My mate drank too much coffee and now his heartbeat is like 120, he says he feels like dying. what should he do?

my mate drank too much coffee and now his heartbeat is like 120, he says he feels like dying. what should he do?
pic not related

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6998814
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Give him more coffee

Call the police fucktard

That's my average heart rate. Even when sleeping.

Put an end to his suffering.

Fist him anally

Give him cocaine

tell him to drink lots of water and call him an ambulance like ten minutes ago!

Give him Lettuce tea

3-5mg diazepam. no diazepam? drink 2 beers. no beers? lie down and take deep breaths 4 seconds in, 5 seconds out.

Give him sugar. Seriously.

It counteracts caffeine. He'll feel better almost immediately. Any source of sugar will do, but the higher the glycemic index, the better.

(so sucrose, if you don't know what GI is)

let him go running until he drops like a rag doll

any source on this? i dont want to take this for granted having in mind that were on /b

120 isnt that high...? you sound like a first time stoner chick who thinks the burn in her throat means she swallowed glass and now wants to go to the emergency room

give him Valium it's the antagonist to caffeine

he'll survive 120 isnt crazy you get that high when you go running and stuff

this OP.

i had a panic attack at 160 one time consistent for hours. wouldnt recommend

The tl;dr is that caffeine causes the pancreas to release insulin. Your friend drank too much caffeine and the pancreas just dumped a fuckload of insulin into his bloodstream.

If you have too much insulin, you eat sugar to neutralize it (and vice versa).

If you ever eat too much sugar and get that sickly shitty feeling, drink a strong coffee (espresso is best) and you'll feel better immediately.

True that

The tl;dr is that caffeine causes the pancreas to release insulin. Your friend drank too much caffeine and the pancreas just dumped a fuckload of insulin into his bloodstream.

If you have too much insulin, you eat sugar to neutralize it (and vice versa).

If you ever eat too much sugar and get that sickly shitty feeling, drink a strong coffee (espresso is best) and you'll feel better immediately.

It's the same mechanism, just run in the other direction.

post on Sup Forums instead of calling the doctor like a complete fucking retard, sage

I swear that was me a couple of months ago. Have him lay on his back and take deep long breaths. Call an ambulance or have him rest for a long ass time.

okay boys, thanks for the advices, ill tell him those. He doesn't have any useful medicine with him though, so Valium or other medicine is not an option

is it really that serious that you have to call an ambulance? also, im not with him right now, were just chatting, he's far away from where I live

120 isn't horrible, he can withstand that for a couple hours but I would monitor. Sugar might help with the insulin but it doesn't change the fact that he still has caffeine in his bloodstream. I often go into tachycardia after eating so I wouldn't want to try it. Post-prandial tachycardia is different though, so who knows?

If you have beta blockers laying around give that a shot. Fingering his butt could help too, this stimulates the vagus nerve and tells the heart to chill the fuck out. Sounds crazy but the heart and ass really are connect by a nerve. Feeling like he is dying sounds like anxiety, so do the usual for that, dark, calm environment, xanax, and when he is done freaking out tell him to not be a retard and overdose on fucking coffee again.

>someone is in pre-stage of having a heart attack
>this is fine, just a scratch

tell him to take a shot of liquor

It's probably some dumbass teenager, not some obese geriatric fuck who eats fried chicken 6 times a day. It will be unpleasant but a heart attack is unlikely unless he has a preexisting disorder.

Drink beer
Pound a tall can
It lowers the heart beat.
I know i have anxiety and high blood pressure

how would drinking beer help him?

this

grapefruit juice and sleepy time tea

doi

I literally just explained how. Read again slowly

Drink a lot of water

Give him 3 cans of redbull to counter act it

This

Thread/

cns depressant retard

i did, why would beer lower hear beat?

Beer or anything that gets u drunk

When i do too much cocaine i just pound some beers

Lol my heart rate regularly reaches 120, and I'm a healthy 150 lb 22 yo. 120 is not high dude, and after a good amount of coffee it's totally fine. Just tell him to take his mind off it by doing something, and it will go down. If it was like 180-200, then you should be concerned.

Afaik caffeine effects the amount of adrenaline in your body, but if your friend does not have some serious sickness, his body will regulate this by increasing the ACh, which will lower his heart frequency. Dying from coffee is for a healthy human body nearly impossible

He'll be fine, just let him relax. It'll work out of his system, speaking from experience.

Im not sure. Fun fact :did u know beer is actually a performance enhancing drug in professional shooting. Because it slows down heart rate making you 'calmer' and steadier

120bpm under those circumstances is just sinus tachycardia, its a good ways off from the target heart rate while exercising... not even close to dangerous.

> wife is a nurse, I am studying ICVT

I actually misread what he wrote earlier, his heartbeat is actually 156, I told him to call an ambulance now

It lowers nerve excitability, guess what is involved with the hearts electric signal generation and conduction/

It is not healthy if you regularly hit that heart rate while doing cardio training. 120 is still considered sinus tach.

120 is what your heart rate gets to after a brisk walk. It's normal "I was just leisurely exercising" level. As long as he isn't struggling to breath have him drink some water and calm down, it will pass. If he feels lightheaded like he's about to pass out or like he can't breath go see a doctor to be safe but it's most likely nothing.

Source: A hypochondriac.

Thats still not dangerous unless your friend is really old.

That sounds like v-tach, going that fast his coronary arteries don't have enough time to perfuse the heart because it can only receive blood during diastole. Ask him if he has a pulse, if he does then tell him to call 911. If not then tell him to start CPR on himself and call 911.

