What are some top-tier lovecraft-inspired films?

What are some top-tier lovecraft-inspired films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t8R6PzMghkI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reanimator

In the mouth of madness
From beyond

The only good one is In the Mouth of Madness.

I've seen those already ;_;

Dagon
From Beyond

Is Dagon really worth watching?

Then rewatch them again. It'll be just like reading the books since they're so repetitive.

Speaking of which; there are various mentions of him at the del toro exhibition.

what is the best Lovecraft book to read?

>the books
They're short stories dipshit

yes
its kinda campy at times but its really close to HPL's direct adaptation

you can also watch the black & white movies from that HPL reimagining group

also
the thing
event horizon

The correct term is novellas. I bet you feel like a real dipshit right now.

At the Mountains of Madness.

waw ur a real term-inator xD

Providence

get the three short story collections on penguin, they're cheap and they've got tons of notes made by a lovecraft scholar.

because it's the only one?

Dead People aka Messiah Of Evil is a cool movie, with a Shadow Over Innsmouth feel, even though it's not exactly Lovecraftian.
You could say Carpenter's The Thing has some Lovecraft elements as well.
And of course, the silent version of Call of Cthulhu is a lot of fun if you're already a fan of HPL.

true detective season 1

>I bet you feel like a real dipshit right now.
Not really considering most of them aren't novellas you fucking idiot

The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

now you know where the hacks at blizzard stole most of WoW lore

If you're referring to novels, there's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward too.

Wow, what an edgy guy he is. I bet his mom freaked when she saw that picture of him not smiling. So much edge!

>top-tier
There aren't any, really. There are some okay films, but none as well done as people claim his works to be.

The Colour out of Space.

I got this one from Barnes and Noble for somewhere between five and ten bucks once. I'm sure you could find some comprehensive books about his correspondences and other musings if you dug deep enough.

Wow, what an edgy guy you are. I bet your mom freaked out when she saw that post of you being tough on the internet. So much edge!

Kill yourself.

what if you also want it annotated?

>kill yourself

Wow, so much edge. You are the edge king!

thanks

you're welcome

I know there are plenty put there with annotations, this is just the one I personally own and know it's easy to find. I'm sure someone deeper into Lovecraft than I could help if you tried going to a more specific forum for it.

Also, I think it bears mentioning that there are some decent Lovecraft comics in existence. I especially liked Neonomicon.

I bought a collection of his stories from an old bookstore in Salem. Half the book was misprinted / misbound upside down. Just make it all the more fun to read.

Fugg, I want to visit Salem but I also don't want to come across as some faggy tourist. That book sounds like something I'd love to own, though.
>tfw it's almost spoopy fall time and I get to read books outside in 45 degree weather

The Thing (1982)
Boodborne (vidya)

The Whisperer in Darkness
The Call of Cthulhu

The Birth of a Nation

the mist

the haunted palace

>I want to visit Salem but I also don't want to come across as some faggy tourist.
Well look if you go to visit a place that you're not from to experience it's cultural value you're literally a tourist so just suck it up and go appreciate your American forefathers

I hope to one day see a truly faithful adaptation of Lovecraft's ON THE CREATION OF NIGGERS. It calls for some really sumtous kinematographiƩ:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

I have this too. Really nice seeing him evolve as a writer as it goes. The White Ship was beautiful; very underrated. The Temple was also great.

Does it really feel like a lot of Lovecraft's early stories are crap? Because I have been struggling with this book for two damn years and every time I get going I just...oh God, another dream story...another trying to be Poe story...

If you want Lovecraft, just read the mythos stuff. You don't miss much.

Dude had to hone his craft. Yeah, his early stuff is tough to get through and kind of bad. He got better and better with time and unfortunately died while at the peak of his skill.

those are films?

Lovecraft definitely took time to develop any sort of skill, but I don't find his earlier stories unbearable. The Horror At Red Hook is one of my favorites, but I can understand why it comes off as painfully xenophobic to some.

