Why does so much avant-garde music come from Japan?

Why does so much avant-garde music come from Japan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2sJxxikKk8Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lots of noise comes from there

bamp

the bomb reaaaaally did a number on em

They're an extremely conformist society and those who do not like that end up becoming extremely non-conformist as a result
Fun fact: Haino is often played on Japanese gameshows in order to make guests uncomfortable

>Fun fact: Haino is often played on Japanese gameshows in order to make guests uncomfortable
hah didn't know that

Do you have any sources for that? It would definitely be an interesting read about something worthwhile in Japanese culture.

because they are fucking weirdos.

for a second I thought it was Heino.
youtube.com/watch?v=2sJxxikKk8Q
I think Heino is more disturbing.

this
captcha: wok

Disturbing? What do you mean?

Japanese people like to make shit as overthetop as possible. It's why we got weird ass anime, game shows and stuff from them, too. Musically this usually appears in noise music and eai where they get to go all out in those realms of music. Otherwise they also combine wildly different genres for more overthetop whacky results as well.

How can anyone even listen to that ?
I legit don't understand.

I mostly listen to industrial an dark ambient all day but harsh noise isnt something i really put on to enjoy. I enjoy alot of noise but not dyson vaccum sounds. However some good harsh noise artists can put out good stuff other than harsh noise.

/thread

Of course a thread with an interesting topic about music is ded on Sup Forums not enough indie flavor of the month and memes I guess. Anyway check out this book " confronting silence" by Toru Takemitsu. He's was a crazy composer who explains why the japanese value silence and natural sounds and weird repeating patterns more than more traditional music.

Anyone remember that time in Black Lagoon where Revy put on Guitar Wolf on the car radio?

Avant-gardists are almost always incredibly prolific, when you look at the bigger picture, you'll notice it's largely an avant-garde clique with rotating members between groups and frequent collaborations with the global scene. Haino and EYE for example have both released upwards of 50 albums (including bands they were in and collaborations) in their approximately 40 year careers.
Many times people don't seem to realize how big Japan really is, they have 127 million people, 30 million in the Tokyo metro alone. When you consider this, it's not that surprising that there's so much avant-garde coming out of it. Consider England, Germany, or France; they're much smaller than Japan but arguably have more avant-garde musicians.

>Consider England, Germany, or France; they're much smaller than Japan but arguably have more avant-garde musicians
what are some good ones?

honestly its because of cicadas for the most part
when you get inundated with this droning insectoid menace every year
it is going to make some intrinsically avant-garde adjustments to a population's hearing conceptions

Peter Brotzmann, all of Rock in Opposition, Keith Rowe, AMM, John Tilbury, Stockhausen, John Cale, all of Krautrock, all of the Berlin School, Ekkehard Ehlers, Hans Reichel, all the original industrial groups and most post industrial ones, Magma, Dave Holland, Brian Eno, Eric Dolphy, Stereolab...
the list could actually go on

because they don't have any talent

not true btw

to busy jerking it in radiohead threads t b h