Doctor Who General - /WHO/

Moff On Moff Edition.

He fumbled the series 9 opener:
cinemablend.com/television/1528439/what-steven-moffat-regrets-most-about-doctor-who-season-9

The Beast Below was quite a mess:
youtube.com/watch?v=h7VQrnMzjrU

The Bells Of St John was his most average episode:
denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/43193/doctor-who-steven-moffat-names-the-bells-of-saint-john-his-most-reliably-average-episode

The New Paradigm Daleks were a mistake:
radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-15/doctor-who-boss-steven-moffat-admits-the-colourful-new-paradigm-daleks-were-a-mistake

Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

saberpunk.net/DoctorWho/DoctorWhoSerialGenerator.php
glyphobet.net/drwho
games.usvsth3m.com/drwho/
youtube.com/watch?v=xEuV_PGG9EU
obversebooks.co.uk/product/a-target-for-tommy/
youtube.com/watch?v=K9zWuklil8g
youtube.com/watch?v=Zs44RBK-FcM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is he right?
Yes. As usual.

i hope once he's out of the job he can be even more blunt

How would you make the Daleks scary again?

I'd have them go to a maternity ward and murder every baby there as a form of resistanceless ethnic cleansing .

edgy isn't the same thing as scary

>le edgy
They are literally genetically engineered to hate all other beings, it's not edgy to portray the actualities of that.

>it's not edgy to write an episode where the daleks slaughter babies
ok. it's not interesting or particularly clever either.

Kill a companion.
Suddenly, and permanently. They don't even get a goodbye.

Good post.

I didn't say have it be it's own episode. I mean have it as a facet of an invasion.

They did it pretty well in District 9. There's a scene where a next of alien baby eggs is found and promptly burnt. I think you can hear the screaming and see some bereft parents.It's amazingly effective in the film, but then again, it's mostly due to the tone and setting the movie had set by that point.
Baby murdering doesn't gel well with current Who.

>He fumbled the series 9 opener:
>The Beast Below was quite a mess:
>The Bells Of St John was his most average episode:
>The New Paradigm Daleks were a mistake:
Moff confirmed for good taste, if not always good writing.

I want to like the paradigm daleks, but I don't.

Yes. Although he doesn't say the opener was bad. It wasn't. Just that there was nothing "new" to hook people.

That was probably RTD posting on /who/.

That fucking guitar/le achronistic tank was pure cancer. Had to check the DVD player hadn't started playing Sarah Jane adventures.

Get over yourself.

You're right but for some reason /who/ seems to love shit like that when it comes to Capaldi. Although SJA was good.

I very rarely physically cringe at a show but that was painful to watch. I wouldn't have minded had it been something relevant like "I taught this one village advanced farming techniques and the basis of industry" but it was literally just "i taught them to say dood xDxD"

That was the worse I've ever seen this show and I've seen love and monsters.

/who/ just loves Capaldi because of how shit Smith was. He couldn't hold a candle to anyone not 10 or 11.

>I wouldn't have minded had it been something relevant like "I taught this one village advanced farming techniques and the basis of industry"

>I wouldn't have minded had it been something relevant like "I taught this one village advanced farming techniques and the basis of industry"
But that would alter history you mong.

That's why it's so weird. Because riding tanks, wearing epic sunglasses, etc., is like the worst aspects of 11 but increased. I like Capaldi, but liking him doesn't mean you have to defend some of the shitty scenes too.

He was driving in a tank, he was always going to alter history doing that, now they'll have horse drawn cannons in the middle ages, changing warfare forever.

Also, he was trying to be anachronistic, that was the point.

I wasn't the one defending that shit, infact I'm the one saying how shit it is.

>/who/ presents:
DOCTOR WHO: SHIT TRIPS Vol. 1
- The Anthology -

>Are you a true fan of Doctor Who?
>Have you ever written down a sequence of words?

If the answer is yes or no, then you are ready to contribute a literary masterpiece to the first ever /who/ collection of original Doctor Who-based short fiction.
/who/ is finally making its unique mark in an age-old tradition of p̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶f̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶g̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶e̶g̶i̶t̶i̶m̶a̶c̶y̶ / celebrating the magic of Who and the talent of a community.

