Updated Copypasta Edition

>Sup Forums jazz guides and charts
imgur.com/a/7k7Sw

>releases, reviews and news
pastebin.com/RXP80z0f

>music downloads
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

>historical resources
mega.nz/#F!fNdmVR7B!9a5sgVwyqqC3i3j9ooJGLg (jazz books)
mega.nz/#F!vZUVwQAR!nye_-wRwFbm-0Q3DYivQBg (Collection of Blue Note liner notes)
mega.nz/#F!ncdz0CpY!7RKQ_SY6OI77NcKS64t4UA (Collection of 1960’s Down Beat Scans)

>jazz theory and playing resources
mega.nz/#F!WcEEmbIJ!YGcPWrZAx4K9Jf4TVnsb_w

What needs to be added to this still?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D7aYjRl_6Zw
rateyourmusic.com/list/dotadot/in_a_silent_way__ambient_and_minimal_jazz/
youtube.com/watch?v=6BBzO-vferY
rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/
youtu.be/_4vRX4S16BE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FIRST FOR NICH PAYTON #BAM. ONLY BLACK PEOPLE CAN MAKE JAZZ MUSIC.

derailing this thread to ask you guys what yall think about Karma by Pharaoh Sanders, I think its a blatant and obnoxious ripoff of A Love Supreme but everyone seems to like it, what am I missing?

How will /jazz/ ever survive without 15 jackasses asking for charts in every thread though? We cant have thaaaaat in the OP

How will /jazz/ ever survive without 15 jackasses asking for charts in every thread though? We cant have thaaaaat in the OP...

>what am I missing?
muh feels

Its kinda what started the idea of spiritual jazz as a genre. Its definitely not a blatant rip off of a love supreme but its in the same vain for sure. Karma has elements of funk, world music, mantra chanting, and large ensemble kind of stuff so its not a rip off, its just one of the first albums to emulate it. Also you cant really blame him, so many musicians just didnt know what to do after trane died, there was a void and pharoah and alice were the logical people to fill the spiritual jazz void.

What do you guys think of Oscar Pettiford? I've been listening to some of his work, seems pretty great, but I kind of wanted to know what you guys think of it because he never shows up in any charts.

It's pretty cool that he was basically the first to use cello in jazz

but come on man
>religious themes
>free jazz elements
>beautiful opening
>all the sudden all the instruments go away except for the bass
>the bass is playing an iconic melody
>later on singer comes in singing a repetitive religious line
it happens on both albums

this is called a genre

no other jazz album follows that structure except for those two

the difference is that ALS has good sax playing

Where are the rest of the downbeats?

>religious themes
its called spiritual jazz
>free jazz elements
i dont really think you can call that enough of a similarity to say its a ripoff, like you wouldnt say paul bley was ripping off cecil taylor.
>intro
a free time intro isnt enough to say they are similar, different harmony, different tones, so on.
>bass solo & melody
open bass solos are a distinctive part of free jazz due to the fact that in free jazz, even more so then straight ahead, the bass controls the "harmony".
>singer later on
trane sings in the first movement of the suit.

A Love Supreme is also clearly defined as a suite with movement where as Karma is not. Im not saying they aren't similar! but i wouldnt call it a rip off. Again, man this album was recorded less then two years after trane passed away, pharoah is more then anything paying tribute to his jazzdad. the structure is similar though far from exact. either way theyre both beautiful and important pieces of music that great men made for us to enjoy. i do think karma is a little over hyped on this board but i dont mind, i love it, but you never see kids at jazz school or cats at smalls talking about it.

What rest of them?

Last time there were some articles from 1970 and 1969 posted. The link in the OP only has ones from 1960.

This thread needs ruthless bumping, that's how /classical/ started being active again

I like mingus

Nick Payton is a fantastic player but I always ignore everything he says

youtube.com/watch?v=D7aYjRl_6Zw

whats the jazz equivalent of this?