Film-wise, very few if any.

Basically just The Thing as far as actually great movies go, but then lesser stuff mentioned in here like At the Mouth of Madness and Re-Animator.

The key word is 'inspired' though, there haven't been any good actual Lovecraft adaptations that have been good, at least in film.

I have discovered recently that there have been some decent adaptations or kind of pastiches and derivatives in computer game form.

I recently checked out Call of the Cthuhlu: Dark Corners of the Earth and felt it was actually really well done in a lot of ways... except it turns into a first-person shooter eventually, when it should have remained just a mystery game. Still, the environments, atmosphere, and use of deteriorating mental states/sanity was really good.

There's also that Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened game that takes Sherlock into a Lovecraftian mystery, that's supposed to be incredibly well done, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I'm only interested in games aesthetically though, don't like to waste time getting bogged down in a game, so if a game interests me I've just been watching good walkthroughs on youtube. Both of these games are up on there.

The brain that wouldn't die. (1962)
It's dated, but I definitely got some Lovecraft vibes from watching it. It has good dialogue.

>Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
I think I would unironically sacrifice someone for an Xbox copy of this.

(sameposter)

So, you could just watch through this as if you're watching a movie. I think our idea of 'kino' isn't exactly limited to film so you could just treat this as Lovecraftian gamekino:

youtube.com/watch?v=t8R6PzMghkI

read it all! and read everything by Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen too.

It's on Steam.

Sure, the poe emulations are one thing, but I can't say with any honesty that I disliked a Dream Cycle story.

>If you want Lovecraft, just read the mythos stuff.

Don't do this shit. There are some great dream cycles you'd be missing.

Hahaha, since I haven't gotten to that one yet, watching the first minute of that... man, games really should put more pride in their dialogue and sound design. This may be a respected game but that sounds hilarious.

I want a physical copy, though. :^(

Del Broro is a big Lovecraft fan.

Kojima/Del Toro/Ito Silent Hills never ever.

test

Just ordered me some of these :^)

Can anyone tell me something about that necronomicon sign? Did Lovecraft draw it?

That fat Mexican fuck just had to mention Ito was involved.

They are. If you like Lovecraft, you should check them out. They're a lot more faithful to the source material than most Lovecraft films.

I haven't read much Lovercraft but would 'The Borderlands' count for those more clued in than me?

Shadow over Insmouth made me love him. Also The Dunwich horror

just go on ebay or whatever I guess.

>Del Toro
that fucking fat clown would ruin Lovecraft. he's produce some over-the-top, baroque-meets-steampunk extravaganza of spectacular monster designs zipping around the screen in every scene. the mystery and dread would be gone, it would be like The Hobbit movies, which he left his grubby mark all over.

man, FUCK Del Toro

>The White Ship was beautiful

Hah, another soul out there with great taste, it's short but wonderful, I would have stayed in Xura!

The biggest tragedy is that he knew he should have.

True Detectives season 1

true. and a pretty good one.

>what is the The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath

I really liked Charles Dexter Ward but you should start out with Whisperer in Darkness.

It's all public domain and Lovecraft had no heirs so don't feel bad about not buying them.

Event Horizon
Stranger Things
True Detective S1
The Mist

It always bothered me that they didn't explore that Hastur subplot more overtly.

That wrapped itself up nicely

I liked The Resurrected and the last ep. from Necronomicon

Salem is really nice just don't go in October if you don't like big crowds.

This

Not everyone here is an edge lord like you, faggot

I borrowed the Haunter of The Dark collection after I read a thread on Sup Forums some weeks ago. That was a good one, the opening short especially.

Hopefully Ito teams up with Kojima in the future regardless. That is a collab I really want to happen.

Alien and The Thing owe a lot to Mountains of Madness.

Event horizon was shit
The beginning was interesting but it went downhill from there