Indie dev AMA

indie dev AMA

Sini yuk yuk

Are your parents able to mask their shame?

They actually support me fully.

opengl or direct x

opengl, because portability. I'm going to release on Windows, macOS and Linux.

make another retro 8/16bit inspired platformer or not?

no. but the game I'm working on is thematically retro, based in the 80s, during the BBS era

c or c++

is that what everyone has been doing for the last 6 or 7 years ?

C++ is my favorite language so C++ for game dev. C is great too but I only use it for microcontroller projects.

if you mean retro platformers, yeah. what I'm doing has never been done before. I'm cornering a very niche market with big potential.

any screen shots ? github account ?

what platform(s) ?

Windows, macOS and Linux, OK, did not read all.

screen of actual game play. i get chills play testing myself

text adventure ? damn hard to find and audience for that these says

autoexec and config.sys ?

op's opinion on the demoscene ?

What does a dick taste like?

I'd like to see a 15 secs vid of your game.. is that possible?

>demoscene

I haven't delved into it too much but am super impressed with the few that I've seen. I want to get 8088 MPH on my IBM 5160.

there will be yes. I want the in game operating system to be super faithful to the original PC DOS.

there will be text adventure minigames with 69,105 leaves. but the bulk of gameplay will consist of hacking and exploring BBS systems... and siding with / warring BBS factions.

complete with 16 color ANSI "graphics"

nice dubs.

not yet. I've spent the past couple months working the script engine and dev tools I will be using to make ingame content. there's not a whole lot to show, even though a lot of the back end is pretty much done. i should actually be working on the story right now, but somehow ended up on Sup Forums instead.

what parts of the game are you working on? animation/3Dmodeling/coding/leveldesign and what are your tips for students getting into the industry?

What's India like? Is it summer there now?

What kind of concept are you going with ??

what other titles have you made that qualify you as an indie dev. good enough to give advice ?

im not OP, but im a videogame dev student.
Find the thing you like the most, there are a lot of options to do in videogame industry (most are more valuable than anothers)

WORK A LOT! Videomage industry is a son of a bitch. You must spend time learning things and improving your skills

Take a step back when the king is coming.

and you have to move from you home to where the jobs are. or try you luck being an indie which is very hard these days

literally everything. 3d modelling, programming, the story, even the music.

The only 3D models in the game will be, at the least, the monitor and computer. They're already roughed out. I'm either going to redo them by hand, or 3D scan my IBM PC in.

It depends on what you mean by industry. I work for myself by myself. Once my game is released I want to reinvest the earnings to develop a small team to work on some bigger projects. You have to be self sufficient and determined. I've been working on this game for a year and a half straight. It's a lot of work, but the payoff will be nice.

If you mean getting in with a studio, I can't offer any advice. I've never worked with a team.

holy shit it's Karli kloss, femprogrammer extraordinaire

I'm an indie game dev, not a startup.

none. I've been programming most of my life and used to make games as a hobby, but whenever I got bored of a project I would move on. years down the road my life was headed nowhere so I decided to do what I enjoy and what I'm good at.

i play cs almost daily and I'm still so bad at it

curses! I've been had! what tipped you off?

How can you play it daily while being bad?
Maybe try readjusting mouse settings and resolution?

I'm super inconsistent. Sometimes I play so well I amaze myself, sometimes my reaction time / aim is super bad. Practicing doesn't help when I'm playing bad, I start to get worse.

Is the story any good, OP?

the good players almost always play a deathmach games for an hour or so to warm up there aiming, and practice with diffrent weapons, and soon as you die you respawn. you get in so much more play time, rather than wating for rounds to finish. also watch demos of pro players, give people wanting to get better good insight

thx man, godspeed
that's sick

indie devs are the driving force of the industry atm and it's great to see people be able to do more than one aspect of the game

i'm planning on making my own studio too desu

Most people could land themselves in the higher ranks if only they set everything up properly.
If you really wanna improve you should try playing at 500 dpi tops with and ingame sens of 2,5 max.
Honestly if you get used to those settings your aim will improve wildly.

Try horrible rng bullet paths my dude. Game is shit. Any other cs is miles better.

not yet. will deal with friendship and betrayal, the slippery slope of morals (or lack thereof), corruption from power... and other stuff

Is it a roguelike/ roguelite?

So, how is it working at Blizzard?

I've got no talent, but im still trying to improve myself a lil bit.

