Am I autistic?

Because of mu I have listened to almost 800 albums, and find music constantly that I listen to on a daily basis. Since I've found this place I can find bands that I never would have before. But whenever anyone asks me what music I like I just panic and say something stupid like "i like a lot of stuff" or "ha ha you know, I like Brian Eno", and people just look at me weird. Am I autistic or is this common?

You're autistic for sure.

autistic for sure

NOBODY
FUCKING
CARES

You are autistic because you have the need to say how many albums you have listened to

Surely autistic

JUST SAY THE LAST THING YOU LISTENED TO
IT'S NOT HARD

>"Hey user, what music do yo like?"
>Eeermmm...idk...800 albums ya know?

Autism

Sorry son, looks like you have the 'tism. Better luck next life

You do because you replied (and so do I)

Uhh I just tell people what I'm obsessed with at the moment. There's always something. Try not to sperg so much OP just try being calm and having something to discuss ready at all times

Is it autistic to mathematically deduce what I like based off of rateyourmusic ratings? Asking for a friend

There's a right and wrong answer to "what music do you like?"

WRONG ANSWER: [something obscure that will make the person asking the question feel inferior]

RIGHT ANSWER: [a musician that the person asking the question also likes]

Maybe this is kid of autistic/socially-retarded/ridiculous of me to analyze the situation this way, but I generally try to figure out what the person likes before they ask me what I like. Usually it's not hard to figure out; people tend to wear their musical affiliations (often literally) on their sleeves.

So then I just enthuse about whatever that is. It's very easy. You mostly just want to name the right artists, enthuse a little bit, demonstrate a little bit of knowledge about the artist to prove you aren't bullshitting (should be easy if you're a Sup Forumstant) then you just basically set the other person up to kinda brag and go on about the artist. Often they will have seen them live, maybe met them. So I will just go like "wow, that's awesome! Was it the tour for [insert album]? wow! so cool!"

And that's how I navigate that question.

Just memorize your last.fm description and recite it

what's wrong with saying you like coldplay's producer

I just direct them to my rym account.

>Because of mu I have listened to almost 800 albums
OK but have you really earned them?

no that's the problem pls help

Say you like Bowie instead of Eno

I'd say you're autistic because you felt the need to start a thread just to "brag" to people that you've heard 800 albums. Thing is, everyone on this board is crazy about music so 800 is actually a tiny number. The fact you think that is anything worth telling anyone is a sure sign of autism.

OK the first step is to stop listening to anything you didn't find in the wild.

Everybody answers something vague when asked ''what do you like?'', because that's a very vague question too.

this. op just tell them something popular that you like, something they may have heard, at least that way you'll have something to talk about

/thread

>Thing is, everyone on this board is crazy about music so 800 is actually a tiny number.
Hopefully not. There really isn't that much time in a day to really devote your critical listening skills to an album. Unless you are just listening passively like a pleb. This is a sign of musical weakness, and people like this should be avoided

This
Let me show you OP.
Some people are older than 16 and so have had time to listen to things.

you need to shave off what you've listened to and what you actually like. i had the same problem where i had over 800 artists and over 1700 albums on my computer. 140 gigs of music. now i have only about 300 albums and less than 36 gigs. if there's an album you don't consistently listen to in your folder, delete it. if there's an artist you have only for novelty purposes in your folder, delete it. do research on the bands that interest you most, find similar stuff, and develop your taste from there

now the social adeptness is a bit harder to fix. a silly but vital thing to do is to come up with answers to pre-existing questions in your head so that when someone actually asks you have at least something to go off of

>Some people are older than 16 and so have had time to listen to things.
it's really more of the opposite; if you're 16, you have no job, no bills or taxes to pay, and your social life is limited to a couple hundred or thousand people you see everyday. as a teenager you have a lot more free time and if you're savvy with computers or have a local music store in walking distance, listening to music is one of the only things to pass the time

t. a former teenager who spent all his time in his room listening to shitty music. i don't have anywhere near the same free time now as i did then

this anons right the older I got the less music I was able to just binge on every day, responsibilities and shit

I keep a list on my phone titled "Genres I mostly fuck with".
If someone asks me what kind of music I like, I show it to them. Then they can pick a genre they like or have heard of.
>Oh, you like southern hip hop? Do you listen to Big K.R.I.T.?
>Surf rock? Cool story, my uncle played with Dick Dale.

