I'm sorry sir, but our policy strictly forbids the distribution of employment data for our current residents

I'm sorry sir, but our policy strictly forbids the distribution of employment data for our current residents.

Anton Chigurh terrifies me

Where does he work.

Got a screwgy?

>wants to kill a friendly store clerk for no reason other than he bothered him
>doesn't torture and kill this fat cunt for directly getting in the way of his goals

Had the toilet not flushed, he'd have gutted that sow.

He considered killing the clerk because he had bothered to notice Chigurghs license plate. That made him a potential witness.

He clearly made a move towards the fat chick but he realized they weren't alone and the person in the bathroom was an unknown factor (potentially armed, etc.)

that haircut was a genius choice

Moss lit that goofy fuck up.

What type of firearms does Anton use during the movie?

I know he has two silenced guns, one of which is a shotgun, but I can't tell what the other is.

He uses it to shoot at a crow on a bridge and also in his first confrontation with Moss at a motel.

I'm pretty sure he leaves it behind when Moss ambushes him after getting in a car wreck.

Me too. Only movie character that's ever featured in my dreams.

a shotgun model that didn't exist at the time that this movie takes place

He had the cattle gun air thingy, he used it for door locks too.

a suppressed Intratec TEC-9 pistol

Intratec TEC-9

A gun infamous for being unreliable, why would someone like Chigurh use something like that

because it looks cool

How would somebody like Chigurh even be contacted in that time?

He's too mysterious and weird for that line of business imo.

imfdb.org

>he still thinks of shugerg as a hired gun
Come on guy

He contacted you. If you had work for him, you'd let him know.

source: common sense

well maintained and properly used TEC-9s aren't especially unreliable, and you can put 50rd magazines into it, its a little strange but for the time period its a pretty legit weapon if space/concealability are a concern

>except he couldn't hit a bird with it

this was used by the cartel not chigurh.

Most people don't take care of their guns.

>Anton fucking Chigurh is most people

What in the FUCK was the point of Tommy Lee Jones' character? He did absolutely nothing to help anyone involved

>What in the FUCK was the point of Tommy Lee Jones' character?
He did absolutely nothing to help anyone involved
Trust me, my info is kino

>NCFOM

He was a metaphor for what most guys would do in that situation. Be two steps behind and almost get yourself killed.

This guy knows what the fuck is up. Two random people is more trouble than it's worth, over something minor. Anton prefers to prey one-at-a-time in such situations.

On the other hand, if it's part of the mission, and involves the criminal element, Anton is prepared to come in, literally with guns blazing (the suits, the Mexicans, the Man Who Hires Wells and his accountant).

I've just realized a new component of Anton's killing that I never realized before: he is more likely to commit multiple murders in one crime scene if his victims are themselves among the criminal element. By contrast, the sherriff's deputy and all the randoms whose cars he steals after he kills them (as well) are one-offs.

Maybe he got it from the cartel guys, but he used it.

He was a middle ground persona that the audience could relate to (in a sense)
he's definitely not a catalyst to the situation (like the other two) but he plays the role as the spectator

Fuck I feel stupid now

I don't think killing her would have suited his character at all. The whole point is that he doesn't kill at random or because someone has annoyed him, they have to fit into his philosophy.

he convinced the wife to tell him where the cowboy was so he could go help him

wasn't really helpful tho

Dead wrong hombre, TLJ was the protagonist and possibly the most important character, way way more than you're giving him credit for, he is essentially the titular character

Why would he flip for the gas station guy then?

It's widely accepted that Chigurh killed Carla Jean, but did he kill that accountant in that one scene where Chigurh kills the man who hired him?

That depends, did you see him?

w-whats the correct answer. I feel like Chigurh would kill a man just for lying to him

He killed him.
If he had said, no i didn't see you.
He would've lived.

yeah if you watch closely, he walks out the house afterwards and checks his boots if they have blood on them.

