Chef's Table

Have you guys seen this food kino?

It's from the director who made Jiro Dreams Of Sushi, he's travelling to remote Michelin Star restaurants in the world and documents the daily life of the chefs both inside and outside the restaurant, it's maximum comfy.

youtube.com/watch?v=qKqj85oo2wI

bump

I was meaning to make a thread about this, and to ask which chef was everyone's favorite, but I forgot to do it..
its a really nice show, except for the shoehorned women chefs, i had to skip that bitch in slovenia or whatever in season 2.

Looks pretentious as fuck, just give me a nice steak with some ketchup.

Isn't it funny how almost every chef is incredibly nationalistic with their cooking?

>how almost every chef is incredibly nationalistic with their cooking?

if you want to use fresh ingredients you have to take what you can get locally, of course this makes the food more regional

This.

only well done steak for me

>At a friends house for evening meal
>Its steak
>Don't bother telling them how I want my steak done
>Cut into it
>Its raw inside
>Ask how long they cooked it for
>"Is something wrong? Should be medium!"
>Grumble and go to the kitchen to cook it for a few more minutes
>They look at my like I'm insane
WOW SO IF I WANT MY MEAT COOKED.

It's GOAT - so comfy to watch

>well done
rare is the only way to have steak

>WOW SO IF I WANT MY MEAT COOKED.

it's okay, to each his own, just accept the fact that you're a massive food pleb if you prefer well done steak

Disgusting.

>Blue rare
Tasteless raw food.
>Rare
Mostly tasteless
>Medium rare
The perfect steak
>Medium
Acceptable
>Medium well
You've gone too far
>Well done
Chewy nonsense.

>tasteless
lmao

Dominic Creen could be the poster child for every aspect of cooking from presentation, to passion, creativity, she looks like she has cried over food and maybe had sex with it she's so into it.

Gaggan was great
Magnus or Grant Achatz are my top 2

magnus was interesting because he looked so autistic, but then he talks and you can instantly tell that he's an expert

As someone that loves food shows(Anthony Bourdain, Guy Fieri, Emril Lagasee, etc all that kino) even I thought this show was pretentious as fuck.

One of the chefs in one of the episodes has a logbook for everyone that has been to her restaurant and she tracks what dishes she has served to people so they always get a new course when they visit.

Another one was some restaurant where they played with the food and made it look like one thing but taste like another(these things that look like they're grapes but actually tomatoes or something idk I forget) and it has like a fancy entrance that plays tricks on you.

The show is literally the definition of pretentious.

All the pomp and grandiosity for what is just food. The stuff we put in our bodies, and then shit out later.

Most of these chefs live off the illusion that people can taste their poorly constructed concepts. They can't. The "foodie" coats their meal in smug sauce, and washes it down with a sense of superiority.

It's testament to how inane people with money can be so easily swept up into worldly everydayness dressed in the affects of art.

I'm not saying food can't be well made, or that what we eat is not something to be explored and experimented with, but this high end restaurant rockstar chef business is about as shallow as it gets.

>Guy Fieri
>Emril Lagasee
Considering your reference points I'm not at all surprised.

I agree that it's pretentious, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

How is the show pretentious? It is just documenting what the chefs do. It's not like the chef's don't know what they're doing, the restaurant that played with the food is rated 6th in the world, pretentiousness is when you're pretending to be something you're not.

>that episode in Sweden

top comfy

The pretentiousness lies in the very idea of the high-end restaurant itself.
Half of those chefs talk like what they're doing is changing the world.

It's pretentiousness at its purest.

>was pretentious as fuck.
do you even understand what that term means?

>All the pomp and grandiosity for what is just food. The stuff we put in our bodies, and then shit out later.
oh look it's the thing where you word something to seem really rudimentary in order to dismiss it, and love is just a chemical, right?

>remote Michelin star restaurants

That's why I always like good ole Gordon "Rustic" Ramsay

Why is a high-end restaurant stupid but not the concept of a concert hall?

He's not wrong though, high end restaurants in Chef's Table are pretentious as fuck and literally for white people with more money then sense.

I have no problem with good food, good food is great. Lets leave it at that though and not try and turn our restaurant into a fucking circus.

The episodes with Dan Barber and Dominique Crenn fucking sucked.

because you can't host a symphony orchestra in your living room but you can cook pretty much anything in your kitchen

You didn't read to the end.

I'm only deflating the bullshit Michelin star restaurant attitude to food.

Food is just the stuff we put in our bodies. Which can be highly significant.
It's about as significant as it gets for those who live practically without it.

Yet somehow, people like you arrive at the conclusion that the true essence of food lies in the cheap experiments of deluded chefs?

