It was actually a good call if you know anything about football

It was actually a good call if you know anything about football.

1. Contrary to what everyone thinks, Lynch had trouble on the goal line that season. This seems weird because he was possibly the best RB at the time. The reason he struggled was because Seattle's offensive line sucked. Handing the ball off would be putting faith in a shitty line, not the NFL's top RB. For those of you who think a dive up the 2 would have been a surefire touchdown, I suggest you reconsider.

2. Had they run it on 2nd and gotten stopped they would have been forced to call their last time out. On 3rd they would have had to throw so NE would be more prepared to cover the pass.
Instead they pass on second (which NE wasn't expecting), leaving the option to run or pass on third.

3. A pick play hadn't been intercepted all season so there was no appearant risk in throwing.

Also, if you watch Wilson, Lockette and Kearse, all 3 of them don't execute on that play. Bad location by Wilson, Lockette couldn't get through Browner to set the pick and Kearse didn't run his route very hard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MeNYQaS3rZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>hey Pete, would you like to win a second straight Super Bowl?
>nah, I'll pass

>It was actually a good call if you know anything about football.

Nope, only a fool doesn't try to stuff that shit in there with Lynch

>wasnt expected.
>a nobody read play and pulled in a easy pick.

Its was a risky call that failed. Carol was trying to be edgy, thats all there is too it.

late game. D tired as fuck. no way Lynch wouldnt have got in.

Holy fuck did you even read the post. A PICK PLAY HADN'T BEEN INTERCEPTED ALL SEASON, THERE WAS EFFECTIVELY NO RISK IN CALLING THAT PLAY ON THE GOAL LINE.

Nope. Doesn't matter if you have Walter Payton in your backfield, if the line sucks, no td. Seattle's line sucked, running isn't a good call.

Actually it was fixed, the patriots practiced the same exact play earlier

>no risk
>intercepted by a nobody.

It's the perceived risk that's relevant to determining whether or not it's a good call. Of course it looks bad in hindsight, but before the play there was abolutelutely no appearant risk because A PICK PLAY HADN'T BEEN INTERCEPTED ONCE (1 SINGLE TIME) ALL SEASON.

honestly I dont think it was a horrible call but its not a good call in that spot either.
even with no picks all season it is still holds much more risk.

think of this way.
Lynch runs it but fumbles on the 1 and NE recovers. your not going to consider that a bad call. Its still safest call even if D knows its coming.

or maybe you even let wilson run a sneak or bootleg thats much less risk then what they ran imo

Bootleg can end in a sack which would have been a disaster and running it isn't a good call in that situation (see point 2). Throwing a fade is the only other ideal call there.

A pick pay is only risky whenever not run correctly. Seattle ran it as poorly as an underthrown fade. It's a good call if the players do their jobs.

>

That wasn't a pick play retard. It was a quick slant. You just confirmed that you don't know anything about football.

Also lynch carried it 9 yards on the play before. But ya, that last 1 yard would have been tricky cus of all the times he didn't get in during the regular season 3 months ago...

It's still a pick play

>It was a quick slant

No it wasn't, it was a pick. You know how Lockette tried to run into Butler so that Kearse would be open? Yeah, that's the definition of a pick play you fucking idiot.

>Also lynch carried it 9 yards on the play before. But ya, that last 1 yard would have been tricky cus of all the times he didn't get in during the regular season 3 months ago...

1. Goal line defensive package/play call is more apt to defend the run than the previous package/playcall, so yeah it would have been tricky. Also NE was expecting the run so they loaded the box even more.

2. With the owl on the line you can bet the defensive line would do a pretty good job. Considering Seattle's offensive line was shit, I like their chances at stopping Lynch who had a measly 20% goal line rate.

>trip fags and anime posting retards don't know how football works
I'm shocked, to be honest

I know how football works. You kick a round ball into a net defended by a goalkeeper.

Stupid image. Same justification a Sup Forumsfag spamming racism would make.

Wow, you should fuck off to one of those boards then to discuss cartoon children's feet you fucking loser

Of course it was the right call. Butler made an incredible read and executed perfectly

Also do you neck beard virgems really believe you know more about football than a professional NFL coach? The call was perfectly justified, butler just bested everyone

you never, ever pass before 3rd down on the goal line with the game on the line. it doesn't matter what schemes you use before that point.

The team had practised for this play before

youtube.com/watch?v=MeNYQaS3rZI

>pick play

Doesn't this thread belong in Sup Forums?

>Australia shows up to tell us a thing or two about american football

>1. Contrary to what everyone thinks, Lynch had trouble on the goal line that season.
First of all, he only had 6 attempts all season, that's not enough to judge a player.
Second of all, NE had a SHIT run defense on goal to go with 1 yard.

>2. Had they run it on 2nd and gotten stopped they would have been forced to call their last time out. On 3rd they would have had to throw so NE would be more prepared to cover the pass.
No, no, no.
26 seconds left on 2nd down start.
>0 yard run
~15 ish seconds to get to the line.
3rd down
Standard HB power, gut, iso, literally any straight forward run play.
>CALL TIMEOUTpic related

They literally only show this play, they practiced way more than just this and in no way prepared for it anymore than any other.

