So we've already disputed the myth that you need to know your musical theory in order to be a successful or dare I even...

So we've already disputed the myth that you need to know your musical theory in order to be a successful or dare I even say talented guitar player
But can the same be said about any other instruments like the bass, piano or violin?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LzGWT_1d0sE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

For the longest time, the bassist for the Chili Peppers, Flea, didn't know Music Theory, and he was plenty successful and loved as a bassist. If I remember right, he didn't even learn it until the late 2000s/early 2010s.

all depends on the material
playing well isn't necessarily a matter of training, but it's always a matter of practice

no you still need music theory every step of the way.

you can't even write a song without theory. let alone an album.
some people, actually have such a good musical ear that they can play G to G or F to F on the entire fretboard without looking at any paper

Second poster here, I'm also in agreement with this guy. Even if you don't know the ins and out of music theory you still need to know a little to write music.

Obviously you need to know a minimum amount of information to play anything
For a guitar player that boils down to pentatonic scales and chords
But a guitarist won't always be able to tell you what a 7th chord is or a harmonic scale

you do realize that almost none of the famous musicians of the 20th century knew any theory? It's definitely not a requirement for songwriting

well if you play rhythm guitar or a bass you don't need theory. you just need to follow instructions.

cobain et al are/were intuitive learners of music theory. kurt spent countless hours banging away on his guitar for years before writing his classic tuneful songs. it didn't just appear out of nowhere. kurt had a natural musical disposition and ear for melody, was also fairly intelligent, so he picked up music theory intuitively but probably couldn't explain it with words, but he knew it, he felt it in his bones. one of the greatest shames is that such a great songwriter thought he'd hit a brick wall creatively, failing to realize that it was simply due to stress and drug abuse. if he just took some time off and got away from the hard drugs he would've tapped into his muse again and wrote many more classics.

i know, but writing down notes and ideas is part of music theory.

if you can play an entire song by just humming the chorus then your'e a friggin genius

And look how well that has served us. Especially in regards to modern bass players.

not true about bass at all, you absolute pleb, are you a lead guitarist by any chance?

Is Kurt Cobain your standard for a talented guitar player?

i don't play any particular type of thing. i play lead guitar the least actually

this is japanese jazz

listen to that wicked bassline, that's how you know a bassist knows his shit
youtube.com/watch?v=LzGWT_1d0sE

>tfw music theory is completely out of the realm of your understanding

I don't know a goddamn thing about music, despite listening to it all fucking day. Does anyone have a book about musical theory generally? I don't want to learn to play anything or become a musician, I'd just like to learn a bit to appreciate my music more.

i didn't understand it for years.
then i tried to look at more and more videos about the same concepts and then it finally came to me.
someone on youtube explained chromatic chords and notes and it finally all came together

xD ROCK PLEBS
BTFO
T
F
O

look at bluegrass music plenty of self taught savants on violin and piano. Nothing wrong with being classically trained but their is definitely something to be said about forging your own path by learning your own way

None of them were musicians.

Ear training (a skill developed by listening to music and then attempting to imitate it with some sort of instrument) is the only kind of musical "training" strictly necessary to being a good musician - regardless of the instrument.

Just because you're self taught doesn't mean you don't know any theory.
To sit within the confines of a particular genre you would need to know what makes that particular genre, so you would need to know some theory.

He was pretty good. When he wasn't all fucked up on heroin, he was pretty god-tier, desu.

>He was pretty good. When he wasn't all fucked up on heroin, he was pretty god-tier, desu.
Playing power chords isn't "god-tier" by any stretch of imagination.

bleach has some good riffs dont even front

>the myth that you need to know your musical theory in order to be a successful or dare I even say talented guitar player
That may be true, but in the grand scheme of things Kurt Cobain was a pretty untalented guitar player

Why would any musician associate themselves with a guitarist who doesn't know what a 7th chord or a "harmonic scale" (I'll assume you mean harmonic minor) is. They're music would be complete shit. I'm sure even punk musicians know this stuff.

>japanese jazz
I can't believe I've never heard of this style

>Nothing wrong with being classically trained but their is definitely something to be said about forging your own path by learning your own way
>look at bluegrass music
That's a good example of talented musicians who aren't formally trained, but in terms of forging their own path I'd say bluegrass players are not a model. It's a very traditional music. And the ones I can think of that are somewhat unique are formally trained to some extent.

>Kurt Cobain
>god-tier
My sides

Good perhaps, but still basic as fuck.

>I'm sure even punk musicians know this stuff
Dude, on the whole you're giving them waaaay too much credit. Sid Vicious couldn't still couldn't play bass by the time he died.

Listening to and learning loads of music will give you the intuition to say 'that sounds right/wrong' and gives you a repertoire of micro motifs in your brain but you will do a lot of trial and error when writing

Theory means you can improvise and it will sound 'right' but not necessarily good