I strongly disagree, because there is direct evidence in the film itself to the contrary, whcih directly contradicts what you've just written.

Carson Wells is established as a man who knows Anton, knows who he is and how he thinks. We are to take his appraisal of Anton more-or-less at face value. And what does Carson have to say about Anton?

Carson says,"He'd kill you just for... /inconveniencing/ him."

Anton's philosophy /is/ that if someone is in his way, even perhaps to the point of annoying him (and not just being a material liability like the gas clerk), then that person is fair game. It was clearly on Anton's face how he might go about gutting this woman, in the sequence, but for the toilet-flush. This is why the woman is so clearly taken aback as Anton exits: you can spot a weird-o, women even more effectively.

>It's widely accepted that Chigurh killed Carla Jean

I know this user

Because that guy was a valid target/participant/player/whatever in Anton's head. What the above poster said too, that the clerk had noted him license plate, but I think Chigurh would have left him even then if he didn't feel he fit in somehow (not to mention the fact that after all that he did actually leave him alive if somewhat freaked out anyway).
Some of the later scenes give Chigurh this kind of Terminator presence but I think he's more like the travelling hero/anti-hero who stops in to help when he finds a problem, assuming he feels like helping and not just walking on, but in reverse, like a travelling villain with a very distorted moral compass who will wreak havoc or do nothing as and when he sees fit.

Even the second motel clerk's death is not proof-positive, in the film. The last we hear of him is that he was "shot", per the other sheriff toward the end, but not necessarily killed (although this is of course an obvious and likely possibility).

The point is that several of the people that we are to reasonably assume that Anton has killed, we do not know for a fact, in the isolated narrative of the film itself (leaving its source material aside) that those people were in fact killed. This plays into my pet "~12-15" theory about the movie, which I've beaten to death in previous Sup Forums threads about the movie.

She should have said,"get the fuck out of my face you autistic cut spic".

He was overwhelmed and couldn't handle it. What do you think the title meant?

Carson Wells establishes himself as a man who knows his way around Chigurh's mind, and is then promptly killed by him. You can take his questionably well informed (also unarguably entirely biased) appraisal at face value if you want, but you can't say for a fact that the viewer is 'supposed' to do that or that that is the 'correct' way to read any of Carson's scenes.
He claims Chigurh would kill on a whim for petty reasons, and he sometimes does, but the fact remains that he sometimes doesn't.
Carson's understanding of Chigurh's philosophy is piecemeal, which is understandable considering what a spook Chigurh is and how hard putting together information on a man like that would be, but I think taking every word he says as red is a bit of a reach.

t. Marvel fanboy Redditor

I always thought it meant that nobody lives to an old age in that part of the country because of all the rootin' tootin' shootin'

I had the same hairstyle in highschool, it was practically social suicide, though I'm glad the movie wasn't around at the time or else it could have been so much worse.

That would be more like 'Country Without Old Men', 'No Country' implies rather that it is not a place for old men

No you didn't

what are some similar movies like this?

This is a fair, spirited, and civil rebuttal of my points. Thank you!

In reply, I would point out to you that Anton's depiction and portrayal are uniformly consistent with this admittedly biased line of Carson's, to your point. That is why I say that that is how the audience is intended to understand Anton: not only does the character's portrayal never give any wiggle room for another interpretation, but more generally, this presentation of the antagonist is in the historical tradition of the Coen's Implacable Villain. The biker dude from Raising Arizona, Peter Stormare in Fargo, that sherrif guy with the glasses in O Brother.

It seems we simply have a spirited disagreement as to interpretation, and that we have both made good points. We are are thus at a happy impasse.

the counselor
its much worse however

Idk user

Sicario?

