What's so good about this?

>always avoid this album and band because the name and cover looks like an emo/my chemical romance rip off.

>it's constantly posted on Sup Forums
>"Fuck it, lets do some quick research"

>ohhh, it's from 1991, and the album scores are 9 or 10/10 everywhere.

>praised by Reznor and Corgan to the point where they admit to ripping it off.

>"holy shit, must get it"
>get Loveless

>first track - "Fuck yeah, that's awesome. This is gunna kick ass"

>2nd track "ehh, nothing great about that
>3rd track "crap again"
>4th track "more crap"
>repeat for all tracks

Did I fall for a meme band?

>get the MBV album because its the supposedly the pinnacle of their sound

>hate every single track

What the fuck Sup Forums? You sure you aren't memeing me?

I don't need easy listening music. I've spent the last couple of decades listening to fucked up industrial sub genres, so that's not it.

WHAT THE FUCK?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qpSNxOO4vS8
youtube.com/watch?v=KQsdO8e8fwY
books.google.com/books?id=8wSRAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=music criticism principle&source=bl&ots=eBtX9T4_sW&sig=GQ18cMGlighnWtowXCRU0URs8Oo&hl=sr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9vsm828zUAhWoAMAKHXnFBWUQ6AEIUjAH#v=onepage&q=music criticism principle&f=false
books.google.com/books?hl=sr&lr=&id=KTfKDAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=music criticism history&ots=WyF88bf3Hw&sig=cklfGKWVCQg9hcC9IY7hEEdGjh4&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=music criticism history&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

trash her style and invite her to learn from you

(she won't learn anything but she might suck your dick)

Tease her good-naturedly. Stare at her for a minute with obvious mirth on your face and when she catches on, say something like: I'm just trying to figure out how you came up with that outfit.

She'll saying something like what's wrong with it

You say: nothing, it just tells me you're single (she might not be but run with it)

How does it do that?

Because if you had a man he would tell you not to wear that goofy ass shit haha

Once you've thrown her off balance she's easy pickings for your dickings

eh, its not my favorite, but its aight.
I have to be in the right mood for vacuum cleaners. Sometimes it does it for me, sometimes it doesnt.

You call that vacuum-core? No, THIS is vacuum-core.
youtube.com/watch?v=qpSNxOO4vS8

It's not for everyone.
If you expected straight-forward energetic rock or something, then obviously you won't like it.
The beauty of the album is the special, dreamy atmosphere it manages to create with its loud distorted sound. Go somewhere dark and quiet, get relaxed, then listen to the album.

Sorry, but you honestly need to listen to this album at least 10 times to make sure you don't like it. It might seem like I'm memeing you, but Reznor and Corgan aren't lying.

I feel like this guy listened to a different album than I did. Dark and quiet? Honestly, this is what I listen to when I'm walking downtown, like I'm in Lost in Translation. And this album, at its core, is very much straight-forward energetic rock (well, if you'd call Dinosaur Jr. energetic), but done to PERFECTION. There's nothing wrong with that when the end result is this good.

>fucked up industrial subgenres

Wow user you're as tough as a cow hide

It's a production triumph. Case in point, at Shield's admission they used maybe 2 guitar tracks at most for any given song, yet got this sort of sound back then. People literally had no idea how he was doing it. He also intentionally kept song structures simple so as to not distract from the sounds being made, hence why it can feel a bit easy listening. It's not some intense, overbearing work that's a testament to endurance or anything but Shields did spend nearly a decade through MBV working his way up to the warped but dreamlike "Loveless sound", and it endures because few have hit such an elegant fusion of noise and melody - an album as seemingly abrasive as Loveless sounds almost paradoxically sweet for such a designation. Imagine if Merzbow got his schtick to sound sweeter than cotton candy and that's basically what Shields did for guitars on Loveless.

You fucking retard. Whats with all these newfags listening to albums song to song. You don't judge an album song to song. Go listen to normie pop or trap bangers if you want that. You treat it as an entire listening experience and see where it takes your mood and mind.

Actually you know what, this guy is right. You can't really judge an album like this based off of the quality of the individual songs. The first 5 or 6 times I listened to Loveless, I often times couldn't even tell when the song changed.

