Sup Forums I'm fucking DESPERATE. I missed a Humble Bundle. The gamedev one with Pyxel Edit in it...

Sup Forums I'm fucking DESPERATE. I missed a Humble Bundle. The gamedev one with Pyxel Edit in it. I'm searching high and low for a download. I want to try it before I buy it. Any help?

g2a you newfag

G2A is a fuckin scam and it's not a game. Does G2A do software?

It's garbage. The interface is shit. Try pyxel edit. There is a free beta and if you want the finished pro version it's real cheap

Do you have any suggestions for alternative programs? It seemed like they were selling on the fact that it had a singular purpose. Are you telling me it does a shit job at the thing it was made for?

It's a mess to learn. Go look up their official tutorials and it should give you an idea of the quality of their program. At risk of sounding like a commercial, PyxelEdit is easy and most people I recommend it to find it does what they need. Especially for tile sets

Oh and piskelApp is completely free and I think they even have an in browser version. It's basic but not bad for sprites
I imagine you're looking for affordable stuff

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like SUPER poor but I can't even throw the 10$ at Pyxel Edit right now.

I'll check out Piskel. Thanks for the help.

Seriously try the beta of edit. Even without the pro features I used it for months before buying. I happened to have just been given a key from a friend who got that humble bundle and after being so disappointed Went researching for other free options.
Are you working on a game?

I'll definitely try it. I was just afraid of the reverse. I didn't want to risk getting hooked and not being able to buy it right now.

I've been tinkering around with Unity a lot lately and I'm enjoying it so far. I just want to toy around with things without having to steal assets from other places.

Nice, I've been using Unity too. Hope you end up liking it enough to keep it. They announced some nice features for 2d development but they've been pushed for awhile now.

Wtf

I think my biggest problem right now would be just lack of knowledge but obviously that's able to be dealt with over time.

Do you do 3d or 2d? A friend of mine a while back taught me how to use Blender and modeling wasn't super tough. But I can't imagine animation.

I do a bit of both but because it's just me I prefer 2d. I'm used to maya but that's obviously too expensive to actually use professionally. I should learn blender and it's controls. I tried once using its maya layout and I just couldn't adapt. Animation isn't too hard, it's the rigging that really can be difficult. Rigging a character up so when parts are moved it all bends right md still looks good is a real challenge but it makes animation super easy because you are just moving a puppet. Well not super easy but definitely better

I got super into 2d animation forever ago back when Flash and Pivot were cool. I developed a habit of embracing frame by frame animation which I think is a MASSIVE handicap for getting into 3d. OverAPI has a good cheat sheet for Blender's controls. If you know Maya well enough, that might be able to just help you translate your knowledge.

I read stuff about IK constraints for realistic movement in certain joints and stuff. From there is it just like learning 3d's equivalent of animation tween or am over simplifying?

I'm rather the same when it comes to animation. I've always struggled with anything not frame by frame. So I don't know many 3D animation techniques. With rigging in maya I was taught how to make the small tweaks like a muscle flexing when an arm bends all within the rig so you didn't have to worry about it come animation time. Something like this I suppose vimeo,com/204601876 where you make small tweaks as needed but it's just about positioning a puppet with a lot of joints

>vimeo,com/204601876
Holy shit that rig is intense. I could live with something hundreds of levels more simple haha.

I could talk about this shit for hours but I feel like this thread has lived longer than it needed to. I have a billion more questions. Do you have any complete games or whatever you have uploaded somewhere? Or an animation reel of your own?

Shamefully no, nothing to really speak of game wise. I've done some school type projects but they're nothing to be proud of. I once wanted to get into doing some sort of art for games, especially concept. Wasn't really working out so now I'm a programmer who's trying to make a game when I'm not working. Just started this year on my first personal project that I hope to have finished before next year
How bout you?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have SOOO many ideas but I haven't tried seriously translating any of them into something tangible until recently. That's kinda why I'm shopping around for programs.

I wouldn't mind chatting more. I love talking about this stuff. You have a throwaway contact? Either way I'm probably taping out now. Goodnight user and if you don't end up wanting to contact goodluck on your project!

Yeah go ahead and shoot me an email at [email protected]