Common core America

I don't understand why Americans teach Mathematics like this. I have a PhD in Mathematics and I struggle to see what the point of this is.

The children don't get it, the teachers don't get it, no one understands it

Why are administrators of education ironically the biggest idiots in the school system?

>I have a PhD in Mathematics and I struggle to see what the point of this is

Yeah I too have a PhD from Oxford and I just happen to post on Sup Forums in my spare time for all the stimulating discussion about the latest conspiracy theories and the jewish cuckolding theories.

im an army CPT with a masters and shit post on Sup Forums pretty often

You think you're being hilarious, but that is my current situation exactly.

It looks like this answer was written on top of an erased answer. I can't make out all of the erased answer, but I can tell the first word is "No".

It is possible that the student got it wrong and then after it was graded, erased the original answer and changed it.

The teacher could have put the estimate response to show the student that there was an easier way to come to the correct conclusion than whatever the student did to miss the answer.

High, Ryan

Wouldn't surprise me if a parent did this to show how stupid common core is and to get upvotes on facebook or something. It obviously said "No" originally.

Well it's kinda stupid with small numbers like that but I believe it's just to introduce students to the idea of "estimates" which are useful when dealing with larger numbers if you don't have a calculator handy (which is pretty unlikely in this day and age) and a quick rough estimate is needed.

>Sup Forums falls for clickbait yet again
it's the parent being cheeky for upboats. you guys are fucking retarded.

I hate math because of my teachers here, will my fourth grade teacher because she didn't even try to teach it and in high school my geometry teacher sucked. Got mad when none of the class knew how to do a problem that we were just introduced to that day.

>im an army CPT with a masters and shit post on Sup Forums pretty often

I'm a Deputy gold sergeant first class general and I commandeer 5 entire battalions and I post every day on Sup Forums, I love Sup Forums

proof?

Estimation is more useful than approximation, unless you're sending rockets to space. You don't need to know 1,000 digits of pi to find the area of a circle. You just need to know that pi is around 3.

They want to condition kids to always be learning, and never "know".
There can never be a "true" way anymore. Only doubt and reevaluation.

How does a math minor not understand that?

Obvious fucking bait, some faggot erased what the student put after the fact, you can even see the erasures and where the student's first word was "No."

here's your estimated change sir

oh sorry is it short?

That actually makes a lot of sense though...

I hate common core as much as any other guy with a brain, however that looks to be like it was a question specifically suited to estimation. Estimation is something that they do teach in early schooling and you will be marked off for not doing it as much as it may annoy someone.

>USA
>having a clue about education

The point being that you must be a pathetic sack of shit if your credentials were any good and you posted on Sup Forums of all places. This is basically a hangout for beta male teenagers to roleplay as alpha males since their real life sucks. So the possibility is either:

1. You're lying
2. You are such a sad sack of shit that this place is honestly a good hangout for you and the people here are intellectually stimulating to you.
3. You're just here to fuck with people

Those are your choices.

Yeah, you're short by two pennies which will sit between my couch cushions for years. Keep them.

As much as I think Common Core is shit, this is accurate if you're dealing with rounding numbers.

28 is rounded up to 30 because it's closer than 25, and 103 is rounded down to 100. So, 100 - 30 = 70.

Q. How dumb are American liberals?

A. They BROKE MATH!!!

Engineering students in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY must be laughing their fucking asses off!

>trying to write down every single bit of the thought process behind maths

This is to mathematics what reading is to writing.

affirmative action

>I have a PhD in Mathematics
$300k starting anywhere you want?
What's your discipline?

BTFO

niggers have low iq and muh white privilege

Listen to Ahmed, his kind invented algebra.

Common core mathematics is designed to "teach" what is the intuitive way we eventually do basic number operations. So as an adult, if we're asked 134,792 minus 789, we mentally round up the 789 to 800 (holding the credit of 11 to mentally add to the final result later on) and round by the 792 to 800 (holding the credit of 8) so that we arrive at 134,800 - 800 + 11 - 8 to arrive at 134, 803.