No it's godly.

I used to think like you until I listened to it a couple more times
My friend used to think this till I made him listen to it a couple more times.
His brother used to think this till he made him listen to it a couple more time.

Now we have conversations with each other about how it's one of the greatest album ever made.

So go listen to it until it clicks and you can experience what we all do.

Didn't expect straight-forward rock. I knew what I was getting into because of the reviews.

I understand the "dreamscape" feel. I just can't find anything appealing about it. I don't get "taken to another dimension".

However, I've only had 2 play throughs in my car. I'll try later tonight when I'm Stoned in the dark alone.

I suspected it may be a "grower". Will continue giving it a chance for another week or so.

lol I was waiting for that. This is why I hate other industrial fans and never speak to them.

Actually I want to amend this a bit, Isn't Anything was the rock album. Loveless on the other hand, is pop. Pop pop pop. An entire album of perfect, amped up, floaty pop songs. Nothing wrong with that either.

Well, everyone thinks this album is a masterpiece. So purely by that fact alone i know I'm in the wrong.

I'll keep listening to it.

It really is.

If it isn't for you man I ain't gonna judge you because I have those albums too that I think are mediocre but everyone seems to claim is a masterpiece (spiderland).

But do try to listen to it at least 10 times that's all one can ask for I gave spiderland that many listens

What struck me as odd was I instantly fell in love with the first track, on the first listen.

I suspect this is because it's got the most structure. It appears to have a a verse and chorus.

I guess that's why they stuck it as the first track.

holy shit, in your car? are you shitting me? You only listen to loveless blasting in your headphones late at night alone either sitting or walking. no other time or speakers will allow you to grasp the album.

2 play throughs in your car? Wtf m8. Sit down with some headphones and learn to listen to music and not just hear it.

I think structure isn't the point of Loveless. My favorite song on it is To Here Knows When and that's arguably the least structured song on the album. It's just an entire track of waves of guitar sound ebbing and flowing with spacey female vocals on top. On the point of structure, you might want to try latching onto When You Sleep and Sometimes if that's something you need.

It's a Sup Forums circlejerk, nothing to see here.
Same shit with Swans, Death Grips, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beach Boys, Animal Collective, Slint, etc...
What's posted here 24/7 basically

Post your favorite album friend :)

The songs are all extremely structured, to the point of brainlessness. Intro, verse, intro again, verse, intro, verse, repeat intro until end. Some songs have a coda. I Only Said is the only one that even has a bridge, other than that it's straight ABABABA on every song. Somehow this doesn't take anything away from the album, even after hearing it a hundred times.

I understand not liking all Sup Forumscore albums, but the fact that something is Sup Forumscore doesn't make it trash. These are all critically-acclaimed albums for a reason. If you hate an album just because most of Sup Forums loves it, it makes you an edgy douche who treats music an accessory to your image and who's too insecure to like something considered popular.

t. numale

Really great post man you really showed him who the master memer was

comparing loveless to vacuums is an old meme

Stoned is the only way to trutly appreciate the album desu. But once you do you'll find out that album is something.

i think drunk is better. specifically drunk running home at 2 in the morning when you just got back from hanging out with your best friend the night before moving away from your hometown city of 18 years and not seeing your friends for a while. Also during the phase where you're entering entry level Sup Forumscore. this album and every album will never be as good as any music ever than in that moment in my life.

youtube.com/watch?v=KQsdO8e8fwY

Thanks for posting that. Fascinating

you're a fucking retard

my bloody valentine and loveless is an exception to the rule user

lol not OP but loveless is actually fucking awesome through the loudest speakers you can find - headphones don't produce the kind of bass necessary for peak wooziness.

oh look, it's the twice-daily "I hate Loveless" thread. So excited

i saw you in that other thread

How could you not like When You Sleep? Pretty sure this thread is bait desu

You don't have to like it, you know that, right? Used to be 10/10 for me right out of first listen, but now I can barely enjoy its kinda shallow one trick pony structures and progressions. Just effects don't make a good record, especially a record that maintains so many samey effects as Loveless.

