Here is the top 20 greatest movies of the century according to leading critics

Here is the top 20 greatest movies of the century according to leading critics.
Full top 100 in the link.
bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

>20. Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
>19. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
>18. The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke, 2009)
>17. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)
>16. Holy Motors (Leos Carax, 2012)
>15. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
>14. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2012)
>13. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
>12. Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)
>11. Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2013)
>10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
>9. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
>8. Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
>7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
>6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
>5. Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
>4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
>3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
>2. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
>1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

Do you agree? Of course you dont, contrarian twat. Okay, what do you disagree with and why?

>Fury Road
Empty but technically competent. You can't praise this and ignore Michael Bay's work.

>No Country for Old Men
Grisly, nihilistic edgefest. Well made thriller but I don't care much for it.

>Spirited Away
Not a bad movie by any stretch but nothing mindblowing. Miyazaki hits pretty much all of the same notes he's been known for for his entire career.

>In the Mood for love
I don't get why this one achieved such amazing acclaim. It's very nice but didn't stick out in my mind as a masterpiece after I first saw it.

>Mulholland Drive
Based.

I hope your thread doesn't die OP.

That's a lot of safe picks and the asian movies are clearly tokenism because how else do you end up with just 2 in top 20?

What's missing is everything that's seen as 'too trashy and commercial', Fury Road being the only exception because it allowed for an easy feminist reading.

How many years?

We had this thread earlier, it's a decent list but a few picks really don't seem to fit, like Zodiac, Pan's Labyrinth and Mad Max. Good movies but top 20 of the century? No way

I like Nolan's movies more than most of these desu.

The Dark Knight is 33
Inception is 51

A Brighter Summer Day > Yi Yi

> mad max

fuck off

>Boyhood

HHH > Yang

Well this lad
Has praised shit, I'll just call faggotry

>Mulholland Drive
Plodding, fairly standard post-Blue Velvet Lynch stuff. Good, nothing to write home about tho.

>Boyhood
Absolute trash with nothin of worth in it besides some Patricia Arquette/Ethan Hawke moments.

>Eternal Sunshine
Interesting idea turned into absolute hipster garbage. Perhaps the movie I hate the most in the lsit.

>Inside Llewyn Davis
If you thought Lebowski didn't have a plot, just wait annd see how much of a plot this doesn't have. Well acted, perfectly shot, great music and that's literally it. Would recommend 3-4 years between rewatches

>4,3,2
I will speak of this as a Romanian. It is pure, unadulterated, miserable, awful shit, 100 minutes of film spent on nothing, awfully shot, the stale dank cinematography is irritating, the colour palette makes you fall to sleep, the sound design makes it impossible for us Romanians to understand what the fuck they're saying and the lack of soundtrack to set the mood doesn't help. Fuck this film and every navel-gazing faggot who enjoys it. If there's anything that discredits the list as a whole, it's this.

>tree of life
Worst Malick by a mile, and that's saying something.

>well this lad has praised shit, I'll just call faggotry
What do you mean by this? I can't understand the intention of this post.

My favs on this list would be
>There will be Blood
>Spirited Away
>The Act of Killing
>Holy Motors(Absolute fav from this)
>Mad Max
>Pan's Labyrinth

Shitting on critics' choices it appears.

The opening reply bits confuse the hell out of me though.

What I meant to say was I hate a good chunk of the choices in the list.

The way it's written has almost torn in my brain in half it makes so little sense.

>Mulholland Drive best movie of the century
>no Bela Tarr movie

fuckin dropped

I realized that as I'm re-reading it myself. Then again, who double-checks on a Moldavian Town Rapist Jailcell?

fair enough

what would you change?

Inside Llewyn doesn't try to have a plot, the coen brothers were trying to show the Greenwich Village scene of the 1960's, which Bob Dylan, Fred Neil and Joni Mitchell came out of

wow you sound like a faggot lmao

Agree with everything except with Synecdoche, New York, Holy Motors and The Tree of Life. Thes three are just style with no substance.

>its intentionally bad, thus its not bad

What did he mean by this?

First of all I wouldn't make a top 100

It's garbage by Coen standards if you ask me. Felt a lot like "On the road" and I hated that book with a passion. I just wanted it to go somewhere but it really didn't. I'll concede that it's not for me, and I fucking like Lebowski.

>plot makes a movie good

top 1000?

>tfw have been telling people Mulholland Dr is the best movie since 2000 for a while now
>BBC posts this article

Not sure if i'm upset or happy

Yes man, a plot can make a movie good if there's nothing else there. I know you'll call me a pleb and shit, but tell me a plotless great film.

