I don't get. I am just not cut out to enjoy jazz? It just does nothing for me

I don't get. I am just not cut out to enjoy jazz? It just does nothing for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zxTD1XQTcyk
youtu.be/wqHe50_tBVc
youtu.be/dH3GSrCmzC8
youtu.be/gfqQVvA9LsI
youtu.be/k94zDsJ-JMU
youtu.be/Iu0IfC_IUaA
youtu.be/dbbCZaI313A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes, pack your bags and leave the jazz world. it's not for you and never will be. stop wasting your time.

You don't have to like things you don't like, user.
But that is a weird jazz album that doesn't really represent the rest of the genre at all. Not exactly the album to start with.

just bunch of shitty noodeling that hipsters call deep intellectual art

I only just got into jazz myself. I love Kind of Blue, The Shape of Jazz to Come, Empyrean Isles, A Study in Brown, all that shit, but I'm not a fan of Bitches Brew at all. Just find the style of jazz that feels "right" to you and enjoy it.

3/10

That's like saying you won't like electronic music if you don't like Kid A

This, there's more emotion in fucking math rock.

Of all Miles' albums Bitches Brew does nothing for you? Is this the first jazz albums you've listened to? Avant-garde jazz isn't really the best starting point. In a Silent Way did nothing for me either, although I haven't been new to "experimental" music when I've listened to it.

I like the album, but it is not exactly friendly to new listeners. It is way too unstructured for casual listening.

try pic related. miles davis is rather bland tbqh

Are you going to respond to anyone OP?

Miles in the Sky is better

This. The people I've had express their love for this album to me were mostly musicians who could solo and really follow along with the harmonic/timbral/rhythmic choices made by the players.

That and of course, people who like the aesthetics, and people who had a nice trip while listening to it. I think, most of the time, it's the same people who started out not knowing how to play jazz who somehow found the album enjoyable, then picked up an instrument and carried the album with them for years to come.

Personally, I didn't like it during the handful of times I listened to it, but it doesn't mean it's bad imo. It's just not my taste. Then again, it's been over a couple of years since I last listened to it. Maybe I'll like it next time.

You're not high enough.

Seriously. I never understood it until I listened to it stoned with my eyes closed. Now I don't have to be high to get there.

Thanks, marijuanas.

I know this is a meme and thus I make it a point to almost never use this expression but you literally just do not understand it

I figured the best way to start is to listen to the classics. Yes I started with this. Where do you recommend I start?

Something not too overwhelming.
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth

I think you got it pretty clear, and whilst I don't play music I am a jazz enthusiast. I just really like the long tracks for summer days when I'm relaxing in the sun.

he's right you know. This album got me into jazz

same

>muh feels
Fuck off

I mean I listened to like The Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack, Kind of Blue, and A Love Supreme before this as my exposure to jazz. That's like not very much exposure. I still loved it. Moral of story OP: u will always b pleb haha

Thanks for the rec man, I appreciate it.
Weed doesn't really have that kind of effect on me, where I just get music I wouldn't get otherwise. I'll check out Sun Ra though.

Thanks man, only one I'm familiar with is Head Hunters. I'll check the rest out.

it's a shit one

listen to Kind of Blue instead

Careful with Sun Ra, given that most of his albums are mostly avant-garde jazz too.

idk man its the album i started with and i like it a lot more than most of the other jazz albums ive listened to

OP it's because your brain is too used to being intellectually coddled and unchallenged by pop music and/or because you listen to music passively as background noise rather than actively with deliberation and focus. Probably a combination of both.

But to acknowledge this user , Bitches Brew is a fairly avant-garde jazz fusion album and not by any means a comprehensive example of the genre, which has a myriad of styles. Maybe check out some more straightforward stuff...

