"Rock is dying because it is so obsessed with the past

>"Rock is dying because it is so obsessed with the past.
>Hip-hop is evolving and innovating because it has freed itself from the past."

Is he right?

he's right about rock
but if lil peep / lil pump / et al are the evolution then evolution should just stop

lmao no

Oh yeah because Hip Hop is sooooooo innovative at the moment...

>genres can die

by this logic classical music died a long time ago. things fall in and out of popularity all the time its a cycle not a bar graph.

No. There's been a shit ton of great rock in the last few years. It's just not as popular.

The trap-influenced hip hop produced these days will not age very well and in ten years it will be regarded as tacky and severely outdated.

You do realize that you posted the most innovative trap rapper of all time, right?

it's not cool to like rock music anymore! death grips is where it's at! the closer it sounds to the 2014 mlg youtube video parodies the better!!!!

>Innovative
>Trap Rapper

embarrassing

That's like saying the hottest ice cube

Wew
wEw
weW

>the most innovative trap rapper
that's what's so embarrassing, user.
This is the best and it's still god awful.

That doesn't really reflect well, you know...

Trap is going our New Wave and Danny Brown is our post-punk

COUNTRY BILLY MADE A COUPLE MILLY

whenever Sup Forums talks about hip hop I'm reminded about how this board is a bunch of overweight fedora wearing metalheads mixed with some rich /fa/ wearin indie rock kids who are severely out of touch with today's music

this holy shit

>being controlled by marketing this much

>hurr trap/pop rap is the only thing that exists right now

you guys are fucking retarded holy shit. the OP was a general statement, it wasn't just about fucking pop music.

there are dozens of innovative hip-hop records that have come out both in the mainstream and the underground this decade, pushing boundaries in new ways that simply weren't possible a couple decades ago.

even if we are going by pop, you're forgetting MBDTF, and TPAB, and the new ATCQ for example. and then with the underground you've got Danny Brown's last album, and of course Death Grips, and clipping., and LUM, and countless others putting out truly innovative material.

what is rock music doing to match that, in this decade?

>MUH POP MUSIC IS CORPORATE BRAINWASHING REEEEEEEE
>MY MUSIC IS SUPERIOR BECAUSE ITS NOT POPULAR

garage revival

thank you for this

haha what

4ll m3

>garage revival
that's obviously extremely innovative and groundbreaking

noise rock

bleep rock

This is 100% true though. As long as rock allows windbags like dadrockers, buttrockers and old neocon retired rockers (Gene Simmons etc) to dominate the scene with their dated opinions, the genre will be stale.

>muh poptimism

>revival
Literally the cancer that killed rock.

if you've listened to it, it sounds pretty fresh to me

>out of touch with today's music

so stuff that's been done countlessly over the last few decades?

>No. There's been a shit ton of great rock in the last few years. It's just not as popular.

Yes, you're getting it. It's underappreciated by the journos but still good regardless of how much they're paid to hype shit.

>muh contrarianism
I used to be like that too, man. Life gets a lot more fun if you enjoy things that a lot of other people enjoy as well, and you'll see that pop music and hip hop really isn't so bad. It's toxic to just hate everything that's popular, taking pride in separating yourself from society only hurts you in the long run

When's the last time hip hop actually innovated? Any innovation in the genre is just sloppily incorporating elements from other genres. Even then, hip hop is always held to a lesser standard.

>Rock is dying because it is so obsessed with the past
It always has. The 60s-70s guys worshiped old bluesmen and 50s R&R and the 80s-90s guys worshiped 70s AOR.

Another thing to take into consideration is the death of the "rockstar." The last rock artist who was iconic enough to reasonably be considered a true rockstar is pic related.

>toxic
you didn't need to explicitly say you were a faggot, but thanks anyways. i don't hate all pop music, but if you think just because it's popular it's good, you're a retard. trap, for the most part, isn't fun. it's boring as hell.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

>Muh arbitrary cross-genre "standards"

I'd say that My Chemical Romance would probably take the last huge rock artist title.

>muh arbitrary separation of genres

>Trap isn't fun, it's BORING!
>Well a lot of people enjoy it and have fun listening to it
>Yeah but you don't understand though, I'm saying it's boring and I don't like it it, therefore it's BORING!
Top lel

He is right about rock though, Bruce Springsteen, the Stones, and Don Henley have released new work within the last year or so and everyone and their mother doesn't give ah fuck

>Judging a cake by the same metrics as a roast chicken or a steak
Lel m8. Cross genre ratings are pointless.

>because a lot of people enjoy it it's good
you're just as narrow minded as the 15 year old who says all popular music sucks. just because a lot of people like it doesn't mean it's good

Maybe as a band but I literally can't even name a single one of their members

The burden of proof is on you. You're saying trap is "boring" and "not fun", so prove it objectively

He never said that

Kinda. Writing music about your fucking problems was okay, but people eventually got tired of it, that's what rock all about. And drinking, sniffing cocaine and fucking whores all day long will never get old, 'cause everybody loves it, and that's what rap is all about.

This. There's some decent stuff out there that just doesn't get the coverage. Its time will come again, it's all cyclical.

Different bloke, prove that it's fun

hard mode: do it without mentioning popularity

>Danny Brown, Death Grips, and LUM
>underground
You're so out of touch it hurts

Who gives a fuck about being """"in touch""""?

