What went wrong?

What went wrong?

>make bad movies
>surprised when they don't do well

Bad movies used to make billions of dollars

The box office is about to crash and burn. Eventually theaters will just hold big tentpole features, everything else will be VOD.

No DVDs. No ownership.

It's what Spielberg and Lucas predicted. Look at the 2018 movie season. Virtually every weekend from May to September will have an "important" tentpole film, and it'll all collapse on itself.

2016 has barely made any money relatively, and it's only going to get worse. Unless we get another 70s where they let young filmmmakers go crazy and make great films again, it won't recover.

Not capeshit. Get with the times family.

Who's the audience for a Ben-Hur remake? You either love the original or you've never fucking heard of it and have no interest.

I wanna call you an idiot, however 2016 has been utterly shit for movies so you might be right.

>Finest Hours
That movie doesn't deserve to be on the list. It was a good movie. I guess you have to be into ships, sea and naval stuff. It's based on a true story and it's realistic. Sure the whole 'he's the smartest guy on this ship' is a bit cheesy, but whatever.

>Star Trek Beyond
First half of the film is pure trek.
Second half is utter shit.

Angry Birds actually did pretty well considering the budget and source material. As for the rest, thisplus general blockbuster movie fatigue

>That movie doesn't deserve to be on the list. It was a good movie.
The list isn't about quality, it's about studios hemorrhaging billions of dollars

I think OP means that most/all of these movies flopped or underperformed

TMNT2 had no reason to be as good as it was.
Its sad that thats my movie of the year so far. I mean, it was a solid 8.5-9/10, but that shouldnt be my movie of the year.

neo-neo-neo-nu/tv/ everyone

Where's Dawn of JUST and Career Suicide Squad?

>Blockbuster bubble is about to burst

I fucking can't wait.

>Unless we get another 70s where they let young filmmmakers go crazy and make great films again, it won't recover.

I think Spielberg and Lucas were right on it changing but I do see us entering another film renaissance. Moving into VoD they'll save millions on distribution and that should be invested into film production. They'll need to attract subscribers and keep them and content will be king. They'll need to be producing a shitload of new content constantly which should provide a bevy of new opportunities for emerging or talented film makers without the constraints of market appeal, box office returns and all that bullshit.

What was wrong with it then?
It had solid acting, good set pieces, tons of throwbacks to the originals, look damn good, was a ton of fun and was well written (knew what it was and played it up).

So go on. Tell me why its bad.

They'll still have to worry about market appeal in a way as what ever VOD service most likely wont be a subscription but $10-$12 per film. And I'm sure we'll still get ads so they'll have to appeal to that.

But yeah another service that is subscribtion only for all the smaller films COULD work, but only if they are strong enough to kill Netflix.

By row.

>Adaption that did okay
>Over-budgetted middle finger to old time fans
>Sequel CGI spectacle to an average CGI spectacle
>Sequel (prequel?) to a subpar adaption of a beloved classic
>Remake literally nobody wanted or new existed

>No Will Smith. No View.
>Shitty flick with a fat cow adapted from a run of the mill tween book series.
>FUCKING WHITE MALES
>Burton needed to stop a decade ago.
>Angry Birds hype train stopped two years ago.

>Sequel to a cult classic, what were they thinking?
>What even is this
>Vidyakino; only the huskiest of neckbears care
>DUDE WEED
>Shit.

I thought Star Trek Beyond received positive reviews... and sweet cash too.

BvS isn't a summer blockbuster and SS did well

I can't wait. I have my own theatre.

God I hope so. As long as Alamo Drafthouse keeps showing classics in 35MM, that's the only reason I go to the theater anymore.

BvS

I took my gf's down syndrome brother to see it and fell asleep 30 minutes in.

BFG was bad? Well that's a disappointment.

Sorry, but that doesnt say a single thing about the movie or its quality, just your bad taste in women.

Netflix will be making their own movies, like they did with Beasts of No Nation. There will be a streaming service for every studio, as well as youtube and amazon which are moving into content creation. We'll need to pick and choose which services we have at any one time.

Why do you put Angry Birds in there?

>Budget $73 million
>Box office $346.6 million

Oh yeah, muh Rotten Tomatoes

Wasn't the guy who said it was shit and I have no thoughts on the movie. I was just sharing my experience.

I unapologetically enjoyed Warcraft.

>HOW DARE YOU RETURN HERE
>YOU PIECE OF SHIT
>WE KICKED YOU OUT! YOU GOT REAL BALLS SHOWING BACK UP HERE
>YOUR NOTHING BUT A SACK OF MURLOC SHIT WHO LIVES TO BE FUCKED BY FUTAS!
Who is Alodi?
>wut....

That 'wut' moment was the best moment in that entire movie (followed by him looking so god damn blazed out on arcane magic that he wasnt even looking in the right direction the entire ending coronation)

Did her son at least enjoy it?

You forgot BvS and Squad Squad

But they were awful movies.
Should we congratulate transformers movies too since they make money?

Well they flopped because they were shit. Not a single movie on that list is good except Finest Hours and ST Beyond (half-good).

Hollywood is so in love with itself and always on cocaine that they can't objectively look at themselves and see when they've made a shit film.

Or just torrent everything like always :^)

But yeah, Netflix doesn't have as much power over Hollywood as, say, Spotify does over music or Steam does over vivian james.

Is it just because the movie industry is so much bigger? I know the music industry was massive and ancient too but they were on their death bed when Spotify showed up which must be good leverage.

Beyond is great
TMNT is alright fun shlock

the rest are shit, yeah