/folk/ general

Counting the boats in the bay edition

Welcome to /folk/, the friendliest general on Sup Forums! Here you can discuss trad, revival, singer-songwriter, folk-rock, folk-jazz, anything relevant to the notion of folk- if you feel like it's folk you can discuss it here!

Props to the user who posted Vashti Bunyan's Just Another Diamond Day last thread, I really loved it. It went straight onto my main chart and my folk chart.

I have something of a daily discussion for everyone. I was reading Tolstoy's "Kreutzer Sonata" and it's apparently based on his belief that Beethoven, as much as he enjoyed his music and other composers, was excessive and not as universally "good" as folk songs and children's music, and also lacking in passion comparatively. Here's a quote:

“…not only do I not see how the feelings transmitted by this work could unite people not specially trained to submit themselves to its complex hypnotism, but I am unable to imagine to myself a crowd of normal people who could understand anything of this long, confused, and artificial production, except short snatches which are lost in a sea of what is incomprehensible. And therefore, whether I like it or not, I am compelled to conclude that this work belongs to the rank of bad art.”

This speaks to me, regarding the general state of Sup Forums. Don't you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MFTKe5Awysw
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1496988783217.webm
pitchfork.com/thepitch/a-brief-history-of-prog-folk-fleet-foxes/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ukp3noJEGdY
youtube.com/watch?v=vJNhSsrbuj8
youtube.com/watch?v=3mATEy0Avc4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Jajajajajaja

hola! eres de espana?
(lo siento por mi pereza con respecto a la acentuacion, soy de inglaterra jajaja)

it's a real shame about Nick =(

Jajajajaja

Linda Perhacs, anyone?

Bridget St John - Ask me no questions
youtube.com/watch?v=MFTKe5Awysw

Hello Again (Of Course) is a beautiful track

Can anyone rec some good compilations/series like webm related

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1496988783217.webm

that's pretty awesome, if you mean like sailor music, the only thing I can think of is port isaac's fisherman's friends

bump

Could this become our version of /metal/'s Terminal Redux?

I haven't listened to redux but I'ma listen to this (and maybe redux) and get back to you either this general or the next general. It sounds pretty interesting so far

Well, I meant more in the sense that Terminal Redux has become a meme over on /metal/, and seeing as some people have hyped up Peasant as aoty, it seemed dangerously close to becoming a meme too :P.
But yeah, hope you find it as interesting as I do, it's definitely a pretty unique album nonetheless. I certainly haven't heard anything like it before.

o-oh okay... pls be patient with me I'm dumb
and yeah I do see stuff like that all over the comments of his music videos haha. It's very Beefheart-esque isn't it? It's outsider and dissonant but there are still catchy hooks! I feel like I'm listening to Trout Mask again...

I really need to listen to Terminal Redux too at some point, darn, I have so much to listen to...

can user give us a link to the album so we can DL for free?

Who /AmericanPrimitivism/ here?

I fucking loved Peasant.

People should definitely check out his previous albums.

"Nothing Important" is just two amazing epic freak-folk odysseys bookended by two weird instrumentals.

"Glass Trunk" was the slowest grower to me. It's like, 7 unaccompanied vocal songs, that sound really traditional (but all but one I think are written by Dawson) with a bunch of crazy weird free-improv style pieces with Dawson and Rhodri Davies.

pitchfork.com/thepitch/a-brief-history-of-prog-folk-fleet-foxes/

I'm a pleb, so I just listen to it on Spotify.

What do you guys think of The Pentangle? As much as I like Bert Jansch, his solo stuff left a little to be desired for me, but hearing him work within a group is wonderful. The whole band is really tight, and they seem to show a real reverence to the folk source material that I don't really get from other similar bands like Fairport Convention.

Big fan of their double album Sweet Child. They show a really eclectic mix of interests that range beyond just folk.

It's definitely kinda Beefheart-esque, and both albums actually do give me a feeling of seclusion, like I'm going mad or am lost out in the countryside. I don't know if that makes sense, but it just feels so primitive and... well... outsider.

Ugh I kind of hate that quote about Beethoven.

I mean, they are just doing two different things and they are both great.

But also, fucking saying Beethoven is too long? Have you SEEN some folk ballads? They can have like 50 verses!

But also, the place where classical and folk meet is often bloody gorgeous:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ukp3noJEGdY

I think he meant excessive as in overly complicated; and Tolstoy loved Beethoven. He just meant that it doesn't unify people. I think it's at least a good counter to the "classical is best" people.

Also yeah I agree, Bartok is pretty awesome stuff =)

My god how am I just now hearing this? This is incredible.

Though honestly it's mildly depressing as someone who's recording a shitty folk influenced album right now, knowing I'll never be able to make something this creative and interesting.

I believe in you user

Can anyone recommend traditional-sounding unaccompanied vocal ballads? Kind of like what Mike Waterson does on his self-titled album youtube.com/watch?v=vJNhSsrbuj8 EXCEPT to be honest I fucking hate his vibrato. It actually drives me mad. It just sounds like he's really fucking cold to me.

Seán 'ac Ḋonnċa - An Aill Ḃáin

This is quite nice, but I'm not sure.

I don't know if I'll be able to get into this type of stuff not in English (though there are some English songs).

But also, I feel like although he hasn't got the overbearing vibrato, he kind of wanks around with the notes in a similar sort of way - there's so much ornamentation around the basic melody.

I'll give it more of a listen though.

what does /folk/ think of Van's Astral Weeks?

Are there more albums like Tim Buckley's Lorca? The title track, Driftin' and No Walkin' all make me feel like I'm floating through a void.

nope =(

anyone here familiar with adrianne lenker? thoughts?
youtube.com/watch?v=3mATEy0Avc4

It's simple but good poetry

her lyrics make it like she's rapping in a way, it's nice, very cool