Where they really good, or were they just edgy johnny-come-latelies? They didn't even release a song until 1979...

Where they really good, or were they just edgy johnny-come-latelies? They didn't even release a song until 1979, and by that time punk had already seen multiple releases from bands like the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Misfits, the Saints, and the Clash. Post-Punk was already a thing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I18ZUEQxFiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VsW7FOnRfZA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9qLzarIFE
youtube.com/watch?v=TGH0KttpTdE
youtube.com/watch?v=2j1lTkWNMI4
youtube.com/watch?v=Ywllw3Oidx0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They were posers. Jello is the most annoying and pretentious bastard in punk history. I can't even stand the sound of his voice. He thinks he's so much smarter than everybody else.

Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, etc. were coattail riders to Suicide, the Seeds, the Stooges, the Velvets, and the Fugs

suicide commandos > dead redditors

Much of the myth-making around Dead Kennedys happened well after the band broke up.
They were actually considered to be quite lame by quite a few people during their "heyday".

The Ramones weren't coat-tailing anybody.

They were much better musicians and songwriters than the vast majority of punk bands.

That's an extremely narrow view of punk. The DKs were incredibly important to hardcore punk in the early 80s.

If a bunch of spoiled rich, liberal, Reddit-browsing, Rick & Morty fans formed a punk band, it would be Dead Kennedys

Agreed, I went to a Jello Biafra spoken word show like 10 years ago and it was fucking awful. Just a rambling asshole, and of course the 14 year olds in the audience ate that shit up cause he TRU PUNX

Though they did come in after many punk bands had already made their first few releases, they added a kind of freshness to punk that no one had really heard before.So ,in my opinion, they're "really good"

Except DK were anti liberal leftists from a poor part of San Francisco, pre gentrification

This

you have no idea what you're talking about

just the sex pistols and the clash. ramones took strong influence from vu and alan vega from suicide came up to the ramones after a show telling them how much he appreciated their music

Christgau got it right.

>Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables [I.R.S., 1980]
>I do want there to be more punk rock--I do, I do. I do want there to be more left-wing new wave--really. By Americans--I swear it. But not by a would-be out-of-work actor with Tiny Tim vibrato who spent the first half of the '70s concocting "rock cabaret." Admittedly, I'm guessing, but I'm also being kind--it sounds like Jello Biafra discovered the Stooges in 1977.
>C+

If a bunch of sweaty, overweight, basement dwelling, Sup Forums-browsing, anime-watchers formed a band, it would be the dead kennedies

kill the poor is in the aeroplane over the sea

Neither of you understand the speed at which non mainstream movements happened pre internet

And more to the point, who was 'first' doesn't mean a fucking thing. The band's you both listed are different enough no one was ripping anyone off, they just had similarities and in some cases inspired and worked of each other.

calling DK 'johnny come latelies' just shows how out of touch you are with what was really going on

I feel bad that Jello is such a sad contrarian now, but at the time he was at least a very clever satirist. It's not like his vision of the world amounted to anything useful, but he was smart and funny.

Oingo Boingo tried to be darkly satirical in a similar way, but they're lyrics are mostly just dumb and obnoxious.

>And more to the point, who was 'first' doesn't mean a fucking thing.
especially when the west coast was pretty much the last place to have any sort of punk scene

I'm pretty sure we would form the Misfits. They were a bunch of poor nerdy losers.

>tfw still not as handsome as danzig

Danzig is 5'3 though, so I'm not really jealous.

>tfw almost a foot taller than him
I want to pet his head

They were in hardcore punks prime, have you listen to In God We Trust Inc. or Plastic surgery Disasters?

t. "being conservative is the true punk!" punks

worked for Lee Ving but literally no one else

Misfits is such poser hot-topic surface level "punk" it makes my head spin

>original punk band
>poser
yeah because whining about politics is so original. go home jello.

>original punk band

What part of recycling rockabilly for Halloween is supposed to be original?

The Misfits are by far the best thing to come out of that initial blast of 70s US punk.
Though I always preferred their later, harsher material and the stuff Glenn did with Samhain to the widely agreed-upon classic albums.

youtube.com/watch?v=I18ZUEQxFiQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VsW7FOnRfZA

youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9qLzarIFE
youtube.com/watch?v=TGH0KttpTdE

misfits sounds nothing like rockabilly though. except for american nightmare.

Everything with Danzig is legitimately good. Everything after is Hot Topic shit.

>Misfits
>Rockabilly
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Listen to shit like London Dungeon. It almost sounds like post-punk. I could seriously hear Joy Division or Siouxsie & The Banshees covering that song.

How can it be Hot Topic shit if Hot Top wasn't even around yet.

Uhh, the Ciafra's came from serious money. Their dad was the owner of some major knife company.

Do people even listen to bands? How could you ask if DK was good? East Bay Ray is a fucking god.

they were though.

everything with jerry on vocals is bargain bin hot topic shit
youtube.com/watch?v=2j1lTkWNMI4

>East Bay Ray is a fucking god.
Klaus Fluoride is too.

Skip > Jello
Deal with it

It was around but it didn't have the "poseur scene id" rep that it has now. Hot Topic sold out in the 2000's along with Warped Tour.

True, Jerry really sucks at vocals and the writing got worse, Graves was fantastic though. youtube.com/watch?v=Ywllw3Oidx0

The best Graves-era songs are Dig Up Her Bones, Walk Among Us, Saturday Night, Scream, and Lost In Space.

They were surf punk, honestly.

and Dust to Dust, seriously underrated song.

I think american psycho might actually be my second favorite misfits album behind static agfe

Whatever people might think about The DKs from what I see happening in the U.S. Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables has once again become relevant.