I find it's the easiest way to explain to people that I'm not being evasive when I say I listen to a little of everything, and I really am happy to discuss any kind of music.
No one has ever struck up a conversation about Bebop or Tsugarujamisen, but here's hoping.

you know if you listen to a single song off an album that would count as an album scrobbled on last fm

>Some people are older than 16 and so have had time to listen to things.
But not the understanding to musically comprehend what's going on.

Judging by your pic, you know exactly what I mean.

Sure but even if 20% of those albums are clerical errors its a massive amount of music.
Fair enough but a lot of us are NEETS or shut-ins so we still have time. Even if we didn't, the total amount of albums you'll have heard only increases as each year goes by.
This is unbelievably shitty advice. Delete stuff you haven't heard in a while? For what purpose? Storage in 2017 is dirt cheap and plentiful. You never know what albums you'll enjoy upon revisiting. Just unbelievably bad advice all around. You seem image obsessed.

>Fair enough but a lot of us are NEETS or shut-ins so we still have time.
It's less likely people of this type will musically comprehend what they are listening to.
>This is unbelievably shitty advice. Delete stuff you haven't heard in a while? For what purpose? Storage in 2017 is dirt cheap and plentiful. You never know what albums you'll enjoy upon revisiting. Just unbelievably bad advice all around. You seem image obsessed.
Again, soudns like you haven't earned the music in the first place.

I don't even know how to respond to either of the things you said. I'm actually giggling. I'll just leave the thread.

>I don't even know how to respond to either of the things you said.
Probably because you are musically illiterate and haven't earned anything you've listened to in your short 16 year life

You're right :)

Hm, sorry this is an 18+ board.

You won't tell on me will you?

>For what purpose?
i already explained that it's meant for OP to find what he truly likes instead of just saving all the music he's ever listened to. if he ends up revisiting it again, it's not like he can't just redownload it on soulseek or find it on youtube. you'll know which abums you'll want to revisit if you still have them saved in your music folder

stockpiling music is a really bad practice and results in a lack of musical preference or palate

>it's not like he can't just redownload it on soulseek or find it on youtube
Why do this in the first place when you already have the files? It's so fucking stupid. In 2017 there is no defense for this practice. Delete music you haven't heard in a while because you can find it on youtube? Are you high? We aren't shopping albums around on floppy disks you know. Within two years you'll be able to buy a terrabyte THUMBSTICK.

what about my last two posts do you not understand? my argument is for OP to start taste-building. it has nothing to do with a lack of digital storage

I didn't address that because it's equally irrelevant. You can taste build from a large sample. You can have many different tastes. You can like all kinds of music. You're so image concerned about having this tight 140-character long taste that you can easily share with people that you'll delete things that don't neatly fit in that box? Do you even like music?

Back to the "just delete it and find it again." Why not just have it? If the image of an album you haven't heard in your library is so upsetting just drag it into a different folder. This has everything to do with digital storage because your premise is fucking retarded and totally refuted by the fact that it's 2017 and I can store a lifetime's worth of music on an external hard drive, picking and choosing from it as I please. There is NO downside to doing this. It doesn't get in the way of anything.

>You can have many different tastes
That delineates and waters down the taste of the whole. Incorrect way to listen to music

Does anyone know what autismo means by "earning" music? I'm trying to follow along.

Well, what have you done to deserve the music you listen to?

>autismo
How so?

>That delineates and waters down the taste of the whole. Incorrect way to listen to music
I've been here for 10 years and this could possible be the most retarded and fundamentally pleb opinion I've ever happened across. Congratulations. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like, and there's nothing wrong with liking many different things. You have a lot of growing up to do.

>I've been here for 10 years
Well there's your problem.
>There's nothing wrong with liking what you like
Wait, when did I say there was anything wrong with having a watered-down/musically-thin taste? I don't mind if you have plebeian tastes.

The only pleb here is you, I assure you
Enjoy your perfectly tailored 140-character taste, while I listen to hundreds of genres and enjoy them all.

The difference between you and I, is I understand the music and it's context. You do not.

And that's OK

>You can have many different tastes
obviously, i have a ton of different genres in my folder. the point i'm getting at is OP does not have a definitive taste, and even though he built from a large sample, he clearly doesn't have favs. i don't understand why you think i believe liking all kinds of music is bad. OP is obviously complaining about his situation so i gave advice that worked for me.

>Do you even like music?
based on the fact that i have a folder of over 300 albums that listen to on a very consistent basis, yes. do you think my music folder is my only exposure to music?

You sound like a groveling brown-noser. I'd rather chill with an autist like OP than someone like you. At least he's honest

More like a sign of vanity

I just say "i like many genres" and proceed to name my fv 5 bands/artist, the person sure knows The Beatles, PF or Arctic Monkeys so the rest is easy

Whatever you say
How do you know so much about OP? How could possibly have determined all of that through one post? The only information you can determine is that he's a socially awkward fuck who can't answer a simple question.

