I listened to this album for the first time today, and to be honest, I prefer Revolver. It's got some great highs...

I listened to this album for the first time today, and to be honest, I prefer Revolver. It's got some great highs, but it's simply inconsistent. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/album/6b7ycwe2rxq6FkaupNuGoS
mp3forum.com.ua/showtopic114291.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sure.

Yeah, just like Yellow Submarine, Good Day Sunshine and Dr Robert are great highs as well?

"Sure." as in you agree with me? or "Sure." as in you don't believe me

A) I like Yellow Submarine, not Good Day Sunshine or Doctor Robert though.
B) I think the highs make up for the lows on Revolver, and Good Day Sunshine is the only major low on Revolver.

bump, would like to hear people's thoughts

Good Day Sunshine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love You To

Revolver is the superior album. Sgt. Pepper is a bit of a mess.

downhill from please please me desu

>It's got some great highs, but it's simply inconsistent.
that's almost every beatles album

sorry but doctor robert fucking SUCKS

Sgt Peppers is alright, but Revolver, The White Album and Abbey Road are better

this is not really a debate, is it? revolver GOAT and rubber soul #2

>The White Album & Abbey Road are better

this guy is correct

I agree, but it's better than Good Day Sunshine.
that's what I think too, but then again Sgt could grow on me.

This. Who the fuck like's George weaboo shit? Love You To is at least better than Within You, Without You. The Inner Light is better than both, but none of them are really that great. I'd rather listen to Revolution 9 or the unreleased "Avant Garde a clue."

If George had written more on Sgt Pepper's it would have been so much better, though.

Lol mu sure loves to hit on McCartney style pop songs, I love stuff like good day sunshine or maxwells hammer, songs don't need to be complicated on grandiose to be good.

I agree user, I just have a personal dislike for Good Day Sunshine. I'm not that guy but I definitely think it's a low on the album. It's not terrible either, just below par to me.

yes

post yfw you found out that McCartney played the solo in "Taxman"

just found that out

>judging an album after one listen

also, what songs did you not like? and which version of the album did you listen to: the mono, original stereo, or 2017 stereo remix?

The mono version of Sgt. Pepper is better than the stereo version.

The Mono version of Getting Better sounds like it could've been on Revolver.

I prefer Revolver to Sgt. Pepper but Sgt. Pepper is still a good album.

I listened to an unspecified remaster using Spotify Premium, and I know it's often absurd to trust that an opinion formulated after one listen will stand strong.

I disliked Getting Better upon first listen but it got better

>get it

after a second and third listen. I've disliked Good Morning Good Morning for the past few listens. The rest are either great or good, but some become uninteresting at specific points.

scratch that, I've loved good morning for the past couple but couldn't absorb it all at first.

the problem is that it's so consistently good that you get bored of it's amazingness

I also prefer Revolver. I like Sgt. Pepper's too, though. Revolver is more of a truly collaborative experimental Beatles album, which is what makes it the best in my book. The later albums had especially John and Paul splintering off too much from each other.

"patrician" (as much patrician you can be about beatles) ranking coming up
Rubber Soul > Revolver > Sgt. Peppers > The Beatles > Abbey Road > Magical Mystery Tour (yes, fuck you) >>>> Early albums >>>> Let It Be

kek, maybe that's it
that's a very good point

Frankly Rubber Soul and Abbey Road both are better albums musically. And a lot more fun to listen to.

A Day In The Life is the undisputed best Beatles track though.

you should try this one, the new stereo mix from 2017 deluxe:
open.spotify.com/album/6b7ycwe2rxq6FkaupNuGoS

it blows the original stereo out of the water. my favorite overall is probably the mono though, which i dont think is on spotify

Revolver is much better. Sgt Pepper has great moments, like you said, but it gets marred down by complete shit like She's Leaving Home, Within You Without You, and most of all Mr. Kite.

Revolver is, in fact, the best Beatles album, so the drop in quality is very noticeable.

>within you without you
>complete shit

surely you can at least appreciate the arrangement? it might be the best on a beatles song

I'll be sure to give that a go, thank you very much.
I thought Mr. Kite was gimmicky but enjoyable regardless, the instrumentation really trumps the lyrics and vocalizations on a lot of tracks of Sgt.

Revolver really has a fantastic variety and gems like She Said She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows, Taxman, I Want To Tell You, I'm Only Sleeping

>it gets marred down by complete shit like She's Leaving Home, Within You Without You, and most of all Mr. Kite
I didn't know it was even possible to be this pleb. Your obvious retardation is now making me question whether or not Revolver is actually my favorite Beatles album. Also despite the fact that I think Revolver is better, Sgt. Pepper's at it's worst moments (which are NOT any of the songs you mentioned) is just boring. Revolver has actual bad songs on it like Yellow Submarine and Doctor Robert.