Food is beautiful, but its beauty is demeaned by them.

I dont care if this is bait, pleb or underage. FUCK OFF
and youre just completely disconnected from society. I expect to see your face in a paper someday of you murdering someone

Magnus, Bottura and Mallman were great
Niki was also pretty cool too.
Fucking hyped for Passard, guy is a legend.

Too bad this thread has completely fucking derailed.

Are you a world-class chef?
You haven't explained a thing.

my favorite was the argentinian guy that cooked outside sometimes, really digged his style

Nah, if you are upset, you are welcome to leave.

>Another one was some restaurant where they played with the food and made it look like one thing but taste like another(these things that look like they're grapes but actually tomatoes or something idk I forget) and it has like a fancy entrance that plays tricks on you.
>a form of entertainment that has been practiced for several millennia is now pretentious just because a no fun having poster on a Tibetan Gem Carving Bulletin Board declares it.
Cool story bro.

if you have a violin you can play any masterpiece you like by that logic

Then what is the literal point driving tens of miles off the beaten path to venture to a restaurant if what you'll experience there is just going to be like a fast food restaurant right at the highway exit?

it's always people with absolutely zero palate who call fine dining restaurants pretentious. same as those who watch superhero movies and call Bela Tarr, Ceylan, and Greenaway's films pretentious.

some episodes of this are definitely pretentious

some are good though

You get to places like Noma where one of the courses your being served is literally a pair raw shrimp covered in ants and any sort of argument about having a refined palate to enjoy the food goes flying out the window for me. Especially considering you pay something like $400 for a 20 course meal.

I haven't eaten anything like it but there's precedent for serving uncooked meat and for using insects. You're just doing some kneejerk shit and calling it bad without even trying it.

The music world has its own pretensions. This seems like a false equivalency to me.
>I'm not a supporter the high-end restaurant
>Disconnected from society
Can you even hear yourself?
Expensive food is the way in which insecure people with money buy their way into "taste". It's pathetic.
I've explained plenty. And you didn;t ask me to explain anything. You go first. Explain to me how you justify this self-important nonsense.
I'm not trying to compare the high-end restaurant with other restaurants. Of course the food with be better in one than the other. I'm arguing against the smug self-satisfied bullshit. Good food is great. Wonderful even. It is not important, and it is not art. At least not in the high-end restaurant version of it.
>that superiority complex.

I like the work of all three of those directors, but I still think the chef's table is pretentious drivel.

There's no reason to defend it either.

It's akin to modern art. Without all the fawning from critics it would be nothing.

>this butthurt over being too poor for high-end restaurants

>Noma

Are you from Denmark or something? A guy I knew in elementary school is the head chef there now, he's Canadian though.

i was about to respond to your post and then i read this:
>Expensive food is the way in which insecure people with money buy their way into "taste".
that's when i realized we're dealing with the dude who adds ketchup to his well-done steak.

>Derives sense of self from going to high-end restaurants

Speaks for itself.

We used to have good discussions, but frankly OP you're marketing to the bottom of the barrel here. None of these retarded NEETs or Sup Forumsacks have any interest in anything other than frozen food and capeshit

Anything that can be experienced can in its own way be elevated. Part of being alive is finding art in it.
Unless you're an unironic
>a:10
>v:10
>thanks yifi

I'm not defending it, I am attacking you because you haven't fucking eaten the food and are just dismissing it because "hurr it's expensive and unconventional", which are retarded fucking reasons.

I eat well.

My mother is Japanese, and I live in Europe. I've helped her prepare various Japanese cuisines since I was twelve.

You need an overpaid food magician to tell you how to appreciate food. I just need my tongue and my family.

Raw shellfish is tasty in of itself but it's not $20 for just the course of 2 shrimp and a dozen live ants tasty.

>My mother is Japanese, and I live in Europe. I've helped her prepare various Japanese cuisines since I was twelve.
>my palate has been folded one million times

it's shit

So why is Chef's Table pretentious but not Jiro?

This is the fundamental difference. We need food to live. It would be like telling someone how to artfully take a shit.

Art, in all its forms, is in some sense superfluous. So when we place importance on it, we partake in this fundamentally human activity by which we elevate something essentially irrelevant to the level of an art.

I think if there is art in food, it lies in how it is prepared in the average homes of different cultures. Street food. Real food.

These food charlatans don't even come close.

did you really just bring your mother into the debate? really, mate?

Damn straight.

What? Did yours bring you to expensive restaurats all your life? Smacking you on the back of the head and telling you to "refine your palate".

serious question: are you still twelve?

Good job defending yourself.