I take an amphetamine for ADHD, so my heart rate is on average higher. So yes, it is quite healthy. My point is 120 is not anything to be concerned about considering he just consumed a stimulant.

How old is he? Because if he is younger than 35, and if he has no previous conditions (e.g. Diabetes), the chances of taking serious damage from caffeine are basically 0.

The human body is (in a young age with and healthy conditions) exceptionally good at not dying. Especially in the case of caffeine, which just leads the body to produce more adrenaline. A healthy body would never kill itself with adrenaline, especially because the antagonist, acetylcholine is basically everywhere in the body available at any time

he's 19, athletic built

I take amphetamine too, resting is high 70s-low 80s while under the influence. The worrying part is if this is a resting heartrate. I don't mean running up three flights of stairs to get to class on time. Young men can handle this for a while but if it's that high even while asleep then you are asking for trouble.

Amphetamines and coffeine go quite well together

Is he sick somehow? Any infections during the last few weeks, any serious allergies? Was he exposed to radiation?
Had he had heart problems earlier?

Because if not, than he should just walk a little, take deep breaths (arms up while breathing in, arms down while breathing out), until he calms down. Having heart problems with 19 there should be no reason to call an ambulance

My resting heart beat is 130.... I have some anger/testosterone issues and have been given promazine to try and chill me the fuck out..

Tell him not to worry, drink water and probably see a doc for peace of mind.

I also used to work at Starbucks and drank 4/6 shots of espresso every hour during 8 hour shifts. So heah

are you turning into a girl?

Too all those who have a resting heart rate above 100, this might not bother you while you are young, but I would defenetly do something about it, this might cost you 10-20 years of your lifespan, and it's really easy to fix (just do sports)

>Is he sick somehow? Any infections during the last few weeks, any serious allergies? Was he exposed to radiation?
he got a sore throat but that seems to be it. This is actually why he drank so much coffe, lol, he drove to work with bicycle and his throat was feeling sore when he arrived, so he drank like 5 cups of very strong coffee which caused this whole shit
he's been drinking water for the past 20 minutes and said that now he feels a little bit better tho

Walking and doing weird arm exercises only increases the cardiac workload, he should be laying down. The hyperventilation you suggest will lower PaCO2 and cause vasoconstriction, further compounding the problem.

if I'm on promazine for "anger issues" i would assume you would realise I have way too much testosterone & adrenaline..

It's actually banned in America because it's dangerous but I'm stuck on the shite because I'm apparently a danger to society.... Fucking doctors

Had the same, does he have any sort of chest pain or something else? If yes, goes away. If it gets more frequently and starts hurting more, better call 911

Well the problem with to much caffeine is a high adrenaline concentration (by competitively disabling the ach receptors), so his heart is just working on maximal performance. basically what happens after you ran a Marathon. If he just lays down the heart will still pump as fast as it can, while the rest of the body gets into low energy consumption mode, which might cause some serious damage e.g. Due to the high blood pressure, which can lead to him passing out

do some research before you start using drugs

Drink a redbull, it's counter intuitive but the extra taurine actually neutralizes the caffiene, and the sugar will make sure hos heart doesn't totally stop. always helps keep my heart rate under control.

You think maybe on my check up I have every three months that my doctor might have mentioned something if it was an issue??

When you buy your instwatch

Low energy consumption mode is what we want. If the tissues are demanding more energy then the heart will work that much harder to supply the oxygen and glucose. This is catecholamine shit acting on the heart's beta receptors with all the fun sympathetic shit he is experiencing now.

anyone knows why "estimulating the vagus nerve on the neck" will slow down heart rate?

wasnt the vagus nerve part of the parasympathetic system?

I don't know your doctor or his specialty so I can't really answer that for you. You are the one who had the checkup so it's on you to pay attention to that kind of thing, though it's his responsibility to make sure you understand. The blame could fall on both, but I've dealt with retarded as fuck patients before who don't get it no matter how long you explain, so what can we do? Something must be off if you have a check up every three months, you're only supposed to go in once a year for that. Ask a cardiologist what he thinks of a resting heart rate that is consistently over 100. Likely he'll think you're a retard and have an US done to check for hypertrophy and give beta blockers.

But some parts of the body (e.g the brain) are voulnerable to high blood pressures, if he lays down while his heart is on maximum power the pressure will rise drastically in his head (because of gravity), and might cause serious damage. I would not lay down before the pulse falls under 130 again

Increased parasympathetic activity will have a parasympathetic response in the body. This will slow the heart rate, which is nice when the heart rate is too high.

It's true we don't straight up supine, but he can handle 35% better than powerwalking while hyperventilating. I don't know his blood pressure though. Maybe he shat and pissed so much from the coffee he is hypovolemic and that is why his pulse is racing like that. Unlikely but this is a shits and giggles scenario. I'm not so worried about ICP in a situation like that.

Took speed had a heartbeat over 200 felt great

The powerealking was just my first idea to get down the blood pressure (mainly because of the arm movement, the hyperventilation was just an addition)
Other options might include eating, or doing sports. Because if the body is in fight or flee mode, the easyiest solution is to just fight of flee

120 isn't that high. if it's above 150+ that's when it should get concerning. have him forcefully cough and splash ice water on his face.

Fight or flight is a single mode, they are the same thing. Sympathetic nervous system. What we want is rest or digest, the other single mode. Parasympathetic. Since caffeine is known to precipitate panic attacks the hyperventilation is dangerous, he's already breathing too fast. That would further increase blood pressure since the CO2 keeps vessels nice and fat.