youtube.com/watch?v=IELmz0UP3vQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk
youtube.com/watch?v=I7w9otyiE9g
youtube.com/watch?v=2TOB2McGSVw
youtube.com/watch?v=3x3g8BGH_io
youtube.com/watch?v=mEzRQYDVD_4
youtube.com/watch?v=B9VIH89musE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When he posts his fleet foxes review, I think everyone that posts in the inevitable thread about it should get range banned.
Imagine how much better the board would get, just like that.

leave melonhead, quit trying to stay relevant. We don't like you here

Salty

That score is too high

didn't he call savage mode not good. but everybody else love it.

anthony doesn't know shit about hip hop or electronic music period.

It's at least a 6, only second to Jeffrey

You dont know shit about hip hop either if you actually think young thug is good

This dude has awful taste. I like his videos from a production and entertainment standpoint and I like him, but his taste is trash.

i know more than you faggot.
youtube.com/watch?v=rHvwgLR17xI

FUCK YOU MELONHEAD GODDAMNIT I HATE THIS FUCKER SO MUCH

>He enjoys that album unironically

young thug is fucking garbage. it astounds me how a board dedicated to the discussion of music could be so full of braindead philistines.

if you actually listen to trap rap you have terrible taste and you should learn how to think about music critically before staining this board with your ignorant hypebeast opinions

It's not an awful album by any means, it's just very underwhelming after we've had Jeffery and Barter 6. Even his mixtapes 1017 thug and the SS-series is better than this R&B-thugger.
At best it's on par with "I'm Up" I guess.

Young Thug is by far the most innovative and unique trap artist out right now. What's your problem?

>innovative and unique trap
lol
>kick-snare-fast hi-hats-kick-snare-fast hi-hats
>sub bass
>simplistic 3-5 note repeated melodic motif
>autotuned voice talking about stupid vapid shit
>repeat ad-infinitum

there's no such thing as innovative trap. it's the most formulaic genre in existence.

>there's no such thing as innovative trap
youtube.com/watch?v=iDdd746LEGU

lmao is this guy serious though?

I read this guy went missing last week, did he ever show up?

>trying to prove an artist is not innovative by criticising his producers

maybe you should focus on thugger for the sake of your argument?

dead

>he's innovative because he pays other people to make his shitty music for him and all he does is mumble like an illiterate moron over the top
you really aren't helping your case here user

he doesn't pay them shit. they pay him

irrelevant

He's a vocalist. An innovative vocalist, not producer. He got great melodies, great vocal range and brings something new and unpredictable every time.
He's the greatest rapper alive and I just proved it.

If you don't understand what he's saying you're just stupid.

jayson greene's write up on thug actually explains the appeal of him pretty well

>An innovative vocalist
how is he innovative?
>He got great melodies
show me an example
>great vocal range
autotune tends to expand your vocal range
>brings something new and unpredictable every time
again, what is new or unpredictable about what he does?
>He's the greatest rapper alive and I just proved it
how has this post proved anything

>If you don't understand what he's saying you're just stupid.
yeah i guess bitches drugs and money is just 2deep4me

what are you, black?.

thebookofthug.com/
check this out, virgin

>>>localhitradiostation

>Young Thug is better than Kendrick, Kanye, Jay-z, Emiem...

Yeah you're fucking retarded

Young Thug is the greatest musician alive. You could even say he's the Frank Zappa of our generation. He is not just another manufactured rap star, he is a complete artist. He is not someone that is being controlled by a record label. Thugger is singlehandedly one of the most innovative and unique rap artists of this decade.

He is a melodic genius, his beats are experimental, innovative, unique, he isn't afraid to experiment, he is constantly evolving and changing his style. Young Thug, from the beginning, has always pushed boundaries and has continued to make progressive music that others could only hope to imitate.

His voice is an instrument. He wants you to look beyond just the lyrics. They are there just to complement the music, they are an application of the voice as an instrument rather than a medium for verbal communication and storytelling. His voice and his sounds are something that no one else is doing. Young Thug obviously isn't a Kendrick/Drake type of rapper with outstanding rapping ability but he still manages to make better music than them.

His mixtape, Barter 6, is an extremely introspective and personal record. It allows you to better understand the perspective and emotions of Jeffrey Lamar Williams. The mixtape has become a bridge for white youth to enjoy the art of the black inner city and empathize with the likes of Thugger and that is what is so wonderful about art. We are able to see who he really is and understand him. The introductory interview at The Fader Ford shows that he is a surprisingly soft-spoken young man and it gives you all the more reason to care about him.

There was no Young Thug before Young Thug. He is not emulating anyone, he isn't trying to be anyone. He has no influences. When Check came out of nowhere, everyone loved it because nothing sounded like it.

He has accomplished so much at such a young age, can you imagine what his music is going to sound like in 5 years?

