/classical/

Rendezvous with Rameau

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The beautiful, elegant, intelligent user who made this, added a little of everything in here. There's a lot of Deutsche Gramophone recordings too.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UwnfauR87E4
youtube.com/watch?v=1v4b2zQizZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pPl4jbfPSc4
youtube.com/watch?v=HuJ-LKEH6W0
youtube.com/watch?v=yaaRk0c-780
youtube.com/watch?v=CSfAA5UiR-8
youtube.com/watch?v=cDYLABinWxc
youtube.com/watch?v=BzRiY-lDUbA
youtube.com/watch?v=illRA6DMZv4
youtube.com/watch?v=4JCXdd4JW3U
youtube.com/watch?v=pb37dJFPoFg
youtube.com/watch?v=rgHJMS3EdQk
youtube.com/watch?v=w6SVrHxGLsA
youtube.com/watch?v=zO8i5D2uz84
youtube.com/watch?v=yvU_rjt__2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=NK3-URQntcg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFPw24UZZMU
youtube.com/watch?v=I6fPKLWkEBc
youtube.com/watch?v=X21R6tpeaJs
youtube.com/watch?v=gcyPrOVYRVk
youtube.com/watch?v=jijWTXVWHA0
youtube.com/watch?v=Bg0Q0wbo-Uc
youtube.com/watch?v=h84iZjKeq9w
youtube.com/watch?v=qOPayx1YHpY
clyp.it/ttr1yrd4
youtube.com/watch?v=8petL3nJYB4
youtube.com/watch?v=ykuF8h7sFwI
youtube.com/watch?v=lxlw40Cqd30
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFtnE-49J0
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JVmrNwdh0
youtube.com/watch?v=osm8ral_9aA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Days_in_September
youtube.com/watch?v=7o3_2gNY3O8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=UwnfauR87E4

youtube.com/watch?v=1v4b2zQizZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pPl4jbfPSc4
youtube.com/watch?v=HuJ-LKEH6W0

Schnittke
youtube.com/watch?v=yaaRk0c-780

youtube.com/watch?v=CSfAA5UiR-8

does anyone know this gem?
great orchestration!

youtube.com/watch?v=cDYLABinWxc

>mfw someone uploads more Rautavaara symphonies to Youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=BzRiY-lDUbA

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=illRA6DMZv4

youtube.com/watch?v=4JCXdd4JW3U

If the Nazis hadn't killed him would he have gone on to become one of the greats?

I like Les Savauges and you can't call me a pleb because it was a hit among literal patricians in those days.

Reminder to listen to Bartok

Anybody read this book? It's pretty interesting, Bartok makes use of the golden section a lot in his intervals and the structure of the piece, and his tonal theory is cool. I don't pretend to understand it all, it's pretty high level compositional stuff and I'm not a composer, but it's a nice insight into the complexity of his methods

why arent you studying all seven volumes of the treatise on rythm, color and ornithology right now?

youtube.com/watch?v=pb37dJFPoFg

Forgot the fuggen piece I wanted to post

does someone know where to get partituras of composers that still live, for example Morricone?

>tfw lost my Lully folder
>tfw no Lully

Most modern composers seem to have websites. They might have resources there or, at the very least, further threads to follow.

How do I play this?

/r/ing debussy chart

It's not great but here.

I assume its like 6 but with the turn at the end

Reminder that Bartok a shit and you should listen to Janacek instead

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=rgHJMS3EdQk

good idea
youtube.com/watch?v=w6SVrHxGLsA

Janacek's super good too but they're not mutually exclusive you fucking mongoloid alien

What do I study if I want to be a composer

I know really basic music theory, can (slowly and laboriously) read notation for bass and treble clef, and I've been going through some Berklee book for voice leading chords and some other harmonic stuff...legit don't know where to go from here

Just noticed the mega file in the OP for composition books, I'm retarded. Have a bump and some Bach instead. youtube.com/watch?v=zO8i5D2uz84

Can someone tell me what I am allowed to do in terms of harmonizing a tone row? I'm sort of just getting into composing as a hobby and I thought an interesting exercise would be to write something in 12-tone while having it sound more or less consonant. But now I don't know what to do next because the melodic line is using all the notes.

*awkwardly glissandos into desired key*

What are user's favourite quintets?

On a scale of 9.999... to 10 how underrated is Rameau?
youtube.com/watch?v=yvU_rjt__2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=NK3-URQntcg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFPw24UZZMU
youtube.com/watch?v=I6fPKLWkEBc

It doesn't look like he knew how to play the violin though.