And Llewyn Davis didn't even have great character arcs, just a go from here to there, achieve nothing, oh there's Murray Abraham, OK, go back, there's that fucking cat, end. Beautifully shot, great music, finely acted, but plotless and without any sense of direction.

i wasn't saying it was intentionally bad, it was basically a showcase represent the scene in the 1960's in which every dude with a guitar thought he could make it big in the scene, when only a few did. I guess if it were to have a plot it would by Llewyn Davis trying to score a record deal or a permanent gig at a bar etc.

Certainly not the best Coen movie, but i thought it was really interesting to see what happened during that time in Greenwich Village. I guess you have to be interested in music history and how artists like Bob Dylan got started

I wouldn't make a top anything with fuckin animation movies compared to auteur's ones even making a ranking is cancerous just watch the damn movie, critic it and rate it but ranking them is just useless and idiotic

LMAO, look at this pretentious faggot.

>tell me a plotless great film
How generous are you willing to be with your definition of 'plotless?' I'll try anyway

Derek Jarman
>Blue
>Sebastiane
>Jubilee

Panos Cosmatos
>Beyond the Black Rainbow

Gakuryu Ishii
>Burst City

You need to convince the plebs they're good somehow. Arbitrary numbers are good at that.

I can see how some people might not like the movie, especially feel like it's a letdown do to it being directed by the Coens, and i absolutely don't think it's in the 100 greatest movies, but it serves it's purpose for those who want to learn about a specific time in music

the only ranking that would be acceptable is ranking movies of the same director or actor, etc.

I haven't seen any of these plotless movies, to be quite honest, so I can't judge you.
I do watch movies for the plot though, once presentation and acting are serviceable. If these are shit, the plot can't save it obviously, but a shit plot with amazing visuals is still not enough to keep me interested.
Even HD documentaries that are just the video are boring, but if we have a commentator naming the animal and narrating what it does its much, much better.

BtBR has a well defined plot. A simple one and done in a non-conventional way, but it's not plotless.

>derek jarman
Not a fan, I'll tell you that. Seen Caravaggio, wasn't really impressed.

>Burst city
Never heard of it, any good?

So you're a fan of the era, gotcha. Me but being more into blues and bluegrass it's not exactly my cup of tea. Absolutely love the music in it tho.

Very surprised Shitler's List isn't on there.

Nice

>20. Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
Haven't seen it
>19. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
No, this just isn't true. There are tons of betters film out there.
I haven't seen it.
>17. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)
Sure.
Haven't seen it.
Haven't seen it.
>14. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2012)
Should be closer to one; pure art.
>13. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
Should be closer to one.
>12. Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)
The social network was better.
>11. Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2013)
Haven't seen it.
>10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
Dug it, but it's over rated.
Haven't seen it.
Haven't seen it.
>7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
lol srsly?
>6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
No. If this is on the list so should 500 Days of Summer. Seriously over rated.
>5. Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
Fucking garbage.
>4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
Sure, but it should be way closer to 20, if not 20.
>3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
Haven't seen it.
Haven't seen it.
>1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)
Haven't seen it.

#1 should be Not Blacking Out, Just Turning The Lights Off. Now THAT was Kino.

Just IMBD my shit up

Why the fuck is Mad Max on that list ?

Sure, it's a great action flick with awesome car chases and ''cool'' cinematography.
But that's all it is.
Might as well put Fast and Furious 7 (which had excellent ratings) while you're at it

>hasn't seen 10/20
>thinks his opinion matters

Are you retarded?

>Century
>None of the classics

>Burst City
>any good?
If you're into the very specific thing that it does, yes. Japanese cyberpunk is very different to the American stuff. Mostly in that it's actually influenced by punk culture.

Burst City is like a really long and deranged punk music video montage set in a dystopic future Tokyo where punk-rockers, motorcycle rebels and government goons all go to war in the streets. The way that Ishii makes movies is probably worth seeing at least once. I personally think that there are at least a few Japanese cyberpunk movies that are worth a viewing though.

Did you really need 30 lines to give us 20 words worth of opinions?

Well, I'm sold. Thanks user, that sounds really interesting.

Mad Max is a Ben Hur for the 21st century in terms of spectacle. I'm not even kidding.

lmao this

>hasn't seen the top 3
>comments anyways

Memories of Murder is a lot better than Zodiac.

Funnier too.
>it's a chink police dropkicks suspects and then beats the shit out of them episode

Or

>it's the oaf with the retarded theory goes looking for shaved balls episode

>Synecdoche, New York
>not #1

>LE COOL THINGS HAPPEN AND ITS EPIC AND KOREAN SO OBSCURE

No.

Can we all agree Mad Max doesn't have a place on that list and the Tree of Life and The Act of Killing should be at the top

How do we respond to this guy Sup Forums without giving him the attention he craves?

>2 coen movies in top 20
>1 is their weakest

It's not obscure. It's a pretty well known Korean film.

It's still better than Zodiac despite your well reasoned argument.

explain why you like the movie without sounding like a pleb

It does have a place I agree with

>tree of life
Opinion discarded

>not Mad Max
It's a better film than half the things in the top 20

Ayyy

Don't worry about it. Nothing will change either way.