>musician
as a musician this is offensive

The fact that you wasted your time writing a fucking paragraph praising a guy who is as mediocre as it gets for the hip hop scene says a lot.

You sound like every 23 year old white girl who has never heard any other rapper other than young thug, wacka, g eazy, machine gun kelly, 2 chainz, and lil dicky.

It's pretty moldy pasta my man.
>as mediocre as it gets for the hip hop scene
Sounds more like new Future or travis more than thug

if you hyper-analyzed anything you could make it look complex. all he has done here is put all of his music into musical notation (something you could do for any artist) and then he concedes that "some things you just have to feel."

This
For pitchfork as well

>desperately trying to polish dogshit until it shines
you sound like a grimesfag

>how is he innovative?
Literally no one in the scene sounds like him. And he continually switches up his delivery. How is that not innovative?

>show me an example
youtube.com/watch?v=IELmz0UP3vQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk

>autotune tends to expand your vocal range
autotune is just pitch-correction and has nothing to do with vocal range

>again, what is new or unpredictable about what he does?
his delivery and way to conduct himself over the beat, you never know which turn he will take or what will happen next. it's not your typical, predictable boom-bap flow or even your typical trap flow.

>yeah i guess bitches drugs and money is just 2deep4me
obviously i was referring to your ignorant comment about him being a mumbling, illiterate moron.

>Mumbles bitch, blood, and gucci an excruciating amount of times
>Example of good melodies

Fuck outta here

>Young Thug stays within the key of the song, almost never landing on non-harmonic tones
wow. it's almost as if he's using a computer program that automatically alters the tune of his voice so that it always fits within the key of the song...

I mean let's keep it a G, it was interesting but not necessarily great.

2Chainz was great. Brockhampton, great. Even SZA and H.E.R. were pretty good.

EBBTG was just....interesting.

>innovative vocalist & great melodies

youtube.com/watch?v=I7w9otyiE9g

youtube.com/watch?v=2TOB2McGSVw

Listen through these 2 songs at least and tell me he doesn't fit his voice to the instrumental perfectly, he's unpredictable because you don't know what he'll do with his voice next instead of just simply rapping. Not to mention his flow is underrated.

>actually liking rap

>he doesn't fit his voice to the instrumental perfectly
see

Sorry but I think you're confusing melody with lyrics.

I'm referring to the way he uses his voice in his vocal inflections. Like it or not, he yelps, croons, shouts, sings, straight raps and everything in between but makes it work; he makes it catchy. His voice is an instrument.

>all these people defending him because he has good vocal melodies
HE USES AUTOTUNE ON EVERY SONG for fuck's sake do you know what autotune is? you set the filter to a certain key and then any noise you make is automatically altered to fit the key of the song. i could literally fart into a microphone and make the same melodies as thug if i'm using autotune.

>it's almost as if music taste is subjective and different people like different things.

>he yelps, croons, shouts, sings, straight raps and everything in between
put someone with tourettes in front of an autotuned microphone and you'll get the same effect. he isn't talented or unique. he's just exploiting the technology that you're all too dumb to understand

So what you're saying is that the autotune as a tool is what makes the song good. Not what the artist does with the tool?
Sorry but that's like saying that electronic music got no soul because it's not made of "real" instruments.

He doesn't use autotune on every. single. song. that's Future lmao. Also coming up with melodies in the first place is all Thug, autotune is pitch correction.

>he believes that auto-tune makes melodies
is this b8?

>he's just exploiting the technology
how is it exploitation? you're really sounding like a lewronggeneration type right now

It's comforting to know that no 2017 rap album will possibly be worse than Painting Pictures.

>Young Thug
>not unique

Pick one. The way he uses his voice is unique; interesting to listen to. Of course anyone can make weird noises into a microphone but thugger actually has a hold on creating melodies and catchy hooks. He pushes the envelope in terms of what rap is much like Future.

Well he's partially correct. A producer is playing the melody on a keyboard, which corrects the notes being sung to correspond to what is being played on the keyboard.

>electronic music got no soul because it's not made of "real" instruments.
This is correct though

This. Though everyone is arguing over thug in the thread kodak black is literally the worst rapper of this generation and the next one, he has no redeeming qualities. Nobody on the XXL 2017 Freshman List is worse than him and this year is trash.

autotune isn't a tool. it's a crutch. it does all the work for you. learn how it works user. you don't have to even be remotely within the key of the song or any key whatsoever. you could be talking. it takes the audio and pitches it into the 7 tones which fit within the key of the song. you don't have to come up with melodies when you're using autotune. autotune comes up with melodies for you.

everyone says his delivery is random and unpredictable. wanna know why? it's because he just hawks random shit into the mic regardless of how good it sounds and then autotune makes it sound good.

what he's doing is essentially the same thing as when you put a piece of paper over an indented design and then scratch with a pencil over the top and the design transfers through. it doesn't matter how you scratch with the pencil. the design will always look good.