There are no limits (except the story must be at least 1 word long, and preferably not in excess of 10,000, it's short fiction you fuck).

>- Can involve any Doctor(s), companion(s), side characters, spinoff characters and beyond, as your heart desires
>- Can be in any style, whether it's "legitimate writing", "pisstake", or "shitpost".
>- Can be about absolutely anything
>- The main focus is on good fun in the vein of the wiki, although serious entries are allowed. (If you're going to write smut, maybe approach it with a degree of levity)

Stuck for ideas? Try starting with your favourite TARDIS team (or for timeliness, 12/Clala) and one of these authentic titles:
saberpunk.net/DoctorWho/DoctorWhoSerialGenerator.php
glyphobet.net/drwho
And free scenario prompts:
games.usvsth3m.com/drwho/

We have started an index on the wiki for the collection. Anyone can contribute, no signups/pitches required. If you have ideas, feel free to broadcast them. There is always room for more.
The rest is self-explanatory. Format for uploading your work is up to you, as long as it can be conveniently copied across (and ideally don't dump long texts in /who/ directly). Pastebin is a popular choice, though.

Anyone who wants to do illustrations or comics is encouraged.

Remember, it doesn't have to be good. Just have fun

I know?

>vampire nyssa will never suck you dry
what a shitty existence

E N D I T
N
D

I
T

I thought your last statement
>I like Capaldi, but liking him doesn't mean you have to defend some of the shitty scenes too.
Was directed at me, not a general statement on peoples' opinions of Capaldi

Just watched Black orchid, that was depressing as fuck. Poor George.

moff got good again this season

it was very very shit during matt smith and all that stupid shit with river and amy. now its back to being fun and not stupid dark and gay.

How is that the "worst aspects of 11 but increased"? What are the worst aspects of 11?
It was just one silly scene. Not like he did that the whole season.

Series 6 was the worst cancer ever. Series 7 had elements of it but series 6, was literally "im so smart xDxD bet you didn't see THIS *teleports behind you* *throws curveball* heh, nuthin personnel, kid"

>What are the worst aspects of 11?
The "bowties/fezzes/whatever are cool XD" nonsense, or scenes that try to depict him as some bad ass. The latter is bad for any Doctor really.

>It was just one silly scene. Not like he did that the whole season.
I know. Luckily the rest of the season was pretty good and Capaldi is obviously great.

SJA

>Whatever Happened to Sarah Jane?
Wonderful. Better than anything Gareth Roberts wrote for Doctor Who. So Sarah Jane's friend who died when they were kids makes a deal with the devil to swap places with her and let Sarah die instead. I like how Andrea manages to come off as sympathetic despite doing so many horrible things. Of course, it's not like the episode ever suggests she's in the right. Besides the fact that SJS is the main character, the whole "a meteor is going to destroy the Earth and Sarah has to be alive to stop it" thing kind of stacks the deck against her. But you can understand why she acted to save her own life.

>The Lost Boy
AH YES, MOTHERFUCKING K-9. Alright finale overall. I saw one of the twists coming a mile away (it's the Slitheen... again) but Mr. Smith turning evil was okay. I kind of wish Mr. Smith hadn't stayed around at the end. I like the image of Sarah Jane as a concerned citizen who solves crimes with nothing but her own wit and determination and that's kind of ruined by her having an omniscient computer. Granted, that's basically the role K-9 would serve if he were a regular but K-9 is way cooler than Mr. Smith. Also, how pathetic is it that she named her computer Mr. Smith? That's like if I called my iphone Mrs. user. But yeah, decent episode.
>tfw you will never be a lonely middle aged woman who adopts a qt twink and hangs out with his friends and finally feel like you have a family
>tfw you will never feel like you have a family

Silence/River arc really polluted over Smith's run.

Capaldi is lucky all of his stuff has been contained in seasons.

>watching a spin off of a family show oriented specifically at children
Is this what your ancestors wanted?

what a legend

>not watching the best DW spinoff

>what is children of earth

>he says while posting on a hieroglyphic tablet for Vietnamese children's cartoons

The Doctor's been a crafty rusemeister since Seven though

1 season of a spinoff

Not really, the Doctor spent half of the series trying to figure out what his companions already knew and the other half coming to terms with the inevitable. It was only The Wedding of River Song where he developed an escape plan, which of course he had to.

