What do you all honestly think about Marilyn Manson?

What do you all honestly think about Marilyn Manson?

>Personally, I Love the nigga, but he's kinda lost it in the past 7 years.

He's pure shock value hack. Dethroned by Miley Cyrus.

Well he did shock people, people were losing their shit.

we just had this thread the other day

check the archive

That's all he ever did. Like cmon man even GG Allen made some good music. And Manson could only dream of being like GG

Go back to bed, Brian. For fuck's sake.

mechanical animals is still damn good

Try 17 years.

Rude

I was listening to Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals a while back for good old times' sake. Both of those are ultimately very hollow, very dated alternative rock records.
It's fucking weird to me to think that there was a time when Manson was genuinely considered to be public enemy #1 in the US, a time when he was considered to be anything more than schlock-rock for the Ozzfest crowd.

The guy wasn't William Burroughs or Throbbing Gristle. He wasn't even Mayhem or Deicide. He was White Zombie and Korn.

Personally I like Holy Wood

Antichrist Superstar/Mechanical Animals/Holy Wood are a brilliant trilogy of albums, highly recommended if you want to get into the band. From there GAOG is okay and everything after takes a fucking nose dive.

>He was considered to be anything more than schlock-rock for the Ozzfest crowd. The guy wasn't William Burroughs or Throbbing Gristle. He wasn't even Mayhem or Deicide. He was White Zombie and Korn.

When you're listening to Marilyn Manson, just remember that he's not like other bands. His music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to him to even remotely understand him. I remember listening to a song on Smells Like Children (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought a song was absolute bollocks during the listen. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the song had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Marilyn Manson could just become something so different when you take a look into the music.

Another thing you should note about Marilyn Manson is that it's easy to get a headache listening to him. Not because he's a bad artist, but because of how many ideas his music is riddled with and how complex they are. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just sound like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a listen the next day.

If you don't like his music, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through his lyrics, and picking apart the song itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.

His music is Magical.

It took me a long time to get into and understand what all the admiration was about, but after I've finally broken into it...it's like his music is on an entirely different level. I started out on Holy Wood, I listened to it once, didn't get much out of it. Then I saw Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows, and the director Joe Berlinger uses the song "Disposable Teens" to perfect effect in the opening scenes of the film, and it just haunted me. I listened to Holy Wood again and it's like every time I listened to it, it eerily got better and better and became one of my favorite albums in a very short period of time.

Next I listened to Mechanical Animals. Once again, didn't think much of it. Seemed like Marilyn Manson was just experimental and overrated. Then listened to it again the next day... and it's like something unlocked in my mind overnight. The album was brilliant, amazing, and beautiful. It continued to get bigger and more incredible the more I listened to it. I've probably listened to it 50 times since then.

Yesterday, listened to Golden Age of Grotesque. Remember feeling disappointed that it was no Mechanical Animals. Listened again today, and it's brilliant, haunting, and marvelous. Marilyn Manson does something I've never heard before; It's like he's playing with the very properties of music to set up something you can't understand at first, then blow your mind with a musical idea that couldn't have been understood or expressed in just a few playthroughs. His music engages you on a spiritual level and shows you things you didn't know existed. If you don't like Marilyn Manson, it's not because he's "overrated" or not as good as you've heard, it's because you haven't been enlightened. The best way to listen to him is to accept that the music is excellent and you're in good hands musically. If you try to judge it like you do most music, it will prevent you from understanding.

>tfw Manson was supposed to be on Eminem's '97 Bonnie & Clyde but rejected the offer because the song was too extreme even for Manson

>Golden Age of Grotesque
only manson album I like

source? thats hilarious as shit

Marilyn Manson was always talked about more than he was actually listened to. IIRC both of the two albums that he put out which managed to top the Billboard charts were the lowest-selling Billboard #1 albums of the years which they were released in.

>The guy wasn't William Burroughs or Throbbing Gristle. He wasn't even Mayhem or Deicide. He was White Zombie and Korn.

Very well-put.

Fuck off and be a dad, asshole.

Who does he or she think he or she is? Look, you can clearly see his or her nipples! That is obscene, maybe.

his music is fucking terrible, and he's a massive faggot

pic related
>"I remember growing up, saying you're an artist sounds pretentious, but now it's one of the only dignified things that you can call yourself."

i have strangely nostalgic memories of walking into the school restrom this one time and witnessing the local white trash thug kids shoving the local goth kid's head into the toilet bowl
said goth kid was wearing a marilyn manson t-shirt at the time

life will never be that good again

GG Allin's one good song was Bite it You Scum, that's it.

don't you have some patreon money to beg for, TJ?

Trent and Manson are doing a festival together.

It's fucking happening.

antichrist superstar and mechanical animals are unironically good because he had talented musicians helping him, holy wood is too r/atheism for me and never listened to anything else

awful

It makes me so :( that they're not buddys anymore