Who are the best screenwriters currently working? I'm looking to read some good modern screenplays

Who are the best screenwriters currently working? I'm looking to read some good modern screenplays.

pic related, he is pretty good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yAwkf571wOo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lmao epic thread

someone archive this shit!

why would you read a screenplay for pleasure? the format doesn't lend itself to being an enjoyable read

WOAH LOOK OUT A HELICOPTER

This man's appearance and success relative to my own are confirmation to me that I am an enigma in this time. A man out of time. A man from another time artificially placed into this one.

sure

why is this guy being force memed

i saw some interview with him on that show with the two dead pan losers and he was a typical hollywood cunt

Not for pleasure, but for edification. Just to get a good feel for how screenplays are written, the form of it, etc.

kys

Monahan
Milch
Zaillian
Greenaway
Winter
Sorkin

I disagree, some screenplays are very enjoyable to read, like the ones by Tarantino for example.

I've read a few Sorkin scipts, they're really good. Thanks, I'll check out the rest.

i also suggest reading Cormac McCarthy's screenplays for The Sunset Limited and The Counselor. Tarantino's screenplays are fun reads, too. David Mamet is essential and the Coen Brothers, too.

Oh yes, David Mamet is great. If you haven't, you should read his non-fiction books as well, really good stuff.

Coen Brothers seem such an obvious choice, don't know why I didn't think of it.

I like reading screenplays, but my one big issue is that so many people are uptight cunts about format, that when someone breaks from formatting rules, it makes me feel like an uptight cunt too, I can't stop fixating on that little shit.
Tarantino scripts are okay, if you can read then and not hear his voice.

not true

kys max

yes it is

Goddamn it Max, it's Sup Forums. People are going to shit on you and everything you've accomplished.

nobody cares, faggot

kys

Tarantino scripts are generally fun to read because he isn't as dry and orthodox as most others. He basically writes the same way he would describe the scene in real life.

Shane Black is another good example of this, where you feel like he is funnily describing these scenes to you in person.

>FADE IN

>SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE - SPACE

>Silent and endless. The stars shine like the love of God... cold and remote.

that new movie he wrote about the oil rig looks pretty cool desu

No thanks, I have a good very good life.

the Mark Wahlberg one?

One good movie and a few meh ones came from his screenplays. Never read them, granted, only seen the end products.

no some other one can't remember what the fuck it's called.

Shane Carruth

Tarantino's screenplays are the best just for seeing what coked-up madness threw on the page before he had to seriously think of time constraints or budget

>read screenplays.
For what purpose?

me again..

I think it was rather an idea that he sold to Universal or something recently

that's true. I read the unpolished Hateful Eight screenplay that was leaked, it was really funny. Tarantino can't spell for shit. I still have it, actually.

Who Winter? Terence?

He is a very good pitch man, a very good promoter, but I don't think he's that good of a writer.

So many of the characters sound just like Max Landis and they're all that ''picture X meets Y'' type of stuff.

Don't reply to those edgy shitlords that can't even be bothered to write the entire name.
Their opinions are usually completely and utterly worthless.

Reminder that this is what happens when Max Landis is given complete creative control

youtube.com/watch?v=yAwkf571wOo

Screenplays can offer insight into the film production.

SPOILERS: Ex Machina

Charlie Kaufman
Shane Carruth
Cormac McCarthy

that is some garbage writing

It's pretty good desu.

It's literally describing what happens in the movie so I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about you pretentious little ass

yes, Terence. his last series, Vinyl may have been a huge miss, but his earlier stuff on The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire is stellar, not to mention Wolf of Wall Street.

Why can't we just be friends?