>payton
>fantastic player

Any guitarists wanna give me recs?

so what

I love this album, great taste mate, but I have no idea what could be jazz equivalent of it.
Try some Bill Evans, or maybe some ECM Jazz.
You could also try this list: rateyourmusic.com/list/dotadot/in_a_silent_way__ambient_and_minimal_jazz/

What the fuck is that giant tape collection archive?

Yeah

who'st are some nibbers whom swang

Does the fact that Sun Ra was crazy contributed to his music?
youtube.com/watch?v=6BBzO-vferY

I think it did.

Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Django Reinhardt - Djangology
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages
Ben Monder - Oceana
Allan Holdsworth - The Sixteen Men of Tain

I've already heard the recommended jazz fusion albums in the OP but what other artists should I look into if I like stuff more along the lines of Weather Report, Allan Holdsworth and Snarky Puppy?

Definitely Allan Holdsworth. Here's a list for you:
rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/allan_holdsworth___i_knew_that_he_plays_on_many_albums_but_look_here____/

>Tfw one of my favorite songs I've heard in a long time is from a video game
I feel like a pleb but holy hell does the guys who made the music for old Sega games know how to play

youtu.be/_4vRX4S16BE

>I feel like a pleb but holy hell does the guys who made the music for old Sega games know how to play
They're Asian, did you honestly expect anything less? The music sounds as dated as it possibly can be.

>The music sounds as dated as it possibly can be
No shit Sherlock, it's a song from a 1986 arcade game

Of course

Jan Garbarek - Dis

Speaking of, does anybody know of any other artists that sounds like this? The closest thing I've found is stuff like Weather Report

I think those were just random ones that jtg snapshotted from his collection. I've only ever seen full scans from 1960.

Still hoping someone will make a Prestige or Impulse version of this chart

bump

bump

Hi anons , I alwas hear people glorifying jazz and more often than not act smug about their taste and how only intellectual people "get" jazz music.

Can someone explain why is jazz like that? Is it true? Is it more complex and harder than classical music?

I thought this was alright, is there any other "Last Recordings" of other Jazz musicians that you guys know of?

Honestly it's been quite a long time since I've heard anything like that. Jazz is not hard to get, it can be complex and so on, but I wouldn't really say that it is hard to listen to or get. Especially when we're talking about older stuff, and not free or avant-garde jazz which can be a bit hard for some people who are not used to it.
Also, at least for me, jazz is not about thinking, about being intellectual, it is actually about feeling.

What are your thoughts on the future of jazz? Do you think that it will ever die?

Well, improvisation is difficult, especially over music that's as harmonically and rhythmically complex as jazz is. Try it some time- look up a lead sheet for a jazz standard and try to solo over it. Even if you don't necessarily enjoy listening to jazz, it's hard not to at least appreciate the musicianship of it.

There's usually a lot going on in the music, and it's easy to miss those small details if you're not listening very closely. It's possible that that comes across as smugness or elitism or something to those who don't get it, but it's really just the nature of the music.

Jazz is already "dead," at least in the sense that it is no longer culturally or commercially relevant. Instead it's become art music, and is basically supported by the artists themselves and wealthy benefactors/patrons.

You might see some trends come and go in jazz, especially as people experiment with fusing it with the current popular forms, but I imagine that it will stay in the art music niche that it's currently in without to much cultural change or impact for at least the next 30 years or so. After that it's really impossible to predict with how fast technology can change the world.

Is free improv jazz? From what I've heard of him, Abe was closer to AMM than he was to Ornette Coleman.

saxophone = jazz

Mhhh, nah tho.

Does applying a gently mixed bucketful of steam,a dozen rooster eggs and a bushel full of goldfish legs that's been fried on a sky hook in the midnight sun to your lips actually improve your range?

anyone got a high quality link for Sun Ra's Strange Strings?

How can we get black people to make good music again?

Rap is not only terrible in a musical sense, it promotes criminal and animalistic behaviour.

