Any of you Sup Forumsros ever pretend not to know things or act less smart than you really are...

Any of you Sup Forumsros ever pretend not to know things or act less smart than you really are ? For me sometimes it's because everyone around me is so stupid and I want to make them feel better by seeming equal to them. I usually end up regretting it because they end up thinking they're my equals. Seems weird when I put it into words but I guess it's something like the battle between my ego and my desire for friendship.

Sometimes my friends wanna tell me about a thing they're super excited for but i already know all about it. So I'll pretend i haven't heard of it so they can explain it. Nothing to do with ego i just wanna make em happy?

That is called being a normie user. Sadly, as autismo as it may sound, engage in this simply to gauge out a strangers personality in a situation. Many of times people feel more friendly and readily able to discuss things with me when I do this. Frankly, I find it disgusting how some people enjoy my psedo-personality over my real one. Fuck society.

>pretend

I wish. At least you have the choice to pretend to be stupid or smart. Like I'm literate, and I know some random/interesting facts about shit, but I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that I'm really fucking stupid. Let alone the fact my memory is awful, so I have a really hard time remembering shit, to the extent that I've already had a dementia test - I'm now 28, and that was like 4 years ago.

So yeah, boohoo for you having to pretend to be smarter than you are. You lucky fuck.

I do this all the fucking time. When I was in grade 2 I was doing better than everyone in my class, so they had me change schools and put me in a special program for "gifted" people. Fucked my life up. Before that it had always been hard talking to people. Was learning latin names of animals while the rest of them were learning how to say words like "cat"

Nowdays I have to pretend with everyone in my life. They will come up to me all excited to tell me about something that I'd already spent hours researching at some point. They will say incorrect things and I just sit there and pretend not to know anything so they can feel good. I don't even correct people anymore because people just hate you for it.

I often say dumb shit to my girlfriend, and then say "It's not too late to back out of this relationship". She laughs. She thinks I'm joking. I'm only half-joking, when in reality she, as a smart girl that's studying Mathematics at Masters level at a uni in London, could do so much better, and would probably be better off dating someone intellectually her equal.

Feels fucking bad man.

>So yeah, boohoo for you having to pretend to be smarter than you are. You lucky fuck.

Dude it's kind of a curse when you can't be honest or share anything you know with anyone in your life or they will think you're an arrogant douche

Better for some people to think you're arrogant and for the rest to know you're smart, or for you to be able to convince them that you're just smart and it's not ego, than for everyone to know you're stupid because you are.

My life in a nutshell.

Me: I have a headache

Rando: oh well you need to [insert debunked health advice here]

Me: ohhhhhh.okay..sure i'll give that a try

Me: Man, I've been really into watching these university lectures they have been posting on youtube about the bronze age collapse

Co-worker: Oh my god I love that stuff. Did you know they discovered castles that were built BEFORE JESUS?

Me: ohhhhhhhh, really? cool, i'll have to look that up...

Yeah. Shit gets real old. It's like talking to a bunch of moving chalk boards.

No, this is called being a different guy, not a normie.

This could or could not be a problem in the future as it depends on your girlfriends personality and preferences. Not all too many people enjoy having deep discussions with their lover about something they know as well as the back of their hand. Most typically enjoy whats convenient for them at that time.

It depends on the situation. I live around people that have been very heavily influenced by the "everyone's opinion matters" ideology, so you can't exactly argue facts with them even if you have proof. They just don't get it most of time and end up arguing how you could possible know either. It's really fucking hard arguing epistemology with a stupid person.

Also, since group think is a thing, once they get their rhetoric going good enough, anyone around them on a similar level just agrees with them and drowns out any argument you try to make.

So you say, but if that "different guy" is a personality of that which one would consider a normie then what? Its a normie.

ITT: Autistic fags that still think people don't like them because they are too "smart"/"intelligent"

True history.

rando: The teacher's a cunt, who knows what that Stalin did?

Me: I don't know, the exam wasn't easy (it was fucking easy).

This shit happens every time when I'm doing a fucking exam in the university and i always say the same because of engaging with people. If i were myself i would have no friends and I'd be a douche for everyone. I guess it happens because of asperger (yes i have asperger btw).

and now it begins

>herp derp ur not smrt ur all just autist neckbeard virginz bet u not as alfalfa as me cuck leltopkek

Only to avoid being seen as a human google for their problems. But otherwise no.
You don't need to lower yourself for others, they need to step up to your level. In other words, get new friends because your current friends can't keep up.
You could have interesting conversations about more advanced topics with people who are at your speed.
Balloon and rock analogy.
Why hang around Sup Forums forever if you could hold your own on /sci/.
>Discussing a controversial topic
>Speak an unpopular opinion
>Regardless of validity, normies get uncomfortable and begin silencing tactics (AKA "I don't want to be judged for an unpopular opinion")

I mean she does find it funny, and in a way we are polar opposites so our relationship does work. She does mathas at uni, I did English (well, Creative Writing, don't judge I know it's a fucking bad degree), she's smart, I'm not, her memory is amazing mine is bad etc. So yeah, from that point of view it does work. I just feel bad for her, she could do so much better.