Notice how verbose this is to write, and how difficult it is to even explain, let alone teach. In the past, what we would teach kids is the carrying, which is seen in modern pedagogy as being an example of "rote learning" (i.e. a waste of time requiring hard work that could be spent better elsewhere), failing to note that the development of approximation and estimating is rooted on that principle.

Additionally, it's difficult to teach something that you yourself where never taught, especially with primary education. Furthermore, most primary school teachers are idiots, holding shitty degrees and who would be better suited as nursery staff.

134, 003 rather.

The question is pretty poorly worded, though. One doesn't need to estimate - the sum can be done in your head quite easily.

In fact, estimating in this case takes longer. The kid is right, if that's really his answer - 75 is a reasonable answer because it's literally the correct answer, and is demonstrably so from the question.

If you want to teach estimation, use large awkward numbers that arent easy to do in your head.

>cash

Are you 80 years old?

>I don't understand why Americans teach Mathematics like this
It's Satanic new-age garbage.

It's to remove objective literal truth and introduce objectivism.

Jesus Christ is the Word of God and said He is the truth (the Word of God is the truth).

This is why the world is inverted, backward and bullshit. It's being turned upside down.

It's also to allow racial quotas and for Communist teachers to give "minorities" creative marks for expressing themselves, regardless of what they write or do to the test sheet.

>little timmy got the answer right
>but he's white and didn't doodle basketballs on the paper
>so he gets 15/100

>little tyrone couldn't spell his name, but he said "man i dont know" which is quite creative
>also he's oppressed by whites so he gets 100/100

>wow take that, racist whites, looks like you're dumb and were wrong about intelligence links to race! look at these test scores! Sup Forums BTFO

Hello Occam, I like your razor.

28 is close to 25 and 103 is close to 100 so yes 75 is an okay estimate.

Kid still got it wrong though because he didn't estimate

That's more or less correct, Africa aside.

What you gonna do about it, pussy?

This seems correct, but unneccesarily complicated. Why would anyone even do this?

He erased answer says :NO, b/c 75 is closer to 80 then 70.
But since that is correct the teacher would have marked it right. So it would mean that his new answer was made before she marked it

The common core standard doesn't tell the teacher to be a moron, they make that decision on their own.

It also doesn't tell schools to buy bad texbooks nor does it mandate the use of new math for the most part (some of the numberline stuff is not really classical arithmetic, but it's harmless).

no no no this teacher is clearly wrong :^)

it's easier to add 3 to 17 to make 20

23+20=43

This is fine. This is what long addition actually is. The difference is you didn't learn that. You just learned the shortcut of carrying over to the tens place. To you it's confusing because of that, but to a child it isn't.

This teaches critical thinking, which is all math is.
That's the point of common core. To make transition into calculus and abstract maths easier because they have a fundamental understanding of numbers rather than a bunch of shortcuts to an answer.

Estimation skills are taught somewhere between K-3. It was a horrible unit to learn and serves no prupose

>handwriting too neat to be a kid
>literally has indentations from where the kid pushed too hard when originally writing the wrong answer

His discipline is internet fraud and pepe collection.

>2. You are such a sad sack of shit that this place is honestly a good hangout for you and the people here are intellectually stimulating to you.
This is usually the situation and we like it that way.

Bye fag.

Wouldn't it be faster to just round up?

26+17 rounds up to 30+20
26 is 4 away from 30
17 is 3 away from 20.

30+20 is 50
4+3 is 7
50-7 = 43

implying this shit is easier than (20 + 10) + (6 + 7)

Tell me about your field user.
You don't just do a PHD in "math."

that doesn't mean that 75 is not an acceptable estimation.

Reminder, it's all the kikes.

Be thankful that Europe will never establish such a fucktarded system.

Depends on your thought process, I've been moving a bit over to make a multiple of 10 since I was a child because that was natural for me.

Then you can do it on paper. Or draw it in the dirt if you have to. There is never a need to do something the lazy way.

My purchases can't be monitored. I have no accounts to be frozen and/or seized. Say hi to Big Brother for me.

That fucking nose though.