Meanwhile Funkadelic were laying down the grooviest basslines and singing about God and enlightenment and stuff. It was actually intellectual in it's content, and clearly showed a higher level of though and effort.

Jazz + Funk are based
Rap is fucking trash

get out, uncultured Sup Forumstard swine. You're a fucking joke.

Are you denying that rap makes stupid teenagers act like wiggers? Nobody likes wiggers.

I just wonder if it will really be alive, or will it mostly be about the music from the past. I don't really think that it will change or progress much, it can be fused with some newer music, maybe there will be more experiments with electronics, and electronic music in general, or maybe a revival of a genre from the past.
Perhaps it is also because jazz was changing really fast, and it tried most of the ways already. Another thing is that most of the greatest cats are already dead.

stupid teenagers don't know shit about good hiphop/'rap' or music in general. FOH.

That's exactly what people used to say about white people listening to jazz or funk in the past.

People like to romanticize the past. Even the guys who are always remembered as being the MOST INNOVATIVE still drew heavily from the past. That's the way it is now too, but without any cultural relevance.

are there any good third stream albums or is the genre a big joke?

just listen to the black saint and sketches and you'll be fine

Why can't I into Coltrane? None of his stuff is interesting to me even A Love Supreme

What music do you like? Or normally listen to? What trane have you heard?

Coltrane is now my favourite musician, but I kinda felt like this when I was first getting into jazz.
It's damn powerful stuff, if you can buy into the deep spirituality the man felt when he played. I don't know many other musicians who felt or got across anything near the intensity of it.
I was a filthy prog rock nerd and at first, listening to jazz was like hearing a foreign language. I thought a lot of it sounded the same and couldn't really distinguish much emotion in it. After a while and some listening around, I did start empathising more with how different players emote; but I still wasn't all that crazy about Coltrane. He's pretty highly acclaimed, so I listened to a lot of his studio stuff but wasn't blown away by it and kept checking out other artists.
After a while I just came back to a bunch of his records and loved them. I was kinda amazed at how I'd been so unimpressed by a lot of them. I think with a bit more acclimatising to how jazz works and expanding my palate, I was just able to connect and empathise with the feelings he was trying to get across.
Don't know if that's at all to relevant the position you find yourself in, but in any case, there's a shit tonne of complexity in what he's doing and it's worth giving some time to try into him.

I've heard most of the essentials (Giant Steps, Blue Trane, ALS, My Favourite Things, even Meditations). My favourite jazz artists are usually ones that grab my attention and keep it like Davis, Green, Blakey, Rollins, and Roach. I don't know if I have a short attention span or Coltrane's playing just isn't for me, but I usually don't feel a ton of intensity in his records or at least intensity that doesn't meander. I don't hate his stuff, but it's hard to finish his albums without feeling lost.

Any Jazz with a string section?

Okay cool, id reccomend crescent, live at birdland, bye bye blackbird, coltranes sound, live at newport 63, and just to see if this is more your thing try sun ship, stellar regions and live at the village vangaurd again. I really think youll hit the stride with either coltranes sound, crescent, or live at birdland. Hope this helps! Trane is beautiful.

Bird with strings senpai

Stan Getz's Focus has a proper string quartet arrangement that Getz improvises over. It's fucking sique.

I'm thinking about downloading a couple things from that tape archive, any recs?

how good is the jazz chart on /rym/

uh, bump
wow, Live/Evil blowing me away all the time.

Id recommend listening to Interstellar Space or Ole Coltrane if you havent, those are my favorite from him. Interstellar Space has some insane solos and is the opposite of uninteresting, probably his most abrasive album

Favorite vocal records?

Sarah Vaughan w/ Clifford Brown!

You should really include a mega of essential album downloads in this. Maybe all the ones from the jtg chart.

Is there a pastebin for jazz albums? the one in sharethreads is lacking

do you have any links? I'm trying to get a few later sun ra albums.

Post a good Funk-Jazz record that's not by Herbie Hancock or On the Corner.

bump