SLEEP WELL BEAST WHEN

it's been out to the press for days same as planetarium was, journos and random people have bragged about having it

the difference being that Sufjan is an interesting and talented artist worth caring about whereas the National should have given up after Boxer because they clearly have no clue what they're doing anymore

Well that's just like, your opinion man

I'm just a bit baffled it hasn't leaked yet. Most albums at this stage of being available to the press have been leaked, even moreso with a big act like the national

Uh, High Violet was great.

You know a dude from The National made up a third of the Planetarium project right

1/4th actually. It's Sufjan Stevens, Bryce Dessner, Nico Muhly, and James McAlister

Was Planetarium good?

Very. Highly recommend checking it out.

Just cause they found their sound and are hellbent on perfecting it, doesn't mean they have substance. The band still makes crazy progress, especially Matt's lyrics on TWFM and Dessners' everythin, Bryce now gets into production and even produces a lot of things not even for The National.
They honestly have no need in changing their sound besides adding small iterative changes (like the fuzz on High Violet, or some bleep-bloops like it seems to be going to be on SWB) because their sound is already so distinctive that there is no band in the mainstream that sounds anywhere close.
Their songs also tend to open themselves more when a person lives with them for a little while, Frank did the same on Blonde and there was a ton of people praising him for it.
All of these things add up to The National having a very dedicated fanbase that's probably going to listen to most anything they do, but they also don't try to alienate anybody.

doesn't mean they don't have substance* oops

They played new songs live and they sound great
There was video on Pitchfork channel and it's no longer available

what the fuck is this 'substance' that you're so keen to insist on? it's such a vague criticism to say that something lacks 'substance'

Saw them do 4 new songs at Glasto
This album will be awesome
Excited for Turtleneck, reminds me of Abel or Mr November in terms of energy

Did anyone check out their show in Paris on Pitchfork's YouTube? Played a lot of their new stuff. And Guilty Party's out, as of this morning.

Can't wait for the album. Seeing them at the Hollywood Bowl in October.

Does anyone under the age of 35 actually care about The National?

Don't get me wrong, I like their stuff, but they seem to be so middle aged in sound and themes compared to their contemporaries

Am 20. Am big fan.

I've been listening to them since high school. They do have that sound though.

100% agree. Their songs are only deceptively "boring". Really they're just mature artists that have honed a distinct skill to near perfection. You honestly don't find that many artists like that.

21, I've been a fan since I listened to Trouble will Find Me in senior year of high school after a breakup.

returning to the main question: leak when?

yea even if i cant directly relate to all of the lyrics i still enjoy their music quite a lot

22 here, been a fan since 15

>the national
at least the album title is accurate

I think I mostly agree but I have to say Matt's lyrics and vocal peformances are getting increasingly lazy

I just kinda predict exactly what his lyrics are going to be about and like at this stage, they all seem to be about failing relationships and miscommunication or whatever with a little hint at social commentary here and there. They're fine, but I just feel like this consistently fine is getting boring

And his vocal performances are just so drab constantly, just look at this performances on Ali gator, they're just so much more varied, now they're always in the exact same moany tone

kek

The NAtional are Pitchfork approved version of Elbow

23 here, Have been listening to them since I was 16

20, been listening since I was 13

20. Listening since I was 15.

13 here, have been listening to them since I was 21.