>critical thinking
>math

Top KeK

>handwriting too neat to be a kid

No, it isn't. How old do you think the kid answering the question was? 5?

>literally has indentations from where the kid pushed too hard when originally writing the wrong answer

He didn't get points off for answering wrong. -1 is not enough to indicate that. They gave partial credit and took points off for arriving at it the wrong way. The most likely scenario is the kid wrote one answer and then another. Whether he changed it before or after the grade, I don't know. The context of the grading tells me he changed it before he handed it in.

Pretty ironic. Xianity is the Common Core of religions.

Do you even know what critical thinking is?

>I will proudly admit that I am a dumb fuck lol

Good one, you sure showed me.

You're still here.

>Kid still got it wrong though because he didn't estimate

It didn't tell him to estimate.

It doesn't matter that it's easier.. It doesn't matter that carrying the one is easier either. That's not the point. You have to use the 6 because the 6 is in the ones place.

It's literally just breaking apart long addition. This is the exact same thing you do when you carry the 1.
The point isn't to make long addition easy and quick it's to show you whats actually happening, which surprisingly people don't grasp until they are in college. They can learn to use the shortcut of carrying the one without having to critically think at any point in their life.

anti-common core'ers are so fucking dense.
I'm against public education, but there's nothing wrong with the math section of common core. You can't teach math "wrongly". It doesn't work that way.

Yes. I'm here to mock you. And you're here to be my bitch and try to save face.

>africa aside
Africa literally might as well not exist

Okay bro

Well it's not option 1), in any case.

>$300k starting anywhere you want?

ahahahaha. you'll learn.

The world would unarguably be a better place if it no longer existed, but it still does.

>Furthermore, most primary school teachers are idiots, holding shitty degrees and who would be better suited as nursery staff.

christ, so much this.

No problem. I've got time, as all my transactions take less than 20 seconds.

It is literally because they are totally confused about why nothing they have done has managed to eliminate the racial achievement gap. They are trying anything and everything to reach these keedz.

>taking the time to prove a personal claim on Sup Forums
Everybody point and laugh.

>let me tell you what Sup Forums is

No, that is what YOU are. Stop projecting.

What unit?

what a sad existence you must experience. Expect more for yourself. You are a God, dont forget that.

you are correct. time to deport that teacher into a mass grave

>Critical thinking
Not being a meth head and assuming, because my way of describing things has been institutionalised, is the only right way.

>inb4 everything can be described mathematically

It's kind of terrifying when you think that the people who are teaching the absolute basic foundations of our entire knowledge base to our children, are literal idiots. Primary education is where kids learn to fucking read, learn the basics of grammar, learn basic number operation, and start to learn some reasoning skills. It's the springboard on which everything else is fundamentally based, really, and we're letting people who whored themselves out at University and who likely got 3rds to teach them these things.

kek

No, thats you getting your shit pushed in

Your shitpost-fu is weak, sheepfucker.

>I actually checked Google to see if the nose was photoshopped in or not
It's not.

Herbal jew got me kicked out. I dont have any excuse but I was pissed cuz I was 6mo from my 2nd extension finishing and me getting out. Zero tolerance when theyre trying to downsize.

You look like a fag and your shit's all retarded, good day, sir.

It's the exact opposite of what you just said. The goal of current educational system is to indoctrinate people with a certain worldview and never ever question it.

Always asking questions, living in doubt and reevaluating is what actually smart people do.

I'm a 6'4, 10/10 chef at Wendy's making well over 120k a year. AMA

The fags over at Reddit already debunked this one Mr. Mathematician. Someone erased what the kid actually wrote then wrote in a correct answer to make the teacher look like a cunt and to earn more upboats.

>5
ITS FAKKEEEE
YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE SOMEONE ERASED IT AND REWROTE OVER IT

Hahaha....HAHAHAHAHA. Definitely a 2), then.

>And so...?
Its nice b8

Its a sad day when you must explain to Sup Forums that fact checking is a basic shit

THREAD ATTEN-SHUN!!

>how do i read IDs guys im new here

>No Africa

Good map though.