youtube.com/watch?v=7IR2XbHIQTs
nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9500E7DF1F3FEF3BBC4052DFB767838C669EDE
reverseshot.org/reviews/entry/1558/herr_r
youtube.com/watch?v=3-CQj8n3Rek
youtube.com/watch?v=gXMSVUsPdjY
youtube.com/watch?v=_QqwhdNDu9E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fassbinder's masterpiece.

Especially the concluding episode, which can stand alone as a great film.

>Fassbinder's masterpiece.
That's not Marriage of Maria Braun

I have never seen another Fassbinder so i dont know nothing about his films i have just seen first episode of Berlin Alexanderplatz and it was kinda weird but alright.

You should check out Ali: Fear Eats Soul

*anything

I will, i have it on my watchlist.

Kind of strange how Fassbinder has sort of slipped away from the public consciousness in the 21st century. Same for Jarman, Rivette, and Angelopoulos.

Fassbinder's top 10

1 - Third Generation
2 - Year with 13 moons
3 - Berlin Alexanderplatz
4 - Beware of the holy whore
5 - Ali Fear eats the soul
6 - Why does mr R run amok
7 - Wolrd on wire
8 - Bitter tears of petra von kant
9 - Mariage of maria braun
10 - Chinese Roulette

all of them are a must watch

You also have minor masterpiece
like Verokina Voss, Fear of Fear, Martha, Lola, Rio das mortes, Satansbraten, Despair...
Very Strange, talking to filmmakers, they love what they've seen, but they haven't seen most of his films. I think there's two reasons:
1 - he has an overwhelming filmography with very varied style and subject matter.
2 - nothing flashy to copy about him, and impossible to follow, "40 films before 40? yeah no, I'm not gonna copy fassbinder."

>he has an overwhelming filmography
I think this is why a lot of younger filmmakers/enthusiasts aren't getting into him: where to start? Still, strange how someone can be so acclaimed and relevant and then suddenly almost completely disappear.

on a similar note, how do I get into Rohmer and Ophuls?

I think it's the second reason.This is also the reason a great filmmaker like Kieslowski is overlooked.

Kieslowski at least has Three Colors, and his feature filmography is sort of limited.

As soon as you get into his documentaries and stuff it becomes overwhelming.

Where do I get started with Fassbinder?

i know a guy who worked on set with fassbinder

he abused the shit out of his lead actress on marriage of maria braun

So where do i get started with Kieslowski i have only seen colours trilogy. What should i watch next?

Well Rivette and Angelopolous made long ass movies that never had good distribution. Even now now Theo films are available in HD I think. Fassbinder is more odd, he was the biggest enfant terrible of cinema since Welles but his reputation has definitely sunk since he died

La Double Vie de Veronique
Dekalog (wait for the new Criterion scan though, the currently available versions are kind of shitty)
Amator

I haven't seen No End. Blind Chance has some fantastic moments and elements, but overall it's very dated and inaccessible.

Thanks.

bumpy trut

why does herr r run amok isn't from fassbinder
also OP Berlin Alexanderplatz is a very loose film so if you don't enjoy it much by the first chapters, just know the end is worth it

>ctrl f
>No mention of World on Wire
Kill yourself reddit.

>blind chance
>dated
>inaccesible
man just because it takes place during soviet times doesn't mean it's dated, it's kieslowski's portrayal of it, with the book writers and the hospital scene
also it's one of the most accessible, more so than amator, because blind chance are three stories parting from the same one so it doesn't feel long, it has clear narrative and well balanced dialogue throughout, have you even seen it?
the only one you know from him it's the epic sci fi flick right? lmao gtfo this thread it ain't for you

see Also, he has done far more interesting movies if you ask me.

I've seen Blind Chance. To me it feels dated and inaccessible simply because of its pacing and occasionally extremely static storytelling/direction combined with just how rooted it is in some very specific political events without, in my opinion, properly taking a step back to make them more engaging for someone who was not directly involved with these events.

I can see where you're coming from, though. It is indeed more accessible simply due to how straight forward a lot of it is (compared to something like Veronique's ending).

Dekalog
A Short Film About Love
Camera Buff

That's because it was spelled wrong, here If you had the patience to read more than 5 posts you would have noticed that. Pretty embarrassing for you, reddit

i understand, he doesn't involve much with visuals in blind chance in my opinion and i agree with the static direction, but couldn't you say the same about amator?

youtube.com/watch?v=7IR2XbHIQTs

>couldn't you say the same about amator?
To a certain extent, but to me everything somehow seems more urgent and alive.

In Amator, that is.

word on a wire> matrix

Fengler and Fassbinder, I've read different accounts on how much each worked on the film. Even if a great amount of work was done by Michael Fengler it still is a fassbinder film.

A Fassbinder thread on Sup Forums did hell froze or what?
hail RWF.
keep it bumped fellow cinephiles

>tips fedora

source?
cause i heard fass just stamped his name on the film so i't get recognized, but it was directed by fengler

>contributes to thread

>tips harder

nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9500E7DF1F3FEF3BBC4052DFB767838C669EDE

reverseshot.org/reviews/entry/1558/herr_r

Wojciech Has is another great director .He has made some of the best surreal movies.His movies are unique, much different from any of Bunuel or David Lynch's works .His movies have have the dark, dreamy components of surrealism but with a fairy tale twist to it.
The Saragossa Manuscript and The Hourglass Sanatorium are 2 of his best films.The Saragossa Manuscript has one of the greatest soundtracks of cinematic history.
youtube.com/watch?v=3-CQj8n3Rek
youtube.com/watch?v=gXMSVUsPdjY
youtube.com/watch?v=_QqwhdNDu9E

i cried watching "noose"
has is great, glad his work is getting more recognized online

I still haven't watched noose.Why do you think he is so overlooked?

It is not a feel good movie. A lot more somber than most of Fassbinder's films. If you are up for that than go for it. It is worth the time.

well i think you should, one of the best portrayals of addiction in film i think
i don't particularly think he's overlooked, i mean he's recognized by scorcese, cannes, notro films and such
and the saragossa manuscript i think it's well known around here, but yeah not as much as chytilova or others, even though he's much better in my opinion

if you like his style, you may like the works of Gabór Bódy and Juraj Jakubisko

Bump

Madman above