Take away that track's approach towards using effects, and you get a track as boring as radio pop music.

tryhards get out

what are your favorite albums?

listen to it how it sounds like instead of overanalyzing a pop song then

Bach's Organ Works (as done by Helmut Walcha)
Shostakovich's string quartets
Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
James Holden - Balance 005
Oneohtrixpointnever - Replica/R+7

Yeah, and it doesn't have much to offer from that perspective either. A generic pop song doesn't automatically become good just because it chose to be more raw and use a lot of reverb. It's not like there's a lot of sound manipulation to make up for the simpler structures like an OPN record for example, nor is it very energetic like a dance music record. I swear you guys would anything on top 40 just as long as it has shoegaze production/effects.

>It's not like there's a lot of sound manipulation to make up for the simpler structures like an OPN record for example, nor is it very energetic like a dance music record. I swear you guys would anything on top 40 just as long as it has shoegaze production/effects.
By your logic Brian Eno's Another Green World is nothing but generic jolly top 40 pop songs. I'm not a fan of pop music either, but I'd like you to show me a casual music listener who would consider Loveless anything other than noise and a complete mess. And given your diverse taste, I'm surprised how you can dismiss one of the albums doing almost everything in its power to subvert and disfigure simple pop song structures. I'd suggest watching this video:

t. generic over-analytical daily user

>I swear you guys would anything on top 40 just as long as it has shoegaze production/effects.

MBV is the only one doing the reverb right. If you can't hear why Loveless is one of the pinnacle works in rock music then you just don't get it user.

That video gave me a new perspective on the album and made me truly appreciate it. And "lucky" for you, Loveless is almost universally regarded as pinnacle of shoegaze and there's not really a need to hear many shoegaze albums after listening to it.

>It's not like there's a lot of sound manipulation to make up for the simpler structures like an OPN record for example, nor is it very energetic like a dance music record.

holy shit please tell me you're underage

he listens to classical music so he clearly isn't user

Hipster kid listen to these classical shit because its ''''''relaxing"''''''

i like your favorites but you're completely missing the point of loveless and pop music in general

good luck on your journey

>AGW
Not a big fan of that either. But that record certainly offers more timbral diversity on a track by track basis and actually tries to often more progressive bits whether in the form of instrumentation or chord progression in its poppy structure.
>subvert/disfigure pop structure
A good amount of the record is literally verse chorus verse with tracks like Only Shallow and When You Sleep doing that structure to a tee (melodic catchy hook instrumentation with basic chords for verses.) Not being disfigured nor subverted at all.
>only one doing reverb right
What does this even mean? Stop talking out of your ass and actually say something.
>I can't say anything of substance so I'll just call him underage meme
Pop music has historically offered simpler structures than art music but then offers something else in exchange, most often something more energetic and visceral. Loveless in this day and age has nothing interesting to bring to the table. It's atmosphere is too lazy to be energetic also because the rhythm section is very lacking (why is it even there?), meanwhile the surface aesthetic of the album that everyone appreciates is...only shallow because it lacks any real changes, using the same sounds/effects except a couple samples.

>Loveless in this day and age has nothing interesting to bring to the table.

well i guess that makes everyone but you retarded

go back to /daily/ and pretend to like music there

>A good amount of the record is literally verse chorus verse
Everyone obviously knows that. We're trying to tell you that you're listening to it in an already self defeating way. There are exceptions to every rule.

>because it lacks any real changes, using the same sounds/effects except a couple samples.
Actually nevermind I see that you didn't actually listen to it and/or don't want to like it for whatever (personal) reason.

This conversation has been pointless.

