Has anyone else done a complete 180 on this album...

Has anyone else done a complete 180 on this album? From thinking it was pretty good to thinking it was overrated and entry-level tier to thinking it's by far the very best the genre has to offer. Now that my taste has vastly expanded, every time I listen to this album now I'm just amazed at the musicianship and song structure. Aggressive without being obnoxious or alienating and emotional without being overly sentimental. Now I'm not some kind of metal expert, I've heard all the essentials and then some, so I would like some input from people who are more into the genre. I can't help but notice the vast difference in quality between this and other metal albums.

anthrax >

Most metal fans go through a path where Metallica is one of the bands that gets them into it, to disliking them for a long time, and then coming back to them years later and realizing just how brilliant their early work is.

i like kill em all more

It's a good album

personally, i put it on the same level as rust in peace, symbolic, paranoid, etc: classic-tier
how would you rank it compared to those?

It's pretty average imo, I really dislike the vocals so that kinda ruins Metallica for me, though the title track is undeniably a great song.

I find it really boring. It's just too long for the amount of interesting ideas it has and is riddled with filler.

>listening to metal

t. indie/hip-hop listening nu-male

But thats a 360, user.

I'm turning 360 degrees and walking out of this thread.

There are no fillers in this album

Ride the Lightning's the superior album, anyways.

MoP is, was and always will be "Diet Ride the Lightning".

I never disliked Metallica, never loved them either.

Something about Ride the Lightning is too conventionally '80s metal' sounding which dates it pretty heavily. Escape is just an awful song and Call of Ktulu tests my patience. As an album MoP just works better. The experimentation, tighter musicianship and more refined production and song structure is what turns MoP into a must-listen, regardless what genres you prefer. The same thing can't be said about Ride the Lightning which still has some great songs but is too conventional and doesn't really offer any surprises.

I'm still at the part when I think it's complete shit

my phase of metal

>love it
>okay with it
>love it
>hate it
>okay with it
>mutual respect

What will the next step be?

i listened to this one on acid once and it was 11/10. sober it's a 9.5

Indifference

>From thinking it was pretty good to thinking it was overrated and entry-level tier to thinking it's by far the very best the genre has to offer.
Yes, precisely that.

I hadn't given MoP a serious listen since I was a teenager until a few years ago when the NWOTHM thing started happening and I got back into some of the records I had kinda classified as dated.

I was just blown away at how fucking perfect it is.

Not me. The tracks on MoP are way too long with too few changes in them to justify such long lengths of repetition. Compared to their peers, their riffs lack rhythmic variety and visceral intensity with only I think Slayer that relies straight up this much open more chugging. James' vocals get even more tame than the previous records with no expansion in actual vocal range. Kirk's formulaic soloing wouldn't be a problem if it didn't take up so much space on each track. While I would otherwise appreciate the whole "we don't play as fast as the other bands do but we got heavier grooves" thing that not only MoP but most of their records go for, the band's historically fantastic bassists are paired with goddamn Lars Ulrich who 9 times out of 10 will always maintain a straightforward drum beat rather than anything that supplements the other parts.

I do periodically try to listen to them here and there. It's also bound to happen since Metallica's my friend's favorite band and ultimately the only non-stoner, non-trad metal I can play around most family/friends. But I can hear every time why I am not super into the band. Topics like this make me wonder why people initially disliked them just to get back into them later.

>Something about Ride the Lightning is too conventionally '80s metal' sounding which dates it pretty heavily
I agree, especially the title track is as period as it gets.

Sanitarium and Orion are god tier but the rest of the album i find kind of boring. Ride the Lighting is way better imo

the thing that should not be is fucking great too