Still, I'd rather be smart and be able to at least talk to others about intellectual topics and fine, have some think I'm arrogant but others think I'm learned or smart, than be a dumb (compared to others, especially girlfriend) person.

This this this this this

Nothing angers me more than when I know a great deal about a subject and some Chad ape-brain tries to correct me with some "fact" I know with absolute certainty is not true, but it sounds more plausible to him and his stupid friends and they act like you're the stupid one... this was a huge part of the reason I made this post too that I just didn't feel like including.

To the people saying they do it for the sake of friendship/connection/relationships it's completely understandable but you still have to try to get somewhere near their wavelength. Otherwise you'll never have the friendship or connection you're actually attempting to generate

>autism intensifies

Hmm... this need some extra to smugness on society.
Don't it make you feel dead?

That's fucked up, but that's what i want.

Just because you don't have this problem doesn't mean it's not something that people deal with. I guess that I shouldn't expect much from your retard logic.

Jesus the superiority complex on this OP

Are you me from the future? I'm 22 but already feel this feel. I wish I hadn't been told at a young age 'how smart I was' I feel like it gave me a big head and I got lazy and complacent, like I never even needed to try
>doesn't help that American school systems are mostly a joke

>"everyone's opinion matter"
>"epistemology"

Society functions without intelectual interests... which is more fucked up than "all our" complaints here.

Probably not. No one ever told me I was particularly smart. I always got average grades at school - at GCSEs (not sure the US equivalent) I got straight Bs with a couple of As, and two Bs and a C at A Level (college in UK). I'm sure some people will say that's good, but it's not, not really. Just average. I never stood out in any particular classes.

So yeah, probably not. But that still sucks, I get how that could make you not want to excel. Peer pressure and stuff really does play a big part in how you try at school - I mean, if you were far smarter than your friends, you'd probably hold back in order to not make them feel bad. So yeah, being smart must suck. But being naturally dumb sucks too.

I should also add that it's nearly impossible for me to maintain interpersonal relationships with people because on some level it's almost always feels like talking to children.

"So, you only have 10 dollars to last you until payday and you want to buy scartch offs instead of food? Are you sure? You do know those are a waste of money right?"

"HAHA YEAH BUT I GOTTA SPEND IT ON SOMETHING RIGHT?"

The more rational you are about things the more of a party pooper you are and no one wants anything to do with you. You almost have to be a malicious person not to be a dick about it because it's fucking torture to watch people you care about doing stupid shit all the time.

It does sound like there's something there but at the same time this is real for people who are sensitive or have trust issues. It's not to put the self on a higher plane it actually feels debilitating at times. Especially balancing things like being dumb on a subject or being unable to communicate because the other person is too grafted on to a particular method of communication from their environment.

>being this autistic

I do the same thing man. I do it to be polite and to be a good friend.

This.. my whole adult life has been this..

A: I gotta go ta that doctor and got some antibiotics for my stomach flu

B: What? Stomach flu isn't a thing, you probably just had low blood sugar or indigestion. Also, antibiotics don't work for the flu anyway and the doctor wouldn't be able to do anything for you.

A: UHHH well okay but I went last time and they gave me them antibiotics so i'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about

B: Yeah because last time you went you had something that required antibiotics. This time you ate a sandwich before going to bed and woke up sick and threw up

A: Yer just bein a dick now

B: I'm trying to save you like 200 dollars on a doctor visit for nothing

A: asshole

There is a reason people don't like you. If you don't understand why, now. You never will.

This guy is a perfect example of why we have to be quiet about shit. Can't even have a thread on Sup Forums without this fucker posturing.

What I meant was him saying that he regrets it because his friends think themselves his equals.

Exactly how autistic are you?

Do you have a point that you're making or are you just here to talk shit?

Case and point

Nigga you're on Sup Forums

that picture is so perfect for this
that whole movie is perfect for this

For being the geniuses you are, you all are fucking retarded.

NO U

I'm gonna integrate my dick with your mums curves
>checkmate atheists

Yeah, but alternatively he's also suggesting the disappointment of no recognition by his peers. Poor wording.

I feel you OP. I try to stay out of certain convos where I either have strong opinions (which could be wrong), or where I know what I'm talking about but it'd cause more shit than it's worth. I don't like getting into arguments just to prove my brain is big.

All.the.time. I almost always deny what I know. Otherwise, I'm always doing shit for losers that can't figure out how to do it themselves. user, can you see whats wrong with my computer? Sorreee. Don't know nuthin about it. Hey user, wanna help me remodel my house? AW, HELL NAW!!! user, can you fix my car? Nope, call cuzzin bubba down at ripoff repair shop. He gotcha covered. Bitches all too lazy and stupid to learn to do it themselves. .