Tinnitus

Does anyone from you have tinnitus (ringing/hissing/buzzing sound in ears)?

I have been noticing it a lot over the last month or two and I really don't know why is that. I've only been to a few concerts (one of them recently) and raves in my life. Also, I mostly listen to music with earbuds, but on really low volumes, like 6/100 (as my computer shows) or something like that, you can't hear it when you're 10 cm away.

For those of you who have/had it - did it go away? Did it only worsen during time? Any remedies you know of?

I'm really scared this shit will stay permanently hear. I rarely hear it outside as mostly everything can mask it, but when I come home to a quiet house, it's really annoying. It's not ringing in my case, but more like some grainy buzzing. I have become scared that it will only worsen so I stopped listening to music with my earbuds and listen to a lot less music overall. :/

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/curious-ear-issue-one-ear-hears-the-wrong-pitch.237008/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Might be interesting for some of you

it never goes away

I think that most musicians have it.

Yeah, had this since childhood. My case is not that bad since it is only static noise or crickets depending on the day. I'm able to hear it only when I'm going to sleep but nothing to worry.
Avoid spicy foods and stress. Spicy food makes my tinnitus change to beating drums at night and mild stress make it sound like a marching band and takes a few hours to cool down.

>Also, I mostly listen to music with earbuds, but on really low volumes, like 6/100 (as my computer shows) or something like that, you can't hear it when you're 10 cm away.
I used to do exactly the same (low volume and all, but listened to music a lot), and I also got tinnitus afterwards (high pitched buzzing sound, it was quite low but I still could hear it at night in silence or in silence in general.
I stopped using earphones and earbuds at all and bought a decent hi-fi setup instead
Tinnitus stopped a week later.
I went to see an ORL and he explained to me that even at low volume, earbuds and earphones are near enough of your eardrums to do a significant impact over time

I suggest you do the same, or at least stop using earphones and earbuds for a week and see if it is any better

Depends.

I got it back in 2009 after a metal show where they didnt have any earplugs and I didnt bring any.
It was pretty fucking bad the first 2 - 4 months, I could sit on a train and hear it. My estimates is that I got it in the 17-18 khz region, which is really high pitched.

Time passed by and I got older and those very upper frequency died off due to age and wear
I still have some around 15-16 khz, but those werent as bad as the 17-18khz ones and I hardly notice at all, even when going to bed.
They say after a couple of years, your brain sort of phases those sounds out or make them lower in percieved volume.

These days, I really have to stop and listen to check if I still have tinnitus.

Guess I was sort of lucky.

Just wear plugs and limit your use of earbuds, they are the worst for your ears. Earbuds is the worst, closed headphones second, open headphones third and speakers last.
If you feel your hearing has taken a beating, take a week off from any active music listening to let your ears have a rest.

I have it. When I first got it which was around Christmas of 2016. It was fucking awful. It was load in both ears. I wanted to kill myself. Time went by and I still have it but it's low. My left ear is louder than the right, but it's still a lot lower than it used to be. Now it can easily be mask by a fan on low setting. Since yours isn't too loud just stay away from earbuds or headphones for now. Give your ears some rest. Listen to your music through speakers and go to the doctors, you faggot. It may or not be permanent, but in worst case scenario if it is then you'll have to learn to live with it until a cure. One last thing, wear earplugs when you go to a concert, I can't tell you how many times I've seen retards go to a metal concert with no plugs and then bitch that they ringing in their ears. You'll might look like gay with them, but fuck what people think. If you want to keep on listening to music then you better wear them.

I got tinnitus around april 2016, from a ridiculously loud concert, but I feel like the tinnitus was a mixture of actual damage and me worrying about it. Over time I just kind of accepted it and the noise has got better with time.

Also, almost all of the population have some sort of tinnitus, in that they're able to hear something when in a soundproof room (some dudes did a test on it idk) so there's a chance that what you're hearing is normal and is just being worsened by the worry.

Either way, I'd say book a hearing test if you can, I did for mine and when the resukts came back fine it really put my mind at ease.

Thank you everyone for advice and giving me optimism. No more earbuds for me. Cheers!

I have had it since childhood and have learned to live with it

As a touring musician yea i can confirm most other musicians have it. It comes and goes for me but as a drummer I can't wear ear plugs or they distort the sound and i can't hear much so i end up playing louder and detuning the drums and drowning out the vocals. Only other musician I know of with this same problem is Kip Berman of The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Him and I don't wear ear plugs during shows so our tinnitus is particular bad. My ears straight up give out and go deaf for a few seconds at times. Just a sacrifice we make for music.