How old are you OP how are you just getting to Sgt Pepper ?

>yellow submarine
>bad
it's not great but it doesn't bring the album down in any way

not that guy but I do think that the worst moments of Sgt are indeed just boring

I'm young lol, I'm pretty new to music and I've been listening to the Beatles discography in order from their debut.

I mean, it's just an extended Indian raca arrangement that is not at all substantially different from Love You To on Revolver (also the worst song on Revolver). SO no, I really can't appreciate that song specifically on any level.

Maybe it's just having heard the album a fair amount, but for me it just drags (even for being 2 minutes) and the random bouts of laughter and big top organ just make it feel way too camp for my taste. It's just not what I want to hear after something as slow and reserved as She's Leaving Home or before something as long winded as Within You Without You.

All the songs on Revolver you mentioned are fucking beautiful, especially She Said She Said.

Why are Yellow Submarine and Doctor Robert "actually bad"? They're two of my absolute favorites. Yellow Submarine has a more memorable refrain than anything else on either record, and it fits perfectly where it does on Revolver. Doctor Robert has a punchy guitar riff and a great subtext to it. It's a great, straightforward and simple song to liven up the orchestral grandiose of the preceding track and the vocal brightness of the next one. I feel like you only hate those tracks because they're simple, and for that I imagine early Beatles are a drag for you.

What are the worst songs on Sgt. Pepper's for you? A pleb would answer Good Morning Good Morning and When I'm Sixty-Four.

>I mean, it's just an extended Indian raca arrangement that is not at all substantially different from Love You To on Revolver

not true tho. Love You To is basically a Beatles style pop song just with sitars instead. WYWY is an attempt at Hindustani classical music with much different structure and a more elaborate arrangement. I like the strings a lot too, which Love You To doesn't have

i really like Love You To as well

that's a fair stance on the Pepper's tracks, I've got really mixed feelings about the arrangements myself.

She Said She Said is probably my favorite Revolver track and one of my favorite Beatles songs so far.

Good idea

thank you, I've found it to be an amazingly rewarding approach. so pleasing hearing the progressions over time

> Just listened to Sgt Pepper for the first itme

High schooler confirmed

They're really one of a kind
I wish I could hear it for the first time

>mfw I realized Paul was the GOAT

ok
definitely an incredible experience

How is Yellow Submarine not bad? It's a children's song randomly thrown on to one of the most important albums in the history of pop music. If that wasn't bad enough, Ringo sings on it, and the rest of the Beatles sound like they're half asleep on the backing vocals. To top it all of it has that lel so randum xD "band begins to play" part that pisses me off. It's also the only song on the album that's actually better in stereo than mono which again furthers my hatred for it. Doctor Robert speaks for itself. It's a just an absolute failure of a song in every respect. It was clearly written in 5 minutes and just tacked on as filler.

Anyway the song on Sgt. Pepper's that gets under my skin the most is Lovely Rita.

it's simple but effective, I don't see what's so painful about the band playing. I dislike Doctor Robert too, but I like Lovely Rita.

>It's a children's song randomly thrown on to one of the most important albums in the history of pop music.
Why does it being a children's song make it bad?
>If that wasn't bad enough, Ringo sings on it
Ringo sings on a lot of Beatles songs. He's a good singer.
>the rest of the Beatles sound like they're half asleep on the backing vocals.
It's supposed to be soothing and calm. You know, like a children's lullaby.
>To top it all of it has that lel so randum xD "band begins to play" part that pisses me off.
Coming from someone who thinks that Mr. Kite is good. Hypocritical, eh?
>It's also the only song on the album that's actually better in stereo than mono which again furthers my hatred for it.
Literally who cares
Doctor Robert speaks for itself. It's a just an absolute failure of a song in every respect. It was clearly written in 5 minutes and just tacked on as filler.
Not a real criticism then. You basically just hate it because it's simple.
>Lovely Rita
Same deal as Doctor Robert then? Because that's the second best song on side 2.
(#1 is A Day in the Life, though for you Paul's section might be "too childlike").

I literally couldn't care less. Both tracks are little more than extended drones with sitar noodling. George's silly Indian raca experiments were my least favorite part of his entire songwriting career. It's only gotten more and more dated with each passing decade, and whatever Height-Ashbury novelty hippie quality there used to be about them is just long gone. The lyrics are particularly atrocious.

Make sure you listen in both mono and stereo. They offer different experiences

at least learn to fucking spell raga if youre gonna disregard it

Sorry, it's not something I talk about every day to be fair. Raga, not raca.

what are your thoughts so far on the 2017 stereo mix user?

