Hey Sup Forums, are there any other atheists that wish they were religious...

Hey Sup Forums, are there any other atheists that wish they were religious? I mean that in terms of how nice it would feel to have confidence in a god and faith. I wish I could feel like my problems are just part of a greater plan that god has for me.

The problem is, I just can't force myself to believe in religion. I have depression, PTSD, and general anxiety (I can elaborate if you're interested). I feel like if I was religous I could use my faith to motivate myself. Do any of you have any experience with this?

Open to advice and questions.
Also, general feels thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I was religious. Converted to Atheism. Tried going to church but hate it.

Elaborate a little more user.

I used to go to church with my grandparents, but it was all in spanish (parents and grandparents didn't teach me) so I didn't understand it. I know a good bit about religion, which is why I don't believe in it.

About the mental issues, I was molested for a while when I was a kid and It's just had a lot of negative long term effects on me. I'm in therapy but I don't feel like I'm making and progress and I've been with this therapist for almost a year.

being religious (or ascribing to anything similar) and enjoying it (at least, in my experience and observation) comes down to faith. If you don't have faith in your creedo, you are wasting your time. Forcing yourself to be "religious" doesn't help anything. If you don't know of anything that inspires faith/commitment/awe in your very being, don't waste your time with it, look for something else. Look for what answers your questions about life, what makes you feel like you have value. Beware of hypocrites and fanatics, both are terrible. Stay safe, and I hope you find something worth believing in.

I too miss the blissful ignorance of religion

when you believe in god you can excuse any evil as part of gods plan or eventually evening out somehow

I try to find people that motivate me, but I'm incredible paranoid that everyone is out to manipulate me and use me, so I end up either distancing myself to the point of frustration, or doing what I'm afraid of to them.

>inb4 edgy retard thinks he's cool and smart

That's exactly how I feel summed up.

it makes me feel horrible to know that it is my responsibility to look out for humanity since no god is watching, but I cant possibly help all of humanity since I am not a god

I think you should occupy your time with something like boxing or getting out to job. Start a routine, eat regularly, drink water and get some sleep.

Some good advice user. Thank you.

*jog

Even though I am religious, I have never understood those who believe every little thing is "God's plan". Its a strange, infuriating dogma that seems to be a ready-made excuse so that they don't have to get up and do something about the crap state of the world.

I believe that the main purpose of the world is freewill, and we are judged on what we do with our freedom. If I don't do something with my freedom to make the world better, what use am I?

gr@[email protected]

Try meds and keep going to the psychologist or fond a new one. Dude, 1 years isnt enough to undo extreme trauma. Its takes dedication, serious psychological help and possible the right med(s) and even time to start fixing things. Its not like you have ocd, you have (you said) PTSD and depression. Thats a bit more serious. As for the religion thing, we live and we die and the meaning of life is what we make it. We are like any other animal on this rock. We arent special, we just are a more evolved beings than animals.

I want to be healthy, and I appear healthy, but I'm actually fairly underweight. I get that routines and exercise are good for me, but it all comes down the the motivation again.

I play a lot of video games, and it helps to distract me, but I suppose I could try to find something else that could be more productive to occupy myself with.

Discipline>motivation

I'm on medication right now, and I don't know how common this is, but I have literally felt no change in anything while taking it. Granted it is a small dose.

Organized religion tends to distract you from the importance of the bible and its message. If you want true faith, forget about church and take 6 months to read the bible. Don't be discouraged if things dont make sense at first, but if you keep determined to find the truth, you will. The bible is made up of 66 books written by around 40 people over the space of about 3000 years. There is no other book that has been attacked so much but yet is the most available book worldwide. Some people will claim that its fake or stupid ect... but the bible doesn't need defending. Read it and you'll understand.
Good luck to you, my fellow truth seeking user

Agreed

are you actually diagnosed with PTSD depression and anxiety by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist?

I'm not sure I would call what I'm going through "truth seeking," but I get how majorities can manipulate and skew the original intent of something. Not the get political, but Black Lives Matter is in my opinion a very very prominent example.

which bible? its been updated and rewritten so many times!

i like the new testament but the old testament is out f date and unsuited for our times

btw im an athiest

Yeah, man.
I did an approximately 4 hour psychological evaluation.