Our teacher works as a 3D designer in a videogame company.
He's teaching us how to model 3d characters and texturing them.
Some tools we use are the following:
- 3ds Max
- Mudbox
- Marmoset Toolbag 3
- Photoshop and Quixel SUITE 2.0 (some good shit right there)
- xNormal

This list is also useful for ppl who wants to work in 3D. Those tools are godlike

I'm going to keep to a regiment of DM / aim map practice, but lately it hasn't been helping lol. Maybe I just need to do it even more to break through.

I'm not going to lie, I don't think anyone does everything themselves because it's enjoyable. to me it's a matter of being financially strained. Although there is an upside with greater control over the project.

I play at 800dpi with 1 in game sense. I used to play at higher sense but I've used this sense for over a year now.

I get what you mean but sometimes all I can do is watch in horror as I whiff the easiest shots and my spray goes off the rails. And if I can't hit my juan taps it's a lost cause.

it's worth mentioning I only use the automatic rifles. I'm god awful with the awp, and sometimes I feel like the balance of awpers can be the difference between winning the game and losing. i need to practice with it more

no, but it will feature the technology the original rogue was made for. including accurate MDA, CGA, and EGA graphics / text modes, which are already implemented. perhaps I will add a roguelike game within the game.

i dont work for a studio. of the people i know who work for studios, it's soul crushing work.

I'm poor so I use GIMP and Blender lol. I'm not trying to become a proficient modeler. I just need to be good enough to produce the assets for this game and that's it.

Nah mane you have it the other way around lol.
You need more ingame sens and less dpi.
That way you are creating more unwanted movements in the mouse.
You want to play smooth.
I play at 450 dpi and 2,3 ingame sens if it helps.

In-game sensitivity is a multiplier of your mouse movement which in Windows is based on the DPI of your mouse and the Windows mouse acceleration variable. 400 dpi and 2 sense is similar to 800 and 1 sense, except you have greater resolution with the latter. Using lower DPI and higher sensitivity can cause pixel skipping and the like.

If you wanted sub pixel precision you could do something like 1600dpi and 0.5 sense but that's just absurd.

are you willing to collaborate with new indie game dev?

nice

Wooosh.

not at the moment. this project is the sole focal point of my life and i won't allow anything to risk it. that means not switching to / being responsible for other projects. i also want to maintain complete control over both the game's development, and the income it will bring in, because I have bigger plans for the future. after explaining what I'm doing several people have offered to invest and i declined because i want as few hooks in the income stream as possible. Valve takes 30% upfront and the government takes about 40% after the leftover 70% leaving 42% cleared income from the original revenue stream.

I'm trying to find some older screens with ANSI graphics because those are more exciting.

what did i miss?

Look im not gonna question some dev knowing more about games than me but I can tell you for sure that's the winner combination in cs.
You will just make that many less involuntary mouse moverements which will favor you a lot.

I'll try it out for shits and giggles

I found some older screenshots

I made an editor so I can make my own ANSI art.

quick digital rain program i made

Program some of that sweet hentai user.

seconding this

moved the camera back so you can see the pc and monitor better.

the camera moves around at points but mainly during the game it's static

i gotta make some kind of incentive to gaining access to top secret files huh?

here is a script you can re-use.

a worker of middle size company wants to collaborate on a project. The computer you have is to test the capability of "choosen name" . the test. the player will will find code He was not suppose to see and will use it to gain money form the middle size society. the faulty script.

Back in the day graphics on BBSes were done in text mode with 16 colors. You had a limited number of characters to choose from (256 from 'codepage 437'), with one foreground color and one background color for each character. Combining them in creative ways allows for something that resembles pixel art.

You know how to triforce? (probably not you fucking newfags). Using alt + xxx on Windows is a way to access those 256 characters. So alt 30 gives you the arrow up character, and alt 255 gives you a space character.

the story i'm working on is rooted in BBS hacker culture and takes its inspiration from the OG hackers. Hackers, crackers, pirates, phone phreaks, dumpster divers, etc. Think Legion of Doom, Masters of Deception, and Cult of the Dead Cow

you start the game with a blazing fast 300 baud modem.

Some of the modern ANSI art is pretty dope. I intend on doing most of the in game art myself however I also want to commission some work from others.

it looks harder than it seems to create coherent art. you're typically limited to 80 characters in a column and traditionally 25 rows. The images that have greater than 25 rows are called scrollers. Back then modems were so slow that you would watch them draw in real time in your window, and as new lines were started old ones were purged.

a lot of art (80s and 90s) was inspired by comics and graffiti

>OG hackers
maybe I will learn some.

modern artists use tools. some of the original artists programmed directly with ANSI escape sequences, which would be a total fuckin nightmare

nice trips

dumping a few more of these and then I'm off to sleep