>"this chicken has shit on it and is disgusting"
>"i can't believe you're judging poulet a la caca by the same standards as other chicken"
even in fantano's review of that young thug album, he admitted that he critiqued the lyrics more harshly because there were more singer/songwriter elements

Because people have fun listening to it. By definition, that is what makes something fun, unless there is some new scientific definition of fun that I'm unaware of.

>The burden of proof is on you.

Some people do, but other people don't have fun listening to it too.

There is, faggot, "amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable."

Something being mildly catchy to morons and marketed to morons =! fun

people also thought Grown Ups was a funny movie. Are you implying that because it's popular it's good? Is that See You Again song the most emotional ballad of all time because it's about to be the most watched music video ever?

>but mah rock is dying/dead!!!
Guess you haven't been to any local shows lately I guess

>Bruce Springsteen, the Stones, and Don Henley
All three of these guys sell out stadiums

Nice try though.

Trap is hair metal and Danny Brown may go the way of Brian eno or bowie

Trap rap currently is going through the motions barely anything of note from the entire genre. And this genre has been around for damn near a decade

>being this assblasted because your favorite genre is degenerate mass consuming garbage and people denounce it rightfully so

>Life gets a lot more fun if you enjoy things that a lot of other people enjoy as well, and you'll see that pop music and hip hop really isn't so bad
>really isn't so bad
Or you could avoid something that "really isn't so bad" altogether and just listen to what you like, regardless of popularity

Underageb&

Kill yourself

> ughhh why don't people like pseudo-deep top 40 garbage like me?

there are countless 17 year old girls wearing Stones shirts right this minute

You're shifting the goalposts to "good". A lot of things people enjoy (including virtually all popular music) aren't good by some strict academic standard. That doesn't mean that people can't enjoy those things or that magazine reviewers can't give those things good reviews based on their own personal standards. If you don't like the reviews that trap albums get, you're more than welcome to create your own rating system on your own personal blog and give every trap record a 0.
Ok right, so nothing is objectively "fun" or "boring", thus making "it's not fun" an invalid line of criticism
Wew lad. I meant a scientific standard. Again, prove that trap isn't "fun" by some objective metric or admit that this is just your opinion.

How about you prove it is fun without mentioning popularity.

Reminder: catchy =! fun

I'm talking about new album drops which you don't hear about everywhere and played on every radio station like you would have say thirty years ago

there's a difference between being free from the past and not remembering the past

No one can. All fun is subjective. No music is more fun than any other type of music.

Incidentally this is when rock shifted from traditional to alternative.

Rock is just underground now, and there aint nothing wrong with that, it doesnt mean its not evolving. Fantano is just pandering to his wigger fanbase.

comparing Danny to Bowie is an insult to Danny

there have been several noteworthy trap releases in the last couple years, such as Rodeo and JEFFERY

Rapfags dont even know any underground artists

>I'm talking about new album drops
The most recent Springsteen album I see is Chapter and Verse (2016) which sold 29,000 units

The most recent Stones album was Blue & Lonesome (2016) which sold 2,000,000 units.

The most recent Don Henley album is Cass County (2015) which sold approx 26,000 units.

Try again?

How so?

>toxic
Back to tumblr, fagboy

>How so?

how fucking dense are you?

>how fucking dense are you?
Not an argument.

Having trouble communicating your thoughts?

fuck off nigger

>shifting the goalposts
do you only speak in Reddit phrases? are you going to start listing fallacies next? you were the one who said it was good because it's fun. I said it isn't fun. you used the fact that a lot of people find it fun, so it must be fun. i compared it to how a lot of people find adam sandler movies funny and that a lot of people think See You Again is a touching ballad. It's not "shifting the goal post" to make that comparison you faggot

pointing out logical fallacies is reddit now?
oh brother

Damn, the bait actually worked

Today's trap music is fun because it's energetic and consists of almost exclusively of party vibes. These vibes constitute of things like drugs and sex, which is fun by the general consensus of our generation.

The fact that all you 35+ obese "FUCKING KEK REEEEE FROG HAHA"s are shitting on music that is subjectively fun is fucking pathetic. News flash! you don't have to hate """fun""" or """popular""" music to like unpopular music! A matter of fact, A Promise and Pulse Demon are two of my favorite albums, yet Travis Scott Rodeo is one of my favorites as well.

So for the love of god go the fuck out side and get off your goddamn high horse.

its not

>Again, prove that trap isn't "fun" by some objective metric or admit that this is just your opinion.
Not him, but can you prove it is "fun" by some objective metric or admit that this is just your opinion?

I don't like innovation in my rap music. I hope they never stop making boom bap

But compare those numbers to the global percentage of people estimated to spend money on music as of 2017. If you adjust for the last thirty years comparing that number now to what it once was you'll see that these bands aren't making the same amount of revenue as they use to

You're both faggots and this thread is shit. He's talking about how it's fun (which is subjective) and you're talking about how it's not fun and boring (which is also subjective). Completely useless arguments on both sides

more people ITT need to read this and stay quiet

These are three separate human organisms

I legitimately want to know who you're talking about. The only great rock I know is from the 90s at the latest. Who are the greats from the past few years?

>But compare those numbers to...
I don't need to because the claim was:
>everyone and their mother doesn't give ah fuck
Clearly over two million mothers give a fuck

>implying one case example proves your claim