France

Is this the only "relevant" country that only plays one (1) sport?

>USA has four major sports, and variations of all of them
>Canada has hockey and Canadian football, and fans in baseball and basketball
>Euros obviously have futbol, but depending on where you are they have at least one other sport, like basketball in Iberia, Hockey in Scandinavia and Russia, Rugby in UK
>AUS and NZ have futbol and Aussie Rules futbol and rugby, also cricket

>France only has divegrass

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_nMUHFQo7Xw
thegoodlifefrance.com/did-the-french-invent-cricket/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

France play rugby too

rally driving probably

Basicly South (but Marseille and Saint-Étienne) and Paris

Doesn't forget cycling

This. Shut the fuck up OP, go be fat somewhere else.

competitive eating is also a sport we do well

France doesn't seem that crazy about team sports but they always have big crowds for stuff like cycling, tennis, skiing, motor racing, horse racing etc.

The love their Handball too

yeah but seriously they are mad for that sport

>Still salty

Delete this.

France plays rugby and basketball too.

there you go

Based anglo

Tennis is pretty popular there but more as a club sport. Unfortunately their topplayers are not top10 material so no one gives a shit.

Our topplayers are useless crybabies who live in Switzerland

>that moment when my teacup connects with your wine glass and two distinctive yet harmonious sounds resonate in the air as we watch the rest of the world kill itself.

E N T E N T E C O R D I A L E
N
T
E
N
T
E

C
O
R
D
I
A
L
E

What?

France is basically permaGOAT in handball, has a top 4 basketball team (though the last Olympics were not that good, but thanks fuck now Parker is gone and >we'll be able to move on and rebuild - won EC in 2013 and several medals in the last decade, though those hardly count), volleyball won a world league and a European titlle those last 2 years. Plus rugby is historically a top 4/5 team, even if the last years have been very poor, but they're on the way to recover. And ice hockey has a world 1st division team, though let's be honnest they're just in the lower-tier of the division and struggle every years to avoid relegation. I would even add all their women counterparts, but it's not like Sup Forums gives a fuck so I won't.

The fact is not many countries has so many collective sport teams in the top 4 and winning titles on a regular basis.

>convenientely forgetting the west (La Rochele, Bordeaux), the center (Clermont, Brive) and the east (Grenoble, Lyon, Bourgoin, Oyonnax...).

Also Saint-Étienne is not south, but yeah it's a football city through and through, just like Marseille.

Guess I got triggered.

>americans

so in other words france is the best at queer sports

Handball is NOT a real sport. It's a game that should be played in a school PE class.

>Canadian football
>litearlly nobody knows about it except albertan hicks

AHAHHAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

Baseball is NOT a real sport. It's a game that should be played in a school PE class.

They are good at volley, basketball, handball, rugby.

You are correct.

>relevant countries
>New Zealand listed
>

This was so gay it went all the way back to straight.

Faggot

It's true though. Baseball and handball aren't real sports.

oh, well, at least handball is sporty enough so that semi-obese fatass are not able to play it

I'm French and I practice or have practiced :

>soccer
>american football
>handball
>volleyball
>basketball
>wrestling (the way the WWE means it)
>tennis
>judo
>hockey

Sports with professional leagues or major tournaments in France :

>soccer
>women's soccer
>rugby
>handball
>volleyball
>basketball
>ice hockey
>tennis
>racing
>track and field
>cycling
>horse racing

Soccer isn't even 50% of what the sport channels broadcast. Even with La Liga, Bundesliga, EPL and UCL.

Real sports list:
Hockey
Soccer
Basketball
Tennis
Rugby
Volleyball
Racing
Track and Field
Wrestling (not WWE)
Boxing/MMA
Swimming

If your """sport"" isn't on that list it's not a real sport.

And basque pelota, va'a and parkour?

France is one of the like 3 other countries that are decent at basketball, this thread is retarded.

Tony Parker plus the rest

You're thinking of a different sport. Their Handball isn't the same as Handball in America.

>ameridumb

just check that youtube.com/watch?v=_nMUHFQo7Xw

Their lacrosse is on the rise. Will still take years or decades to rival the US and Canada though.

>and fans in baseball and basketball
> and fans in
Kek

K E K
E
k

Because other sports are irrelevant.

Canada has professional teams and athletes in Baseball and Basketball

France is essentially Englel in cycling. No Frenchman has won it since 1985.

