youtube.com/watch?v=FSmMoVf1j_8
youtube.com/watch?v=-lUr-iviLPw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm glad this nigger choked on cough syrup

I HATE THE WHOLE FUCKIN WORLD SO THE WORLD BETTER HATE ME
NIGGA I HATE YOU
FUCK YOU NIGGA

literally nah

SCREW didn't 'invent' vaporwave, but his work definitely influenced it insofar as slowing songs down produced a fairly uniqyue sound.

A WRECKLESS CLAN ME SAY WRECKLESS CLAN SOUTH PARK COALITION IS A WRECKLESS CLAN A WRECKLESS CLAN ME SAY WRECKLESS CLAN SOUTH PARK COALITION IS A WRECKLESS CLAN

clyp.it/te5l1jtm

>this somehow isn't vaporwave

inb4 le capitalism critique and pink graphics make it unique!

-ys.

(Love Screw though and I do consider him more potentially influential on the genre than Oswald, though Oswald is certainly the root)

>JUST LISTEN
isn't a very strong argument

This does kinda sound like vaporwave

youtube.com/watch?v=8jfFt4rQa4Y

James Kirby (aka V/Vm aka The Caretaker) also anticipated vaporwave

But the aesthetic of vaporwave is the only real thing that distinguishes it
Otherwise it'd just be a nondescript subsection of chopped 'n' screwed music

>inb4 le capitalism critique and pink graphics make it unique!
>But the aesthetic of vaporwave is the only real thing that distinguishes it

You both are so fucking clueless

is there a more powerful argument than crystal clear evidence supporting my point?

vaporwave IS plunderphonics/chopped n screwed music; formally, it's the exact same thing
the only difference is the ethos behind it (the internet)

then clue us in, big guy

vaporwave did literally nothing new music-wise

Just listen to the first albums in the genre (eccojams and far side virtual) and try to say that DJ screw is vaporwave. ITS NOT.
Ive seen OPs argument on youtube before and its so fucking hilariously cringeworthy. Chopped and Screwed music is not vaporwave. It needs to have plunderphonics, satirical takes on consumer capitalism and popular culture and A E S T H E T I C S to be vaporwave.

sounds like a bunch of shit white ppl to beat around the bush that they stole from chopped n screwed.

>It needs to have plunderphonics
are you implying chopped n screwed isn't plunderphonics?

>satirical takes on consumer capitalism and popular culture
refer to it's very telling that Daniel Lopatin himself was balls deep into Screw, John Oswald, V/Vm and others during the early 00s; it's also very telling that him himself called his eccojams "a joke"

Screw is to vaporwave what Metal Machine Music is to nosie

expanding on my previous post: I actually consider Far Side Virtual a groundbreaking record, but the template for most vaporwave to come was (by far) the collage style of eccojams and macintosh plus

you are so FUCKIN STUPID if you think chopped and screwed hip hop has ANYTHING to do with plunderphonics. Seriously. Im not even gonna try to argue with such a willfully ignorant individual.

noise music dates back to the early 20th century, with Russolo and the futurists
another instance of clueless rockists completely disregarding the history of the artform

>Im not even gonna try to argue
Of course you aren't; you have no point

>origins of the vaporwave sound was a black guy
>first person to make technical vaporwave was a trans woman
Sup Forums white boys btfo

you completely misunderstood that analogy

>screw was the first to slow down songs and call them original works
le "niggers invented everything" meme is getting stale

>the first to slow down songs and call them original works
it's funny you say that, because Screw's work is way more virtuosistic and difficult to achieve than the absolute majority of vaporwave, represented by literal samples slowed down on Audacity

youtube.com/watch?v=FSmMoVf1j_8

DJ Screw also invented witch house

dj screw and vaporwave have nothing in common

letting his hands do the talking

t. retard

Why do all the good DJ's die? not even memeing

Listen to some of dj screws albums and tell me they have anything in common with vaporwave. Dj screw slowed down the music so you could hear what they were saying, more than to make it sound cool. He had a different perspective when it came to music than you think he probably has. His was more about glorifying local artists, selling cassettes out of his house until people were lining up outside (and getting investigated because the cops thought they were selling drugs). He was a big part of the houston rap scene, he is legendary in Texas. They started their own record company called swishahouse and T.I., Chamillionaire, and Paul Wall all got their start through him and that scene.

Also lil boosie definitely more than anyone than I listed on there (I should of put him first).

Ferraro and OPN invented the genre but it probably wouldn't exist without DJ screw especially seeing how much he influenced OPN

aesthetics isn't a musical thing

aesthetics is the image you apply/project on to music. it's not an actual trait of the music itself, the sound.

OP is right, DJ Screw is basically the inventor of vaporwave, what we call vaporwave now is just appropriated chopped and screwed.

bingo

DJ Screw has a massive dicog. Just because you're only familiar with his hiphop work doesn't mean you're an authority on his work because it's very self evident that sonically whatever vaporware entails is already found in DJ Screw's work prior to the creation of vapoware.