And you just know this OP will be all 'OMG Loveless clicked XD' in like 2 weeks

I'm not sure if you're even serious at this point, but watch this video:
>Pop music has historically offered simpler structures than art music but then offers something else in exchange, most often something more energetic and visceral. Loveless in this day and age has nothing interesting to bring to the table.
And do you know what else has pop music offered? Profitable investment strategy. Loveless offers innovation, unique atmosphere for any time of the day you might be listening to it. I've asked you to point us all to a casual music listener even recognizing ABAB song structure elements of Loveless and thinking of it as anything other that noise and a complete mess. I'm not a fan of pop music either and I wasn't new to experimental music at the time I've heard Loveless, but it took me 4 listens to truly appreciate it.
>meanwhile the surface aesthetic of the album that everyone appreciates is...
Oh, because an album is "appreciated" and critically acclaimed you just can't like it? Bach is revered to this day and by your logic you should stop liking his music. This is getting ridiculous.

are you deaf? 5th track and all to and are 11/10 tracks you retard. and 6th track is even 12/10

i noticed this happens a lot here

According to whatever this was intended to be , it's very likely.

All that needs to be done is mention any musician more popular than MBV that's liked by the masses by looked down upon here to destroy this argument of popularity that you bring up.
Loveless is their most unanimously love popular music work. Only I think TBSATSL is more unanimously loved there. Wtf are you on? /daily/ is the epitome of enjoying something because of its surface level gimmick.
>le you didn't listen to it!
Still can't bring up actual points. Nothing really changes except on the obvious track by track change and it's true.
>exception
It's equivalence of exception you bring us more akin to like skin color preference for attraction. That's all it's production/samples achieve.
>innovation
>unique
An album of nothing but farts achieve this as well. Neither of these qualities entail timeless goodness.
>profitable investment
I don't give a fuck about the business side of things. That's not what we are discussing.
>recognizing ABAB
Pretty sure everyone does.
>people thinks it's nothing but noise
No they don't. Ffs did you just start listening to music more seriously?
>because it's appreciated you can't like it?
How the hell did you pull this out of what I said? I said that what people appreciate about Loveless is something that is very surface level and shallow in the context of both what the album offers and music as a whole. Nothing I said even mentions that appreciating something is bad.
I have been on Sup Forums longer than most itt, and I even prefaced with the fact that it was 10/10 for me at one point. But you grow up, and so do your tastes.

>Used to be 10/10 for me right out of first listen

Nah he's just too good for style over substance pop music now

>people think it's nothing but noise
>No they don't. Ffs did you just start listening to music more seriously?
And yet you can't appreciate Loveless for whatever reason or bias. And how come you can appreciate intricate classical music pieces and not just "simple, pop with reverb" in your words? And what style over substance? Which "pop musicians" invented a new guitar sound and playing style like Kevin Shields did? Not to mention the innovative use of wall of sound production technique at the time.

And what's with your objection to music production techniques? Should every album be produced by Rick Rubin and dare not to sound almost identical to his style of production? Should every album be mastered like The Velvet Underground's debut?

>Neither of these qualities entail timeless goodness.
No matter what you think Loveless has aged well so that's on you.
>No they don't. Ffs did you just start listening to music more seriously?
Seriously.
>But you grow up, and so do your tastes.
More cringe. I've been here for a long time as well and this is actually one of the only popular albums everyone goes back to even after having discovered various genres in music. You're really on your own here.

you should've stopped posting a long time ago buddy

New to this site? Just out of high school? Or just trying to troll me by purposefully missing the point?

I clearly have given reasons to why I am not a fan of Loveless anymore. I have mentioned why uniqueness/innovation aren't good measures for quality. And I did not say anything implying that Loveless' production is so inherently bad that every record should be produced the same exact way. You're pulling shit out of your ass. Lets hope it's for the sake of trolling me and not an embarrassing attempt at actually reading posts.
>No matter what you think Loveless has aged well so that's on you.
Nope. That's not on me at all. For the most of it this is ultimately on the individual. But if we use more objective metrics in terms of techniques/styles used on Loveless, nothing on it is so advanced that it hasn't been done again.
>More cringe. I've been here for a long time as well and this is actually one of the only popular albums everyone goes back to even after having discovered various genres in music. You're really on your own here.
You aren't really proving anything here by appealing to majority opinion. Otherwise if you insinuate that tastes stay the same, you are still relatively young, and Sup Forums's general popularity of certain records especially can't be used as an example because of not only what I said in my previous sentences but also because of how users are cycled here as well.