Makes sense that a board filled with capeshit, racebait and gossip joruanlism can't stand that there are god damn chefs who put effort into what they do

Next step will be why do cinematographers exist? Just put the damn camera there, who cares

>high cuisine isn't real food because it's not made by street vendors or my mom

Enjoy trying to get a reservation at Dorsia you jumped up faggot.

Nice false equivalency.

So expensive restaurants are only pretentious and bad when they're more expensive than you can afford? Like I said, sour grapes.

It is food. Just garbed in pretentious bullshit. I'm sure it tastes lovely, potentially better than anything I have ever eaten. Still pretentious shit. Because it's just food.

All I'm saying is that the world of the high end restaurant chef has disappeared up its own ass. They're not changing the world. They're just overcharging it.

>It would be like telling someone how to artfully take a shit.
Way to offend two thirds of German, you MRA pig.

Jesus. You have no argument do you?
I'm sure it tastes delicious. That's not my argument. It's the pretentious culture that bloats it up to be more than it is.

There's no getting through to you, I guess. You're too far gone.

Enjoy spending the rest of your life thinking money = sophistication

Es tut uns leid

You can say that about anything though. What the fuck do you mean, S.T Peter's Basilica? It's just a big house! Sports cars? gay, my old miata has worked since forever, they're practically the same, 4 wheels and an engine. etc.

Have you considered that people who make food in high-end restaurants aren't primarily aiming to satisfy the hunger of their customers, but give them an culinary experience?

no his mom is japanese therefore he's automatically a food genius

The essence of a thing is what it does, yes. So what is important about a car is found in its ability to get someone from a to b. People with enough cash to buy five and six expensive sports cars are often just buying them as badges of wealth. More power to them.

We need to eat every day. We need to drive every day. We need to be sheltered every day. The idea that someone thinks they are eating, moving, or living in a more refined and sophisticated way because they have more money to throw at the objects that provide these services is obnoxious to me.

I can admire a sports car, and at the same time say that at the end of the day it is just a car, and be completely right on both counts.

>culinary experience
I'm sure you're right, but this is exactly what I'm skeptical of. They inject such hyperbole into it. They act as if they're serving up philosophy/art/life itself on a plate. They're not.

In fact, the reason they have to borrow so heavily in the descriptions from other areas is because there is no reasonable way to talk up food without trying to blow it up with the terminology of real disciplines.

Never said that. I'm not a ketchup n' steakbro.

You are such a pathetic faggot.

Make a real argument will you?

Grant Achatz for sure, he cooks how I like to approach art and design

Took me through an unmotivated period to make some installations I'm truly proud of

This is the guy.
Down to earth cooking wins every time.

>No French chef
dropped

i like you. that's exactly my point of view regarding luxury articles...

you're not wrong about there being some level of pretension in these types of shows but i disagree with the notion just because food is something we eat every day it can't be art. an exemplary well-made dish can be art. a finely tuned sports car can be art.

a lot of this can com from the passion of the chef creating the dish. a person using all their skill and creativity to create something that has a unique taste, presentation or fusion of flavors is art. it's not "philosophy" or anything like that and it doesn't change the world (it is "just food" in the end) but it's representative of a part of the human soul a little.

that's art, i think.

>The idea that someone thinks they are eating, moving, or living in a more refined and sophisticated way because they have more money to throw at the objects that provide these services is obnoxious to me.
So you think the chefs are dumb and mean because not everyone with money is a renaissance man capable of appreciating what they've bought to the fullest?

In the end you're just an organism just like bacteria or cattle, so I wouldn't talk such shit about things that "are just" if I were you.

I'm totally on board with you there buddy.

I just think that the current incarnation of food "art" is up its own ass.

Maybe the art in food is, as you say, a chef's passion and ingenuity. But perhaps it's the last of the strawberrys I grew for the first time this summer.

It's more like carpentry than it is oil painting. I think carpentry can be artful, but carpenters don't talk like it is. They have no need for it. They provide a service, and if they're very good, they're appreciated. I wish these high end chefs could take a page from the trades men that they actually have a lot in common with.

>France
>pinnacle of food

it's not the 19th century anymore, Pierre

>So you think the chefs are dumb and mean
>dumb and mean
what are you, seven?

I actually have more of a problem with their appreciators than the chefs themselves most of the time.
>renaissance man capable of appreciating what they've bought to the fullest?
Is this actually how you see yourself?
Read what what you wrote back to yourself but imagine someone else wrote. Now tell, wouldn't you think they're a faggot too?