If you're a guitar player like me, you can't go wrong with Wes Montgomery. His style is generally cool and melodic, and he's without a doubt one of the best straight ahead jazz guitar players who ever lived:
youtu.be/zxTD1XQTcyk

If you like piano music, Thelonious Monk and Bill Evans are two jazz giants that are universally acclaimed by top players and casual listeners alike:
youtu.be/wqHe50_tBVc
youtu.be/dH3GSrCmzC8

Miles himself explored a number of styles throughout his career. His ability to adapt to and even anticipate & develop new trends within jazz was probably the most integral component to his commercial and creative longevity. Here's a couple examples of the various styles he explored and/or pioneered:
>Cool jazz/third stream
youtu.be/gfqQVvA9LsI
>Modal jazz
youtu.be/k94zDsJ-JMU
>Post-bop
youtu.be/Iu0IfC_IUaA
>Jazz fusion/funk
youtu.be/dbbCZaI313A

All this aside, jazz is still much more an insider's/musician's music than just about anything you're probably familiar with. Being a musician (especially a jazz musician) helps provide a basis of appreciation for the high standard of musicianship. A huge part of jazz is soloing and improvisation in general. These tend to be extremely abstract and challenging concepts to the layman, who is used to listening to music for song lyrics rather than pure instrumental expression. That's why a lot of people write off jazz as noise or noodling.

>OP it's because your brain is too used to being intellectually coddled and unchallenged by pop music and/or because you listen to music passively as background noise rather than actively with deliberation and focus. Probably a combination of both.

Yeah none of that's true. I listen to mostly prog rock and post rock these days. Nothing wrong with good pop though.

I appreciate recs, I'll check out all this stuff.

u said u like it the other day wtf mango

Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue are babbys first jazz that won't appeal to you if you have a brain. Check out A Love Supreme for an entry level jazz album that is actually good. Same for Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Also don't be scared about checking out older jazz first. Bebop is probably the stuff most similar to rock that isn't fusion noodly shite and the essentials charts work well for that.

Great album.

Miles is far from bland though, everything style he ventured in to he made his own. In fact that's an incredibly lazy term to use, especially considering he's probably the single most diverse and eclectic artist in jazz history. You just need to listen to more jazz and come back to him. Judging by your recommendation - which was also an album I was enamored with when I first started listening to jazz, in fact probably my favorite at the time - you are still in a stage where a lot of jazz sounds very much the same to you, so you gravitate toward albums with a very distinct character that set themselves apart from the majority. If this is the case, as you go on you will start catching on to more and more subtleties in the genre as a whole, and stuff that once sounded almost the same will sound incredibly different.

>post rock
I wouldn't consider a lot of post rock to be very conducive to active listening, because it tends to be so minimal and ambient that it just naturally relegates itself to the background. Prog is definitely very demanding of attention though.

But yeah if you're anything like me when I was really into post rock and you listen to it to enhance something visual like a film or vidya (because it's omg-so-atmospheric), you're not actively listening. You might drift in and out of focus, but active listening requires your full attention.

The only time I would ever attest to being able to actively listen while multitasking is when the other task is basically unconscious, like mowing the lawn or driving in a familiar part of town.

>Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue are babbys first jazz that won't appeal to you if you have a brain
Well aren't you a special little snowflake

try coltrane's giant steps and explore his discography from there

I actually do actively listen to post rock, but I get your point. I actively listen to any music I put on.

Lol whoever that was wasn't me.

OP Don't give up yet. Take a look to the movie "Whiplish". It will make you enjoy some jazz.

Didn't give up, in fact I just listened to some Charles Mingus and thoroughly enjoyed it.

u mean soundtracks for the blind

Bitches Brew is actually the best shit ever and also the best Miles Davis album. Fight me

>Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue are babbys first jazz that won't appeal to you if you have a brain.
You don't actually listen to music, do you?

>Bitches Brew
>better than On the Corner

HAW HAW

This movie is pretty shit for the entire last third and not really good to get into jazz. It just says "lmao abusing people makes geniuses" which is beyond stupid

Don't take the bait

this album has enough emotion and personality to be a starting point for jazz listeners.
Bitches Brew is the good good shit tho. I like to imagine the opening track as a swirling chaotic thunderstorm.

>Don't take the bait
Yep, he got me. Thanks, I'll pull it together now.