Any medbros here...

Any medbros here ? I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's but stop taking my pills for 4 months and these are my blood results. I had much more energy when i took the pills though but was very anxious. What should i do?

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/stats/9k0xw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Treatment of Hashimoto's disease with thyroid hormone replacement usually is simple and effective

why the fuck would u stop taking it. u wanna die?

streamable.com/stats/9k0xw

i have hypothyroidism. i can't stop taking the pills or else i'd die. take the pills again gradually. speak to a doctor, man

I got diagnosed with yoshimitsus last week. May just kill myself to save money in the long run.

lol jus take them pills

only a dentist but organs and hormons also had a big space in our curriculum.
read the wikipedia about thyroid. it's an extremely important, vital organ.
you seem to be in 2nd phase of hashimotos's, which means underactive thyroid.
it may start with lack of motivation, goes to depression, leading to loss of hair, muscels, ... and finally death.
your body is shutting down. if you want to live, go to your fucking doctor.

good luck, be strong.

Take your pills obviously, your thyroid gland produces a hormone that fires up your metabolism and makes you active and alert (which is why you felt anxious "= too active/alert" when taking the pills). Hashimoto's syndrome is an auto-immune disease where your own immune system (your soldiers basically) attack your own tissue (in this case your thyroid gland) thus destroying it. The more it gets destroyed, the less hormones it will be able to produce. I'm guessing your hypothalamus notices the decrease in thyroid hormones in your blood and therefor overstimulates your adenohypofyse to produce the TSH (which is elevated in your case), which in turn will overstimulate what's left of your thyroid so to produce near normal levels of thyroid hormone again, this is basically your body compensating. Obviously this will only work to a certain extent of damage.

What tests did you have done? I've been thinking I might have some type of thyroid problem and I'm curious what tests would confirm a diagnosis.

Also yeah you should probably take your fucking meds. Or at the very least talk to your doc and see if you can take something else with less side effects.

go to doctor, ask to be put on a lower dose.

if its established hashimotos you've essentially got hypothyroidism.

that tsh is not good. a low dose of thyroxine should be enough to suppress the TSH and keep your T3/T4 levels high enough.

but you shouldnt really ever stop taking thyroxine. people have been known to rapidly decompensate randomly when they go off thyroxine abruptly.

not OP but thanks for elaboration.

Talk to your doc and he'll simply take some blood and send it to the lab. It's easy to detect the concentration of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and thyroid hormone in your blood and he'll be able to pull some information out of these values. If he needs more information, the next step would be to do a quick scan, probably a CT scan if they use radioactive iodine.

You're welcome, I'm only halfway through med school but this is the basic explanation of what's happening to OP.

people dont die outright from hypothyroidism anymore. go back to your teeth

what symptoms you got? if fatigue is the primary symptom there's a shitload of causes.
id go to your gp and ask for:
a full blood count to check for anaemia
baseline electrolytes, urea, creatinine - also to check for chronic kidney disease which should be unlikely
thyroid function tests - for if you have issues like OP here
vitamin D levels - vitamin D deficit may present with lethargy and depression

OP here , im fucking 22 man i just cant accept i have to take levo for the rest of my life. I just want my normal life before diagnosis. I have 20% bf atm . What if i cut to 10% ? will it fix by itself ? i just dont want to rely on synthetic hormones ...

good to see other medical professionals on.
im in my first year of practice.

do you know the difference between early hashimotos and graves disease?

nope.

ironically, if you take it, you'll get down to 10% BF faster.

thyroxine is great for cutting i hear. you'll be shredded.

its like type 1 diabetes, but for your thyroid.

plus what you bitching about? you now have near total control over a bodily hormone that controls your metabolism. its like the next best thing to testosterone replacement therapy.

if you get anxious, go to doc, get some benzos. its bad practice, but im sure you can find a sympathetic doctor

I'm not yet qualified to talk about the course of the syndrome or the treatment, sorry

I'm from Belgium, med school here is quite different from for example in the USA. Here we spend the first 3 years learning about every peculiarity of the body, organs, and even cells or processes in cells and how everything should function. In the next 3 years we learn about everything that can go wrong, how to make diagnoses, what treatments to give, stuff like that. I'm only in my third year, so at the moment I wouldn't know.