Also, you listen to the same 300 albums over and over again? What the fuck man don't you get bored? I think I had a 300 album rotation going when I was in grade 9.

I accomplished the feat of having ears, so I 'deserve' to be able to hear music.
You're a sperg for thinking otherwise

>Also, you listen to the same 300 albums over and over again? What the fuck man don't you get bored?
Assuming those 300 albums are 45 minutes long, that's approximately 225 hours of music. If he listened to them every moment he was awake, it'd take two weeks to cycle threw it all.

That's a reasonable amount. remember: quality over quantity

>I am hungry so I deserve to have free food!
Not how it works

you sound like a beta bitch

in his post he said that whenever someone asks what his favs are he does not have a clear answer to the question. obviously he didn't elaborate on the reason why, but based on the very very similar situation i was in not long ago i decided to give him something to at least work with

>you listen to the same 300 albums over and over again?
i never said that my collection is constant or unchanging. i find new music all the time and sometimes get tired of older stuff after a while

>quality over quantity
jesus christ user thank you, you nailed my point. if i wanted to have 1000s of albums of music i listened to once or twice i would, but in my opinion (i should have prefaced this from the beginning apparently...) that's a shitty way of developing a palate of music you truly love

Fucking hell

I take that as a "no"

Quality and quantity aren't mutually exclusive in the digital age. Totally deflective argument. 300 albums is simply indefensible if you love music

I have like 1000 albums and I enjoy listening to all of them, quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive. Unless you mean in the context of forming a taste (I've already got mine), in which case you are 100% correct

>in the digital age
There would be more quantity than quality because of a lack of gatekeepers preventing 1) people who shouldn't be making music from making music and 2) people who shouldn't be listening to music from listening to music
>if you love music
You can't truly love one thing if you (pretend) to love all things. it's called spreading yourself thin.
>I have like 1000 albums and I enjoy listening to all of them, quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive
Wow, that's a really big vinyl collection! How long have you been collecting?

>There would be more quantity than quality because of a lack of gatekeepers preventing 1) people who shouldn't be making music from making music and 2) people who shouldn't be listening to music from listening to music
The onus is on you to sift through the music to determine what is good or not, unless of course you don't really love music. By the way the point of my post wasn't in reference to music being made today, but to the fact that with the internet and digital storage all the best music ever made is available at your fingertips. With internet resources it's in fact easier to find good music then it's ever been. Nice try
>You can't truly love one thing if you (pretend) to love all things. it's called spreading yourself thin.
Another good try. Just because you can't imagine liking more than 300 (lol) albums doesn't mean the rest of us don't. No one's pretending to like anything.
Sidenote: I'm willing to bet every single album in your 300 can be found on a Sup Forumscore chart somewhere.

you're not replying to the same person dickweed, i'm the person with the music collection smaller than yours. also why would i give a shit about what this board says is or is not good?

>The onus is on you to sift through the music to determine what is good or not
See point #2
>but to the fact that with the internet and digital storage all the best music ever made is available at your fingertips
See >Just because you can't imagine liking more than 300
I can imagine having pretend plebeian tastes, yes
>No one's pretending to like anything
Then name 300 of your favorite albums and why they are your favorites, specifically musically analyzing every song. Don't forget to use specific music theory terminology.

no domesticated albums for this patrician

Can you do me a favor and adopt a trip so I can filter your posts?

can you do that user a favor and answer his fucking question?

Can you do me a favor and adopt a trip so I can filter your posts?

>physical media

>top 5 bands contains 3 of the most surface level bands ever
this isn't the thread for you

unless he's lying about listening to the artist this isn't beta at all he's just trying to keep a convo going to be friendly lol. Mentioning shit the other person hasn't heard of is a conversation stopper. Just don't flat out lie and say you're really into G-Eazy or whatever and try and find a common thread with a genre the other person likes and you're good.

>popular music is bad music
this life is not for you

Is Eno actually Coldplay's producer or is this guy just memeing?

Yeah he produced a few Coldplay albums. Who cares? It's his job. Even Steve Albini produced Bush

Mods?

I don't care at all. Just didn't know if it was actually true.

>I don't care about important musical trivia when discussing music
Leave

>"ha ha you know, I like Brian Eno"
That's actually the non-autistic way to answer.

>Music deleting pleb detected

>being afraid to admit what you listen to

Just say you like Babymetal already. Normies won't care