That's pretty pathetic.

France has a couple of good young-ish riders in Pinot and Bardet but maybe they aren't on the right gear.

>american education

France had Virenque, but Festina incident has destroyed his hopes.

That's pretty much Europe in a nutshell, senpai.

You're being unfair

They drive both buses and trucks

why dont portuniggers have a second sport?

Centralisme d'etat

We had roller hockey though. Also, pretty decent at athletics in general - specially long distances.
Currently João Sousa is the best portuguese ever in tennis but no one is grasping the opportunity to promote the sport like they should

Namibia has rugby

>ignoring Quad Hockey

Pretty much only us, spaniards, italians, and argentineans play it

rugby and cycling, now fuck off you fat wanker

are you a real Namibian?

Also Parkour

cycling isn't just the tour de France. French riders win a lot of races every year

Is fencing big in France or just a meme?

Batum and Gobert are both pretty good. Then theres Diaw, Fournier.

>you just called all of saskatchewan albertans
Prepare to get your house burnt down pajeet

Toronto isn't part of Canada and not to be considered Canadian understand?

Despite the obvious bait, you put the nail on something right
France doesn't put any economical effort into sports in general. Sport culture is clearly not the same compared to other "relevant" countries as you say.

If by "big" you mean "super popular with packed arenas and everybody watch it on TV", then no, it's irrelevant.

If by "big" you mean "a powerhouse at world level", then yes it is. It's historically the sport that brought the most Olympics medals to the country, and France has for a very long time been the top dog in the sport with Italy and Russia/USSR. However, all the best maîtres d'armes have been bought by other countries (especially China) and it hurt the high level quite badly in the last decade.

Your forgetting women's basketball and handball too, they bring quite a lot of titles and medals too.
And skiing is winning a decent amount of stuff lately.

Parker has been shit for the last 2 or 3 years. France would have been actually better without him in the last Olympics.

Like Belgium

This "Qatar" team was utterly disgusting and represents everything that is wrong with modern sport.

>However, all the best maîtres d'armes have been bought by other countries (especially China)

Why do chinks always try to buy their way to success?

And by big I meant common for people to practice (not necessarily on an competitive level).

It's more common than in almost every other countries, obviously, but that doesn't really mean it's still a marginal sport compared to theother popular ones (big collective sports, or individual sports like tennis or judo that are highly popular in France).

I forgot to say that all the fencing-specific vocabulary is in French.

>Why do chinks always try to buy their way to success?

It's faster than building it from grass root. Also, fencing has several armes (sword, sabre, foil), men/women and individual/team, so they most likely saw it as "a good way to rack up medals and be high on the medals count", for national dickwaving contest. A bit like events like shooting, gymnastic or weight lifting. Also why they desperately try to bring Wushu to the Olympics.

>volleyball
>real sport

OMG...

My buddy from Rouen plays in a friendly rugby league.

Germany, Portugal and Belgium what the fuck do they play other than soccer
>inb4 korfball, ice sliding, roller blading or some shit

>a country plays a sport

i never got this shit. like, soccer is popular here, and most kids go for it becaue it's so accessable and cheap.

but i know guys who play tennis, badminton, and shit like that.

i also know a girl who plays field hockey, turns out we have a league even.

Paddy is still butthurt kek.

Germany plays handball, though they're not as good as they used to be. Basketball is growing fast too, but their NT is stagnating nowadays t.b.h.
They also have a decent volleyball team, and an ice hockey team lurking in the lower lower part of the world 1st division, like Norway, Denmark, Latvia, Ukraine, France or Kazhakstan.

Portugal, well, I don't know.

Belgium has a semi-decent basketball team at European level, but nowhere near being actually relevant.

i thought basketball was fairly popular in france

It is. Almost every school has a basket or/and a goal (handball sized).

Sports that all french people know well :

Soccer
Basketball
Tennis
Volleyball

Sports they don't entirely understand but still follow well :

Rugby
Handball
Judo
Racing

Sports they know well but don't follow :

Horse racing
Skiing
Swimming
All the track and field stuff

Sports that have their communities :

American football
Boxing
Ice Hockey
Badminton

Hockey, >we beat >you in a tournament last year.

Tennis
Bicycle racing

seriously why the FUCK don't the french play cricket?

holy fuck you are retarded.

