I dont understand Dream Pop

If Dream Pop eschews everything that makes pop music pop music, why does it have 'Pop' in its name?

because it doesnt eschew everything that makes pop music, pop music

It definitely isn't accessible which I think is the most important aspect of pop music.

Wrong

that's incorrect

look it's one thing to claim that shit like Radiohead isn't accessible despite its massive popularity, because it's true that their music is kind of awkward and weird.

But you have to be seriously retarded to claim that lullabies aren't accessible. Because that's what dream-pop is, essentially. A bunch of fucking lullabies. It doesn't get more accessible than songs even a toddler is supposed to connect with.

Dream pop is like even less popular than classic rock. That is pretty fucking inaccessible for something that's supposed to be pop music.

classic rock is massive you retard

Dream pop is supposed to resemble lullabies?

Holy shit. I am awoken. I think I'm starting to understand.

It's still really accessible tho

Not where I live (Australia)

Classic rock isn't inaccessible at all you fucking moron, it definitely doesn't cater to the same audience as dream pop, and dream pop aesthetics are huge in mainstream indie (reverb vocals, chill aesthetic with reverb).

of course, why do you think it's called "dream" pop?

accessibility isn't measured by popularity. popularity relates more to how well something is marketed and sold

dream pop is, literally, just pop with more of a focus on atmosphere

popular =/= accessible.

The only reason dream pop isn't more popular is because it isn't advertised as much.

also
>even less popular than *massively popular genre*

Dream pop consists of airy atmospheres, typical ABAB radio pop structures, and highly melodic/catchy melodies/harmonies. It's easy to digest thus accessible regardless of whether normies think the surface aesthetic of it is odd or not.

normies think entirely in hazy surface notions on what the music they're listening to sounds like

Dream pop isn't exactly the most accurate label, don't read too much into it.

Shoegaze and noise pop would be the terms you're looking for. It's pop, ABAB song structures at its core, but far from being chart topping material.

Thanks, this is definitely the impression I got from a lot of it.

its just a name, dont think about it too much

The term pop has far more to do with song structure and reliance on melody than the genre itself being popular.
Dreampop is one of the few genres that hits the nail on the head with its name, they way the vocals are obfuscated and the particular progressions used are supposed to invoke a nostalgia for something you either haven't experienced or barely remember the experience, almost "dreamlike".
Shoegaze is a little different but similar, and they both have a lot of crossover.

There's pop, and then there's pop.