Tfw you didn't grow up in the 80s...

>Tfw you didn't grow up in the 80s , going to has-been rock stars concerts with your rock loving parents and seeing pop icons like Michael Jackson, Prince and David Bowie in their prime.

Was the 80s the greatest time for music lovers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i85Ojl3Mq2o
nuxn.com/genre/80s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

I prefer the 70s

Why is this board filled with wrong generation fags? You know people are gonna talk about this generation like you're talking about the 80s in the future?

I'm pretty okay with this time as a music lover, it is pretty easy to filter what you listen to (but yeah, it's too bad I can't see some of the great bands in their prime live)

Yes, post punk is the height of pop music

>Bowie in the 80s
>prime
Pick one.

So many hidden gems from the 80s

youtube.com/watch?v=i85Ojl3Mq2o

I prefer 1933-1945

Ah yes, I remember that Future Islands SNL performance like it was yesterday!

>80s
>David Bowie in his prime

>implying the lewronggenerations don't have a point

Maybe it's time to admit you either gave bad taste in music or youre in denial about the abysmal state of modern "music". I'm not saying its all horrible music, but youve got to be deaf if you think there hasn't been a decade long slump in quality across most genres

this

I understand there is some really good music that I would never hear in the 1980s but the fact that actually good music was popular is the point

Listening to good new music in 2017 is contrarian

>tfw I was 8yo when Live Aid was kicking about and remember it being on the radio everywhere

And then Bob Geldoff turned into a cunt

No, now is the best time for music lovers. It's so much easier for underground artists to get a venue, you can find and buy tickets for a show in like 30 seconds, the sound is 30,000x better live.

In terms of recorded music, it's just obvious. You can look up and listen to almost any album in the world in seconds when you're anywhere, and music has never been so diverse.

Fuck all this special snowflake wrong generation whining. Music lovers would literally kill to the access and quality we have today.

>listening to good new music in 2017 is contrarian

What is that statement

I think one of most noticiable differences between the 80's and now is the chart music and artists were pretty fucking diverse, soul, rap, rock, pop, synthpop, new wave, house, ska, new-romantic etc etc were all in the charts back then

It pretty mad how diverse/broad the music was in the 80's

You have to dig somewhat/a lot to find good music and even then there won't be gigs of them like OP picture

Ironically, this easy access to free music may have doomed the music industry and driven the industry to invest more in high turn over low risk shitty pop acts, whilst doing away with their extensive talent development programs since that takes money, and most music labels are cash strapped and know there's a good chance they wont be getting a good ROI since hardly anyone buys albums anymore

In World War Two the average age of the combat soldier was 26, in Vietnam it was nineteeen, n-n-n-n-n-n-nineteen

tl;dr 19

I mean all of the good music made today is found online and not on the radio stations therefore making it contrarian as it goes against traditional means of how most people throughout the times have found their music (through the radio, what rolling stone magazine tells you is good, etc)

It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under

Boooop

I couldn't have put it better myself. You hit the nail right on the head senpai

Having diversity does not necessitate quality, don't get me wrong, there may be hundreds if not thousands of start-up bands in the 2010's that may truly be both unique and interesting to listen to though how many have we really seen this decade? Even the artists that have released some of the decades most critically acclaimed albums (Beach House, Deerhunter, Sufjan Stevens etc.) were already established in the previous decade with few new acts entering the music scene recently that have gained both commercial success and critical acclaim. Hip-hop is arguably the only sector of the music industry that's been able to constantly revitalize itself and experiment with new sounds/ techniques and even that comes down more to the talent of numerous producers than the artists themselves. When people look back on the 2010's what pivotal albums will they still be coming back to on a large scale, MBDTF? Anything else really? (And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Kanye).

I'm not saying that there aren't any decent artists in the current decade though most if not all have been either artists established beforehand or more unfortunately the ridiculous extent of comebacks from bands who are more than happy to water down their sound for the sake of a new release. Not to mention the fact that concerts are littered with disrespectful viewers using their smart-phones for no other reason but to prove that they were "there" when there's nothing really to be "there" for. Do you think many music lovers would frolic to see the Pop Group, Depeche Mode, Blondie etc. nosedive even further in quality than they have done in the past? Do you think that the only exciting music news being of a musician's death will invigorate the modern music fan?

In the commercial pop industry, yeah, and they've been doing that since the fucking 50's with girl singing groups. Also while physical album sales are down, overall merch is high with having the ability to sell online and book more venues than back in the day.
Contrarian implies you do it purely to go against the grain. Finding good new music means you just want to listen to good fucking music. I'm not really sure what your point is

My point is during the 1980s you could turn on the radio and the content wouldn't be as simplified as it is today
You would hear artist like ministry and prince which I like
These days if I forget my aux chord and dont have a CD in the car I just roll the window down and drive without music

The 80s

nuxn.com/genre/80s

This is simply wrong

Music is fucking garbage now, don't use this 2006 soundbite again you utter retard

>muh music on the net is easy to find bro there is better music bro

No, there fucking isn't. It's all shit because society is worse than it's ever been. Full of narcissistic retards like you

except there are no bands to look up to anymore. in the future they are still going to talk about the greats of the 80s

You just need to accept the changes that society is going through bruh, just relax and have a latte.

>has-been rock stars
>in their prime
The 80's is when music went to die

Let's face it, hipsters ruined indie by turning it into something for fashionable bored rich kids with nothing to say; blame the economy

Just the recording quality difference between first-gen 70's analog tape recordings and modern digital proves that they are, in fact, deaf

Nope 90-94 alone is greater than that entire decade

>going to venues that have a >200 occupancy limit

you're a fucking pleb

This.
In literally all types of genres.

There's a lot of great music now yeah, but they aren't selling out huge stadiums and shit and are popular on the radio. Good music today isn't culturally relevant to the masses like mumble rap and stale pop is.