NBA will consider shortening games due to millennial attention spans

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DNGmD6FcQdY
imgur.com/gallery/fRdlU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Unneccesary cynicism in the title, because low Attention span or no low attention span. Reducing the drag of the final minutes of a basketball game by a bit is a good idea.

It all comes down to the last 5 mins anyway...

the first 3 quarters are filler

The games are not that long there are too many. 82 games is more than enough to settle a playoff bracket. They could get by with 50.

All not-in-the-act-of-shooting fouls committed under 3 minutes left in a game are an automatic 2 shots, automatic 3 shots if you're in the double bonus. There I fixed the entire sport.

thats a nice way of saying "most of our fans are retards"

Olympic rules are so much better. Just switch to them

What's the difference

try just shortening the amount of useless games in a season..

Game length isn't the problem, the fact that 90% of the game is chucking threes and drawing fouls is

And this is why one "game" should actually be a best of 5 series of 12 minute matches
Can't just go through the motions for 90% of the game because each one is short.
Doesn't fuck up comparative statistics either (which is all that black people care about) since a onesided rape is still 36 minutes, about a starter's playtime, and a close 5 match series is basically overtime

The first half of basketball games are completely pointless and everyone knows it.

>Muh Blame Millennials for everything!

I mean, if a team goes up 40-10 in the first quarter to set the tone, then it's not filler
and that happens a lot

If you just make it so time outs and foul shots are the only way to stop the clock and not have sixty ways to manipulate the timer then the last 5 minutes won't become the last 20.

No other sport has this problem.

Millennials are cancer though

Only the 4th quarter matters anyway

>decrease season by 30+ games
Oh look, I fixed the NBA

>parade of shit relievers at the end of a baseball game such that half an inning takes an hour

I guess stoppage time isn't that bad of an idea after all
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

What exactly are you autists on about that only the 4th q. matters? Last time I checked the baskets count for the same amount of points in the 1st q. as the 4th.

While it is sadly becoming more commonplace, only 5 or 6 teams actually do that on a near-daily basis
Not surprising those are all the most hated managers

do you watch basketball?
there's a strategy whereby the losing team intentionally commits a foul to stop the clock, get the team on the foul line, and try to get the ball back to cut down the lead
it works sometimes!
watch these highlights from the a&m / Northern Iowa game and you'll see what I mean
youtube.com/watch?v=DNGmD6FcQdY

As long as the time keeping isn't utter shit, it might work.

>8s

nice meme

Because for 95% of the games when it gets into the late fourth, the teams are only about 5 points apart which amounts to pretty much nothing, and so the hour long foul-off ensues, and it becomes more about which 8 foot guy decided to take a 5 minute break from dunking to practice his free throws

This, the last half hour of the game, starting when there's a 1:30 on the gameclock, is easily the worst part of a basketball game.

Millennials should be gassed, if we're being honest.

ncaa and nba really need to start calling those as intentional fouls and eliminate it is a viable strategy. I know the nba paid some lip service to the idea this summer but nothing on the court has changed as far as refs enforcing it is concerned.

oh my bad that was just a legit awesome comeback
fuck that was a good game =(

All nda games should just be one 6 minute quarter desu

>team gets lead
>corrupt refs make calls to keep losing team close
>keep viewers interested so they watch ads
>score within 5 in last 30 seconds
>time for 10 minutes of ads and 5 more timeouts

Trashketball folks

Why don't they simply try to you know, make breaking the rules an actual punishment rather than a viable strategy?

they did
by creating the "bonus" rule

t. millenial

>Nobody checked these digits
disgusting ignorance Sup Forums i am disappoint

Making intentional fouls more punishable just muddies the waters even further. It gives even more discretion to officials and more opportunities to fuck games up because if the team could conceivably benefit from getting a foul call, you could argue they'd want to draw a foul.

As long as you get free points for a penalty, there will be people who try to engineer strategies to take advantage of that, ESPECIALLY when it stops the clock. When both sides can abuse it, it just becomes ten times worse.

I'd rather they completely redraw how foul penalties are handled rather than make intentional fouling and offense and creating even MORE drama.

It's easily the worst part of basketball besides the 3 point line. I've thought about a triple bonus, or even nonstandard solutions which would probably be really effective, like penalties relating to a team's cap for going over a certain deviation in the average fouls for that season, or something.

Shots from half court: 4 points
Shots from opposing team's free throw line and further: 5 points

Sounds like a bullshit study.

Did they stick a cellphone, tablet, game console, and TV in a person's vicinity and then ask them to listen to a lecture on marine biology or some shit?

Blernsball when?

because for most of the game, they more or less trade baskets and stay within a few points of one another, and then let foulball take over for the last two minutes to decide who will win

I like this idea, except that it just leads to them playing each match in the set like they play the end of games now.

le liposuction sow

>Every team just drafts snipers that can hit half court or further

30 minutes dedicated to mutual clicking gargling on court

Change basketball. Make it a best of five series game with five small games of 21 requiring the team to field all of their players available in game.

It doesn't sound bad.

This. It's not a millennial thing, it's an actual issue. Over half of the NBA season is literally filler. That said, I doubt they will really reduce it to make it "competitive." Way too much ad money to lose if they did.

Then it just makes the game pointless

No cuz there are 30 point swings

Are there

Are there really

Please post

>Implying making spectator friendly changes won't help ad revenue

Purely anecdotal, but most of the people I know, even the ones that are big into basketball, rarely sit down to a full game outside of playoff or championship games, and even then they'll probably skip unless it's do-or-die. They'll check the score every now and then, watch something else, and come back. This repeats until it's the last five minutes and if there's comeback potential, they'll watch. It's second only to baseball in the amount of apathy people have towards the game.

Warriors blew a 24 point lead to Memphis last week. 30 is rare but 15-20 happens often

they should shorten the season instead

i like this idea

either that or make any more than like 8-10 fouls in a quarter, 4 free throws

removing timeouts is good. HOWEVAH if he'd actually consider altering the time in each quarter or something, he should be removed 2bh.

I'd be in favor of reducing the number of timeouts by two each half and adding challenges like NFL does. Maybe adding a 4 point line would be cool for those half-court heaves or making a dunk three points to make sure teams are defending hard.

idiot title.

And people say Baseball is boring

You can skip the first three quarters of basketball and miss nothing. Even until there is 2 minutes left

NBA is seriously boring
no one puts any effort compared to nfl

>making a dunk three points

Absolutely fucking not.

Or how about reducing the amount of timeouts?

>nba thread
>posts cartoonish-assed white woman

Good day to you, Jamal

Every foul while in the bonus results in said player commiting the foul to sit for one minute and his team to play short handed.

That, or multi ball.

LAKERS FANS BTFO
HAHAHA
imgur.com/gallery/fRdlU

First three games of the season should be season elimination.

When a player is ejected due to making too many fouls, his team has to play one man down for the rest of the game.

Problem solved.

Stoppage time is a complete meme. And I say this as someone who likes divegrass.

>product is shit
>"It's the millenials and their attention spans fault!"

Everyone born after 1987 is a millennial

>the reason no one watches the NBA is the length of the game
>not travels, moving picks, palming, push offs, and all-around horrible officiating

it's almost as if people like watching a fair athletic competition and not meme players draining 3s due to negligent referees