Why is Dad rock seeing a resurgence on TV shows/Movies?

>Just recently watched 3 long TV promos and commercials with dad rock music(Led Zep,Queen)
>Thor Ragnarok will have a dad rock theme sound track
>Guardian of the Galaxy soundtrack outselling everything else.

Is this a fad or are we seeing a resurgence of Dad Rock in pop culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8hYlB38asDY
youtube.com/watch?v=L0bD4ts8eWY
youtube.com/watch?v=P-wGG8vYbZU
youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZyQK6kUdWQ&t=18s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hasn't it been like this since the 90s? Especially in genre films?
I don't think it's the return of dadrock, it's just the return of exploitation films which is essentially what shit like Transformers, Marvel movies and such are.

Its been ramping up for a couple years now. The earliest I can think of is the whole Maleficent theme being a spooky cover of a classic song. Now they're just using songs outright.

I think the idea is if you take something recognizable and iconic from our culture, it serves as an anchor point that grounds the narrative in something familiar.

It invites the audience in to something, like in Guardians, is literally alien to the crowd. Or Thor, which is High Fantasy and now apparently part Sci Fi in Ragnaraok.

I fell that in this way, the soundtrack is a measure to try and stay the Marvel films from becoming "genre" films, and to stay in brand with the rest of the movies. Its easy for stuff like Iron Man or Captain America to feel like a super hero movie, but Thor and Dr. Strange (which didn't have a dadrock soundtrack so much as it made lots of pop music references) could easily feel like standalone fantasy movies, and Guardians standalone sci-fi. A dadrock soundtrack significantly changes the tone of the movies, and reminds the viewer that in spite of all this weird fantasy/sci-fi stuff going on, there's still a plain old vanilla earth out there (that the viewers are a part of).

>Is this a fad or are we seeing a resurgence of Dad Rock in pop culture?
its CALLED APPEALING TO YOUR DEMOGRAPHIC.

Autistic manchildren?

yeah. they work jobs and have lots of money to spend. or even better live off the government's money!

Because Generation iPhone™ can't do anything right.

Because we're making America great again brother.

The actual answer is because current Rock music is stagnant and we have nostalgia for simpler times that were much less nihilistic

Dadrock has always been a staple in movie trailers.

>BORN TO BE WIIIIIIILD

yeah cause that money belongs to the government

get over yourself idiot

>Iron Man had AC/DC and Black Sabbath prominently in the movie and in the ads
Sure user, this is something totally new.

youtube.com/watch?v=8hYlB38asDY

because it's catchy and everyone knows the songs
...duh

Not Normie's under the age of 30

Immigrant Song has been in a million games and movies, everyone still knows it user.

Go outside you fuck

>being this disconnected from reality

go for a walk or some shit

I hate the term dad rock. It's used by dumb hipsters with daddy issues.

uhh, disagree, every kid in college can still sing along to acdc and queen

This a thousand times.

If you haven't forcibly had dad rock lyrics beat into your head by virtue of being a part of society for what I hope is 18 or more years then I don't know what to say

>hipsters
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.
It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.
Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).
You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.
The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.
Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.
tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

Well I'm at school(yes underage), and it's rare to hear rock at the school Halls.

i hate the term hipsters. its used by white trash who can't pass humanities class

>Well I'm at school(yes underage),
>anecdotal evidence MEANS EVERYONE EXPERIENCES THE SAME ISSUES AS ME
summer pls go.

t. hipster

Yeah but at least I get to fuck my cousin

you got me their!

because the "im different look at me ive suffered with depression, drug addiction and came out the other side" generation is now hitting 25-35

You all live in your dad rock eco chambers. Most young people under the age of 30 don't know much about classic rock except that it's something older people and hipsters listen to. Ask yourself, have you ever heard any rock coming from obnoxious 20 something's portable speakers on a train? 85 percent of young people out know nothing about Rock. And the other 15 percent are obnoxious rock fans.

>Ask yourself, have you ever heard any rock coming from obnoxious 20 something's portable speakers on a train?
yes i do.
i know tons of fucking girls who listen to nothing but
the who, pink floyd, the doors, rolling stones, and fucking led zeppelin

leave your house for once and talk to ppl.

sounds like you have a problem with rock music and its fans

I think the term hipster has stopped a lot of normies from expanding their tastes.

>stay retarded and blind normies its the right decision desu

movie industry=capeshit
capeshit=marvel cinematic universe
marvel cinematic universe=reddit
reddit=dad rock

Again, your eco chamber is showing. If that was the case, rock wouldn't be in a shitty state(almost dead).

>Ask yourself, have you ever heard any rock coming from obnoxious 20 something's portable speakers on a train?
Yep. I've also heard a college student belting out You Can't Always Get What You Want in 2014.

Mind you, I'm not even arguing that these songs are in vogue, I'm just saying they're more well-known than you're giving them credit for. I've heard Immigrant Song specifically on more ads and movies the past few years than I have because I went out of my way to listen to it.

Don't believe me? Well here's some links:

youtube.com/watch?v=L0bD4ts8eWY
youtube.com/watch?v=P-wGG8vYbZU
youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZyQK6kUdWQ&t=18s

I wonder, if so many young adults are listening to classic "dad" rock, why is it considered a dying genre and why aren't the big record labels capitalising on this by investing in rock talent when compared to new age hip Hip and pop? Why arent we seeing a Rock revival if what you say is true?

No one here has said it's an actively popular genre still, simply that it's not an unheard one like you said. You know another song most people still know? Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Another one? What A Wonderful World. That doesn't mean the Great American Songbook is having a resurgence, just that some of these songs have a lasting power.

It seems like you're being willingly obtuse at this point.

emergency nostalgia due to stress and depression?