This is not as good as Kid A

This is not as good as Kid A.

it's better

yep, Kid A is better but this not make amnesiac a bad album, just Kid A is better than anything

It has to be one of their worst albums, yet it still has some of their best songs. It's just a little inconsistent.

That's a better description for HTTT.

I'd still put Amnesiac 5th place behind AMSP and ahead of The Bends desu

Hail to the Thief is the best album after Kid A though

Pulk/Pull is the only bad song on Amnesiac. It's objectively a top 3 Radiohead album

I like it better than Kid A

Pulk/Pull is one of the best songs on it though

I thought that OKC, Kid A and In Rainbows were the holy trilogy though. I can't understand anybody thinking that Amnesiac is better than any of those.

wtf that is one of the better songs
let me guess.... the bends is in your "objectively" top 3 too.

For a while I thought Amnesiac was better. I thik its mainly because Life In a Glass House and Pyramid Song are two of their best songs ever.

Looking back Kid A is more memorable and better rounded overall. So yes, OP, I agree.

it's better than Kid A

Kid A is a better overall album but Amnesiac has the strongest individual songs. But I also think Knives Out is their best song, period.

The actual song "The Bends" is good though.

Both were shit. Pablo Honey is the only good Radio Head album.

blah blah blah devolves into another radiohead rank the albums thread

>people actually think this
What happened to this board?

Objectively:

HTTT > Amnesiac > OKC > In Rainbows > AMSP > Kid A > The Bends > Pablo
lol fuck

>HTTT at the top
jesus

i bet you thought AMSP was actually good too

where's tkol buddy?

It's just like Kid A but more strained, nonsensical and raw, their most perfect combination of sounds after In Rainbows.

OH SHIT I FORGOT TKOL

It's between Kid A and The Bends
I thought AMSP was top three when it came out but now it's...fine? HTTT is their best no question though

HTTT > Kid A > AMSP > OKC > Amnesiac > IR > Bends > TKOL > PH

The first 4 tracks of the Bends are fucking incredible, peaking with fake plastic trees which is one of Radiohead's best songs. Other than that the entire record is a bit forgettable, but not bad. That's the only real complaint I have for The Bends desu. That's why it falls in the middle of quality of Radiohead's discography.

Really now. I always felt its strongest tracks were the bookending ones - Planet Telex is incredible and Street Spirit is one of my top 5. Aside from those, it's an above average rock album in my eyes. Just is pretty cool, I guess.

I feel that The Bends is always talked about the least of all the Radiohead albums. Not sure why that is. Maybe because it doesn't have too many standout tracks?

I definitely understand that, but whenever I think of The Bends I think of the first 4 tracks. I tend to lost some interest near the middle of the album, then regain some near the end.

Yeah I agree, Just is pretty cool but it's nothing to write home about, especially when we're talking about Radiohead.

Radiohead was one of those bands that evolved so quickly that their formative stuff tends to get overshadowed. Pablo Honey is remembered because of Creep and how subpar it's perceived to be otherwise while OK Computer is hailed as one of the great triumphs of the late 90s and cemented the band's place in history. The Bends was relatively, understandably, the stepping stone in the middle - a much better record than Pablo Honey but quickly outshone by what came after. It can't be helped.

From a glance, every time I see this cover I think it's Turn on the Bright Lights

I agree. It's not even close, in fact. Kid A is 8/10, this is 4/10. It's the most boring tripe that Radiohead ever put out, and their worst album.

>and their worst album

Them some hot opinions considering the record gave us Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out and Life In A Glass House. Yes, the band's artsier pretensions did get the better of them a little like on Pulk/Pull or Like Spinning Plates but the songs that did come through on Amnesiac really came through.

And you're not exactly wrong (although In Rainbows is vastly overrated). Amnesiac is boring as hell. People like to pick out "pleb filters" to glorify (i.e. picking the most boring music ever to exalt; such as the song Moonchild from ITCOTCK and Amnesiac from Radiohead's discography).

It doesn't help that Scaruffi rated Amnesiac a 7/10 along with OK Computer, essentially tying them in the minds of Scaruffi-drones. To Scaruffi drones, Amnesiac is exalted as the best because it sounds more inaccessible and is less popular than OK Computer (their OBVIOUS best album), thus the tie is broken.

The sad reality is that the asses-of-masses consensus that OK Computer, followed by Kid A, are their best albums is correct.

If anything is unfairly rated, it's the highly accessible Pablo Honey, which receives less than a 3 rating on RYM because Radiohead fans imagine Radiohead's later works to be hyper-experimental in comparison (which isn't as true as they think) even though it is a solid enough album.

The Bends > In Rainbows > OK Computer > TKOL > Kid A > Pablo Honey > Amnesiac > AMSP > HTTT

Pablo is underappreciated but aside from a couple other tracks like You and Blow Out it's honestly pretty mediocre. Listenable, but nothing exceptional.

