because I'm not going to buy some blu-ray player just to play some films I can torrent anyway.

>If they can't it's laughing my ass off
what did he mean by this

>And why do we mock people who like films released by this distributor?
I'm under the impression that this has more to do with the people who derive way too much of their taste in film from criterion and don't explore much else, than anything to do with the films themselves.

Recently I watched:
Woman in the Dunes - recommend to anyone
Paris, Texas - recommend to anyone
House (1977) - recommend to weebs
Spirit of the Beehive - recommend to cinematography junkies/fans of Frankenstein
Through a Glass Darkly - recommend to anyone

It means I'm laughing on the fact (if it is true) that I have to bother so much on playing expensive Criterion releases, and the fact they are not focusing on supporting PC users.

I know, I'm just busting your balls. It's not criterion's fault their movies don't have proper support on PC though, Sony's licensing keeps blu ray playback from ever being as simple as DVD.

So it's true after all. Well that makes the chances of me purchasing my 1st blu-ray Criterion even lower. Considering the fact most of the time I can torrent full 40 gb blu-ray with bonuses.

I have a fix for you. I collect the highest quality Criterion films in DRM-free digital files. Check out my art project at goldage.org

Yeah it really does suck. I'd recommend some 3rd party software like PowerDVD but I've heard about that being sketchy at best.

Is that was Rififi is about? So I'm gonna watch another heist movie where the heist is ruined by an idiot who does something dumb or otherwise not realistic to further the plot along?

kill yourself

That's some spooky link you posted, do you expect me to click it? Just upload your shit on TPB aight?

Honestly what I want is Criterion making available downloading blu-rays in digital format online for money. Without any restrictions whatsoever. I would then make an account and pay them for downloading my films. If they would not leak on public trackers. Or they can somehow make them only available from my account. As long as it is blu-ray quality I would go for it.

I'm guessing that link is a golden shower website

I don't think I even want to know what that is.

How is criterion with the dnr, film integrity and such? Are the extras generally well-done?

it's when someone urinates on another person

>dnr
Department of Natural Resources?

I mean, yes in a way, but it's so strong in all other regards that it's still very much worth watching even if you despise that trope. That stuff pisses me off too, but usually i can suspend my disbelief (by conjuring up some idea about criminals being dumb and emotional) long enough to get over it.

This is exactly what my art museum does. Except file transfers are all done offline, hard drive to hard drive. Check it out at goldage.org

youtube.com/watch?v=PY1WX2uS34I

Hey why

why do that...

Criterion Blu-ray when?

>goldage.org
not clicking you shit lmao, don't even try

fuck if I know ask the guy trying to convince you it's a movie sharing site

Criterion Blu-ray when?

criterion when?

I thought this was insufferable. I can't stand characters that don't just speak up for themselves and let bad things happen. Grant's character does the same thing in North By North West and it bothers me there too

Criterion when?

>implying you wouldn't let prime Kate Hepburn turn your life upside-down and take you on wild adventures

Criterion when?

Gross. Ingrid Bergman or Grace Kelly are superior colorless waifus.

Is this not the b&w girls thread?

She's not even *that* attractive but Stanwyck in The Lady Eve is the most erotic thing ever

I'd rather have Gene Tierney than either of those slags

Pretty pumped about this getting a Criterion release in November

check mate

Criterion when?

>you will never be Tarzan to Maureen O'Sullivan's Jane

Can't tell if you're joking...

The entire Qatsi Trilogy is on criterion.

alright... what about this?

I thought they were setting something up with Noe when they did the library visit video with him

Already has one but just in DVD though

>you will never strangle her on a river boat and run away with your bad bitch city gf
why live

Disney has distribution rights to Ghibli

Anything with a samurai, my man. So happy because amazon mistakenly put this up for $40 and I nabbed it real quick before they bumped it up to $100. Now I just have to wait until november to get it.

Me too senpai. Cant believe it took this long for the movie to get a Bluray release.

Hell yeah, I've been meaning to catch the series for a while, so a Criterion release with the $40 price error was a dream come true.

Criterion when?

me on the right

I'm glad at least His Girl Friday is getting a blu release.

Criterion when?