We're not talking about cover art, the philosophy, or the videography of vaporware, we're talking about the music. It has already been done. Yes it's its own genre now with all the caveats that it entails, but DJ Screw is the undeniable pioneer of that sound.

this is vaporwave lol

can't screw with da Screw

>you are so FUCKIN STUPID if you think chopped and screwed hip hop has ANYTHING to do with plunderphonics.
>Plunderphonics is any music made by taking one or more existing audio recordings and altering them in some way to make a new composition.

Probably don't even know what plunderphonics is. You probably just looked up the vaporware, found a description of the genre, and then claim C&S isn't an influence and have to resort to ad hominem to save face because clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

screw inspired eccojams, ecoojams inspired vaporwave, vaporwave has inspired a lot of things, some good and some truly fucking awful.

OP is not COMPLETELY wrong but they way he put it was pretty stupid.

negativland

-plunderphonics
-main aesthetic based on american culture of the past
-often a critique of capitalism and consumerism

vaporwave is disgusting
only forward thinking artists like pic related produced anything worthwhile within that "genre"

Yeah he was blunt about in a way to make people defensive, but he's still not wrong.

It was bait to get people defensive and project racial insecurities but at the end of the day he's right. DJ Screw is the pioneer of the vaporware sound. Chopped and Screw pre-dates vaporare/witchhouse and is a signifigant influence sonically.

When it comes to vaporware the comeplete package is vastly different, but the MUSIC is not that different or new.

youtube.com/watch?v=-lUr-iviLPw

>mad white boys say this isn't vaporwave

DJ Screw is the originator. If it wasn't for him music nowadays would sound completely different. Better show some respect, boy.

Vaporwave is not equivalent to chopped and screwed it is rather some combination of aesthetics, situationist-esque critique, chopped and screwed as well as hauntological aspects.

I agree with you, vaporwave does take from DJ screw. It's a part of him that's left behind and evolved over the years. I think it's awesome that his style is coming back through vaporwave. I remember when I first heard lil wayne reference pimp c somehow, then found dj screw songs on limewire back in 2010. All I meant by they have nothing in common is what they both try to represent.

oh wow, i learned something knew, and you dont have to say n***** when you feel surprised, mad, insecure, just say thank you screw

>it is rather some combination of aesthetics, situationist-esque critique, chopped and screwed as well as hauntological aspects.

>aesthetics isn't a musical thing

the music itself is the aesthetic, which also implies it's actual trait. if the music itself could not be considered aesthetical, then there would be no difference distinguishing metal from country, because by definition they should be the same
>guitar
>drums
>singer

the only thing that separates them is the aesthetics of the certain musical style.

i think he was talking about A E S T H E T I C S, not aesthetics

nigga fuck you

holy shit you're retarded

why tho?

>Satirical takes on consumer capitalism

haha bro I just sampled an old mcdonalds commercial and slowed it down xP Down with capitalism bro XD so trippy it really gives you a dystopian vibe when I slow it down :3

I think the one thing that distinguishes vaporwave as a distinct thing is the combination of the music and the cover art/videos/concepts. I'm not one of these fuckdicks who think vaporwave needs to critique capitalism because that's fucking stupid; there's plenty of vaporwave that doesn't do that. Lots of screwed & chopped and plunder shit could be vaporwave if it were presented as such. But yeah basically what I'm saying is that vaporwave isn't just a genre of music. It's a multimedia experience.

Daniel Lopatin never said Eccojams was a joke, he said it was something he did for fun in his spare tine. I'm tired of people spreading this lie

I've been saying this, vaporwave is chopped and screwed for white hipsters and now teenagers who don't know better

There's 3 to 4 subsets of the vaporwave sound, and surprise! They're all just hack shit rip offs of older sounds, besides one, that is bandwagoning bullshit.

>Eccojams slowed down chopped and screwed type

Direct rip of DJ Screw, white people of course have came in droves for this "new genre"

>FSV type 90s media tier music

Pretty basic stuff, could find similar music in video game soundtracks and media like commercials, as well as employee training videos and discs and shit

>Vaportrap

The only original sound in vaporwave. That's why I liked Blank banshee and at least gave him credit, but now it's become a meme to put trap drums on any genre so that's been run into the ground

>Ambient vaporwave

Just ambient with "Cool" japanese text basically. No different from other ambient music and certainly not breaking any ground.

Pro tip: Listen to Software for guys who were doing that electronic sound decades before this, listen to Sade or Kimiko Kasai if you want some jazzy/funky 80s stuff, listen to DJ Screw if you want chopped and screwed that's actually entertaining and soulful. Etc etc etc

>FSV
>pretty basic stuff
nah. far side virtual is only deceptively simple; the sum of its parts is arranged perfectly, the retro-futurist, optimistic nature of the media it paraphrases is down to a t. it captured all the promises and anxieties of the time like nobody else did. no other vaporwave records came even close to it, in my opinion; it's the most coherent statement in the genre, and the fact that it precedes it completely only makes it more impressive

Look at all this pretentious bullshit

not an argument