>Pick play

It's called a rub route, since picks are illegal. The only people who call this a pick play are scout team shitheels who have never played a single down of actual football that wasn't on senior day.

There is illegal by the book and there is illegal by the refs.....

And thence there is the rub route, which was the play that was called. A pick is is when the receiver makes contact with the defender. It is illegal both by the bookids and the refs. It's easy to mix these up when you've never played the actual game you claim to be knowledgeable about.

> A pick is is when the receiver makes contact with the defender. It is illegal both by the bookids and the refs
No, no, no, refs routinely, every single week, are easy on blocking early for the offensive.
You know, don't deny it.

Forgive me if I'm not persuaded by the vast amounts of televised football you seem to be watching that would backup your uneducated claim. I've played the game and studied more film then you'll ever see in a lifetime, it's a rub route.

I think he's trying to say a pass was not intercepted from the 1 yard line in any game all season.

Passing was correct as you have a time out and can call literally anything next 2 plays

Throwing the ball was not a bad call, but the play they picked was. Expecting a manlet like Kearse to pick the biggest, strongest corner in the league is just foolish, and the Seahawks really should have known better because Browner played for them before he went to New England

>running it with beast mode on 2nd down from the two isn't a good call in that situation

>alternate universe
>pete carrol calls a run play
>hand off to lynch
>lynch gets dropped at the goal line, ball is loose
>literal who malcom butler picks it up and returns it for a td
>autists on Sup Forums make 6 threads a day hence forth saying he should have called a pass play

>playing an obvious known tendency on a critical play is a good call
wew this is too much for me

>Kearse
>manlet

stop using words incorrectly

Weird because I call it that and started both ways my junior and senior year.

The only people who think there's a single term for any given thing in the English language are small town losers who have never left their home state.

Welcome to football. If a risky play works it's dissected and called one of the GOAT plays. If it doesn't work it's called the shittiest play call ever and the coach should probably be fired.

>>obvious known tendency
>all-knowing Bill Belichick thought they were going to run

Known by who exactly you fucking moron?

>It was actually a good call

Stopped reading there

Suck my dick OP I'll fucking end you

Yeah, remember that time Sean Payton onsided to open the second half. What an idiot, cost him an owl.

>since picks are illegal
Not all of them, fucker

uh what? Did you read my post?

>It's called a rub route, since picks are illegal.
stupid fucking distinction from a didactic faggot; a rub is just a legal pick. only difference is whether the ref has his eyes open

oh wait nevermind I'm retarded. It's late and I didn't get it at first.

rubs can be legal if done right, all you have to do is run your route in a way that causes the defender to run into you or get thrown off for a step trying to dodge you.

it's like a screen in basketball, if you do it right it's perfectly legal.

I was making a joke that people would have criticized Peyton if his gutsy call in the owl hadn't worked. Instead they deep throated him the entire next season.

I think it's especially funny with Pete Carroll and that owl they lost. Right before the half they got a td with no time left because he decided against a field goal. Collinsworth's response, "Great call by Pete Carroll." Then at the end of the game Carroll decides to make another bold call and Collinsworth says, "I'm sorry but I can't believe the call."

yeah I got it after a little bit. People really don't understand taking a calculated risk. It was a gutsy call that in all honesty was a good idea but in the end cost them the game.

>Known by who exactly you fucking moron?
You'd know if you were paying attention to football that season.

The Patriots had practiced against the very slants play before the game. Why would they do that? Because they knew the Seahawks had done it in other games previously. The corners saw the personnel they brought to the goal line, recognized what was coming and Browner and Butler blew the Seahawks out of orbit. The pick was never allowed to happen and then Butler had an idea of how to disrupt the play because it'd been bothering him after being scored on in practice.

>throwing to the inside at the goal line
>the shehawks
wew

The ideal play would have been a fake-reverse QB sneak that could be converted into a passing play with 2 TEs. Here's a shitty mockup that I made in MS Paint.

Could end in a sack which would be devastating

t. Pete Carroll

Anyways, I think they could have put a shotgun spread offense and call a read option if the defense covered all WRs or sticks/flats if the defense stacked the box.
It wouldn't be the first time the Seahawks got a TD with a read option.

It wouldn't be the first time they got a td on a pick play, i.e. it was a good call.

>read option
>inside the 5

Stick to divegrass

There were 8 man on the box, throwing the ball there is always more or less risky with so manymany opponents

>best rb

Arian Foster
Demarco
Bell
Forte

All were the better back

>throwing it to the box right next to 2 defenders
>on the goal line

Stick to bull prepping

Next to two defenders? Kearse is wide open if they run the play correctly.

>if they run the play correctly

And if the defense ran theirs correctly he wouldn't be wide open
It was a risky call which would end in an incomplete in many cases

not one of those guys has a ring lol

Barry Sanders doesn't either and he was a horrible RB.

is... is that malcolm bulters dick?