ITT: mediocre movies popular culture has decided are masterpieces

I'll start.

You start OP.

I got you covered, though.

The Shawshank Redemption

Mad Max: Fury Road
I mean, it's structured well and was without many of the postmodern-cinematic narrative clichés practiced today -- but nonetheless, it's nothing new or astoundingly transcending.

b-but my waifu

Tarantino's early movies.

I'd say the directing is average and the editing pretty flat but the acting is 10/10 from most of the people in it.

Yes.

I agree. How to Steal a Million was a better vehicle.

Probably because of the book, although it's lacking so many things it's ridiculous.

This movie is good though. Definitely not a masterpiece (and nobody says that) but it is good cinema.

From a literary standpoint the book is worse than the movie. TKAM is the shining, undefeatable example of political correctness in schools. It's absolute trash literarilly.

Psycho

Casablanca

Blade Runner

It's a 5/10 movie but watch as a bunch of spergs try telling me I'm wrong and it is better than it actually is

I hate that nearly all the movies she is in are shit. My bae deserved so much better.

>cinema
it's a movie

>spergs try telling me I'm wrong and it is better than it actually is
The movie has plenty of underlying meaning and symbolism, but there's no reason to care about any of the characters.

>but there's no reason to care about any of the characters.

Take it back!

The ultimate retard detector

This so fucking much. But idiots who fall for
>muh Ridley Scott visuals
are blinded to the reality of how bad this turd really is.

>people complaining about blade runner
>"muh visuals"
>"no reason to care about the characters"
>movie

every fucking time. pretty much the ultimate pleb and/or underage filter.

all that's left is some retard wandering in and crying about how the story is simple and unengaging or some stupid faggotry

>I like Blade Runner
>look at how different I am than all the other dipshits. I truly understand cinema

My fucking sides at this dissonance

Mickey Rourke?

Has there ever been a more condescending film?

> Henry Fonda: Yes, I can make this point within the space of 30 seconds, but it would be better to drag it out for 10 minutes
> Plebs: OMG, did you see they made a feature length movie set entirely in one room?

eh, you could make arguments that it's not GOAT, but it's at least a 4 out of 5 film unless you're being blatantly contrarian

This. Mood and atmosphere are not an acceptable replacement for content.

Fucking HATED this meme movie.

It's 6/10 at best.

Not that it was bad or otherwise not good, just utterly forgettable.

fuck off
its fun

I actually feel the same. It wasn't bad, but I didn't find it special.

Scarface is my nomination

Congrats on making it all the way through your first black and white movie

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Departed (Hollywood)

Scarface is pretty good, but I don't think the consensus is that it is any sort of masterpiece.

It also aged terribly.

Agreed. Eastwoods westerns in general are highly overrated.

My favorite western is Rio Bravo

just rewatched it last month

still great

Nah, this one actually is good. A fuckload is picked up on multiple viewings. You gotta read through the lines

Scarface

This holy shit

Every copy i've ever seen, even the blu ray looks like it was taken from garbage film stock. They have this awful low res hi-8 video tape glow that makes the film look cheap as fuck.

Blade Runner is genius in a way how a companion piece of a book can be so different thematically, yet somehow capture the atmosphere.

Pro-tip: "Do Androids Dream" wasn't about le what makes humans human meme

Josey Wales is easily his best, but the Dollars trilogy is pretty overrated.

>Not watching the ultimate cut
watch that version senpai

no. maybe overrated, but still a great movie

>It also aged terribly
how so? i think it holds up in every aspect of film making

A lot of courtroom dramas seem like overrated tripe. The only one I've seen that I'd hold up as legitimately great is Anatomy of a Murder, because it's not holding up lawyers as some kind of ridiculous paragons of virtue or dealing in black and white morality of a clearly innocent client who's set to be imprisoned for what he clearly didn't do.

What is it about one of the scummiest professions on Earth that seems to attract so many lame stories portraying them as icons of heroism and morality?

Should've posted the original Ghostbusters, it's complete shit. And on the topic of 80's comedies, The Princess Bride too.

I only saw Psycho for the first time a few days ago, Anthony Perkins was great but it's altogether average.

STAR WARS.
plot is pretty simple and visuals suck (for present age). if i was born in 1980s, pretty sure would have loved it. But now you can't say anything negative because everybody would gang up on you.
also, R2D2 sucks.

Wake up! Time to die!

Faggot

>Sergio Leone
>overrated
This better be bait.

Il gattopardo

Instantly thought of this movie when I saw the thread.

I like the way it's a film about conflicting personalities and calm logic and reason overcoming emotion, ignorance etc etc

But tge characters themselves are so fucking basic (foreign guy, racist guy) and the accused must have had absolutely the worst fucking lawyer in all of history for him to not have brought up ANY of the multitude of shit that Fonda brings up the rest of the film.