>In the end you're just an organism just like bacteria or cattle, so I wouldn't talk such shit about things that "are just" if I were you.
I guess you're trying to counter what you think is my argument with this half-baked and malformed sentence. Try again maybe? Try to be clearer.

i generally agree with you here. a lot of chefs and restaurant owners are incredibly self-aggrandizing about what they do.

Thanks friend.

>you will never be a bioengineer collaborating with one of these chefs to create new forms of tasty plants and animals

Pinnacle of food maybe not, but pinnacle of cooking for sure.

I just started watching this show a couple of days ago. It's pretty good. My favourite episode so far was the one with Francis Mallmann, the guy who likes to cook outdoors/with fire.

First season is pure gold. Loved it. Haven't seen the second one. Is it worth it?

I'll watch it but Jiro dreams of sushi was great mostly because of his endless ambition and need to perfect himself

Didn't all the unnecessary head chef shouting and belittling the people who allow his restaurant to successfully run come from the sweaty and unshaven depravity of the French kitchen? No thanks.

there is some good shit in there

So because you've tasted jap food and live in Europe you are an expert on fine dining?
Sounds pretty retarded and this is coming from someone who's also from Europe and eat well.

What are talking about? Read the comment I was responding to. I was just pointing out that I am not a steak and ketchup slob. That's all. Nothing more.

Also quit samefagging. You're either an user who made this or a similar comment already, or you're equally retard to the user who did.

>The idea that someone thinks they are eating, moving, or living in a more refined and sophisticated way because they have more money to throw at the objects that provide these services is obnoxious to me.
Like it or not it's money that will let you hire the most skilled chef, with the proper tools and the best ingredients to make you the "best" meal. Food can be art, I mean at its core food has always been about creativity the second we grew past living in caves, and like all art the ones with the money are the ones best positioned to partake in it.

Now it doesn't mean that they have what it takes to fully take in the experience, money doesn't magically make you a taste palate god, but that doesn't nullify the fact that that dish made by a skilled master at the art of making food, with the proper tools and the proper ingredients is better (in more ways than one), or at the very least more unique than your local McDonalds

> most skilled chef
Subjective
>with the proper tools
Pots, pans, stove, anyone can get this stuff.
>best ingredients
Most of the time the "best" ingredients are just local ingredients that are fresh and in season.
The chef buys these, and milks them for their cultural value.
>the "best" meal.
Again, subjective. The options are not just between fast food and high dining. I think both are questionable, but only one is pretentious.

>Food can be art
potentially, but art does not have to be exclusive the way high end dining is. Although, art can be this way. And when it is, it I generally think it's pretentious.
>I mean at its core food has always been about creativity
This is just wrong. At its core food is about sustenance. Are you serious?
>the second we grew past living in caves
You don't have to be a cave-dweller to be out of the price bracket of these snobby high end restaurants.
>and like all art the ones with the money are the ones best positioned to partake in it
This absolutely veritably untrue. My local gallery is free. Want more examples? I could go on for a good while.

>Now it doesn't mean that they have what it takes to fully take in the experience, money doesn't magically make you a taste palate god, but that doesn't nullify the fact that that dish made by a skilled master at the art of making food, with the proper tools and the proper ingredients is better
This is the most snooty load of drivel I have read today. You're one of the palate gods I suppose?
Get real.
>or at the very least more unique than your local McDonalds
Is that literally the only comparison you have? Low hanging fruit.

It's all completely subjective.

You're no more correct than they are.

as for me, i just like some meat, on a plate, any way you want it

THATS THE WAY YOU GOT IT ANY WAY YOU WANT IT

>Subjective
Oh yes, someone that has been cooking for 30 years and has graduated from top culinary schools and knows every dish and every ingredient from every part of the world is SUBJECTIVELY better than a burger flipper or your japanese mother that has been cooking the same dishes for the last 20 years. Nigga just because it's not math it doesn't mean there aren't objective criteria to cooking skills.

>Most of the time the "best" ingredients are just local ingredients that are fresh and in season.
>The chef buys these, and milks them for their cultural value.
So clueless it's actually both sad and hilarious.

>potentially, but art does not have to be exclusive the way high end dining is. Although, art can be this way. And when it is, it I generally think it's pretentious.
So let me get this straight, in your mind
Food+art=Something good
but
Food+art+expensive=Pretentious?

The moment a dish costs alot of money that instantly makes it not!art and pretentions? What kind of fucked up logic is that?

>This is just wrong. At its core food is about sustenance. Are you serious?
Food hasn't been about sustenance (unless you live in Africa) for hundreads of years now. If it was then everyone would be eating tasteless and cheap protein bars and food supplements. In the 21st century getting food isn't the question for 90% of people, getting good food is the question.