>Listeanable, but nothing exceptional

Agreed, but undeserving of both it's terrible reputation and it's dismal 2.82 rating on RYM.

FPBP

Kid A isn't as creative, Amnesiac overshadows it.

Wow, this is pretty terrible...i'm really impressed.

it has to be the best radiohead of its time

really good too

maybe my fav

they just achieved a perfect album in in rainbows

especially considering ok computer was thought to be their perfect album before that

my favs:
amnesiac & in rainbows > kid a & ok computer > the bends

Literally me except I would put King of Limbs instead of The Bends.

The first track is better than the entirety of Kid A.

Amnesiac is basically Kid As B sides

Recently started listening. Is this album a grower?

OK Computer > In Rainbows > A Moon Shaped Pool > Kid A > The Bends > Amnesiac > Hail to the Thief > The King of the Limbs > Pablo Honey

>tfw most basic bitch ever

It was for me, didn't though it was good until one day I got the urge to listen to it and it became a favorite.

Then why didn't they call it kid b? :^]

Yes, intensely so. When I first started listening to Radiohead right after In Rainbows came out it got the least plays of their existing discography. Then over time a few songs caught my ears until now it's my favorite.

Says who? This is a meme started by Pierro Scaruffi to be honest.

No it isn't, it's literally just a bunch of drum loops with Thom Yorke talking about doors over it

The Bends is tied last with Pablo Honey

Yeah Revolving Doors is probably my least favorite radiohead song right now

Did it really have to be 4 mins?

I like how jarring the transition from Pyramid Song to pulk is but yeah it's too long. The low end of the CD version hurts my ears too.

OK Computer > HTTT > In Rainbows > Kid A > AMSP > TKOL> Amnesiac > The Bends

Here tongues the tindian?

>it's literally just a bunch of drum loops with Thom Yorke talking about doors over it

lmao!

shit...

it's great tho

Packt is not better than How To Disappear Completely. Other songs on Amnesiac might be but not Packt.

Yes, it's the only Radiohead album that I actually had to warm up to. Helped to let go of my preconceived notions about it, sit in a room with the lights out and just listen to the thing. Amnesiac and darkness go hand in hand together, like the ambience is just right for the album.

Worst to best

Pablo honey
The bends
HTTT
In Rainbows
A Moon Shaped Pool
King Of Limbs
Amnesiac
Kid A
Ok Computer

post-structuralist existentialism and self exploration through aural and mechanical poetry

non-duality in scatterbrained epiphany resolving itself with awareness through non-awareness and programmatic experimentation

I used to like Amnesiac, but it's probably the Radiohead album I revisit the least these days (excluding Pablo Honey). It's just not as immersive, atmospheric or moving as their other records. It has some good songs, sure, but it's clear that it's one of their weaker albums when listened to from start to finish.

Close enough for me but why did you do worst to best

yeah, i feel that.

you can really escape through ok computer, kid a, & in rainbows.

amnesiac has a certain nostalgic mysticism tho.

I don't listen to Amnesiac much myself but I only listen to it at night. The mood has to be right for me to put it on but when I'm feeling it I fucking feel it, man. It's not an album I can just put on any day like their other ones.

Amnesiac literally has the best and most unique atmosphere of any Radiohead album. Hard to accurately describe but I get some kind of ancient, prophetic vibes from it. Almost like the musical equivalent of a Borges story collection.

more of daytime album for me. i get lost in the loops and percussion as light refracts through the window, casting shadows in an otherwise empty house

It has the seeds of something great buried within it but it's executed poorly. Kind of reminds me of pic related, but not as good

I Might Be Wrong is way too underappreciated.

>Almost like the musical equivalent of a Borges story collection.

the creation of a universe for the artistic and philosophical exploration of space-time, infinity, and the role of the human element.

>high and dry
>incredible

agreed. the entire album really. really dig you and who's army? too..

My favorite atmosphere goes to Hail to the Thief, actually. Always thought that one had a chilly, autumnal vibe to it on top of probably being their most explicitly cynical record. Kid A and Amnesiac craft plenty unsettling moods and all but to me there's something especially fucked about HTTT, like it's less actively neurotic and paranoid and more exhausted to the point from being neurotic and paranoid of being unable to even give a shit anymore. I've always liked that sense of despondency about it.

>as light refracts through the window, casting shadows in an otherwise empty house

That also sounds Amnesiac as fuck.

Hail to the Theif is probably the most underappreciated Radiohead album. I think that most people got too hung up over some small flaws to appreciate how special it sounded.
People should at least give the alternate tracklist a chance, it fixes some of the inconsistency of the album.

I think the mood of the album is pretty consistent even if the music is basically a grab bag of the band's career up to that point. That said, even that's a double edged sword as it's consistently miserable as all hell. Makes me wonder why people would cut songs like Backdrifts or We Suck Young Blood when their sentiments fit right into the dreary atmosphere. If anything, Go To Sleep is probably the closest thing to an odd man out with its upbeat, jangly guitars.