OP again . So if i take my pills with my tthroid remain intact ? i mean my own imune system is attacking it right now and if i jump on hormones it will shut down right ? just like bodybuilders who take steroids and their testicles shrink.
I want to think there is another way to fix Hashimotos without hormones. Maybe a certain diet, supplements ..

I got diagnosed at 20 and took it for 1 year and 8 months. I could focus better , i got easily out of bed but i was so anxious i was thinking everyone wants to harm me. I couldnt go to public places anymore without being aware of my souroudings instead of chilling.

wait.. so you havent even started rotations in hospital yet?

that sucks. diagnosis is more important than physiology. you dont need to be hardcore into physiology to diagnose and treat potentially life threatening conditions like myocardial infarcts.

for future reference, hashimotos and graves are both autoimmune diseases. the difference is that in graves the antibodies stimulate the thyroid, hence they end up with hyperthyroidism. it also presents with two specific signs that are pathognomic of it - pretibial myxedema - a type of non pitting oedema, and exophthalmos- bulging of the eyes forward. this dosent occur in other hyperthyroid conditions like say.. toxic multinodular goitre.

hashimotos on the other hand is the exact opposite. the antibodies attack and destroy the thyroid. however in the early stages, it tends to cause hyperactivity of the thyroid and patients present with signs of hyperthyroidism initially.

to differentiate, obviously there's the two signs of graves. additionally hashimotos tends not to present with much of a goitre.

but in practice. you just order thyroid function tests, get the results back, see that its hyperthyroidism, order thyroid antibodies, and they usually give you back both the antibodies for graves as well as hashimotos. makes differentiating it easy.

go to doctor. talk about your anxiety. get some more drugs.

>diagnosis is more important than physiology. you dont need to be hardcore into physiology to diagnose and treat potentially life threatening conditions like myocardial infarcts.

I've been saying that to everyone who asks me how med school is like here, but this is the system currently and there's nothing I can do to change it. Eventually we'll be docs with very good theoretical knowledge, but lacking a bit in practical experience.

>wait.. so you havent even started rotations in hospital yet?
We do short.. I don't know the right word... "visits" (?) to all sections/fields in the hospital of a few days at a time. In the next year (so the 4th out of 6) it will be longer periods of multiple weeks at a time, the 5th year is basically full-time working or assisting in a hospital and the 6th year is too, combined with writing a thesis. In the first three years combined we spend maybe four weeks in a hospital.

date'n pula mea si mori odata :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

oh thats alright then.
im in australia. sameish system except we get clinical exposure early.

learned to perform a cardiovascular examination week one.
we learn pathology, anatomy, physiology, etc. all in the first 3 years.

last 3 was mostly clinically focused.

its quite a jump from book to actual practice. some people cant handle it. i personally loved it, since i remember things better if its practical.

theoretical knowledge is good for some things though. if you want to do anything surgical you NEED anatomy. if you want anaesthetics you have to know physiology really, really well

I forgot to mention these four weeks include two weeks in the first year where we have to assist the nurses. It's pretty funny to do, the students have no clue what they're doing yet and most of the staff don't know how to handle you because you're going to be a doc but you act like an underqualified nurse. Some take out all their frustration they had with dickhead doctors on you and make you do all the shitty jobs (literally), while others already treat you like you've graduated, which is also silly because you're 18-19 at that point and don't know anything.

I'm looking forward to the next few years, I much prefer practical stuff over all the theory we get, but I guess it's a necessary "evil".

little tip for the future.

when you do end up going on the ward, learn to take blood and stick in IV cannulas.

once you got the basics down its a matter of experience with both.

you need lots of experience. i mean lots. ive done a few hundred and still get patients i have trouble with. and while thats fine normally, once you get out and its a night shift and youre the only one qualified to stick in a cannula in a patient at 3am in the morning who needs IV antibiotics or they'll die... you will wish you practiced more

oh and be nice to the nurses.

they will fuck you over otherwise.

Really basic stuff like general physical exams, cardiovascular exams, neurological exams, et cetera... and basic skills like taking blood or injecting medicine is stuff they already teach the first 3 years, but it's stupid because you'll only get to practice it once or twice before the visit is over and you have to wait more than a year to do it again. The system could really be improved.

Yeah... there was some semi game of thrones stuff going on in the nurses quarter, hahaha.

anyway before the thread gets deleted I wanted to say thanks for the chat and all the information!

no worries mate. take care. may we meet again someday.