Once upon a time films are great.
tGtBatU is overrated.

>The Princess Bride

This. It was awful.

good one.
people are kind of forgetting about these already
I can stand for calling it overrated but it's anything but mediocre, whether you love it or hate it it's quite unique

>What is it about one of the scummiest professions on Earth that seems to attract so many lame stories portraying them as icons of heroism and morality?

>falling for a cliche while harping on others.

Tyranny's are always sans defense attorneys with any real power, there is a reason for that. A lot of the freedoms and civil liberties we have in America at least only exist because of defense attorneys and their defense oriented interpretation of the law.

Agreed, but it's hardly known in "popular culture"

You're allowed to criticise Star Wars if you bring valid points, but you brought up two of the stupidest arguments you possibly can.

This piece of shit.

covetous jew detected

This.
>visuals suck by modern standards
Fuck off.

It was made in 1968. Still one the greatest visuals I've seen and I likehow the movie separated humanity from science, unlike most sci-fi movies nowadays

They should have made the first 5 minutes into a short and concluded it with the final scene of him finding the scrapbook, because everything in between wasn't on the same level.

pulp fiction

>all these idiots simply naming movies they don't like

Here's how it's done, idiots: STAR WARS.

Try having a nation where the only recourse of justice is a punitive interp my friend it doesn't work.

Also Maurice was only as bad as the people he worked for.

I don't think it's terrible but I only recently saw how fucking adored and quoted it is by everyone and i just don't see why

Jesus Christ this, FUCK Star Wars.
It drags on for so fucking long.
The movies just meander around, A New Hope does at least.

I don't see what the big deal about ESB is either, it's so forgettable to me.

>I didn't read the thread before I posted

My sister made me watch it and I had to pretend to laugh all the way through. The jokes are so obvious.

>"I'll show them how it's done!"
>proceeds to post a film that's already been mentioned several times

>the movie separated humanity from science
How do you mean?

look I understand you think that the legal system is based in virtue, and it was created that way, but it's essentially bastardized itself into who can better manipulate the facts to a jury. It doesn't matter who's innocent anymore, the verdict is so heavily influenced by who is more cashed up it's essentially meaningless now

>Rio Bravo

john wayne is shit

i like this movie, but tbqh you're entirely right

>Nu male fuccboi doesn't like the Duke
Surprise, surprise

I'm sure someone told me at one point it was a story about an old man telling his grandson a sissy bedtime story but forgetting parts and making up things along the way.

Instead the part about Colombo telling his grandkid a story is completely irrelevant and could be removed entirely.

A clockwork orange

People always bring this up about Up because the quality drop off is the most obvious, but I think it's also a pretty good criticism for the majority of Disney/Pixar films, most of them are filler, song filler, side character filler, toy advertising filler, comic relief filler, filler everywhere. The majority of them have a message and an arch you can see coming within the first few minutes.

I can understand kids still being impressed by them they're primary kids films after all, but when adults say so I immediately write them off as retarded.

wrong

Vertigo is the most overrated flick in history, you can't top this.

Clint>wayne
faggot

>overrated
>bombed upon release
>forgotten for decades before being rediscovered by critics
Yeah no. You might not like it but it is well deserving of it's reputation.

>Instead the part about Colombo telling his grandkid a story is completely irrelevant and could be removed entirely.
What the fuck was the point of that? It seemed like a lazy attempt to make the movie "heartfelt" and family appropriate, even though there was nothing inappropriate about the movie.

No, A Clockwork Orange is fantastic.
Simple, but fantastic.

It doesn't tell you how to feel, all it does is show you, and very little music.

Kinda hard to explain. I think it has something to do with the tone of the film.

Ghostbusters (1984)
I tried rewatching it for the first time in maybe a decade, but it just wasn't funny. Some of the dry humor hits well, but other stuff just feels flat and kinda akward. Everything in terms of cinemotgraphy and editing were fine (some stuff was excellant imo) but in terms of being a comedy it just wasn't very funny.
Also Bill Murray's character is kind of an obnoxious sexist asshole, but not in like a funny haha way, like an annoying way. maybe im just a liberal fuck idk

But that's A masterpiece that popular culture has decided is a mediocre movie

I found this to be completely forgettable compared to other early Brando flicks.

retards

>Those non professional actors faces
>Those locations
>That Elia Kazan cinematography
No, you're just a pleb with bad taste in movies

>no reason to care about any of the characters
is there ever though? i don't get this identifying with characters shit.

I'd rewatch it to see what you mean, but I hated it and rather not get myself angry again.

You mistyped patricians user, the word you were looking for was patricians.