People have often debated what the "good" years of the Simpsons are, so here's my benchmark

People have often debated what the "good" years of the Simpsons are, so here's my benchmark.

Episodes before Beyond Blunderdome = Classic Simpsons
Episodes after Beyond Blunderdome = Zombie Simpsons

There were 5 or 6 episodes in Season 10 that had that Innsmouth Look to them, but as soon as season 11 started you could tell the show was done for. Barney getting sober, Maude dying, spring break with Kid Rock, jockey elves, no more Phil Hartman... it just felt like a totally different show at this point.

seems pretty legit desu
hated that episode

ZIMBABWE

The bar was set on the day Andy Dick sold that cocaine

Yes, I've been marathoning the Simpsons after work and this is an accurate point where things went to shit.

It's simple:

Everything pre-2000 is good.
Everything 2000 is shaky.
Everything post-2000 is bad.

People hate S1 because of how different it was, but it has a nice charm to it.

S7 is the coolest season imo.

Agree.

We were in third grade when that shit episode came out and even as kids it felt different. Talking on the schoolbus was all about why simpsons was not as funny and different.

>1
Experimental Simpsons - Optional Viewing

>2-8
Golden-age Simpsons - Mandatory Viewing

>9-10
Symptom Simpsons - Recommended Viewing

>10+
Transitional Simpsons - Go for as long as you can until you can't stands no mores

>whenever the fuck they made the transition to "HD" and beyond
Zombie Simpsons - Avoid Avoid Avoid

>everything pre-2000

every patrician knows 1997 was the cut off point f.am

Literally the second S8 ended all the writers suffered massive seizures and forgot how to make good tv

Good list. IMO:
1-3 Optional
4-8 Mandatory
9-10 Still worth watching
10+ unwatchable trash

SHANIQUA

What happened after s8?

Did they just lose it?

Mike Scully became the showrunner in season 9.

Fag

>tfw The Simpsons will never be good again

I hope it goes on so long it comes full circle

No, John Swartzwelder left and he wrote the bulk of the best Simpsons

My adjustments:

1-2 Important for context
3-8 Greatest TV show ever
9-10 Still mandatory
11-12 Big problems, but still the occasional valuable episode
13+ Stop the madness

>Experimental Simpsons - Optional Viewing
No way, season 1 was great. Not as funny as season 2 onwards, but with a great emotional core.

this is the same as my breakdown only i have season 9 in mandatory and season 10 as optional.

>People dont rate s17

It was actually a diamond in the shit

Reminder that Phil Hartman didn't run the fucking show

Like everything in life it's not fucking black and white with a thick line down the middle.

Not but his two characters gave them options

Losing Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure limits characters the staff have to work with

Without Lionel you cant really do any lawyer related sticks

The writers loved their courtroom scenes. They tried later by making Gil their lawyer. But his character was just spineless and pitiful which isn't as funny as a crooked idiot like Hutz.

>People hate S1 because of how different it was, but it has a nice charm to it.>>
I hate that.

Sure it wasnt that funny most of the time because it was a little more serious (And has pretty good feel moments) but there is still quality there that shouldnt be dismissed.

The Big Foot episode is easily one of the funniest ones.

I made this crappy analysis many years ago.

Part 2.

But Bart was always a "sappy shitlord" beneath his 90s attitude exterior, even in seasons 1-8. See "Marge Be Not Proud".

And I liked Bart the Mother, because it seemed to be the last episode of the series to contain good human emotion, as well as the last appearance of Phil Hartman.

After that episode, the show was no longer touching. It seemed content with just being zany and no character-based episodes to balance it out.

And the egg being an invasive species the whole time wrapped it up nicely.