Classical Guitar

Just learned that I really enjoy the sound of classical guitar, but it feels like there are so many styles. Where do I start? What are some of your favorites?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fFLPdxdvEXk
youtube.com/watch?v=7udClrQtmws
youtube.com/watch?v=pGipFrts650
youtube.com/watch?v=eseUe93oAUg
youtube.com/watch?v=uSO-uZKrZus
youtube.com/watch?v=vTi8VcKpWcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YFenfpuI8-8
youtube.com/watch?v=5MHNmLPTub8
youtube.com/watch?v=BjmWCqAZRpM
youtube.com/watch?v=26HLgXWF-Co
youtube.com/watch?v=310r2AOr0Lw
youtube.com/watch?v=98y0Q7nLGWk
youtube.com/watch?v=fOhfSpaedzU
youtube.com/watch?v=utwHSylN47I
youtube.com/watch?v=06GVrYP6NKs
youtube.com/watch?v=PXkDWaTr18Q
youtube.com/watch?v=bEO0OzAw_44
youtube.com/watch?v=v36l7eVXvZc
youtube.com/watch?v=Jot7Q9n7L9U
youtube.com/watch?v=WI55KAtSdSc
youtube.com/watch?v=1-rc_9wvrhw
youtube.com/watch?v=xDzekDP4IKI
youtube.com/watch?v=X4Lmpim5lG4
youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg
youtube.com/watch?v=SHNOUPmkFlI
youtube.com/watch?v=RGwvXCYgiuU
youtube.com/watch?v=bN9P3YyX-Co
youtube.com/watch?v=RXma1J9uoAY
youtube.com/watch?v=L2QHaYnmsCw
youtube.com/watch?v=RI4uZ9J402U
youtube.com/watch?v=7U8TjDsnVcE
youtube.com/watch?v=frq70agiADY
youtube.com/watch?v=JlmmaqWrUUU
youtube.com/watch?v=xpqbbmJ42yU
youtube.com/watch?v=EPIRpI0GtDc
youtube.com/watch?v=0_smqaAwleQ
youtube.com/watch?v=s08GD_o1a60&list=PL7A74AD07BBFBF244
youtube.com/watch?v=Jb33Bsyt7N4
youtube.com/watch?v=z6B75wkof5k
youtube.com/watch?v=x4QrJc3VQDo
youtube.com/watch?v=Un9sXWWuChU
youtube.com/watch?v=EJaXP49YQ5s
youtube.com/watch?v=f7vLOjzG4no
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's a big difference that confuses people alot. It's the fact that classical guitar is way different to flamenco guitar. Even though they look the same.

I would start with Rodrigo y Gabriela. They're a couple who started out buskin' on the streets. They're known for covering Metallica (Orion) and Stairway To Heaven.

Also the guy used to be a metal player so he's got some technique going there.

Songs to check:
- Tamacun
- Ottoman live with master of puppets intro
- etc ...

Pic related, acoustic masterrace

Just listen to the classic pieces by Tarrega, Sor, Barrios and famous transcriptions of Bach and Albeniz played by the greats: Bream, Segovia, Williams etc. From there you'll soon discover your preferred composers and interpreters and you can then delve more deeply that way.

Do you play by the way? I don't think I've ever spoke to someone who has a particular love for the classical guitar and its music other than those who play the instrument, which is a shame really. I find guitar pieces so much more emotive than other classical works, probably because the instrument lends itself to simplicity, and thus pieces are driven by melody above all else.

Williams and Segovia, Braem are some great examples. All shit aside, what do you make of my assumption that people confuse classical guitar with flamenco, latin style music?

Dowland

Dad grew up with a beat-up classical guitar, but never learned much. When I started taking to music he told me I should take it, so for a while I've been trying to do my own thing with it. Newer Bossa Nova stuff really hit me, but only recently have I started tracing back. Thanks for the suggestions, these are great

J-C. Debussy - Clair de Lune youtube.com/watch?v=fFLPdxdvEXk
J-C. Debussy - Arabesque no. 1 youtube.com/watch?v=7udClrQtmws
J. S. Bach - Cello Suite no. 1 youtube.com/watch?v=pGipFrts650
A. Pärt - Für Alina youtube.com/watch?v=eseUe93oAUg
E. Satie - Gymnopedie no. 1 youtube.com/watch?v=uSO-uZKrZus
E. Satie - Gnossienne no. 1 youtube.com/watch?v=vTi8VcKpWcQ
L. van Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (1st mov.) youtube.com/watch?v=YFenfpuI8-8
L. van Beethoven - Sonata Pathetique (2nd mov.) youtube.com/watch?v=5MHNmLPTub8
F. Schubert - Ständchen youtube.com/watch?v=BjmWCqAZRpM
W. A. Mozart - Rondo alla Turca youtube.com/watch?v=26HLgXWF-Co
E. Granados - Spanish Dance no. 2 youtube.com/watch?v=310r2AOr0Lw
N. Paganini - Caprice 24 youtube.com/watch?v=98y0Q7nLGWk
F. Chopin - Op. 9, no. 2 youtube.com/watch?v=fOhfSpaedzU
F. Chopin - Op. Posth, No. 20 youtube.com/watch?v=utwHSylN47I