>le your daughter is this time lady i knew because the tardis gives space power oh no heres winston churchill it's the wrong year the egyptian kang silence is marrying river song!!!
I just want that shit erased from my memory forever.

The arc became convoluted and stupid and everyone basically predicted everything before it happened.

I think he's talking about the arc. Not the Doctor.

>Finally getting back into Doctor Who after a year
>Memories of the fandom all come rushing back
>Finally able to notice more flaws in the Moffat era

Fuck.

I left in 2011 and have been slowly coming back since 2014.

Agreed. Series 6 was awful.
Shame Matt's era got worse as Matt got better in the role.

That must be one hell of the culture shock.

I don't understand your post?

I meant I left as in I just stopped caring because the stories didn't make sense foe the longest time and when they were revealed there was no point to leaving the viewer clueless for months (series 6 was split, so I had literally no idea what was happening for dozens of weeks.) I never stopped watching but I hated it all the time I was watching.

reminder chris "i've never written a good episode before" chibnall is taking over soon

He's written good episodes of other shows

can't wait

>Dinosaurs on a Spaceship isn't good

>not liking 75% of Power of Three

Fark off.

Eccleston
McCoy
Hartnell
T. Baker
Pertwee
Troughton
McGann
Capaldi
C. Baker
Davison
Tennant
Smith

you know im right

go to bed eccles

>Davison that low
>Pertwee that high

>Smith that low
>McCoy that high
fuck off

>smith was good
>mccoy was bad

Yup.

youtube.com/watch?v=xEuV_PGG9EU
APOLOGISE

Guys, you're losing your chance to buy the ebook of A Target For Tommy. It's another charity Doctor Who anthology, and it has all the Doctors, plus Senor 105. It's gonna be gone soon! Buy it for 8.00 dollars (5.99 pounds), and help pay to save a man's life:

obversebooks.co.uk/product/a-target-for-tommy/

Why did you list the the British currency when it's 03:56 in Britain?

Because the site lists it in British currency.

Tom Baker impressionist interviewing Tom Baker, take a look at 2:30.
youtube.com/watch?v=K9zWuklil8g

youtube.com/watch?v=Zs44RBK-FcM

Someone should tell Colin he made #8 on a list!

Guys, unban me pls. I was just bantzing.

Poor Colin. They're not wrong.

Well okay, since you asked nicely.

colin baker was white and based

Thanks. I'm missing Peladon as we speak.

>have him attack his companion, it will be interesting for the fans to see how regeneration can go wrong
>no the fans will love it

My username is still banned?

Yeah I was just pulling your leg m8. Sorry.

I'm still banned.

Fun2, come on. You know I was joking.

I left /who/ when it was filled with whatposting, what happened to you?

What did you say to get banned?

He attempted to solicit a janitor using hotpockets.

that's literally not him. he never comes here anymore. stop being a fkin goober.

also I removed the ban yeesh

/who/ trying to scare away the boogeyman was great times, man.

What?

>Davison that low

He was shit and you know it. He was a proto-Tennant.

At least it was justified when Davison moped.

So fucking Adric counts but Rose doesn't?

>insulting based fivey by comparing him to 10

>He was a proto-Tennant.
1. Not a bad thing
2. Davison > Tennant as an actor

Adric was a child in his care, whom he willingly took away from his home. He died.

Rose was just the closest warm body. She was an adult when she left with the Doctor, and is alive and well in a parallel universe which, let's be honest, he could totally go to anytime he liked if he actually wanted to.

meant for

>implying the Doctor ever moped over Adric
>implying anyone moped over Adric, either in the show or in real life

>proto Tennant
Your only saying it because he started the cute faced doctor trend

Exactly. Five got his shit done and didn't stop the show to talk about how sad he was. He handled his shit like more of an adult than his older self did.

I mean, there can't have been more than 7 years between them, it's not like Adric was sucking his thumb or Rose cashing her pension.

And didn't it burn up an entire sun or something just to speak for 2 minutes?

>1. Not a bad thing

>eccleston that high