FIFA will announce 48-team World Cup today

globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-do-mundo/noticia/2017/01/copa-tera-48-selecoes-partir-de-2026.html

48 countries will be sorted in 16 groups of three countries each. Two best teams proceed into play-offs.

There is about 200-220 countries in the world.
There is about 26 letters in American Alphabet.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qK_M_Gxo78I
fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/afc.html
youtube.com/watch?v=M4wVccRk6vg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

8 groups of six, top four progress.

>Leave the World Cup to me

For what purpose?

>2022 world cup knockout phase
>azerbaijan - syria
>haiti - madagascar
>montenegro - togo

What a fucking joke

Even more 0-0 semen slurping shitfests

No. People WANT playoffa and groupstage is boring. Espexially with 6 teams, is it qualification wtf???

Groups of three actually looks pretty interesting.

Quotas:
Europe 16
Africa 9.5(wtf)
Asia 8.5(wtf)
South Am 6.5
NA+CA 6.5
Oceania 1

The really shitty teams that don't belong will get blown the fuck out so instead of 0-0 snoozefests we will get 5-0 snoozefests.

The problem with the Euros wasn't even the large number of teams it was the ridiculous format whereby all but 2 of the 3rd place teams went through from the group stage

It wasn't a bad thing to have teams from smaller countries there - it was a bad thing to have them (and any team) be able to try and hold on for a draw in their final group game so that they could finish 3rd and still qualify. It made the whole group stage pointless and boring

I'd like a 48 team cup that was all knockout though - that could be a lot of fun

Money; why do you think they play the game

The five options the 37-member Fifa council will choose from are:

>A 48-team World Cup consisting of 16 groups of three, with the top two sides qualifying for a last-32 knockout stage (80 games in total);
>Another 48-team version consisting of a 32-team, one-game knockout round, with the winners joining 16 already-qualified teams (80 games - 16 in preliminary and 64 in main tournament);
>Expanding it to 40 teams, with 10 groups of four and only six group runners-up advancing (76 games);
>A 40-team tournament with eight groups of five (88 games);
>Keeping the World Cup at its present size of 32 teams (64 games).

In Infantino's favoured option, the number of games rises from 64 to 80, but the finals can still be played within the existing tournament duration of 32 days, while a nation will play no more than seven matches, as in the present format.

>48 team
>all knockout
Learn math.

>i will live to see us qualify for the world cup
its going to a new home lads

oh also

>One potential flaw is that penalty shootouts may have to be introduced to settle drawn group matches to prevent two sides playing out a result in the last round of games that ensures both countries progress.

they should do a world cup bis for small football countries. The top 4 of that wc then can participate in the real one. It would gives them a chance to win a trophy at least.

neat, penos as based af

If that's the case, pick 64 teams and play straight knockout.

We need some Americans in the thread, they always have worth mentioning good ideas how to improve soccer.

Thís is it Sup Forums
We will draw the shit out of the world cup and TSUUUU will be crowned eternal champion of memes

>16 groups of three

That's a really good idea, grab the best not qualified teams in the qualifying groups and make a small 16-team WC played a year before the real WC, and the top 4 get placed in the playoffs for the real one

It will be seeded so basically all the top 2 teams will qualify for the ro of 32.

I like the 40 team tourny with eight groups of 5.
Winners of each group get a BYE, while 2nd and 3rd place finishers play each other to face said teams who earn their BYE's. The only draw back is a 2nd or 3rd place team that reaches the finals could have to play 9 games instead of 8. I guess they could make the tournament 40 days instead of 32, but Im sure the players will bitch about it.

Straight 64 team knockout tournament

*7 games. Sorry. You'd certainly have to make the tournament 40 days if you wanted to go this route. because even the group winners would have to play 8 games(although if a team dominates its first 3 games and secures a BYE then they could essentially rest starters for their final group stage match, like we have seen in cups past, as well as getting a BYE)

No, too dangerous. Random could decide it so you will have brasil-argentina, germany-italy in 1/32
You need at least 3-team group stagea

Romania used to be a solid tier 2 team, what happened?