>New to this site? Just out of high school? Or just trying to troll me by purposefully missing the point?
>I clearly have given reasons to why I am not a fan of Loveless anymore. I have mentioned why uniqueness/innovation aren't good measures for quality. And I did not say anything implying that Loveless' production is so inherently bad that every record should be produced the same exact way. You're pulling shit out of your ass. Lets hope it's for the sake of trolling me and not an embarrassing attempt at actually reading posts.
The exact same can be said about you. You're not willing to understand analogies and implications for some reason. And to put an end to all of this - what do you truly value in a piece of music to be considered worthy in your eyes?

I'm 29 and I actually like the favorites you've listed itt. You're completely missing the point of this album since I do think it's one of the better albums made in popular music even after ''growing up''.
>nothing on it is so advanced that it hasn't been done again.
And yet till this day nothing sounds like Loveless. There may have been attempts but that's really it. Once again if you think that's the case then you're on your own.

>The exact same can be said about you. You're not willing to understand analogies and implications for some reason.
I have very clearly mentioned why each and every analogy and appeal made by everyone that has replied to me doesn't work.
>And to put an end to all of this - what do you truly value in a piece of music to be considered worthy in your eyes?
It has to be among the best at anything that it does. If it's mediocre all around, then I am not interested. This becomes especially true when I have less and less free time in life. Sure this is where one would mention "but user! you're missing out on so many musical experiences this way!" But at this point having listened to so much music, turns out all those so called "different" or "unique" musical experiences didn't really amount to much because at the end of the day they didn't have as much to offer to an avid listener that likes to engage with the music.

>And yet till this day nothing sounds like Loveless.

he's just not able to appreciate the sound of it because of personal and over-analytical bias

> I've spent the last couple of decades listening to fucked up industrial sub genres
can you recc me some albums then?

nevermind you're autistic

>You're completely missing the point of this album since I do think it's one of the better albums made in popular music even after ''growing up''.
That's good for you, but I still have my reasons that I have listed. Continually saying "you're missing the point" doesn't make a difference.
>And yet till this day nothing sounds like Loveless. There may have been attempts but that's really it.
There's literally an entire genre based on that sound. Of course there have been attempts, none truly exactly like it, but close enough. Even though I have mentioned that uniqueness/innovation doesn't mean quality in this thread, my discussion with you entails how a record has aged, and in this case there are records that get close results to Loveless using the same techniques, while those very techniques have also advanced technologically as well. Using the metrics of similarity in approach, similarity in sound (shoegaze), and advancements in technology, it hasn't aged well. Sure, otherwise, "it's just me" as in it's opinion, but that part's just opinion, and not universal.
Lmao

>But at this point having listened to so much music, turns out all those so called "different" or "unique" musical experiences didn't really amount to much because at the end of the day they didn't have as much to offer to an avid listener that likes to engage with the music.
Wouldn't you agree that Bach was innovative at his time? And you're claiming that innovation and societal factors in which a piece of art is created doesn't matter. That principle has been abandoned a long time ago. Should've Bach's contribution to music be rendered insignificant after Wendy Carlos' Switched-On Bach album because it could be perfectly played by a Moog synthesizer? That's a clear technological advancement and even her contributions to music have been recognized, even though she didn't compose those pieces. I'm not claiming you're obligated to enjoy every album you've hard and therefore consider it your personal favorite. It's clear that no one in this thread could convince you otherwise. I would also like to know which "unique" albums have you been disappointed by other than Loveless, because other posters may have similar experiences.

look out everyone we have another needledrop here

objectivity > feelings ftw

>I've only had 2 play throughs
Loveless was a grower for me. It's now one of my favorite albums.

>if you take everything away from the song, what do you have left?
Not everything is a competition to make the most complex arrangements possible. It's just nice sounds.

>Wouldn't you agree that Bach was innovative at his time?
Somewhat, he learned a lot from his predecessors like Vivaldi. But it's the sheer amount of melodic/harmonic depth in his music that makes it timeless and for me, above his peers (compare that to the more innovative Vivaldi who plays it relatively safe when it comes to looking at the actual compositions themselves.)
>And you're claiming that innovation and societal factors in which a piece of art is created doesn't matter.
Maybe when it was released yeah sure. But what about after that? What makes it GOAT? Certainly not the now irrelevant luster of its release time.
>even though she didn't compose those pieces
Answer to my question you asked before that sentence. Considering how much work was done in the actual composition, Bach can do that. Kevin Shields' pop songwriting can't.
>I would also like to know which "unique" albums have you been disappointed by other than Loveless, because other posters may have similar experiences.
Faust I and MBDTF come to mind.

