What do you think about rabbits?

What do you think about rabbits?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q2o7XVVTmUE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're cute

They're basically food for everything, life probably sucks.

I have two of them. Theyre great pets, if you dont want to play with them, and just look at them as they play. Not like dogs or even cats, at all.

massively overpopulated and thus considered varmints in my state and thus make excellent target practice

Rabbits r gud

I've got baby rabbits in my backyard right now.

Once I had my rabbits nuts knocked off he became my favorite pet. So cute!

I'd fug the bun

The idiots in your state wiped out the natural predators. Your own redneck fault for thinking you're smarter than God, dipshit.

what a cheeky little cunt

good to eat
sure, i guess
and, you can eat them
yeah, gud for eating
you should totally get your gnosh on
now that's just cruel

My dog loves how their skulls sound when he crunches them.

I haven't had rabbit before but I'm sure it tastes great.

I like to eat them

allergic to living ones, but quite fond of cooked ones

Overrated rats

ITT: fat fucks

I love them, they're awesome!

awesome for stew

We raise meat rabbits.

They're a small cash portion of the farm. But they're incredibly easy to take care of, they're an easy animal in terms of husbandry and overall care. And thus they're great a great division of the farm for the kids.

agile

smart

I don't know if I ever thought about rabbits at all until now. Thanks a lot, you fucked up my perfect record.

That is a hare fagot. Also, rabbits are nice but rude, they fucking chew everything

How profitable are they for you?

This is now a Judy thread

no it's not, you absolute faggot. It's a desert cottontail

IDK WHAT DO I THINK OF WABBITS

For the investment and outlay, they're pretty god damn profitable.

Our rabbits are fed heavily on green hay, receive supplemental grain feed with nutrients at will, but it amounts to under 10% of their calories.

Rabbits are in heat 19-20 out of 24 days. We keep breeding records as a requirement of the state, but in 12 years they've never been audited. All we get when the inspector comes through is "keeping records?" "yes" "ok"

We can sell rabbits wholesale at $1.40-$1.60/lb live, at 5lbs average weight that amounts to $7/rabbit.

We sell produce and meat direct to a lot of restaurants in the near city, and the ritzy places will pay $8-10/lb dressed, with the average dressed rabbit weighing 2.25-2.75lbs.

The company that will buy wholesale only sells frozen rabbits, and that's all you can get here in the restaurant industry. So the chefs LOVE that they can get fresh rabbit from us and they pay up without batting an eye.

It takes about 3 minutes to dress each of the rabbits and put them in to chill, then another 15 minutes doing the packaging. We average 15-20 rabbits every harvest, and harvest as demand dictates.

As we're the only fresh supplier in the area I don't produce enough to meet all the demand there is between individual buyers, retail, and restaurant demands.

I haven't been involved with the accounting on the rabbits since I passed that responsibility off to the son to manage to get him trained on management. But we were averaging between 20-25k a year in gross sales with around 3K in real expenses not including labor and overhead.

Holy shit, awesome reply.

Is it a hard business to run?

This.

Irresponsible growth in our area is starting to make rabbits vermin. The coyotes used to get em but not anymore. The coyotes were probably animal control'd and now the rabbits do what they like. I'm concerned about ticks/fleas/mites/etc.

All for some dirty tax dollars. Fuck em.

>Is it a hard business to run?
within the scope of our farm, No, absolutely not. We only started raising rabbits to help the kids learn to help around the farm. That part of our business is purely incidental to the whole operation and is ran with extremely limited oversight from myself, my brothers, uncles, or dad.

It's pretty much the kids' responsibility to run.

If you were to try and start a rabbit meat business it might be a little daunting without the networking in place to move your product. But it's very doable.

You need a minimal amount of land and space to raise them which makes them an ideal starting animal to get into raising meat.

Get in contact with the extension office for your area and talk to them and see if they can put you in contact with anyone who raises rabbits near you. Go out and have a chat.

I'm dead serious. GO OUT AND HAVE A CHAT. Farmers are the nicest people you'll meet and you might form a lifelong relationship with them. unlike any other business or industry a farmer is going to freely tell you everything he knows and will be willing to help you and advise you along the way.

Secondly, find a buyer. Your processor will definately buy your live rabbits. You won't make as much starting out but you'll get income for the effort. Once you start having reliable production you can start going out to the restaurants and talking with the chefs.

Most resaurants will not be regular customers since they'll usually only run the dish for a week or two or three during the menu cycle. But you may be lucky and find a stable buyer. ALWAYS talk to the french restaurants first. they're your best buyers.

In addition to the restaurants, talk to local butchers and meat shops. they won't buy at the market price, but they'll usually take whatever you offer

In addition to that, sell direct to the buyer. Put an ad in the newspaper and your phone will ring off the hook well past the ad expiration date.

Could i make a living on it?

One of the most important group of species of the food chain. Eat a lot of vegetation, get eaten and transfer that energy to animals like us.
Also cute and cool animals.

>Could i make a living on it?
It really depends on a lot of factors. I can't say for sure one way or the other.