>there are honestly people on Sup Forums that don't even get Young Thug
>Sup Forums is full of dadrockers and backpackers straight outta youtube comment sections

>this is correct though

all the summerfags took this bait hook line and sinker.

gucci is the real genius.

A producer is playing the melody on a keyboard, which corrects the notes being sung to correspond to what is being played on the keyboard.

that's not even true though. autotune takes all seven notes within the scale of the key of the song and then sorts every tone that is inputted and pitches it to resemble the closest possible note within the scale. if the song is in the key of G major and he sings in C# then autotune will correct that pitch to C or D because those are the closest tones within the G major scale. it doesn't follow a preset melody. it just rearranges the melody so it fits within the scale.

>hawks random shit into the mic regardless of how good it sounds

youtube.com/watch?v=3x3g8BGH_io
youtube.com/watch?v=mEzRQYDVD_4

>what is melody

How does one get into Thugger?

>not understanding the entire point of that post
i'm saying that he says random shit and then autotune makes the melody for him.
seetry educating yourself on what you're trying to argue about before spouting ignorant shit like this

>try educating yourself on what you're trying to argue about before spouting ignorant shit like this

You're the one claiming Young Thug says random shit and autotune makes the melody for him. You cannot seriously listen to one of his songs and tell me he doesn't come up with his own melodies, that he doesn't have the intent to try and sing behind the autotune you keep referring to that he doesn't even use in every song. He's not T-Pain.

>haha dadrock is so bad guys amirite?
>i sure don't want to be pinned as a lewrongenerationer so i'd better eat this steaming pile of shit that corporate publications are shilling as being innovative and cutting edge
>that way i'll seem open-minded and hip

if there's one current trap rapper that isn't getting shilled very hard it's probably thug ironically
he's popular with """""normies""""" but he doesn't have many crossover hits anymore and atlantic doesn't seem to give much of a shit about pushing him

>hahah dadrock is so good guys amirite?
>i sure don't want to be pinned as a lerightgenerationer so I'd better eat this steaming pile of arena rock shit that corporate publications are shilling as being influential and great
>that way I'll seem smart and knowledgeable

Young Thug is shit. Trap rap is shit. The majority of modern hip-hop is shit. You guys are a bunch of sensationalist half-wits. Go back to p4k with this hype-beast herd mentality.

>We

all i'm saying is that the majority of those dadrockers were WAY more talented and musically literate than young thug. like what you like and dislike what you dislike, but stop trying to say young thug is some musical genius. Practically anyone could do what he does with the right team of producers and studio equipment

lil pump > dadrock

this

>opinion (shit opinion)

Please show us anyone who sounds like thug then? There's a lot of rappers who work with the same producers and in the same studios.
Nobody is close to sounding like him.

Have you listened to a full project by him?

>shit opinion
nah

hey man disco existed lol

>Please show us anyone who sounds like thug then?
future, kodak black, migos, lil uzi vert, etc.

SahBabii is the closest
youtube.com/watch?v=B9VIH89musE

His debut album is like prime Young Thug

Sorry. You're out of your element. The only one you named that almost could qualify would be Future.

>if you actually listen to trap rap you have terrible taste and you should learn how to think about music critically before staining this board with your ignorant hypebeast opinions
Holy shit this.

This thread is giving me stage 4 cancer. Young Thug is a decent artist, has some fun songs, but isn't very good at making albums.

Trap rap is not a garbage genre of music. Yes, it's probably one of the most easily accessible genres of music for both consumer and artist. Yes it is bloated and way too popular right now. But if you can't roll down the windows and ride around listening to a trap banger and not feel good, you're probably very boring so fuck you.

it's summer and a lot of underage people browse Sup Forums

get ready for a lot of trap music being posted in the next few months

traffic doesn't dramatically go up in the summer moot proved this
lots of trap is always getting posted here now

moot lied

trap is garbage

kill yourself

>migos
Kek

Ya he sounds like a mixture between 21 and Thugger

fantano here, ill be giving the new bones album 8/10

screencap this

This

Mods should ban discussion of vapid shit like young thug. This board needs a cleansing.

>there are people browsing this board who unironically like trap rap
don't you all have kardashians to be keeping up with?

if you really are going to correlate listening to a specific genre of music that happens to be popular with general consumption of popular culture you really should reevaluate how you view music. People listen to genres music for different reasons. Most people, including myself, aren't listening to trap rap for an enlightening experience or because it's complex and layered.

If people want to listen to a banger cause it's a fun banger then fucking let em jesus.

>If people want to listen to a banger cause it's a fun banger then fucking let em jesus.
you're right. i'm not in any position to tell you what music you're allowed to enjoy listening to. it just triggers me when hypetards say shit like if you like him, then by all means, bump that shit in the whip. i just wish people would stop being so pretentious about it when in reality it's a very surface-level style of music.

>kpop thread alive at all time
>several threads about top 20 pop