You should seed them so the 1 seeds play the 16 seeds in the first round.

fall of communism, bad luck, corruption

Groups of 3 allow for fixing the third game which is probably what FIFA wants
>teams A and B draw 0-0
>teams B and C draw 0-0
>if teams A and C draw 1-1 they both go through

Doesn't have a team. Loads of small nations don't have official FIFA teams like Kiribati.

>more soccer faggotry

Seeing as Britain invented every major ball sport played in the world today bar basketball and netball, you best sit the fuck down and let us spread the Eternal Anglo Cultural Enrichment around.

>American Alphabet
what?

btfo

It was Chinese tho

>American Alphabet.

Nope. Please so some research.

>Football
>19 December 1863, Limes Field, Mortlake, London, England, United Kingdom

Oh and there was no footbal at 17 and 18 dec of 1863?

There might have been ball games, but there was no football. You do understand the inherent differences, right?

It's just like American Football is a combination of football + rugby. It is literally recorded as evolving from those.

Saying that football existed because of a similar set up (ie; playing with a ball and your foot) means football existed before is like saying Ōllamaliztli is basketball because it's got a similar goal.

You do realise that originally football was played between towns, right? Where you picked up the ball, kicked it towards the other town and the other town tried to kick it towards yours. The winner was the first town to kick the ball between the arches of the townsquare.

That isn't football, but that's where it started. Obviously several thousand people fighting over a muddy field to get a ball where each side is willing to kick the shit out of each other on purpose was dangerous as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=qK_M_Gxo78I

its still done today but with support.

Terrible news. This makes the US missing the cup, and thus national coverage of that godawful event going down, less likely.

it's not bad

I like it. More teams = more matches and it may be fun to view once in 4 years meme teams like Haiti.

They will make even group games be decided through penalty shootout to avoid exactly this and also appease Americans.

>Can China PLEEEEEASE be in the World Cup???
- FIFA

May be the shot we need to win the World Cup
>Finish 2nd in the group with 3 draws
>Get put in the bracket with weaker teams again

>LAST 32: 9-0 vs North Korea (Host Nation)
>LAST 16: 0-0 vs Venezuela (5-4 on penalties)
>QF: 2-1 vs Jamaica AET (118th minute goal)
>SEMIS: 0-0 vs Northern Ireland (2-1 on penalties)
>FINAL: 1-0 vs Germany AET (Ronaldo's son scores the goal on the 108th minute, becomes Super Sayan)

They could field a team, there's a couple hundred able bodied men in the Vatican.

Is your elementary school kickball championship still being held in durkadurkajihadistan or are they pulling out from all the fraud

They really want to make sure that China and the USA are in this every time, don't they?

Finally England can qualify out of their group now

>China is still below Syria in the WCQ

All this does is make Bush Bowl with Syria vs Iraq more likely in the World Cup

Expanding it to 48 will just dilute the tournament with punching bags. Everyone thought more teams would win the world cup when they expanded it from 24 to 32 but with the exception of France and Spain - who fielded world class teams during their peaks - it's been the usual cabal of world cup winners.

Concacaf qualifiers have never been difficult. Memexico made it to a playoff spot with just 2 wins in the last hex

You're both underestimating how shit China are. They're last in their group right now, behind Qatar and Syria.

Hope we meet again. 1990 was comfy af

> leaf
> trip
Cccccccombo!

fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/afc.html
Concacaf might be trash compared to CONMEBOL and UEFA, but we can at least defend.

>10 places behind mexico and cr

Th-thanks Klinsmann

You can also say
>1 spot infront of Iran

don't these jews already make enough money?

and fuck any format where only some of the 2nd or 3rd placed teams qualify for the next round, that shit is retarded

I'm also phone posting. On a blackberry.

