Remember that time when Bowie sold out...

Remember that time when Bowie sold out, and self admittedly made an album that appealed to the lowest common denominator to make money?

I despise this album for what it is and what it represents

Most of your favorite artists are deeply concerned with making money and don't really care about the craft. Turn 18 and this will become apparent

>I despise this album for what it is and what it represents

so did he.

it's annoying as a fan of his music but believe me he had his reasons
not the least of which was revenge against his old manager

i should be clear, it wasn't just revenge, it was compensating for getting fucked in the ass financially for years relative to what he should have made

I know, I understand business and music. I'm 22, dickfuck. But I still have the right to think this album's shitty because it is. He went from releasing 5 classics or at least great albums in a row to releasing this spoonfed garbage.

Yeah. He thinks it's shit too, but it was a good decision for himself and doesn't take away from the amazing body of work that led up to it.

I guess so. Good for him. He deserves it for making so many classics.

Let's Dance wasn't even bad. It's just Bowie screwing around with dance music in the same way he screwed around with blue-eyed soul in Young Americans. Pic related is a billion times worse.

This too. As far as blatantly selling out goes, Let's Dance is pretty good within that framework anyway. The next two were genuinely shit records, not just a disappointing direction from a good artist.

Let's Dance is bad. The only good song was Modern Love, but the album is only a vehicle for the singles. Even then I hate the singles like China Girl (Iggy Pop's version is 10000x better), and Let's Dance.

Of course Never Let me Down was liquid shit, but I think Tonight isn't actually that bad. I think it's his best post-Scary Monsters album, and that isn't saying much

"Tonight" even has some guilty pleasures on it. Blue Gene is schlock, but it's catchy. "Absolute Beginners" was on the playlist at my wedding

it's a decent Nile Rogers record

The reggae music on there is fucking shit though

Well, yeah, i'm not going to argue that. But he wasn't afraid to give it a try. That was a big part of his genius - never being afraid of looking ridiculous

>reggae music is fucking shit
ftfy

Tonight actually has like two good songs.

There's nothing really wrong with making deliberately commercial music. No one has a mandate to be challenging or difficult and any decent artist should be able to do one or the other without any trouble. But Never Let Me Down blows by any standard.

problem with Bowie is inconsistency, that's the reason he is never mentioned as the best brittish arists of all time when faced with names like The Smiths and The Beatles

some albums are amazig ( looking at you Ziggy and Scary Monsters) and others are dogshit

Huh? Of course he is, he only has three bad albums really, self titled, Tonight and NLMD. He even dislikes Tonight and NLMD apart from Loving The Alien, called it his Phil Collins years.

Pin Ups? Hours?

>Phil Collins years

heh, never heard that. It's pretty good assessment, desu

Wasn't pin-ups a cover album? That doesn't count.

Pin ups is a cover album and I actually think Hours is great. Survive, Thursdays Child and The Dreamers are some of his best songs.

Can't find the videos atm but he's mentioned phil collins a couple of times:

"Of the 26 albums I've made I think there were two when I really wasn't involved and that was "Tonight" and "Never Let Me Down", the two follow-ups to "Let's Dance". That period was my Phil Collins years."

"There was a period when I was performing in front of these huge stadium crowds and at that time I was thinking 'what are these people doing here? Why did they come to see me? They should be seeing Phil Collins', they were definitely Phil Collins type audiences, you know. And then that came back at me and I thought 'What am *I* doing here? I should be playing to people who don't look like they've come to see Phil Collins!"

To be honest I'd be perfectly happy if I got to see Bowie and Phil Collins perform together. Bowie's certainly better creatively, but Phil's fun

Maybe Live-Aid '85 if we had a time machine.

his least angsty album

reminder, p diddy sampled lets dance, pretty heavily

>aims to make a full on dance record influenced by his favourite R&B artists growing up
>ditches arguably the greatest rhythm section in the world in favour of relatively inexperienced rookies
>the end product is vapid pop music fueled by his desire for Chic-like hits and nowhere near the original vision of a Young Americans re-imagining
>ended up causing a creative downward spiral that robbed the world of 10 years of quality output

Fuck this album