Hello summerfag

>Faust I and MBDTF come to mind.
I don't understand why you would've even given MBDTF a time of day, but I was disappointed by all Faust albums except 71 minutes of Faust. I'm getting the idea that you're of the opinion that nothing except classical music is even worth of actual praise.

>Maybe when it was released yeah sure. But what about after that? What makes it GOAT? Certainly not the now irrelevant luster of its release time.
Just for good measure:
books.google.com/books?id=8wSRAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=music criticism principle&source=bl&ots=eBtX9T4_sW&sig=GQ18cMGlighnWtowXCRU0URs8Oo&hl=sr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9vsm828zUAhWoAMAKHXnFBWUQ6AEIUjAH#v=onepage&q=music criticism principle&f=false
books.google.com/books?hl=sr&lr=&id=KTfKDAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR9&dq=music criticism history&ots=WyF88bf3Hw&sig=cklfGKWVCQg9hcC9IY7hEEdGjh4&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=music criticism history&f=false

>I'm getting the idea that you're of the opinion that nothing except classical music is even worth of actual praise.
For what it's worth, most of what I listen to is indeed either in the realm of art music (western or even eastern like Hindustani classical), jazz, and electronic music (more dancey stuff or harsher stuff for energetic visceral stuff, more ambient or experimental stuff for atmosphere and sound experimentation.)

>most of what I listen to is indeed either in the realm of art music (western or even eastern like Hindustani classical), jazz, and electronic music (more dancey stuff or harsher stuff for energetic visceral stuff, more ambient or experimental stuff for atmosphere and sound experimentation.)
Our tastes align here, although I'm not a fan of any dance oriented electronic music and I still appreciate Loveless.

The kind of context that passage implies has little to do with the kind of context we speak of right now in terms of consumption.
>although I'm not a fan of any dance oriented electronic music
Damn, what do you even listen to when you just wanna jam to some upbeat stuff? For what it's worth btw, thanks for trying to have a more civil discussion here.

>Damn, what do you even listen to when you just wanna jam to some upbeat stuff?
Aside from Wes, Pat Martino's music is very upbeat too.
>For what it's worth btw, thanks for trying to have a more civil discussion here.
That's what I always intend to do. Clearly, the lack of post quality control or any moderation or rule enforcement for that matter has surely served Sup Forums and other boards well over the years.

loveless is best on shitty speakers even kevin says that

It took me about 10 listens to really "get" it, though I was only like 15 when I first heard it. A grown adult should understand MBV and why they are so special.

>doesnt like What You Want
It's like Only Shallow but better

I Only Said is the best shugazi track has been ever created

Extremely satisfying to play on guitar too.

>the more innovative Vivaldi who plays it relatively safe
>innovative
>plays it safe

Do you even know what the words you're using mean?

It was my least favorite track when I first heard the album, but over time I realized it is actually the best.

Good variation of guitar tone.

>Do you even know what the words you're using mean?
If you know these artists you know what I am talking about. Vivaldi trailed blazes for baroque music in terms of approach towards arrangement and orchestration, but those he influenced expanded the composing side even further while Vivaldi's compositions sound far more formulaic and far less adventurous.

>(western or even eastern like Hindustani classical

spotted the pretentious art faggot who hasn't left his house for 5 years after failing college for the 3rd time

>because Touched is garbage

Nah, it's a fun little distortion experiment that's brief enough to not realistically distract from anything. Fantastic video otherwise.

Hahaha nah. Most of my reduction of music I have done in this topic has been mores result of not having the free time I used to since becoming a consultant. My thing's that if I have limited time, I wanna be listening to the most engaging stuff. Also why I am not big into JRPGs any more because they don't offer as much excitement/user engagement within a fixed period of time that a shorter more fast paced game might.

LOL