Die Antwoord

Did they really come from poverty or did they invent these egos and sell them?

youtube.com/watch?v=3ifCy8wmv04

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J16DDeyDwPU
youtube.com/watch?v=sgJB7DrX6qQ&t=4561s
youtube.com/watch?v=kOHcBoreywk
youtube.com/watch?v=CYQJqLMKu6g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

who cares lol

> South Africa
/thread

i dont know why but this is the best answer

Who else is this one of their fav bands?

I'm South African and they definetly give off that poor white person vibe. Not to be racist or anything but you don't talk or act like this normally if you live the average middle class lifestyle.

its an act. theyre privileged white art school kids. if you look at their work/ pics of them before die antwoord you can see its all showmanship

yolandi parents had some middle class money. nina was white trash. rest is history. ninja is a brilliant performance artists

it's well known that they are pushing forced personalities

only yolandi. ninja was that older dude who hanged out with high schoolers

is this real

their tats are fake?

no its from a previous version of themselves.

Yea Ninja is only cool because he's got Yolandi on his side. That being said if she sees something in him there might be something in him.

youtube.com/watch?v=J16DDeyDwPU

My argument is even if you are a artschool hipster you can still come from complete poverty.

I know because it's what I am.

I have no idea of the context but that looks more like performance art than them in all the tattoos and shit

Sort of, Yolandi was pretty well off but Ninja not so much.

It's from their previous art project.

youtube.com/watch?v=sgJB7DrX6qQ&t=4561s

Does anyone here like them?

Their previous project yes. Ziggurat reissue when?

Waddy Tudor Jones is one of my favorite artists. Die Antwoord is a pretty good pronect but Tension is the only album I listen to front to back from that iteration.

underrated

They were better before they added the .TV, Songs from the Mall is the superior MaxNormal project

I don't know their economic class, but they're definitely not redneck trailer trash like how they present themselves. Ninja has had a number of other personas, he's a well established comedy rapper. I know at least one of his previous personas was was a business man. Before Die Antwoord he honestly came across as a hipster. Die Antwoord is as much performance art as it is comedy rap.

I don't think I'd tag him as a comedy rapper but his sense of humor does play a pretty big part in his art. They aren't trailer trash but Waddy was working class and put himself through college, Yolandi came from some money but I don't think she was anything above middle class. They were never rich kids posing as hood rats because their connections to the scene were always genuine.

they're artists of course they're not from totally shit conditions. it's like the saying it takes a village to raise a child. art represents the feminine side of humanity.

Die Antwoord is an art project.

can someone explain what this user thinks their saying?

ppl who get into performance art. don't grow up in the streets begging for food.

explain this picture then, is it hardcore enough for you?

Worth noting that this wasn't a "natural" picture of them either, it was from another role they were playing.

They've gone harder into Die Antwoord than any act before, probably due to how successful it is, but WTJ especially has been adopting personas for his projects for a LONG time. Earliest stuff of his, not too heavy of persona-adopting, shows him as someone who's genuinely involved in the underground rap scene in Johannesburg.

Die Antwoord's an act and they do have a background as artists, yes. But it's not like they ever *really* tried to pretend otherwise. They do partially drop the veil sometimes and make mention of that.

Constructus Corporation is unarguably the best Watkin Tudor Jones project.

>people saying the entirety of die antwoord is just a performance art project that kept going on because they were making money
do they have any official statement on this?
like what the fuck was the purpose? if you're not absolute trash why would you want to pretend to be absolute lower-class zef trash for such an extended period of time? is there some meaning or message or purpose besides making money and putting on a show? how do they do it?
so confusing

i only started posting because that guy in the other thread was acting like a white middle aged lady like "oh my god did you hear grimes is doing drugs she probably gets it from that ninja guy"

do they even like the music they produce?
how attached are they to their "fake personalities"?
I'm just amazed someone could put on such a facade for such a long time. I would feel so dishonest and exhausted. Surely they must enjoy it

I believe Die Antwoord is just an act. They had a project before that I think was some kind of crazy businessman giving motivational speeches stuff? It was a weird idea but apparently pretty good. I think they came from a less than fantastic background, but not absolute rock bottom. Sort of lower working class is what I'd say in the UK. But in answer to your question, yes Die Antwoord did invent and sell the egos.

>/m/iddleschool

It was probably just a whim when it started, Watty's done multiple things just like that and they usually burn out fast. Then Enter The Ninja blew up, people tracked down DA, they got big and decided to run with it. It ended up being a richer thing to explore than I'd have thought, it seems like they're burning out on it now but I don't blame them for sticking with it while they could.
WTJ and Yonlandi seem to REALLY like playing characters, yeah. Check out the children's show they used to do some time.

Die Antwoord was originally intended to be a film however they didn't have the means to do that and were really enjoying the music that they were coming up with f9r the project so switched focus to that. The characters are meant to portray the cartoonish "ghetto-chique" that gets marketed in direct contrast to a world that is dealing with actual poverty in the west.
They do like their music and a lot of other people do because for as much as it is dumb fun there is an overt display of knowledge in who they sample amd various lyrical references that they make.
It has been mentioned that there would only be one more Die Antwoord album and that Waddy has already put thought into what the next project is. I hope to Gid that the movie gets made though because I've heard it might connect all of his projects so far and that would be sick.

I wish Waddy would make more good music instead of this zef garbage. Doesn't he have enough money now? If not, at least there's a larger audience now.

This.

Moon Love//Scum Deluxe are both great youtube.com/watch?v=kOHcBoreywk

and so is You Saw Me
youtube.com/watch?v=CYQJqLMKu6g

but they could. in theory.

>Check out the children's show they used to do some time.
Do you have a link to this or anything?

no they couldn't it's not realistic for truly poor people to do anything but have a child and try to pass on their ability

As tech and rhe internet get more accessible it's probably gonna get more likely though.

i mean hip hop is already that tbqh. but on the level of DA is doing. maybe so but i doubt it.
tho i dislike how some ppl think ninja is making "shit" music on purpose. he enjoys making his rave pop stuff. respect the artist. hes made tons of stuff for "serious" listeners and has moved on.

This please

True, but my point still stands that Maxnormal > Maxnormal.tv