I've never seen it retard

Haven't seen these, what should I watch first?

A general pleb rule: if its not made in the USA, don't watch it.
You need to cultivate taste before you can enjoy these. Not even trying to insult or be elitist, only hoping to save you from wasting your time.

in the mood for love

In this order
>Holy Motors
>In the Mood for Love
>A Separation

Not a fan of White Ribbon, but I guess it just ain't for me, so don't hold this as gospel.
4,3,2 is pleb-tier garbage, don't bother.
Never seen Yi Yi, but I will do today

In order of ascending quality IMO
>Holy Motors
>4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
>White Ribbon
>A Separation
>In the Mood for Love
>Yi Yi

Memories of Murder

Whenever someone says he enjoys 4,3,2 I want to strangle him.

Dazed and Confused is a great movie and that barely has any plot.

OK.

I wouldn't call it great, but I liked it. Saved by the characters tho. As I said, I like Lebowski, so there is something about Llewin Davis that just doesn't jive with me.

I've been in almost every thread about this list and whenever someone mentions Boyhood all I see is people going S'BOOOOOOOOOOORING or that the kid ended up as a "douchebag".
Hear it all the time in real life too, sadly.
Sucks that half of the movie watching population of earth will never check their biases before enjoying one of the most subtle and textured movies of the last 20 years.
Makes for a richer environment to talk about the movie with so many opinions, but it's just sad.

>inb4 12 years meme

>No Gladiator

>No Black Hawk Down

Get out

dad?

Overall as a top 100 it's pretty good, but of course they had to shove the most popular ones to the top.
Here's a better top 20 imo, made from that list, in no particular order. I haven't seen 13 of the 100 though.

Dogville (Lars von Trier, 2003)
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003)
The Turin Horse (Béla Tarr and Ágnes Hranitzky, 2011)
Syndromes and a Century (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2006)
Werckmeister Harmonies (Béla Tarr, director; Ágnes Hranitzky, co-director, 2000)
Ida (Paweł Pawlikowski, 2013)
Tropical Malady (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004)
Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami, 2010)
Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012)
The New World (Terrence Malick, 2005)
City of God (Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund, 2002)
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2010)
Timbuktu (Abderrahmane Sissako, 2014)
Talk to Her (Pedro Almodóvar, 2002)
Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman, 2008)
The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2012)
Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

Aunt?

I honestly feel like rating art numerically is just stupid. They should have just made a list of films voted as the most significant of the 21st century so far.

>inception
>dark knight
>finding nemo
>ratatouille
>wall-e
>inglorious basterds
>the social network
>FUCKING AMELIE
>hurt locker

Top choices there lads, keep it up. Next time put Interstellar, GotG and The Conjuring too.

>all films from 2000s
Shit list

>list jam packed with pleb shit
>massive contrarian no1 to offset

worst list I've seen in a while

The most significant are the ones that made most money (Avatar), started a big trend (Dark Knight), or otherwise entered popular culture (Frozen).
Significance, or influence, is not a good way to measure mastery, since much of absolute mastery requires mastery to recognize, and thus will never be of great influence to the majority of people.

?

Amelie is a good movie. People seem to forget how much garbage was released in less than two decades. When you narrow everything down to 100 films some will seem like they're lesser quality than others.

why do people like you even exist

There Will Be Blood should be number one.
Followed by Mulholland Drive and The Assassination of Jesse James.

To be honest I can't believe The Assassination of Jesse James isn't in the top 20.

>shitlist

lmao

>le critic

zero dark thirty

>top 100 films of the 2000s
>WAAAH SO MANY FILMS FROM THE 2000s

There Will Be Blood is greatly overrated because of a few overacted scenes and all the Americana stuff.

Inception should be #1 to be honest.

its overrated because of that stuff or you think that stuff makes it overarted?

American imperialism wankery is always well rated, what do you expect?

Fuck off it's manic pixie girl garbage French shit. If they were handing out handmade purses and fedoras as you left the theater it couldn't be more hipster shit.

It is overrated because of that stuff.
Its a good movie, but not the best movie of the century, or even close.
People give it too much credit. I feel for it like I do for a music album with 2 great songs and a bunch of mediocre filler.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I never understood how people think it's fine to rate the likes of Tarr, Weerasethakul, Malick, Lynch on a regular 1 to 10 scale, when they don't even conform to regular mainstream filmmaking norms and techniques in the first place.

>no Herzog in this

Critics should just off themselves.

It's the top 100 films of the century, not necessarily the 2000s.

Yeah, Bad Lieutenant should've been top 3.

>Boyhood

MUH 12 YEARS

Call it top critically acclaimed films of the 21st century or something. What makes Mulholland Drive number 1 on one list and number 2 on another? It's meaningless.