He's basicly the hero who never really answers the call to action. Sure he investigates shit and follows leads but he never throws himself in to the fray. I think he says when he was younger he would do shit like that but now he realized sometimes the more u try to recover the more you end up losing

He cut his losses because the world just ain't fair

There is nothing else like it but Sicario is worth watching on its own and kiiiiiiiiiiinda has the same vibe

I seriously did. The only comparison I got was to the depp version of willy wonka as that shitshow came out.

It would have. The toilet flush made him think twice. He can and will kill two people (the accountant and the other guy), but only if he knows he can get away with it and it's a necessity.

He didn't have to kill the woman (which would mean also having to kill the guy in the bathroom) because he didn't feel like it was worth it.

He's calculated. He doesn't go around shooting everyone who cuts him off in traffic or gives him a mean look.

If chigur is such a badass how does he get caught by idiot cop #3 in the beginning?

I want to hear your theory

because he's not a run and gun type badass. He doesn't shoot everyone who gets near him. He knew he would be able to strangle the cop later. Why risk openly shooting a police officer (or the chance the cop could shoot him back).

He's not going to kill a cop on the street for pulling him over. He killed the one civilian for his car (Because he was that, a civilian).

Sure thing.
I get what you're saying but I think maybe you're focused a bit too much on what (of Chigurh) is portrayed visually, what is given to the viewer, and not enough on the more metaphysical principles that seem to guide him (the principles that would come into question on the discussion of whether he would kill the woman behind the desk if he could and why).
That latter point is something discussed to death by basically everyone who has written any analysis of this film (mostly because it's absolutely fascinating), but the long and short of it is that we, as the audience, have at least one scene and often more through the eyes of each of the most central characters (Bell, Moss, Carla Jean and Carson Wells), all save for Chigurh. I don't think this is because those are the 'good guys' and Chigurh is the 'bad guy' but rather because the audience is as those other characters are kept completely in the dark about who Chigurh is and what drives him. Everyone tries to figure him out, the audience included, and in the end tries to reason with him ('You don't have to do this' etc.) only to find him, as you described, utterly implacable. The audience is given an impression of Chigurh as a fairly stereotypical unscrupulous killer, only to have their understanding dashed when he spares a man with potentially threatening information on the outcome of a coin toss, or murders an innocent who can do him no harm likewise on a game of chance.
The wiggle room for interpretation is there, the point however is that Chigurh, more than just implacable, is perhaps beyond understanding, and I think lends himself more to the otherworldly elemental 'villains' that exist in other examples of Cormac McCarthy's literature (specifically the Judge) than the influence of the Coen brothers.

Yeah but if a rando cop can subdue him, anybody could

Ok so him and the cop are gay lovers, the cop's name is Phillip. So, one day Phillip suggests they get kinky, chiggie(Phillip's pet name for him) agrees reluctantly. So once he's in cuffs he arrests him and reveals he was CIA undercover. You can see the hurt in chigur's eyes as he viciously murders the only man he allowed himself to love.

Chigurh (as explained to Carson Wells in the novel) allowed himself to be arrested for killing a man in a parking lot after the man said something Chigurh didn't like. He Chigurh wanted to see if he could "will" his way out of the situation

>I can't give out that INT-formation

did anyone else notice this?

>kiiiiiiiiiiinda

what did he mean by this? Is this how they type in Reddit?

>walk into living room
>see anton sitting on your couch

wat do, Sup Forums?

if you don't own a gun, he has his signature silenced one in his hand. if you do, the one you own is currently in his hands so gun on gun action between you two

Didnt woody say he'd kill someone just for inconveniencing him?

>*teleports behind Chigurgh*
>*unsheathes katana*
>kill him in one swipe
>heh heh...nothing personnel kid

From the novel's perspective he mainly talked about how times were changing and he couldn't keep up.
>No Country For Old Men

>You don't have to do this Anton.

>You always say the same thing. If you eat this bowl of eggs I will let you live and we will never see each other again.

>b-b-but why?

>JUST EAT THE EGGS.

Lot of loyalty for a hired gun.

> Pretending you've ever shot a gun