Who would win?

Who would win?

Man with gun most likely

/thread

Close quarters or at range? I'm pretty sure the Roman would do better CDQ, because of better training with swords (Gladus, whatever) and experience with them (If we're talking a primus ligionarii or something), but at range even standard 5.56 rounds would punch through Roman armour and shields. Add to that a 6-800 round a minute fire rate on most standard weapons the Marines use and... yeah I don't think the Roman would win. Again, I think it's kind of situational though...

9/10 times marine,

If both sides used the same kit...

Marines with modern weapons

Romans with Ancient weapons

Gun goes pew, penetrates armor, roman ded
/thread

obviously the roman uses a gun too.
that's only fair if the marine can use a sword in cqc fight

the marine doesnt even need a gun, he can just lob a grenade at the roman

the roman would have no idea how to use it also the noise it makes when he fires would scare him shitless back to zues' ass cheeks

Well I guess it would come down to training and experience then. I wasn't saying anything about their kit in my post, so the exact same answer would still be relevant. Marines are taught CQC, but they're mostly trained to engage at range. The Roman would have far greater experience with bladed weapons so again, if it came down to a knife or sword fight, he would have the edge in experience and training. There are no real guarantees in combat though; it doesn't really work that way. You just prepare the best you can, remember your training and fight as hard as you fucking can until either you, or they, win.

so we accounting for the fact the romans combat training is fucking old?

I'm curious who would win in hand to hand combat, no weapons. Roman soldier would probably be smaller than marine but I guess he would be better trained in direct combat.

No shit

My thoughts exactly. That's why I keep saying in CQC the Roman would have the edge through experience alone. They made those fuckers fight from ten years old (hence where we get the word 'INFANTry' from). By the time you were a full Legionary (Usually at 15-20) you would have seen some seriously hairy shit.

But with no guns... Romans form phalanx, advance. Marines: "wtf", wave spears round like dildos. Romans trust, chop, hack. Marines ded
/thread

Silly comparison. You may well ask who would win: combat droids from 2200AD, or present day marines. No contest with their own weapons

Lionel Messi

Did he use the funds from his tax evasion to hire mercs?

>jupiter's

but would a us marine stand a chance against a cowboy at high noon?