>bilinda butcher
Gee I wonder why

Apparently there's only 2 musicians on that list, and sting is one of them.

I'd say wikipedia is pretty patrician.

>kevin shields

That's nothing dude, my left ear hears music in a lower pitch to the right so when I'm playing or listening to anything it sounds out of tune in one ear.

Anyone else have this???????????

I've had tinnitus for 2 years since I was kicked in the ear while kickboxing. Learning to meditate has helped substantially and usually I don't even hear the ringing anymore because I'm able to focus on other things. I highly recommend trying meditation if tinnitus is bothering you.

>trent reznor
>kevin shields
>bilinda butcher
not surprising at all.

also >Thom Yorke
that explains why his music sounds so good in my ears (I have this shit)

sucks to hear man, i couldn't bare having to listen to music so quiet
How would people around you be able to hear your superior taste as you shove it down their throats?

I've had it for years. Not terrible but it's there. I always wear ear plugs to concerts. Can't handle the nice otherwise.

I just think of it like background noise, like crickets or something. It doesn't bother me, but I get sad sometimes thinking about how I haven't heard true silence in a long time.

I was afraid of tinnitus myself, so far if I have , it is a very mild case of it, I believe I have a perfect hearing though.

I always assumed I play my music remotely loudly, but I'd never touch stuff like headphones or earbuds, I sometimes do touch headphones when I wanna get really immersed 1001% into music.

All my fears of listening to music too loudly vanished away when I was at my school's prom, and holy fuck, they had it so fucking loud, I could not imagine going to a concert, really? This is fucking crazy, my ears were bleeding and everyone else seemed to be used to it.
>Trent Reznor
Oh no

I have tinnitus, honestly the ringing is like the second loudest thing in the room right now. It'll never fully go away, I've been going to concerts since I was 14 so the damage is pretty much done. I'm used to it and have selective hearing so I can generally tune it out, but it helps to have background noise like a fan or something. Also wear ear plugs at shows, they're dorky but it'll keep it from getting worse, and getting over the ear headphones would be a smart move too.

This thread might help

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/curious-ear-issue-one-ear-hears-the-wrong-pitch.237008/

I thought of Sterling Archer as soon as I saw this thread.

Fuck that. Stop playing music, it's not worth it.

>Liam Gallagher
Didn't surprise me.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me, especially with the likes of Trent Reznor, I wonder how much damage is caused to the years alone producing certain tracks like Mr.Self Destruct or some shit like that.

>Michael Gira

No way! How come?

Had it since I was a kid but I didn't know what it was, just whenever it was just me in the car and it was ultra quiet I was hearing ringing. Then joining drumline/ listening to loud music made it worse. I just put a fan on when I'm sleeping and it doesn't bother me

>Beethoven
>Darwin
>van Gogh
>de Goya
>Michelangelo

So all these people wrote about having tinnitus in their books/writings? Must have been pretty harsh form of it then

People recommending ear plugs for concerts:
Which ones do you recommend? Last time I wore cheap foam ones from pharmacy and sound was pretty shitty and distorted/muffled - it was the first time that I didn't hear ringing after a concert for which I was very happy about, but I vas very sad because I couldn't enjoy the show that much.

So which professional ear plugs do you recommend?

>I went to see an ORL and he explained to me that even at low volume, earbuds and earphones are near enough of your eardrums to do a significant impact over time

I didn't know this... Thanks I guess.

Leave her alone.

Looked up an example of 130dB and holy shit.

"Military jet aircraft take-off from aircraft carrier with afterburner at 50 ft (130 dB)."

Totally worth it

Why?

You're bipolar

>louis ferdinand céline

Yeah, and i know shit tons of people who do. First year of having tinnutus you are panicing and obsessing over the sound but then you just stop giving a shit

Why not a little of both? I have fairly loud and obnoxious tinnitus in both ears, ~14khz in left and ~18khz in right. It's not the sort of thing you ever get used to.

If it doesn't go away within a couple days, it likely will not go away. I've had it my whole life because of some slight genetic hearing loss.

one ray of hope for the future is the cgf166 gene therapy that is undergoing human trials right now. What they do is they take this gene that tells fetuses to grow hair cells, and inject it via a benign virus into the cochlea and cause the cochlea to regrow damaged hair cells.

Cheap foam ones are fine if you cut them in half

I used to have tinnitus. I am hearing impaired so all sorts of fucked up shit happens with my ears. Though its been like 10+ years since I have heard ringing.