Market demand is the biggest factor. If you live in or near a populated city with a decent restaurant industry you could probably make all right money selling direct to the industry and individuals. After those sales the butchers and meat shops are the next most profitable. I don't sell to them because they'll pay about $5/lb instead of the 8-10/lb direct. But it is an option. After that you have the distributor fallback buying wholesale at $1.50/lb live.
>restaurants/direct = $20-25 per animal
>butcher = $10-15
>distributor = $7

The other big factor is feed. The more you can feed them on fresh green hay the cheaper your expenses. Find a person with an acreage and convince them to let you set aside a portion for hay. You can harvest as simply and cheaply as using a scythe and a rake and a tarp or two.

The really good thing about rabbits is that as a meat animal they're relatively resistant to disease and pathogenesis as long as you keep them in individual cages and a minimum of 30 inches off of the ground. and regularly sweep under their cages. This resiliency further reduces overhead compared to other meat animals like birds goats pigs and cows.

Thx. Ive kind of always wanted to get into farming but never thought it was possible.

I read a book called "gods dog" by Hope something. Great book and it details exactly what you described. They wiped out coyotes and rats and shit destroyed all the crops. Happened in Oregon I think. Maybe Wyoming. Good book. Check it out.

I like them, but they are really just giant rats with big ears. They are disgusting .

>Ive kind of always wanted to get into farming
It's doable and if you set your mind to it you can do it.

Again, check with your extension office and talk to them. They have mentors for everything. If you find a person raising rabbits definitely seek them out and talk to them. If they're a multi-layered operation then definitely offer to help as an apprentice on the weekends or something. They'll take the help and you get to learn on teh job so-to-speak.

When it comes to farming it's all about layers. Layers on layers.

Our farming operation is 500 acres and we're 4 times more profitable than operations 4 times our size.

Dad and his brothers were and are always looking for ways to squeeze every last dollar out of the operation as possible. It's all about thinking.

When you're starting out then err on the side of spending time and not money.

For example with the rabbits' hay. Harvesting hay with a scythe and rake is sure a lot slower than a piece of equipment can do it. But the scythe and rake are dirt cheap and can be found hanging up in a shed. The equipment costs money. Buy spending time you're not paying down loans and interest, you're just paying that expense with time. Time you have, money you don't.

Cutie

Cute but delicious.
It's a real conundrum.

Based user.

Where are you? Can I come work under you?

They rape cats

Nebraska, Yes. If you're not from the area we have some farmhand bunks. We can talk about pay, $4/hr-ish, 3 squares and room. Hours are 4am-6pm.

Dead serious.

So, slavery

I want to fuck the rabbit

Underrated filename, kek

>So, slavery
Welcome to the reality of your food industry as brought to you by Walmart and company.

As we're a farm operation with less than 7 employees we're not subject to the FLSA and the minimum wage provisions. On the other side of that we have a bunk house I can kick the teens out of that you'd have all to yourself of no charge. No utilities, no rent, and no food expenses.

We've had apprentices come through and leave much better off financially than they were before. My brother's friend just left last year after 2 years and had enough squirreled away to buy his own little small plot of land. He's local to us and we're letting him take advantage of our network to sell his shit through us with no fees for four years to help him get off his feet.

I mean, rats can be good pets

Rabbits run fast, jump high, and steal shit, basiclly niggers of the animal world if they wernt monkeys already.

personally? not too much. i've had a couple as pets. ate a few. not the pets, but wild. tasted not bad.
fur is soft, chicks like them.
oh yeah, they bite if you're not careful

>fur is soft, chicks like them.

This. I had one and it died almost 4 years ago and my GF still won't shut up about missing him.

I wasn't the guy we're talking to, just trying to be funny about the slavery thing. I get it. Small profit margins and whatnot. Free food and rent with some cash is Not a bad deal for a young dude who is traveling around. Good place to crash and pick up some cash.

Terrifying creatures they are.

user are your rabbits handled frequently?

Shit! i'm from Omaha!

I dunno about hours like that though.

Yes. The kids love them to death. From the day they're old enough to handle they're being mauled and loved. Compared to typical rabbit operations ours are pretty tame and don't really run from the 'evil approaching hand' reaching into their cage.

That's pretty much us. if you went into the rabbit meat thing you'd be competing against four decent operations in the area. There's plenty of demand to go around. Especially if you layer your operation.

ask him youtube.com/watch?v=q2o7XVVTmUE

I think that rabbits are the perfect animal to survive in the wilderness. Capture several using live traps, and then breed them for meat and fur. Plus you could keep a couple as pets since they're adorable.

Back when I used to go hunting with my grandpa, we'd catch the little buggers, then put a stick on their neck, hold it down with our feet, then pull and snap their neck. I loved doing that.

tasty

Back when I was like 6 years old, I accidentally pulled my friend's rabbit's tail off. Apparently, the things come off really easily.

Anyway, I'm 34 now and this friend's brother lives near me. Every fucking time he sees me on the street he yells "hey, that's the dude who pulled my rabbit's tail off!". It was nearly 30 goddamn years ago and it was an accident. Dafuq is wrong with this dude? I might beat his ass next time he does it.

Don't raise wild rabbits for meat. it's a shitty worthless gamey meat that doesn't have much mass dressed out

There are better breeds that have been bred for meat production.

I'd blast the long eared galoots!

LMFAO

Nice thanks for the information.