F. Tárrega - Capricho Árabe youtube.com/watch?v=06GVrYP6NKs
H. Villa-Lobos - Prelúdio no. 3 youtube.com/watch?v=PXkDWaTr18Q
S. Myers - Cavatina youtube.com/watch?v=bEO0OzAw_44
L. Brouwer - Un Dia de Noviembre youtube.com/watch?v=v36l7eVXvZc
F. Tárrega - Lágrima youtube.com/watch?v=Jot7Q9n7L9U
R. Dyens - Tango en Skai youtube.com/watch?v=WI55KAtSdSc
D. Reis - Se Ela Perguntar youtube.com/watch?v=1-rc_9wvrhw
J. Pernambuco - Sons de Carrilhões youtube.com/watch?v=xDzekDP4IKI
E. Nazareth - Odeon youtube.com/watch?v=X4Lmpim5lG4
I. Albeniz - Asturias - youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg
F. Tárrega - Recuerdos de la Alhambra youtube.com/watch?v=SHNOUPmkFlI
A. Barrios - La Catedral youtube.com/watch?v=RGwvXCYgiuU
R. Willis - Serenata del Mar youtube.com/watch?v=bN9P3YyX-Co
S. L. Weiss - Passacaglia youtube.com/watch?v=RXma1J9uoAY
F. Sor - B-minor Study youtube.com/watch?v=L2QHaYnmsCw

what about books? do you guys have any favorites to start building a repertoire of classical guitar?

Are you planning on hiring a teacher? There's a free alternative if you sign up for Classical Guitar Delcamp's forum, but it's usually a good idea to hire a teacher who can give you immediate feedback on technique.

In either case, you'll have access to skill-appropriate sheet music.

definitely not planning on hiring a teacher. couldn't even spend 15$ on a book at guitar center yesterday. I've been playing for ~5 years do you think I'd pick up bad habits learning by myself? I did have a teacher for a year when I started

>do you think I'd pick up bad habits learning by myself?
Most likely. Try the free lessons on that message board. IIRC, you'll receive feedback as well.

I learned classical for almost 10 years, haven't touched it for about half a year, I will try to get back to it. I started with the books that were meant for students, compilations of sheet music with raising difficulty, so you would get through a book in about a year. I also had one that ranged from really basic stuff to legit conciertos. Just look around in music shops or the internet, you are bound to find something. Also think about growing nails, it's probably the most efficient style of playing, but can be annoying in everyday life. Don't expect to play Danza Paraguaya after a month and be patient, you'll get it eventually.

Would you share why you stopped? 10 years is a big investment.

Well, I was a bit over dramatic, I stopped with classical guitar, but I play electric guitar everyday at least for an hour or two. I stopped with the classical for two reasons, firstly, I just enjoy jazz/fusion stuff more and secondly, nylon string guitar is rather incompatible with a lot of other instruments because it's simply too quiet and I really enjoy jamming and gigging with more people. Of course you can be a part of a classical guitar orchestra, but the repertoire is somewhat limited. It's a great instrument to play for yourself though and I've never regretted my investment.

Interesting. It's the main instrument where I live and it's played plugged in in group contexts. It's true that it's too quiet by itself, though I also find acoustic guitars quiet except for the percussive sound of picks against steel strings.

Cool, are you from Spain or South America? Just one thought for further conversation, in my opinion, there is an artificial wall between rock/metal and to some extent jazz guitar and acoustic guitar on the other side, it's a shame that these two sides aren't more connected. I understand that someone who listents to Pantera may not be interested in Tarrega and vice versa, but they could both benefit from each other, if not with music ideas, then at least in technique, but sadly I really don't see a way to change this.

Brazil. Yeah, I agree with you. I believe most people don't realize that different genres and, to a lesser extent, innovative music within a genre often need a change in mindset to be appreciated for what they are. If you, as a hard rocker, expect the catharsis from a screaming chorus when you approach jazz for the first time, which may very well be the case if that's the release you always seek in music, you'll be disappointed.

This kind of locked-in mindset is the reason behind a lot of genre bashing.

Post some more stuff pls

youtube.com/watch?v=RI4uZ9J402U
youtube.com/watch?v=7U8TjDsnVcE

youtube.com/watch?v=frq70agiADY
youtube.com/watch?v=JlmmaqWrUUU

youtube.com/watch?v=xpqbbmJ42yU
youtube.com/watch?v=EPIRpI0GtDc

I kinda wanted more classical stuff but this is good too thanks user

Oh, ok.

youtube.com/watch?v=0_smqaAwleQ
youtube.com/watch?v=s08GD_o1a60&list=PL7A74AD07BBFBF244

youtube.com/watch?v=Jb33Bsyt7N4
youtube.com/watch?v=z6B75wkof5k

youtube.com/watch?v=x4QrJc3VQDo
youtube.com/watch?v=Un9sXWWuChU

OP here, thank you very much! I can't imagine having that kind of dedication, it's cool to hear that you're jamming in different styles now.

youtube.com/watch?v=EJaXP49YQ5s
Lute, often played on the guitar, tho: youtube.com/watch?v=f7vLOjzG4no

>asks for classical guitar
>get reccomended flamenco-pop band that covers rock music