The translation is "hommage to Rameau", not "rendezvous with" YOU IDIOT

>Hey I hope you guys don't mind me revolutionizing French opera. Anyways here's Wonderwall.

Could someone upload the Griller/Primrose recording of Mozart's string quintets?

youtube.com/watch?v=X21R6tpeaJs

What are you talking about?

The secret Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=gcyPrOVYRVk

Is there atonal/dissonant/avant garde stuff that doesn't sound "depressing"? Or is it the entire POINT that I'm supposed to disassociate "dissonance" and "depressing," in my mind, so that I can hear it as something new?

I feel like that's the point, right? Like, the fact that I go "oh, this sounds depressing" is a product of my brain being trained to associate "happiness" with "traditional tonal resolution."

Or am I half-right, half-wrong, here? I really like the idea of "sound poems," I want to follow a Stravinsky score like the bustling streets of Moscow, or imagine bucolic processions when I listen to Mahler, I want atonal music to open new vistas and forms of imagery in my mind, but I so often hear it as just BLEAK DEPRESSING SAD BLEHHHHH

tldr: Does anyone have any good examples of atonal/similar music that is something other than "bleak" sounding? Doesn't have to be HAPPY, either. Or do I just need to further retrain my pleb ears?

Debussy can be very nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=jijWTXVWHA0

Try Alban Berg's Chamber Concerto or Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht

he's referencing a famous sci fi book called "rendezvous with rama"

>Verklarte Nacht
>atonal
u wot

See, it must just be me, because Berg's concerto is making me picture a gangly rapist with one leg awkwardly longer than the other, stalking a woman in the park. And the Krenek is making me picture shit falling onto the floor and breaking.

I figured he needed to ease himself into atonality from romanticism.

Facco
youtube.com/watch?v=Bg0Q0wbo-Uc
One thing Facco didn't get right is how sometimes the soloist becomes more continuo than the continuo. It's kind of anticlimactic.

youtube.com/watch?v=h84iZjKeq9w

Listen to Wozzeck

ugly

Yeah. Not top tier by any means, but Facco is pretty important in the history of Spanish music that isn't just a bunch of folk tunes on guitar.

I mean you
you're ugly

Messiaen!

youtube.com/watch?v=qOPayx1YHpY

Who hurt you user?

>Verklarte Nacht
>not stormy as fuck

u wot

>me
>actually listening to mahler now and loving it
time to kill myself

Hngggg

Just put one of his symphonies on loop and you won't ever wake up.

I knew you'd come around.

Which symphony/performance, btw?

Well I'm trying to do that but no one will help me

Nonetheless here's a proof of concept

clyp.it/ttr1yrd4

havent really made a list but mostly rosbaud, mitropoulos, scherchen, kondrashin, early klemperer. and some individual stuff by mengelberg, bour, maderna (and that keilberth das lied). any conductor to my ears that doesnt waste time.

theres still a lot i dislike about some of the works but mostly positive feelings now

>Listen to Mahler's 5th
>this is the most physically offensive music I have ever heard
>Listen to Mahler's 1st
>wtf I'm enjoying this
>okay just the 1st that's it
>Listen to Mahler's 4th
>Damn this aint bad either
>WTF NOW I LIKE MAHLER'S 7th

I now support the idea of an autonomous Jewish state!

I haven't really explored too much of the Bour stuff just yet, but I generally like him as a conductor.
It's a bit of a shame that the far superior performance of Maderna's 5th (the Philadelphia one) is in such scrappy sound.

>k l e m p e r e r

It's a bit of both. Yes you have been trained to hear dissonance as ugly or depressing. At the same time, tonality does sound so grandly beautiful because of the human structure and how it perceives the overtone series etc. Some of Bernstein's lectures (especially the first iirc) touch on this in great depth. So you have to approach atonal music with that in mind. It is purposefully diverting what is innately beautiful but that by no means makes it all ugly.