>Europe 16
jesus christ

>Africa 9.5(wtf)
for the votes

>Asia 8.5(wtf)
for the votes

there is no way in hell asia deserves more than concacaf.

24 groups of two then

seriously

>Asia 8.5(wtf)
perma-qualification confirmed

thank you based corruption

Post tits

3 groups of 7 would be fun, top 4 from each group qualifying.

>More teams = more matches
There are less matches. 3 matches a group compared to the current 6 matches a group.

hope it happens

im a portugal fan after the butthurt you caused last summer

Glad to have you with us Steve

We'll do our best to meme our way to the Confederations Cup this summer

>compared to the current 6 matches a group.

>mfw im actually steve

1.A-B
2.A-C
3.A-D
4.B-C
5.B-D
6.C-D

>mfw the 3 striker formation will be
Francis (11) ---- Jesus (9) ----- God (10)

where the fuck does this happen

nvm got me confuss

you confuss a lot in this thread

>No. People WANT playoffa and groupstage is boring

Literally not true.
>2014 group stages
>attacking football loads of goals, "this looks like it's going to be the best world cup ever"

>2014 knockout
>0-0s everywhere

Did it slip in your brain?

Just fix the stupid "Seeded teams are determined by FIFA meme rankings" rule.

I'm an American and THIS IS SO FUCKING STUPID.

CONMEBOL has an advantage in the rankings not has bad as UEFA does though. Shouldn't complain too hard since CONMEBOL deserves another spot.

Are they going to announce it after their awards done?
youtube.com/watch?v=M4wVccRk6vg

JUST

>20 teams from Europe
>9 from South America
>Mexico and the US
>Africa, Asia, OFC, the rest of Concacaf and Venezuela scramble for the last 17 spots

Refute this.

I'll even add more

>Japan, Straya, Worst Korea, Iraq and Saudi Arabia always in

>Oceania will be NZL or Tahiti

>Nigeria, Algeria, Ghana, Senegal, Ivory Coast and South África also in

when is the announcement?

20 Europe
10 from both Americas
6 from Asia
6 from Africa
6 for Oceania, Middle East, Host nation (if they're a meme like Qatar)

international football died after rio

I'm excited to see what team of minnows we'll lose now

>tfw we'll never quality even it's a 100 team world cup
why even live?

Yes

>when the 5 time champions and undisputed best of all time got 7-1'ed
pottery

if you have 16 groups of 3, only the top should qualify for the ro16

not a ro32

although I hate the discussion on "why are these minnows even trying", because just 4-5 years ago we were always on that list

"why are san marino, faroes, andorra and iceland even in the competition"

Why not 1 of 3 ?
2 of 3 asking for anothey yuro 16

>2016+1
>Not using the superior ELO ratings
Dissapointed

No to the 48 Team tournament

Here is my solution that I have posted many times. I'm (hopefully) sure the Mexicans will agree.

Boot the Caribbeaniggers out of CONCACAF, let them have their own qualifying session.

CONCACAF will wait for them to send 2 of their top teams to join the 10 main countries that make CONCACAF.

>Mexico
>Canada
>United States
>Costa Rica
>Honduras
>El Salvador
>Guatemala
>Panama
>Belize
>Nicaargua.

Then you insert the two Caribbean teams and boom, a league style qualifying session similar to CONMEBOL which would be contested by twelve teams for 3.5 spots.

Another option is that >we could kick out the Caribbean Island's completely and only have the ten teams I mentioned above and have the winner of the Caribbean Qualifying session play the OFC for 1 Spot.

Please no, the Euro was already a shitfest with the expansion...

Reminder that Portugal should not have been allowed to advance to the Round of 16 because they had ZERO wins.

>calendar is already a mess
>add more meme tournaments to it

Sasuga FIFA

Current top 50 FIFA rankings by continents:
Europe: 28
Africa: 7
Asia: 3
South America: 8
NA+CA: 3
Oceania: 1

This is the dumbest idea imaginable