Handball is the goat sport

Apparently Ligue 1's attendance is even lower than MLS's. It's very weird.

french are unimpressionable people

sport fanboyism is retarded anyway

Apart from Green Bay, every franchises in the US play in big cities that almost always have more than 700k or 800k inhabitants, cities that are themselves in big urban areas that can double (or more) this number.

A lot of teams in France are in cities and urban areas much smaller (around 300k or 400k, often much less than that - as an example, Guingamp urban area is barely 26k people). And the bigger urban areas like Toulouse, Lille, Bordeaux... often have several other teams in other sports, so they're facing a high concurrence.

There's also the difference in the size of the target area. A US franchise can easily target its whole state, while teams in France can easily have 2 or 3 other pro teams less than 100km away (like in Bretagne).

Also, with the pyramidal promotion/relegation system, there are many many smaller teams absolutely everywhere, and people often just go to see those teams from their own little city or village.

When you add all of those point, it starts to weight.

But it's still true that French people don't watch sport (or pay to watch sport) as much as most neighbouring countries like England or Germany, typically. We prefer spending or bucks in other stuff. As an example, France is the country that sells the most tickets for theaters in Europe, despite Germany being like 20% more populated. Same for restaurants and stuff like that.

But it's still true that French people don't watch sport (or pay to watch sport) as much as most neighbouring countries like England or Germany, typically. We prefer spending or bucks in other stuff. As an example, France is the country that sells the most tickets for theaters in Europe, despite Germany being like 20% more populated. Same for restaurants and stuff like that.
literally

>tfw too intelligent for sports

they play rugby m8

South America and the rest of Europe are the mono-sport countries

Fun fact France hold the silver medal in cricket

Truly best man sport
2nd best after water polo

I would add that sport events taking place in France are very popular among french people :
> Tour de France (even other road cycling races have a lot of fans here)
> Rolland Garros
> Le Mans

France invented cricket

thegoodlifefrance.com/did-the-french-invent-cricket/

>A letter written in 1478 to King Louis XI, also known as Louis the Prudent, mentions the word “criquet” in describing a game played in the village of Liettres, Pas de Calais.

>The letter that has started everyone pondering was sent to the king to complain about an incident in which a man was killed during a match. An early version of sporting hooliganism appears to have taken place and an onlooker watching a game of “croquet” was attacked for irritating the players by staring and a death resulted.

Nah you'll find it was the Dutch

I'm talking about soccer not football. There is no MLS team in Green Bay...and most MLS teams play in cities smaller than 700k.

DC, Orlando, Washington, Portland, Foxborough, Salt Lake City, Columbus, Pttsburgh...you get the idea.

NFL also has higher attendance than Ligue 1, but that makes sense because NFL has the highest attendance in the world. Not even the Bundessliga has so many people.

*Seattle, not Washington

And almost all of these teams have to compete with several other pro and college sports teams. MLS is only the 6th-most popular league in the country, behind NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and college football.

since you're talking about NFL attendance and stuff - do most americans really believe that the superb owl is the most viewed sporting event in the world?

not a loaded question. just wondering because the other day when NFL was on german free tv (which happens like two times a year) they made a commercial talking about the "greatest sporting event in the universe", made me kek heartily

>do most americans really believe that the superb owl is the most viewed sporting event in the world?

No. We all know that most of the world likes soccer, so naturally the World Cup and the European soccer championship are the biggest. We've all seen the immigrants wearing the Fly Emirates and Qatar shirts with Messi and Ronaldo on the back.

>they made a commercial talking about the "greatest sporting event in the universe"

That's just advertising. Greatest doesn't necessarily mean "most viewed", it's just a way to get people hyped.

I know you were talking about MLS. And all the points I exposed are true and a part of the explanation.

As for the cities you gave, all of them are in much bigger urban area. I just check and all of them are bigger than 2,5 millions people, except Salt Lake City which is just above 1 million. Washington is above 5 millions. And Foxboro is a part of the Boston urban area (4,5 millions).

Remember that France is approximately the size of Texas, and on this territory as big as Texas you'll find around 45 pro divegrass teams, 30 pro rugby teams, 36 pro basketball teams, 20 pro volleyball team, 28 pro handball teams, 12 pro hockey teams... And countless lesser division amateur teams with small attendance but that chip away the crowd for bigger teams.

Come back when you become a real country.

>what are the 6 nations

This just had to be a burger post.