I have never listened to an album in mono, what are the pros of mono versions

Never claimed anything was too childlike. There's a difference between invoking childhood nostalgia/the feeling of youth and just writing a mindless song for children. Although I have no idea what Paul's verse on a Day of the Life has to do with children, but I guess you just needed something to insult me about since you couldn't think of any real reasons that I'm wrong.

I also never said anything about the songs being simple, nor did I even say that I disliked Lovely Rita. It's just that out of all the songs on Sgt. Pepper's it is the most grating for me at points, but it doesn't cause outright displeasure like Doctor Robert and Yellow Submarine. Anyway, the problem is not the fact that these songs are "simple," it's that they sound like they fucking shat them out in 5 minutes because they needed extra shit to throw on the album.

Also if you like Tomorrow Never Knows, you should like Mr. Kite for the same reason.

I really dig this, fantastic remixes

>Also if you like Tomorrow Never Knows, you should like Mr. Kite for the same reason.
Why? They're incredibly different songs.
>Never claimed anything was too childlike. There's a difference between invoking childhood nostalgia/the feeling of youth and just writing a mindless song for children.
I asked you why it being a children's song was bad, not that you were criticizing it for being too childlike. You didn't elaborate much on that, and still really haven't.

As for Day in the Life, I was referring to Paul's verse being relatively whimsical and "mindless" I suppose you might say now. In the context of the song that's around it, the verse makes sense and has more value. Yellow Submarine works similarly after the slow, haunting Here, There and Everywhere, and before the awakening She Said She Said. Like going to sleep and waking up.
>Anyway, the problem is not the fact that these songs are "simple," it's that they sound like they fucking shat them out in 5 minutes because they needed extra shit to throw on the album.
Still not a real criticism. The riff for Satisfaction was written in a few seconds from a goddamn dream. How long a song takes to write is not a valid criticism of a song.

> I guess you just needed something to insult me about since you couldn't think of any real reasons that I'm wrong.
Coming from the guy who literally started with
>I didn't know it was even possible to be this pleb. Your obvious retardation is now making me question whether or not Revolver is actually my favorite Beatles album.
Fuck you too my man. Maybe we just like different songs for different reasons, but in the end regardless of our divergent tastes, Revolver is still the most appealing.

That's why Revolver is the best Beatles album. Even two people who can't agree on what good music is agree that it's the best.

To put it simply they recorded and mixed with mono primarily in mind because that's what people had. Stereo was considered a gimmick and expensive so they spend 20x as long mixing in mono as they did in stereo, and it shows. Many stereo mixes suffer from far panning of a single track like the drums of the vocals and its a bad experience. Many of them however are excellent and seem to give those songs proper room to breathe. For the most part though their records are best in mono, especially the first two, Rubber Soul, and Sgt Pepper (2017 remix is superb however).

In short, listen in both because you'll have the best version of each song that way.

Thanks user, I never knew that was the case. I'm loving the 2017 stereo mix, but there appears to be no mono mix at all on Spotify. is the 2017 stereo mix the closest to mono I could get using Spotify ?

Honestly the stereo remix is such a step up from the original that it could be all you need. I would eventually listen to it in mono.

If you need, every Beatles release is here
mp3forum.com.ua/showtopic114291.html

okay, thank you. I read that the 2017 stereo mix is actually closer to the original mono, is this true? is this what makes it better?

It's just a proper mix. Tracks are centered more as opposed to the hard panning of the original mix

Daily reminder sgt pepper is an inferior version of magical mystery tour

I appreciate the insight and info.

Not even Paul would say this

Don't worry about it. They're by far my favorite band and always have been so I relish any chance to talk about them.

Try again. Good Day Sunshine and Dr. Robert are fucking solid songs desu. Everyone knows that.

I'll never for the life of be understand why people think Dr. Robert is a bad song. It's so similar to their other work. If Dr Robert is bad, why isn't Drive My Car? Or Paperback Writer? The only "bad" Beatle song is Rev 9 but that's not really a song.

Avant-garde a clue, mate.

>choke full of iconic beatles songs
>none of the lesser known songs is outright bad like lovely rita or good morning

Sgt. Pepper is a world's better album experience because MMT was functionally an soundtrack EP to a movie + Strawberry fields/Penny lane single. It was sort of strewn together during a hectic period in the Beatle's careers when their manager and friend died. Don't misunderstand, I love MMT and think it's easily a 9/10, but as an ALBUM there's no universe where its better than Sgt Pepper.

I correct this, MMT is a 10/10. But Sgt. Pepper is a higher 10