I agree that Debussy is beautiful and unconventionally tonal, Bartok I would say is in the same realm of unconventionality, but still accessible. His string quartets are haunting.
youtube.com/watch?v=8petL3nJYB4

To break further from tonality, Schnittke wrote a choir concerto. Much of his music is incredibly atonal and is indeed bleak as you would describe it. However this choir concerto is one of the most gorgeous pieces I've ever heard. The fourth movement is the most tonal, with some acceptably dissonant moments, and the rest are a little more out there. Perhaps you'll find that it (mainly in the preceding 3 movements) goes between moments of pretty tonality and depressing, grating atonality, but maybe hearing the two all in one can help bridge the gap for you and prove them to not be exclusive.
youtube.com/watch?v=ykuF8h7sFwI

And now Schoenberg. I will not convince you that 12-tone is innately happy or rewarding like tonal music. However there is a different beauty to it that can be found with a different approach. This septet is playful and light. It is nicknamed the "dance suite" so listen not to the "bleak" dissonances but instead to the way it moves. There's a flow to it that hopefully you will find fits the criteria "not necessarily happy but not depressing"
youtube.com/watch?v=lxlw40Cqd30

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts

>Yes you have been trained to hear dissonance as ugly or depressing
Thanks, horror movies

(12) looks closest in other reproductions of this bach-diagram

What are some essential /classical/ films?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFtnE-49J0

Recommend me sum Chinese Opera

Turandot
:^)

Reee and such and trips too I guess

I don't understand. You seem to already have harmony here, so what are you looking for help with?

Personally I think the strongest example is from Shostakovich 14. Its about the only tone row I can remember whistling

youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JVmrNwdh0

you'll want to learn to read fast in both treble and bass clefs. alto clef is a meme

find pozzoli books and berkowitz solfege books and study them for sight reading

for composition, learn your circle of fifths, study the major and (the 3) minor scales (natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor) and the chords that form on each scale degree (I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii dim for major and i, ii dim, III, iv, v, VI, VII for natural minor, so forth)

read about the tonal relationship of first chord with fifth and basically about tension and release

study bach chorales and SATB harmony, every classical work up to the modern period is basically based on 4 voice harmony and voice leading

after that i guess you could study the modes and other stuffs like forms

you'll need a lot of books, there should be some courses online that should guide you into these topics

good luck user

12 tone stuff will never sound consonant if you don't establish a cycle of tension-release

What does that entail?

Jerk off while composing

youtube.com/watch?v=osm8ral_9aA
Dumb frogposter.

Well there I just found four note chords that sounded consonant together and arpeggiated them into melodic cells that I strung together. That would seem fairly orthodox. I'm just wondering what the full extent of what is allowed to be done with the other voices.

Noooooo stahp id!

its not so bad, and i quite like rosbaud and mitropoulos too in the 5th anyway.

If you're serious, go to university or college. Study music, major in composition.
You will study harmony, counterpoint, form, music history, orchestration and a few others, as well as contemporary techniques.

Not that guy but what if its just a hobby?

oh... you posted the one i immediately thought of...
i've always had a secret fantasy to make a movie about wagner and king ludwig of bavaria ii

today i missed a great piano gig with a korean pianist. she was going to play some bach, debussy and schubert. i arrived on time and tickets were already sold out. any classical pieces for this feel?

That depends, did you want to give her the D?

midi files transformed into scores with score software. not all of them are 100% good, but most are pretty ok.

5 days in September, 24 preludes for a fugue, Amadeus, Immortal Beloved, The unreal world of Alfred Schnittke, Mahler

...ever heard of Syberberg?

>5 days in September

Do you mean this? What's the tie in?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Days_in_September

Tous le Matins du Monde. The ending always destroys me.

>you will never hear Chopin improvise on his favorite Pleyel piano
>you will never witness the piano battle between Liszt and Thalberg
>you will never hear the music of a young Mendelssohn and be astounded at his virtuosity

i was there, thalberg totally destroyed that dude

i was there, thalberg totally destroyed that dude

>tfw no classical trained gf

>tfw the allegro of this youtube.com/watch?v=7o3_2gNY3O8

Thalberg said something like if he had one tenth the talent of Liszt he would be a very skilled pianist

he was a modest dude

>Yes you have been trained to hear dissonance as ugly or depressing
but thats wrong and an ugly, jewish lie.

dissonance is biologically, structurally, evolutively displeasing. thats a fact, and no amount "look at these new brave 52 genders" will change that.

you need to acknowledge things for what they are, and that is, that atonal/contemporary music is extremely niche, its cultural nonsense championed by elitist faggots that need to feel special about them eating glass shards and grinning back in pretended enjoyment. its all posture, and no one should feel out of it or unspecial or dumb because these posturers invented a way to alienate people even more.

composers writing unplayable stupidity explained by the sole fact that they never ever held a violin in their hands is proof on itself about the quality of these "composers".

Atonal "music" is so damn awful. I can't believe this was mainstream a few decades ago. No wonder why contemporary classical music died.

Other than Liszt himself, who plays Liszt best?