You could be a preacher user. I wish I could preach but I'm a degenerate. I least I'm not a cuck tho

user, I'm not religious but there is this religious immigrant girl that I met and I really really like her. She says that everything that happens in her life is god's will. She's actually illegal here in the US (inb4 u hv to go back) and can't drive, speak enough English or manage to succeed at a job because of both of those things. I've taken it upon myself to literally help her in as much as I possibly can by driving her to places including work and church for a very small fee, helping her learn English and assisting her with communicating at work more effectively. I even looked up information about immigration and how she can hopefully attain legal status, even went as far as to look up lawyers for her to speak to.

Gently I've cucked myself into being someone's bitch.
But instead of ever saying thank you or realizing that I'm literally backpacking her most of the way, all she says is that it's gods will.

I have no problems with religion, but how can someone that claims to walk with god be so...blind.

Life sucks, and this world is a nightmare.

The reason people seek religion is because they are too afraid of this truth to acknowledge it soberly.

You should be proud to not be a mindless sheep.

It is true that the bible has been 'updated' over the years, and some translations have even added or removed entire books. While the language has been changed, the vast majority of bibles still hold gods message. Its very important to check the translation methods of the bible you want to read, as some are clearer then others. Good examples are King james verson, New world translation, American standard.
Also, i understand what you mean about the old testament being 'outdated'. Being the promised messiah, jesus reformed true worship so it was achievable for all people worldwide instead of just tribal judah but there are definitely lessons we can learn from the Israelites. Although not 100% applicable to Christians today, its still a very important part of the bible

Do you get to fuck the shit out of her? Please say yes. And also, is she Mexican specifically? I hate illegal Latinos, as i am a legal one

Odin All Father asks that you defend the folk. Your beliefs are your own problem.

Nope. I'm telling you man, I've become her bitch. Don't like the truth, but there it is, not even going to lie. But, and I know I'm going to come off as the biggest gaping faggot here, but I'm a sentimental asshole, and the reason I do it isn't just because I like the broad but because I legit want to help out someone in need.

But what kills me is the "god's will" thing. Not trying to put myself on the level with your god and shit, but respectfully it's my will that's making shit happen for a bitch.

And she's from Honduras. Some of her family got killed by the gangs down there.

Dude, let me tell you something that may change your view on life.

Atheism: A belief that says that nothing happened to nothing and nothing happened to nothing at nothing during nothing. Suddenly, nothing turned into everything, and with time, those bits of everything arranged themselves and turned into dinosaurs.

Christianity: mumbling to the ceiling
Judaism: mumbling to the wall
Islam: mumbling to the floor.

You dont need religion to be a good person. You dont need to believe you are a random piece of fucking stardust to be a good person. You create your own path, you believe in yourself, because you have a soul, and your soul is trapped in your flesh and you should do what you do best to geel good about yourself. Your soul is you, and youe soul is literally Life Fuel . . .

because your fucking soul is God. We are all God. We are all the same.

Just be a Christian, archetypically. Roughly speaking.

Sir, I have family from Honduras. I beg of you, do not believe her. My half sisters are all tremendous whores and they play the nice girl act to gain the attention/money/support of decent human beings. That is all I can say. The gang situation is real but I doubt what she says is. I could be wrong but I see this happen a lot with illegal Latino women.

Man, I've literally wondered and suspected the same thing. But this girl legit gets shaken up when she talks to me about it. She's told others what happened but she'll only open up to me about it and it takes a lot to get it out.

Plus she is like a hardcore Pentecostal. I mean, I used to be religious but been out for like 8-10 years. We talk hardcore about the Bible and she knows her shit. Even quotes shit by memory. She's defended her faith despite me throwing out some heavy questions. She just doesn't fit the bill of a liar, at least to that kind of degree.

Bit of a hypocrite sometimes tho.

OP here, thanks for all the responses.
It's nice to see how other people think as far as religion in a non-hostile way.
I'm gonna try and get myself to become a lot better. Thanks, Sup Forumsros. -OP

(I'm still lurking and will respond, I just figured I'd say that.)

I see. My only concern is with her being illegal. My dad was relatively well off and it took him 12 years to get me to come to Canada legally. That's a decade in the third world. What I'm trying to say is that it is not easy even when you have papers and come from a good family. Most of the people that I knew back home that crossed the border illegally were not good people. They were often lazy, scammers, or just people that were exiled. If she was legal I'd say you found an angel. Sorry to sound so cynical

>no god/gods
>make life what you want faggot
>SCIENCE BITCHES
youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I&t